Test on the 12th...freaking out!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ari1584

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so the mcat is on friday....and im having all the worst thoughts. After reading all the posts on the past couple exams, it seems the mcat is much more difficult than what i have been preparing for and i have this huge fear of sitting down and not recognizing ANY possible answers. i am just sooo scared bc i have been studying for 3+ months and i dont want it to go to waste. What if ALL that studying wasn't enough??? ahhh. is anyone else freaking out?? i dont know how to relax now :eek::(

Members don't see this ad.

Relax. You've studied. The exam I had this past August was not more difficult than previous exams, but I did feel BS was more passage based. I think a lot of people who have not taken the MCAT before tend to freak out about it. I think being in the right mind set during the MCAT is a huge factor. You've studied, so on test day be confident in yourself.

so the mcat is on friday....and im having all the worst thoughts. After reading all the posts on the past couple exams, it seems the mcat is much more difficult than what i have been preparing for and i have this huge fear of sitting down and not recognizing ANY possible answers. i am just sooo scared bc i have been studying for 3+ months and i dont want it to go to waste. What if ALL that studying wasn't enough??? ahhh. is anyone else freaking out?? i dont know how to relax now :eek::(

Be careful of over 'SDNing' yourself. Speaking from experience, after the MCAT and especially when posting on SDN, it's really easy to remember and vent about all of the bad/hard stuff and none of the good/easy things.

I think how you feel is natural, it's exactly how I felt before my exam, but I'm glad I went through with it. Do whatever you can to relax until your test, and the day of, remember to breath!

Agree with all of the above.

The MCAT is NOT harder than the practice exams. IMHO it was very, very similar to the AAMC practices. It's just nerves/feeling like you don't know anything, when really you do. All the practice exams were tricky too... but if you calm down and think through it, everything will fall into place.

I will note that BS is moving toward interpretation/analysis of biology experiment-based passages, and away from information passages and information regurgitation. But don't worry -- just relax, have confidence in yourself, and do your best :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the 12th too, and I've been at it for 3 mos as well. Bottom line is do not let SND freak you out. Read the AAMC site. The AAMC questions are REAL MCAT QUESTIONS. They don't have some secret stash in a dungeon that they torment for years until they are the most vile evil questions on the face of the planet. You have a selective memory for bad things, everyone does. It's a survival mechanism because avoiding those things that are bad is more important to your well-being than seeking out pleasure. Thus the only things you see posted on SDN are people whining about how tough the test was and how horrible the experience is and blah blah blah. Well big suprise! This test is a big deal, and it's like nothing you've every done before. All the cards are on the table and it's time to perform. Many people are uncomfortable in this situation so it breeds a lot of contempt. Just be confident in that you have prepared well and that in roughly 4 hours after entering that examination room you will emerge from the tunnel into the light!

well said.

To the OP: I'm taking the test on the 12th too. The last thing you wanna do right now is freak out. Thats not going to help in any way; it can only hurt you. Just breathe and relax. Easier said than done, of course. But seriously, most ppl complain about nerves affecting their mcat scores. I don't want to be a victim of nerves. lol