Test Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rexosaurus

CSU PVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am going to take a test prep class this summer and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to Kaplan versus Princeton Review, etc. I know they all cost a bit of money, and I am willing to spend it if it keeps me on track and I can end up with a better GRE than the first time around.....

Members don't see this ad.

Never took any of the test prep classes, but I have used both books. Kaplan seemed to be a little more complete, so if I had to pick a course based on that, I go with Kaplan.

Good Luck :luck:

I took the Princeton Review for the GRE and it helped a great deal. If I didn't take this course I would have not known all the tricks to do well on the GRE.

I chose Princeton vs. Kaplan because Princeton had a class size limit of 8 students... so more time with the teacher. Also, I was able to get a financial hardship tuition deduction with Princeton ( I'm sure you can do this with Kaplan too) because I was low income.

My suggestion: Take the GRE a week or two after the class ends because everything is still fresh in your head.
( I did poorly on my GRE because I thought I wasn't prepared enough and I waited until the following year to take it. Procrastination and fear of doing bad on the test didn't work for me.:( )

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Kaplan in my area. There was one other student with me, which sounds like it would be a good situation, but it turns out that student was WAYYY behind were I was and since everything was aimed at her level it slowed down my learning big time. The tricks and tips were helpful, but I would get that with the written material. I would look at the specific learning situation very carefully and if you are highly motivated save some money and just get the book materials.

I took Kaplan last summer and there were only 2 of us and it turned out well luckily. I found the class really helpful...but pitbull lover is right, take the test right after the class when it's fresh as a daisy!!!

I didn't take either course. Instead, I used books and a website called number2.com that has tips and practice questions as well as daily vocab. You might want to look into it.

thanks everyone for your input, i really appreciate it!:D

Some colleges and schools also offer a prep program, or offer practice testing (in front of a computer, so it's good simulation for the real thing) or even tutoring.

You may need to ask someone about it, because these opportunities may not be plastered in plain sight (believe it or not)!

Cambridge's book is very complete, too. Kaplan had a good nitty-gritty math review section and 'stuff to know' - general concepts and such.

Good luck :luck: ! Thank God I never have to take that crap again.

I did Kaplan tutoring because I have a history of doing miserably on standardized tests. It was expensive, but the individual attention was really helpful. We fixed my horrendous problems with reading comp. and were able to get my math score competative. I didn't want to take any chances after quiting everything to go back to school 3 years ago, so for me the price was small compared to the cost not being a vet for another year.

The other thing I thought was quite helpful for improving my verbal score was to subscribe to dictionary.com word of the day. Over time you really get familiar with new words which helps. I did this for 3 years so I'm not sure how much it'll help before you apply, but it certainly can't hurt!

You really have to know yourself. Some people really benefit from the structure of the course and others would do better to save 1000$ and just buy the workbook. I took the kaplan course and it brought my score up a lot. Two things I would recommend. First within the first few days if your teacher sucks....ask for a new teacher! I know some people who literally suffered through their course and made no improvement. Also I dont know if i would agree with taking the test immediately after the course. I took the accelerated two week schpeil and then went through alll the practice material in the month that followed...obviously, dont sit for a month doing nothing after the course and then take the exam, but you might want to continue practicing til its second nature and youre consistently hitting scores on practice CATs you'd like to see on test day. Good luck....