Tested Physics limited to optics, waves, electromag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lindyhopper

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NOTE: IN LIGHT OF THE POSTS, I NOW BELIEVE THIS STRAGETY IS FOOLISH. (Or, don't believe every fool thing you read on the internet.)

OK I'm basing this little theory on my hazy memory of the August '05 test. But it seems to be that of the physics topics there are only are few that relavant to biomedical research. I just can't see a passage about a brick being thrown from an airplane etc.
I'm wondering about the wisdom of more heavily focusing on the three mentioned topics. Am I courting :scared: :scared:?
Thanks for any insite.

Members don't see this ad.

Lindyhopper said:
OK I'm basing this little theory on my hazy memory of the August '05 test. But it seems to be that of the physics topics there are only are few that relavant to biomedical research. I just can't see a passage about a brick being thrown from an airplane etc.
I'm wondering about the wisdom of more heavily focusing on the three mentioned topics. Am I courting :scared: :scared:?
Thanks for any insite.

Yes. Focus on those. They are the most difficult for me conceptually. I had 3 passages on electromagnetism and 1 on waves. They hurt real bad.

There are many other things you need to know as well. The classic kinetics, collisions, heat/phase changes, gravity, projectiles. I wouldn't stick to those three topics you listed in the title. They can and will throw anything at you.

That sucks for you, but my friend got passages on "bricks falling out of airplanes" so you just got a harder version in aug 05 than him. this means that you can get passages on anything, so sticking to those 3 is a good recipe.............For death that is!! :smuggrin: hahaha ..........Im just kidding..

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose the high yield guessing game is inherently dicey. But I'm thinking that the aamc cut back on the orgo to focus on the medically relevant. The basics of Newtonian physics is not immediately relevant to anything. But it is a building block to subjects like electromag. & waves. These subjects are clearly important to research methods & medical imaging.
So personally, if I retake. I'll make certain I'm great at these subjects while hedging my bets.

Lindyhopper said:
I suppose the high yield guessing game is inherently dicey. But I'm thinking that the aamc cut back on the orgo to focus on the medically relevant. The basics of Newtonian physics is not immediately relevant to anything. But it is a building block to subjects like electromag. & waves. These subjects are clearly important to research methods & medical imaging.
Well, you understand the issue: higher yield, but not the only valuable stuff. But one of your premises seems to be false. There isn't good evidence that AAMC is tending to test medically relevant stuff in the physical sciences; lots of mechanics still appears, and I've never heard anyone with a good knowledge base say he detected a trend here. My own tests (April and August last year) included a fair amount of mechanics, hydrostatics, and other subjects that you would have avoided; so did those of my students, and they saw quite a few different test forms.

You have chosen subjects that appear frequently, so your strategy is not a terrible one; just understand that it is almost certain that you will encounter passages relying heavily on other areas.

Shrike
TPR lots (notably physics)

At this point you have 6 full weeks to prepare for the MCAT not including the week of the MCAT so try to spread the love brother!

:love:

Thanks, for the feedback. It is amazing what crazy generalizations one can come up based on limited personal experience. I mean the aamc's physical science focus would be limited tp the medically relevant! I guess there is pretty much no evidence for that wild idea. ;)