Testing Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinkerbell10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I did try using the search engine to find threads related to this but it keeps showing up as error on my computer.

For someone reason everytime I get a test my mind tends to go blank and I start to get really nervous, to the point where I begin to rush on the test (a BIG NO NO!). So I was just wondering how many of you have testing anxiety (or experienced it) and what did you do to get over it?

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful:)

Members don't see this ad.

Never have.

Why do you get anxious? Do you not know the material?

I know the material, but its just that my mind goes blank and I have no clue why. And what sucks even more is after the test, I know how to do all the problems, and what the answers to the questions are. I have no idea what to do.:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
think arrogantly or use cognitive behavioral therapy to aclimate yourself to the stressfull situation of testing.

I get flashes of it. I usually do not get test anxiety, but then when I see people standing up and leaving, done with their test while I am halfway through, my mind tends to inadvertently race. I can't really help it. It hasnt been much of a barrier to my education though.

Do you do breathing exercizes during the tests? I find controlled and deep breathing during times of anxiety can help you maintain your cool.

I'm blessed with the ability to remain very calm under pressure. Unfortunately, I don't perform all that well even when calm.

I get this so bad and I know how you feel! You know the information but you just look at the test and it doesn't look like anything you studied. This is what has really helped me. I usually got it during gen chem exams for some reason, so a few days before the exam I would either compile my own or use an exam from the previous year, sit in my room, set the timer for 80 minutes (how long we got on our exams) and take it. It made me feel more comfortable so that when I would get the actual exam, I would see a problem that reminded me of something on the practice exam and I would think "Ok, I remember doing this" and I would feel more relaxed just simply by knowing I had done it before. Also, try to wear earplugs (as stupid as it sounds) because there is nothing worse than listening to a symphony of coughing and sneezing while you're trying to concentrate. I also tried to sit up front, furthest from the door and from where students handed in their papers so I wouldn't see anyone walking around me and leaving (which also made me nervous!) I know these are old tips, but sometimes they do the trick!

I get flashes of it. I usually do not get test anxiety, but then when I see people standing up and leaving, done with their test while I am halfway through, my mind tends to inadvertently race. I can't really help it. It hasnt been much of a barrier to my education though.

The same thing happens to me! Even if I only have a question or two left, I start to worry I won't finish on time. It doesn't bother me enough to make much of a difference though.

The same thing happens to me! Even if I only have a question or two left, I start to worry I won't finish on time. It doesn't bother me enough to make much of a difference though.

I think I made myself sound a little dumb with my last post :). I am like you though, it usually hits me hardest at the end, when I have only a few more questions left, and people start to stand up and turn their tests in. I start to rush, which as the OP said, is bad. Sometimes it also hits me on the first page of the test, where I am working on the first problem, and I hear someone turn a page. I think to myself, "Oh, crap, I'm behind" when I hear a page get turned, not even knowing if they are actually finished the first page.

This hits me hardest in math class.

I think I made myself sound a little dumb with my last post :). I am like you though, it usually hits me hardest at the end, when I have only a few more questions left, and people start to stand up and turn their tests in. I start to rush, which as the OP said, is bad. Sometimes it also hits me on the first page of the test, where I am working on the first problem, and I hear someone turn a page. I think to myself, "Oh, crap, I'm behind" when I hear a page get turned, not even knowing if they are actually finished the first page.

so you probably really hate the people like me who finish a 50 question test in about 10 minutes, huh?

so you probably really hate the people like me who finish a 50 question test in about 10 minutes, huh?
I can do that too, if I want.

"C... C... C... C... C... C... C... C... Done. What bar we hitting???"

close your eyes and breathe before you go into the test and when you feel anxious mid-test. don't focus on the fact that you're stressing out; just clear your mind.

i had this problem way back in high school, but after figuring this out, i don't have any more issues.

Just take a deep breath and remain calm. It is only a test and you are prepared as you are going to be. Remain confident in your knowledge.

I think that's the reason I get B's in math classes.

I'd give you a run for your money in chemistry or any engineering class, army ;)

Exactly my point. The worst part about it is whenever I begin to rush, the anxiety sets in even more making me feel like I hit the point of no return. Math is also the class that I have the anxiety in.

Good to see I'm not alone and I'm not losing my mind. :thumbup:

I have struggled with that problem throughout college. Now that I am senior, I have finally begun to manage it better. What has really helped me is covering up the possible answers on a multiple choice test (or the blank area on an essay) and forcing myself to think about the question and how I would answer it before doing any writing. This helps me to slow down and my mind is able to think rather than just flying ahead. I agree with the sitting closer to the front so that other people do not distract me.

One other tip is one I received from a professor. She told me to never leave a test before my time was up. Obviously, sometimes you know the material and it would be a waste of time to stay an extra half an hour, etc. But, this philosophy has forced me to check over and think about my answers once, twice, or three times again before I turn my test in. This has saved me from making a lot of stupid mistakes.

When ppl would finish a test far before I did, this used to make me EXTREMELY nervous. But I continue to remind myself, just b/c they are finishing early DOES NOT mean that they are actually doing better than you are. Besides, you don't get extra pts for finishing early, sometimes slow and steady wins the race.