testing centre advantages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey - so i was given the advice of writing the mcat at a location that is not so popular so it will be less intimidating and the line ups for the washrooms won't be so bad. So what are some good locations in ON?? and how do we know if it will be packed or not? can we even choose where to write?

Members don't see this ad.

xylem29 said:
Hey - so i was given the advice of writing the mcat at a location that is not so popular so it will be less intimidating and the line ups for the washrooms won't be so bad. So what are some good locations in ON?? and how do we know if it will be packed or not? can we even choose where to write?

here's the link to the kaplan test site ratings:

http://www.kaptest.com/repository/t...epository/content/HF_Pages/HF_test_sites.html

ontario is on there even though it looks like its only for the US. when you register for the MCAT there will be a section where you tell the AAMC which is your preferred test site. you then have to give a couple of alternates in case the one you want is full.

i took the mcat twice. once was in a really cramped little desk with a small surface packed into a classroom with 30 other people. the 2nd time was at a center where they use an auditorium. i had a leather padded chair that reclined and swiveled and all the desk space you could need since they leave the seats immediately next to you empty. if you can find a center like that, go for it.

good luck!

Teerawit said:
By "writing" do you mean "taking?"

Is that sarcasm, or have you never heard the phrase "write an exam" before?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I was under the impression that we could choose b/w a saturday or sunday to write the mcat but it appears as though it is only administered on one day...i guess all testing sites should be busy. Just wondering - how will we know whether or not a particular test site will have nice large desks and stuff??

xylem29 said:
Hey, I was under the impression that we could choose b/w a saturday or sunday to write the mcat but it appears as though it is only administered on one day...i guess all testing sites should be busy. Just wondering - how will we know whether or not a particular test site will have nice large desks and stuff??
Look on the link provided by Arsenic. They have a category of desk space.

You can take the test on Sun. if you are Jewish since their sabbath overlaps to Sat. Morn.

oh my god, here's where i wish i could have done the MCAT thing over again...

pick an UNPOPULAR, SMALL test center. why?? you'll get out quickly. i had to write with HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of people in a hotel... it was a pain in the ass, b/c they have to collect all the individual sections and count them, and so on and so forth... got out at SIX PM when others got out much earlier.

To take the exam on a Sunday you need a solid reason such as religious reason and it is something you have to "apply" for I believe.

If you are active on the MCAT forum of SDN you will see when AMCAS opens registration for the MCAT before most people are aware of it. This gives you a good shot at getting THE BEST location.

I reviewed the site Arsenic showed and picked what was ranked as the best location and had nice comments, nice table space. It was in a BIG hotel but from what the test administrators said it is the same group of people administering MCAT exams at this site and this was the most demanded site in the NYC area. They knew what they were doing, were very efficient, and we got out earlier than expected. Bathroom breaks were low stress. Lines may be 3 minutes long but so what. They give plenty of time for bathroom breaks.

Pick THE BEST site. Not some crap site with clueless unorganized test administrators or a place where the air conditioner will break because its a crappy hotel and the repairmen suck there,etc.

Hell during my lunch break I had a nice walk on the NY riverfront of battery park. That place is beautiful. Made me forget about the 10 questions I did not answer on the PS section.

anon-y-mouse said:
oh my god, here's where i wish i could have done the MCAT thing over again...

pick an UNPOPULAR, SMALL test center. why?? you'll get out quickly. i had to write with HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of people in a hotel... it was a pain in the ass, b/c they have to collect all the individual sections and count them, and so on and so forth... got out at SIX PM when others got out much earlier.
He's right! At my testing center - the university of new mexico - we had like 3 rooms of 35 test takers. It was small, the rooms' window blinds were drawn (no distractions!), the testing rooms staggered their start by 5 minutes (this way the bathrooms weren't inundated with people), and even though the proctors screwed up (someone decided to void their test during the physics section and this screwed up the way the proctors distributed test booklets) I still left at 3:45. Timing was precise, coughing and paper ruffling didn't bother me, and there were some cute girls in there that I could chat it up with....

HunterGatherer said:
I've never heard the phrase "write an exam" until coming to the SDN MCAT forum. Only place I've seen that though.

"write an exam" or "sit an exam" are Canadian/British-isms.

HunterGatherer said:
To take the exam on a Sunday you need a solid reason such as religious reason and it is something you have to "apply" for I believe.

If you are active on the MCAT forum of SDN you will see when AMCAS opens registration for the MCAT before most people are aware of it. This gives you a good shot at getting THE BEST location.

I reviewed the site Arsenic showed and picked what was ranked as the best location and had nice comments, nice table space. It was in a BIG hotel but from what the test administrators said it is the same group of people administering MCAT exams at this site and this was the most demanded site in the NYC area. They knew what they were doing, were very efficient, and we got out earlier than expected. Bathroom breaks were low stress. Lines may be 3 minutes long but so what. They give plenty of time for bathroom breaks.

Pick THE BEST site. Not some crap site with clueless unorganized test administrators or a place where the air conditioner will break because its a crappy hotel and the repairmen suck there,etc.

Hell during my lunch break I had a nice walk on the NY riverfront of battery park. That place is beautiful. Made me forget about the 10 questions I did not answer on the PS section.

the thing is that the link arssenic gave are reviews from like 2 yrs ago. aamc already released the reg dates for april and aug 06 tho. i have no solid reason to write on sunday. thanks for the info !