Testing Solution’s 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

Discussion in 'Testing Solutions, LLC' started by TestingSolutions, Apr 20, 2015.

1. aimforthesky

aimforthesky

Apr 22, 2015
    Hi TS, I have been using your guide for over a week. It has been great. However, you mentioned reading the first sentence of every paragraph (spend 10 to 15 seconds). That usually takes me about 30 seconds (plus the 3 seconds breathing exercise), which means a lot of time I would go over the 4 minutes time period (by 5 to 10 seconds on average, I am a slow reader). Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make sure I can speed up the preview process.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  • sk1791

sk1791

May 9, 2016
    Hi TS, I just finished Day 30 of your program and I do feel like my CARs skills have improved greatly but there are a couple things I need to work on that I would appreciate some advice for:

1. For the most part my timing is well there are a good amount of passages that I can fly through or finish up about on time but then there are some passages that just take me a while to work on. How should I approach this?

2. I've noticed that sometimes there is just one or two key words in either the passage, question stem, or correct answer choice that I misinterpret or misread that cause me to answer the question incorrectly. These are the ones that cause me to slap my self in the forehead when I read the correct answer explanation or when I go back to review it and figure out what I did wrong myself. How do you recommend I get over this hump?

Thank you for everything.

• TestingSolutions

TestingSolutions Eating CARS for Breakfast Since 2014 Gold Donor Exhibitor 2+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2015
    SDN Exhibitor
    @afcpanda - I'd drop back to 6 or 7 passages a day, or a number where you feel comfortable with your timing and are also able to review some of the more difficult passages and questions. How many of the AAMC passages do you have left? I think you want to be close to practicing with full-lengths roughly six weeks out from your test date. Now that you've given yourself a little more time, I'd utilize that to improve your reading comprehension and question answering. Does that make sense?

• TestingSolutions

TestingSolutions Eating CARS for Breakfast Since 2014 Gold Donor Exhibitor 2+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2015
    SDN Exhibitor
    @biologybum - I don't think you need to force yourself to catch up with our 90 day schedule. I'd continue to do one post a day. What I would change is how many passages you're doing. If you're taking the test on 4/22 I'd make sure you're taking at least 5 to 6 passages 5 or 6 days a week (and more if you can fit them in). I'd only recommend that you review the passages and questions that really stumped you, if you got them right and were pretty confident about getting them right while you were taking the test, I wouldn't waste your time reviewing them and instead do more passages. I'd strive to burn through as many of the EK, TPR, and Testing Solutions passages as you can over the next three weeks. With a month out from your test date, then I'd flip strictly to AAMC or alternating with some TPR or Testing Solutions passages if you didn't get to all of them.

I would just make sure you're doing a lot of practice passages and trying to build good habits. We've got a tip sheet we made to help you keep track as you do passages. I'd print this out and have it sitting next to you as a reminder for the next few weeks. Best of luck and please keep the questions coming!

• TestingSolutions

Jan 7, 2015
    SDN Exhibitor
    @aimforthesky - The four minute time period is a rough estimate that we give at the beginning of your studying to give you structure. As you advance in your preparations, you will find that harder passages will take you longer and easier passages will take you less time. As you get better, you'll know when to slow down and invest more time and when to speed up. I would really recommend pre-reading the passage briefly (as we say the gist of the first sentence of each paragraph, and maybe the last if you can fit it in). Most test takers spend far more time returning to the passage for one question than they would spend doing the breathing exercise and the passage preview.

I wouldn't try to cut corners on that part save to make sure that you really are moving quickly. Don't read at the same speed during the passage preview as you would when you're actually reading the passage. If you feel like you need to cut out some time to make sure you're not rushed for time, don't let yourself go back to the passage as frequently. Best of luck and please keep the questions coming!

• imax2011

imax2011 5+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Hi,

I am trying out the your strategies in the 30 day CARS thread and I already used EK and TPR verbal stuff like 1 year ago. What other verbal material should I get instead for the early phase? If I repeat EK and TPR passages, that would not effective, no? Thank you. My CARS was 123, really hoping to use your guide to bump it up and retake the MCAT this year.

Thank you!

• TestingSolutions

Jan 7, 2015
    SDN Exhibitor
    @sk1791 - Great questions:

1) We recommend time intervals based on the idea that most people need structure during the early phase of their CARS preparations. The truth though is that as you advance, there will be some passages that you speed through and some that take more time. Once you get to this point, you want to take time on the harder passages and invest your energies there instead of on the easier passages that you're going to get the questions right on anyways. If you're not having time problems, then I think it's fine to fly through the easier passages and invest more on the harder ones. This is ultimately the goal for CARS timing.

2) Is it a vocabulary issue? It might be a good idea to keep a list of the words or question stems that are causing you the problem. Write a brief note as to what you think it is that caused you a problem. Do you know that you're missing something as you read the passage or question, or is this only in hindsight? If you have a sense that you might be missing something, give yourself a little extra time on that question and see if this helps you to answer them correctly and catch your "silly" mistakes. The more practice you do, the less and less these sorts of things happen. Best of luck!

• TestingSolutions

Jan 7, 2015
    SDN Exhibitor
    @imax2011 - EK just came out with a new 101 CARS book. I just got a copy, but haven't had a chance to work through many of the passages. I think Berkeley Review's passages are of reasonable quality (especially for early prep). I think reusing passages isn't a good idea, so I wouldn't return to old materials you've already seen.Here's our Review of All CARS Materials Available on the Market! I'd make sure you save the AAMC passages until roughly 4 to 6 weeks out from the date you're really confident you're taking the MCAT on. Once these passages are gone, they are gone and they are the very best representation of the real MCAT you're going to find.

Best of luck!

• afcpanda

afcpanda

Jan 22, 2017
    Hi Testing Solutions, I have around 1 1/2 of the 2 AAMC question packs left as well as 2 AAMC full lengths. I think you're right. I've been doing a few passages lately, and I think I have my timing back on track (before I think I was reading the passage too fact). But, like you said, I really think by reading comprehension needs work. I think a large part of my problem is that I don't read deep enough into the passage. That's why I tend to do great on Main Idea, Attitude, questions but totally bomb when it comes to Inference/implication/application/int. of new info. That being said I have a few questions:
    1. What would be the best way to improve this? I'm also curious what you mean by "improving question answering". Could you please elaborate?
    2. For both improving reading comprehension and question answering are there any drills you would recommend?
    3. Also, you mention "reading for structure" many times throughout the 30-day guide. What do you mean by that and how would we best "read for structure"?
    4. Finally, when I'm reading, like you advise, I try to ask myself "Why would the author write this? Where is he going? What questions would I expect?" But I find that I ask myself these questions so much that I end up distracting myself from the passage. How often should we be asking these questions as we read? And how do I stop this internal dialogue from disrupting my flow?
    As always, much thanks.

Edit: I tried doing a few passages today taking all the time I need and found I get the same score as when I do passages under the timed conditions. I'm pretty convinced now my problem isn't timing but reading comprehension.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  • med4evah

med4evah

Jan 11, 2017
    Hi Guys! A few questions, I know I am quite early since my MCAT isn't until July end and I won't be starting MCAT prep until May ( after school ends):

1. What would you prefer more, the old Ek verbal 101 or new EK 101 CARS
    2. Your schedule says using T1-T8, but I only see 6 practice tests on your website
    3. Would you prefer EK verbal in general or TPRH books

Thank you guys!!

• medstudent0000002

medstudent0000002

Jan 6, 2017
    I'm honestly not sure why you referred to Kaplan passages as a bunch of convoluted words when your practice exams are the same exact thing.......

• TestingSolutions

Jan 7, 2015
    SDN Exhibitor
    @medstudent0000002 - Ha! Ouch! Well, we're all entitled to our opinions, aren't we? We offer a 100% money-back guarantee, no questions asked. So if you don't think our practice tests were representative of the real MCAT or you just want your money back, please feel free to email us with your order number at [email protected] and we'll give you a full refund.

Best of luck on your MCAT!

• TestingSolutions

Jan 7, 2015
    SDN Exhibitor
    @afcpanda - Thanks for the questions!

1) "Questioning answering" is about as ambiguous of a phrase as there is! Sorry! What I mean to say is that over time, as you do more questions, see more wrong answers and encounter more opportunities to practice reasoning your way to the right answer, you'll get better at answering questions. There is no particular skill here to develop save to do a bunch of passages and review the ones that you get wrong or that really stump you doing the test.

2) Assuming your timing is down, the best way to improve reading comprehension we've encountered is to something similar to what we describe here Day 26 – How to Review a CARS Passage. I think reviewing the passage and in particular, practicing your ability to summarize and synthesize will over time just become second nature. I think it's really important to make sure you invest the time (after you finish the test) to make sure you understand the passages that gave you a lot of trouble. Wrestling with these passages is a very efficient way to improve. As to "question answering," (again sorry for the phrase!) practice is your best bet. I'd recommend marking any answer choices you couldn't 100% eliminate and then return to those questions and reason out why you think that answer choice is wrong. Don't just turn to the answer explanations to see. You do some of the heavy lifting first. This will help improve your CARS reasoning.

3) "Reading for structure" means knowing that the author discusses in paragraph two the reasons that pre-historic peoples migrated to North America. It does not mean fully or completely understanding each and every detail or nuance of the author's reasoning. You want to know where things are and be able to see the overall structure/gist of the passage while not getting bogged down into trying to master the passage. Skimming or speed reading is not what we're talking about. But we're also not talking about memorizing the passage. You should read the CARS passage as if it were an empty building. It hasn't been furnished yet, but you know where the kitchen is and even maybe what it might look like. You don't want to invest so much time that you have a photographic memory of each item in the room.

4) This is something you'll have to practice. If it's disrupting your flow, you're doing it too much. So do it less. I think it makes sense to do it at three points: 1) Right after your rapid 15 second pre-read. What is this passage likely going to be about? 2) Right after each paragraph, take a moment to try and get a sense of what just went on there. and 3) Right at the end of the passage ask yourself again, what is this passage all about? It might even make sense to post-read. Try limiting yourself to these three checkpoints and see if that helps. You don't want to be obsessing about answering this questions, because as you've said, it will get distracting.

• TestingSolutions

Jan 7, 2015
    SDN Exhibitor
    @med4evah - We just got our copy of the new EK101 book, so I'm not sure. Supposedly, there' completely new passages. I think the old Ek101 book was reasonably solid, even if the quality of the passages trails off. If you've got a ton of time, I'd buy both. If not, I'd go with the older book, because the quality of those passages is already established.

2) We change up our bundle deals throughout the year and try to offer different discounts when we can (depending on how many are purchased). You can always buy our practice tests through Amazon.com but that's pretty price because they take such a steep cut (30%+). We are currently ordering a six test bundle on our website and at checkout, you're offered the opportunity to take on the other tests T7 through T10. If you click through, you'll see it for the expanded bundle offer.

3) I preferred the TPRH books. I thought the questions were better and the passages more similar to the real thing. With that said, EK wasn't bad, I just would go with TPRH if I had to choose one.

• afcpanda

afcpanda

Jan 22, 2017
    Hey Testing Solutions,

So I'm trying to read more for structure, but I find it difficult memorizing/localizing important main ideas to each passage. I've heard that writing a quick 2-4 word summary after each passage is helpful for referencing during the questions. Do you recommend this?

Also, I'm not seeing any improvements in my score. I don't think it's a problem with you approach, just perhaps how I'm practicing. I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. I was wondering if you offer any 1-on-1 or class tutoring? If not would you recommend any CARS tutors?

Much thanks as always.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  • wannabedoc1994

wannabedoc1994

Feb 28, 2017

I just wanted to say thank you so very much for this incredible plan. I am taking my mcat in June. It will be the second time I'm taking it. CARS has always been a struggle for me. However, on my practice tests before I took the real exam, I was scoring in the 80s for CARS. Nevertheless, due to an anxiety slip I fell hard in my CARS section on the real exam. ALL BECAUSE OF TIME. I'm finding I need a confidence boost and some good test anxiety strategies. I get about 1-2 wrong on each passage I'm realizing. Do you think with your plan I will be able to decrease that range to about 0-1?. I have also purchased your test solutions practice tests, as well all of the other suggested material.

• academy4dawise

academy4dawise 2+ Year Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Hey TS,
    Thank you very much for your valuable advice. Verbal Reasoning has always been a struggle for me. I have spent so much more time studying for this section of the exam than any of the science sections. I have gone through the 30-day plan twice now and have seen tremendous improvement. Even though I am still not breaking a 128, my target score, I still have 2 months until my testing date and believe I can make the jump from ~36 correct to ~44 correct with effective practice and review. I have two major concerns that I was hoping you could address.

1) This is probably my biggest concern. Even though I am in the middle of an epic battle against the MCAT, a lot has simultaneously happened in my personal life that distracts me while taking exams (ESPECIALLY CARS). I constantly find my mind wondering in the middle of a passage, now more than ever. I thought maybe it was the result of being burnt out from CARS, but I just took 4 days off from CARS and did very light studying in the other sections, and actually performed even worse than before lol. My mind was wondering after every other paragraph it seemed like. I had trouble following the flow of the passage and identifying the main idea at the end of the passage. I was wondering if you had any advice how to reduce these distractions when I review a passage. Will this go away with more practice? I take three deep breaths to try to clear my mind before every passage as well.

2) I am on a bit of a time crunch now. I now do between 6-9 passages and stamina is hardly an issue for me. However, there are rarely times where I will get an entire passage correct (especially using Testing Solutions Exams and the new EK workbook which seems much more difficult than other resources...a good thing). Sometimes I review all 9 passages using your 15 step guide and even highlight the keywords at times. But recently, I simply do not have time to rework every single passage. Is it okay if I extensively review only the 1 or 2 passages out of the 9 total that gives me the most trouble?

Thank you so much for your help and encouragement. PS...I love how you start every blog post with some words of encouragement. It's very motivating and gives me reassurance that I'm on the right path haha

• aurevoir0711

aurevoir0711 2+ Year Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dear TS representative,

I have an exam scheduled on May 19th and CARS is the weakest section for me. English is not my first language and I have never done well on reading comprehension portion of standardized tests in the past (SAT, GMAT, GRE). I scored a 720 in reading section for the old GRE (98% percentile, max score 800), but that was due to the old GRE's test structure for the verbal section. Old GRE had many more vocab related questions than passage based reading comprehension.

I am not a big fan of literature, history, philosophy, religion, anthropology, theology, aand politics/government, pretty much anything that is monotonous. I have never been a big reader, even though I tried reading substantially in my native language. I can understand school materials with no sweat, so I am not sure why I just don't comprehend sophisticated English passages well.

When it comes to reading comprehension, I know that practice matters, but it does not mean everything. I've seen posts from people who practiced over 150 passages from the first exam to the second (retake) and their scores didn't improve at all. I am doing at least 3 passages a day, trying different approaches (note taking, trying to figure out the main idea of each paragraph/as a whole). However, some passages are really difficult to understand due to unfamiliarity of the topic, lots of jargons, unknown vocabs, and convoluted sentence structures. My reading speed seems to be up although my comprehension level remains the same. I've tried note taking method, but that just burns up so much time to create writings that I rarely use afterward.

I have a lot of sources available besides your product (T1-T10) that I bought from Amazon/eBay. New EK 101 passages, old EK 101 passages, TBR CARS, TPRH CARS, AAMC Q packs, and other free sources like 'Daily Free CARS Passage' website and Kham Academy.

I have not taken any AAMC materials as of now. The only passages I've worked on so far are new EK 101 passages and some NS passages. On the new EK 101 series, I am getting around 40~43%, which is very demoralizing. I've heard that the new EK 101 passages have very poor questions, so most people struggle with it, even the people who actually performed well (130+) on the actual MCAT. However, I do know that after reading the EK 101 passage, I usually can't pinpoint the general idea of the passage correctly and relate how each paragraph fits in the big picture.

The biggest issue for me is that sometimes I can't understand what I just looked over, even if I read it multiple times. The worst thing is that this has become a habit and it happens very often. This results in skipping a good chunk of paragraph without actually understanding what is going on. I am also not very good at picking up author's tone or perspective, so those inference questions always get me.

Another weakness I noticed is that even if I understand the passage in general, I can't remember the details that well, so I waste a lot of time going through the entire paragraph to search for what the question is asking. Sometimes the question is fine, but the answer choices are so subtle or something I can't relate to the information I obtained from the passage, so I start guessing what "sounds" like a good answer. In addition, I can't seem to read actively when the passage is about topics I dread like history, philosophy, government/politics, anthropology, religion, and bizarre literature. It is just so hard to stay awake...

Furthermore, I noticed that even if I understand the passage correctly, relating what's being asked from a question to the information in the passage is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT for me. Sometimes the answer choices seem totally irrelevant because my mind is fixed on my personal interpretation of the passage. Ruling out answers prematurely is another issue that is caused by functional fixedness.

I am not even sure where to begin. I have a little over 2 months to prepare for CARS and I really hope to get a 129... I know 129 is an ambitious goal, but I need to set it high so that I put in the work for it. Any suggestions on where to begin or what strategies I should implement? I would sincerely appreciate your advice. Thank you so much.

Update (3/10/17)
    In order to figure out if familiarity of the topic was an issue, I purposefully redid the same passage after checking the answers without reading the explanations. It turns out, topic familiarity is not the issue. I get approximately the same or even worse scores on the 2nd time of doing the same passage/questions. This shows me that topic familiarity has nothing to do with CARS. I am fairly certain that the question stem and answer choices are just as problematic because they are just not straightforward. I think my biggest problems are the following:

1. Not understanding the big picture in the first place due to skipping sentences or difficulty with a few sentences in the paragraph
    2. Not being able to relate the main idea of the passage to the question
    3. Having difficulties with how each answer choice is relevant or irrelevant to the question AND the passage, which I dare to rephrase it as "cannot decipher the true meaning of each answer choice." In other words, difficulties with processing new piece of information (answer choice) to the old piece of information (passage), while remembering the ultimate goal/task (question stem).

I realize this has become a very long post. Fortunately, as I am writing, I started thinking what my real problems were in CARS. As a former engineering student, problems are meaningless unless they are defined properly, so I am glad I found what my problems are for this section.
    I am sure these weaknesses can be overcome, but I need the right guidance to be successful. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Update 2 (3/11/17)
    I started reading the pdf that is attached with the products I bought (Days 1-6 scripts along with doing passages). While I am not 100% sold on the idea of focusing on just time management, I am going to try what you suggested since you are an expert on this topic. I totally agree that writing notes did not help much with the score (margin is like +-1,2 questions) AT THE COST of 13+ minutes on each passage. I will stick to your advice and give an update later when necessary.

ps: "I am not that smart; I just worked incredibly hard." These sentences made my eyes teary. Story of my life...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    loveartandscience likes this.
  • wannabedoc1994

wannabedoc1994

Feb 28, 2017
    I'm sitting in the mid 70s percentile for CARS, my goal is to try to make it into the 90s, my test is in approximately 3 months away. Do you think with intensive adherence to this plan, a leap like that is possible? My issue is test anxiety and just pacing myself. I always end up rushing towards the end. I replied to a post on here but can't seem to find it.

• aimforthesky

aimforthesky

Apr 22, 2015
    TS, thanks again for your guide and answers. I was wondering if you have any tips for timing and techniques for science passages as well. Thanks.

• medstudent8

medstudent8

Sep 5, 2016
    Im using your material to review for the MCAT CARS. I know the 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS talks a lot about pacing and what to do to not run out of time. I have the complete opposite issue, I have way too much time to spare and will usually read all passages within 2-2.5 minutes. Some passages I do really well others I don't. What are your recommendations to slow my reading down to actually comprehend the passage?

• academy4dawise

academy4dawise 2+ Year Member

Oct 3, 2014
    How often and how long after Day 9 should we do the Keyword Review for? I'm at Day 40 right now. Should I do it for the 1 or 2 passages a day still? I still feel like I can improve my "keyword intuition."

• Thoroughbred_Med

Thoroughbred_Med 2+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2014
    MDApps:
    these were some well thought out questions. I really hope he replies to you because I have these SAME exact problems. Would love to hear his advice.

• TestingSolutions

Jan 7, 2015
    SDN Exhibitor
    @afcpanda - I'm really sorry for my slow response. We're running shorthanded here at TS currently and I'm in the middle of Q2 finals. (You know how people tell you medical school isn't all that easy...that's actually true! :)

I don't think you're going to hurt yourself if you give the written summary a try, but I do think it can be a major slow down if timing is an issue. When I've worked with students, I've found that the best way to get better at reading for structure is to write one sentence paragraph summaries after you talk the passage and are no longer being timed. Once you've done the passage, go back and read through each paragraph and write a summary sentence. Think about why that paragraph was included at all, what it contributes to the passage overall. Do this for each paragraph and then at the end, do this for the passage as a whole. The problem most people have with "reading for structure" actually has to do with the reading part, not the structure part. As we're able to practice active reading, where we're trying to get at the point behind the author's words, you'll find that you do this automatically. When you read a paragraph on a CARs passage, you'll be asking your self throughout "what's this really about" because you'll know that you're going to have to write that paragraph summary.

As to not seeing improvements,

1) How many passages have you done in total? (And how many of those have been AAMC passage)
    2) How long (in terms of practice passages completed) has it been since you've seen improvement?
    3) How's your timing? Are you rushing to finish passages?
    4) Have you been review passages?

Unfortunately, we're not able to offer tutoring, but my friend Andrew George over at MCAT Self-Prep offers some reasonable tutoring packages. He scored in the 99th percentile on the MCAT and really knows his stuff. If you mention Testing Solutions, he'll give you 5% off. I wouldn't recommend him if I didn't trust him.

Let us know the answers to some of the above questions and we can go from there. I will say that one of the most frustrating parts of the CARS is how long it takes and how random improvement seems to be. It feels like you're walking in the desert forever, but if you're doing a lot of practice passages and practicing the right techniques, you will eventually reach water.

Best of luck and please let us know how we can support you. Sorry again for the slow response!

• afcpanda

afcpanda

Jan 22, 2017
    Hi T.S.,

That's okay, thanks for the help.

1) I've gone through the entire EK 101 passages, 5 Next Step Full Lengths, 5 of your practice exams, and 2 or 3 section tests from Kaplan/PR. As for AAMC passages I've done about 2 section tests (one from the Practice Exam 1 and 9 passages from Question Pack 2). I only got 7 wrong for the Question Bank passages (round a 128) but I scored a 126 on the AAMC P-test 1. I'm currently working through the P.R. Hyperlearning Verbal right now.
    2) Probably around a month, right around mid - February I started doing really well on the EK P-tests (80% correct) and scored my highest score, a 129, on a P.R. section test. Then my scores started sinking like the Titanic and I became stuck I'd say around the 127 area.
    3) Timing isn't too bad, I usually finish with 3-5 minutes left.
    4) Yes, I review all of my passages, following the instructions on your guide. Reviewing usually takes me a lot of time though (2 - 3 hours), so I don't know whether I should be dedicating that much time to reviewing or doing more practice passages.

I think the thing that worries me is that my scores have been so variable lately. I've scored anything from a 126-129 in the past month. My exam is on April 22nd. I'm pretty solid with all of my others sections, it's just CARS dragging me down. Thanks for the help as always, good luck with Q2 finals.

• Midnighturtle

Midnighturtle

Apr 8, 2016
    I would just like to advocate for Testing Solutions right now as I am currently going over one of my CARS practice tests (that I got a 127, 81%, on). I took the MCAT last July and I scored a 123 in CARS. I attempted testing solutions back then, but I wasn't really actively reading everyday or using the tips the plan suggested. I re-did the 30 day plan (which I am still in the middle of) and I am doing amazing on my practice tests. I realized that my reading comprehension was terrible around day 15 or so. I decided to skip ahead to "How to Review a CARS Passage" and I am so pleased with my scores. Before, I was not entirely grasping information or reading for structure. Now, since doing keyword review and extensively reviewing passages, I love CARS. And, I look forward to it on my practice tests. I never thought I would be in this position. Thank you TS!

• About the ads