MCAT Testing Solutions' 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

Discussion in 'Test Prep Services & Discounts' started by TestingSolutions, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Sutekidane

Pre-Medical
    Can I actually ask some additional questions to this? I notice that If I encounter a difficult passage I start panicking and become fatigued faster. Some of these passages are so difficult that even when reviewing I STILL don't understand the passage I could read the same paragraph 5 times to no avail. I look at the questions to see if they are answerable without understanding, get like 1-2 right. What should I do? I start losing it at this point ( I actually gave up on the CARS section for that FL, I tried breathing I really did, but If I get 1-2 passages like that the CARS score is dead).
    Granted I've been only doing Kaplan FL's because I have a lot of resources with them (I know how you mentioned they aren't good, I do pretty well in general on KAPLAN CARS though missing 1 or 0 on most passage then completely falling on my face on one difficult passage or two).

My test is in January, so I want to start AAMC material and TS materials ASAP and see how I actually can perform, been very upset with Kaplan scores. I almost finished EK 101 passages doing keyword review on EVERYTHING. should I keep doing keyword review? At this point the keywords pop right out at me, and I havent noticed that it helps too much (in terms of seeing questions that rely on explicitly on knowing modality/keywords or maybe I just dont notice). I only ask because its pretty time consuming to highlight keywords from 5+ passages a day while doing all of my other studying.

My timing is pretty good, I'm finishing ahead of time on most passages (EK and Kaplan as reference). Towards the end of the EK book (I think you mentioned the quality is lower at the end) I've been doing horrible.

Thanks for your time

PS: I bought a TS course a while back and I think I lost access to it, maybe it expired? Ill send an email regarding this.

#701 Sutekidane, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. TestingSolutions

TestingSolutions Eating CARS for Breakfast Since 2013
    Vendor Sponsor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    @Sutekidane - If you bought our course, just email account[at]mytestingsolution.com and we'll get you sorted out!

I think your experience regarding difficult passages is fairly common. "Keeping it together" on one of those monster passages has about as much to do with doing well as anything else. Remember that every single person taking the MCAT that day will be facing that same passage. The people who will score the best on CARS are in most part the ones who don't lose it and shut down. I know, easier said than done. I wrote an article for how to deal with hard passages. Try and apply some or all of the techniques and see if they help. The most important thing about dealing with hard passages is focusing on what you DO understand and not worrying about what you don't. I really think of it as climbing a mountain. You're always looking for the next "hand hold." What is it that I do understand? What sense of this can I make? Even if you're only getting 40% of the passage, that often can be enough to get you to 3 out of 5 or 3 out of 6, which while isn't awesome, also isn't the end of your section. Our passages come with a passage by passage summary, as well as an overview of the passage, which I think helps when you're reviewing in case you don't understand what's going on. Now a lot of companies don't do that, so that's unfortunate, but hopefully with our passages, your reviews will be a little more helpful because you can drill down on each paragraph until you understand what's being said.

If the keywords are obvious to you as you read, I would stop doing the keyword search. Try to use them as you read: "Oh, we've got a contrast word, so that means we're likely changing directions." But don't focus on them too much. It should be a natural process. This isn't going to be a magic bullet score increase, but it does build your capacity to read critically and understand the structure and flow of the passage. So much of what contributes to doing well on the CARS is subtle. The gains are small and really are all about changing how you think about what you're reading. These changes take time and practice. So, I'd say stop with the keyword review and start doing passages! If you're less than two months out, you need to turn to the AAMC relatively soon and get their passages in play so you can start using them to study and improve. As great as our resources are, those passages are the very best out there. The end of the EK book (practice test 11 on) is pretty unreliable. I'd switch to AAMC and us as you're getting close to your test date. The first 10 tests of theirs though are pretty good.

Wishing you the very best and we'll keep an eye out for your email!

Sutekidane likes this.
  3. TestingSolutions

TestingSolutions Eating CARS for Breakfast Since 2013
    Vendor Sponsor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi Everyone! I just wanted to let you know about a new service we're offering here at Testing Solutions, our LIVE 8-Hour CARS Workshops.

The current dates we have scheduled are

December 22nd, 2018 - 10a to 6p EST
    January 19th, 2018 - 10a to 6p EST

Space is limited as our goal is to make them a small group setting, but if you'd like to sign up, you can do so at www.mytestingsolution.com/mcat. We're trying to offer some good discounts on these if you sign up far enough in advance. Let me know if you have any questions!

Warmest,
    Nick