CARS Testing Solutions' 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you used Testing Solutions passages? What did you think?

• Yes! Very accurate, really like them a lot!

• Nope. I'm here for the free guide and that's it!

• Yes, but they stink. (Oh no....please email us at [email protected] for a refund!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Testing Solutions' 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success:

Howdy! My name is Nick Zehner, and I’m an MS3 at Stanford. I started Testing Solutions 5 years ago to help students struggling with the hardest section on the MCAT, the CARS. With so much conflicting advice out there, it can be hard to know where to turn to get a tried and true method that actually works, not just for one person, but for thousands. That’s been the goal of this thread/guide for the last 5 years, and I’m proud that it’s worked so well for so many.

This guide will answer all your questions and even some you didn't know you had. It's meant to be exhaustive and provide you with everything you need to know to achieve an ultra-high CARS score. It is your step-by-step guide to getting you from the couch to MCAT CARS success. If you have any questions, I hope you’ll feel free to ask them on here. I try my very best to respond within a day or two. Hope to talk with you soon!

So, how should I use this guide? Here are the steps I recommend:

Step 1: Why Should I Trust You?

This is an excellent question! One of the hardest parts of studying for the CARS is all the conflicting advice out there. I highly recommend that you find a resource you trust completely and stick with it. Just because some strategy supposedly worked one time for someone on SDN doesn't mean it will work consistently. Use tried and true methods from people who know the CARS well. There are a number of reasons why I think you should trust me, but the top two are:

1) I’m qualified.

2) My approach produces results!

I've helped hundreds of students personally and thousands of students online with the CARS. Since our founding, we've sold over 50,000 CARS practice tests! Check out the impressive results of just a few of my recent students who took the MCAT in 2018.
a

Matt – CARS: 129 - 95th Percentile

Becker-Score-Report-129-small.png

Here's what Matt had to say about Testing Solutions:

"When I started studying for the MCAT, it felt like an unmanageable task. There were so many methods and techniques that promised results. I was particularly concerned about CARS, which is something that seems to hold many people back. I'm extremely glad I found Testing Solutions. The Bootcamp impacted the way I tackled CARS. By the time I took the test it felt like second nature. I believe Testing Solutions has the best advice I've come across during my preparation. The practice tests are hard and really help to hammer home the critical reading skills required to succeed at the test. I began my preparation struggling with CARS and ended up with a 95th percentile score. It was the best investment I made in preparing for the MCAT."
a

..::..
a

Cindy – CARS: 132 - 100th Percentile

Cindy-Score-Report-132-small.png

Here's what Cindy had to say about Testing Solutions:

"I just wanted to say thank you for creating such a great CARS bootcamp course with Testing Solutions…I got my MCAT score back about 2 weeks ago and got a 132 on CARS! Honestly, I’m still in shock at my score…I started off with CARS being my worst section (with almost no improvement using the Kaplan/EK CARS strategies), but gradually improved and gained so much confidence through the bootcamp. I was initially struggling and felt really unsure of how to approach the section, but the Testing Solutions’ bootcamp helped tremendously (both practice passages and the written guides), and I truly believe that it was the biggest factor in my CARS score. I'll definitely be recommending the Testing Solutions’ CARS bootcamp to other people as the best CARS prep resource!"
a

a

Lemuel – CARS: 128 - 89th Percentile

Reber-Score-Report-128.png

Here's what Lemuel had to say about Testing Solutions:

"If you're like me, then reading and comprehension is not your strength in academics. That's what made CARS so daunting…One phrase that has never left my memory back when I played pee-wee basketball as a third grader is this phrase: "Perfect practice makes perfect." The CARS bootcamp from Testing Solutions provides that perfect practice. The passages…forced me to develop my reasoning skills quickly, and the explanations from Testing Solutions gave me insight into what question writers were really asking…There are tons of resources and materials for studying CARS out there, but you will be hard pressed to find any that are as concise and provide as intense preparation than the Testing Solutions CARS bootcamp."
a

a

Step 2: Get Started Quickly! Sign-Up for Our 8-day Jump-Start Email Course!

This CARS Jump-Start email course will especially be useful for students who are not taking the MCAT for awhile but want to get a head start and begin preparing now! You really can't start preparing for the CARS too early, and in an ideal world, you'd start months before you begin your dedicated study period. This course gets you started on the right foot.

With that said, it's been designed to help everyone so regardless of where you are at on your CARS journey, this 8-day CARS Jump-Start email course will provide you with the very highest yield CARS strategies and tactics that you can start putting into practice today!

a

a

Step 3: Watch the Intro Video to Learn More about the 2019 CARS Bootcamp!

a

a

Step 4: Download the Table of Contents and Get Started on Day1!

If you're ready to start going through this 30-Day Guide to CARS Succes, we recommend you download our "Table of COntents" PDF. It can be time-consuming to find the correct day's post due to all the questions users have posted through the years, so we've created this "Table of Contents" PDF which has links to each day's post. You just open the PDF and can use it to jump directly to the post/ day you're on. Download your "Table of Contents" here!

a

a

Table of Contents | Schedule to MCAT CARS Success:

While our study guide is 30 days long, most MCATers will need roughly 90 days to get to an MCAT CARS score they'll be happy with. I've outlined the schedule I recommend to my students below, as well as the materials that you'll need to complete the schedule.

Here Are the Materials I Recommend:
  • Exam Krackers 101 Passage in MCAT Verbal Reasoning (EK101)'
    • Note that this is the "old MCAT." EK's New CARS book is very bad and I cannot recommend anyone use it.
Phase I - For the first 30 days, while you cover the major strategy points in this guide, I recommend you use passages from either EK 101 or TPR. In this phase of your preparation, you'll do a total of 69 passages. I'll explain how and when to do these passages in the guide.

Phase II - In the next 30 days, you'll take 14 CARS Full-Length Practice Tests. I recommend using Testing Solutions' Practice Tests (T1-T16) as well as your remaining passages from EK101 and TPR. You'll also use the AAMC Question Packs. In this phase, you'll do 126 passages.

Phase III - In the final 30 days, your CARS prep will largely be integrated with your taking of full-length MCAT practice tests. I have you taking all three of EK's full-lengths, four of Next Steps' full-lengths, and the four available AAMC practice tests. There are break days built in so. One some break days, you'll do one passage, just to keep you sharp, while on other break days, you'll just rest. In this final phase of your preparation, you'll do 85 passages. Thus, if you follow this schedule to the “T,” you'll do 361 CARS practice passages. If you do that many practice passages, and follow the techniques I outline in this guide, you'll come as close to a guarantee of scoring 129+ on the CARS section as is possible. I have never had a student that has actually followed this schedule and not be happy with their score.

This schedule was designed to fit into whatever general schedule/ approach you're employing for the other three sections. Most days, you'll spend around an hour and a half on CARS, but sometimes more will be required. The key to mastering the CARS is to do a little bit each day. You cannot cram for the CARS. This section must be respected. Just like how you eat an elephant, remember that it's just one bite at a time, one day at a time. WARNING: Do not get behind on this schedule. If you're worried about that, build in some extra break days at the end of the schedule (Which is to say, start this schedule 100 days out from your test instead of 90, however, the compressed and rigorous nature of this schedule does build your stamina and prepares you for the rigors of test day, so don't let too much time lapse between practice tests.) It is not possible to do two days in one to catch up.

Week I:

In Week I, you'll do one passage per day.

Day 1 – The Plan/ Getting Your Materials
Day 2 – Breaking Down the MCAT CARS Section
Day 3 – Reviewing/ Timing
Day 4 – MCAT CARS Myths: The “Don'ts”
Day 5 – How to Approach the MCAT CARS Section – The Passage
Day 6 – Passage Types: Argumentative
Day 7 – Argumentation: Modality

Week II:

In Week II, you'll do two passage per day, timed individually.

Day 8 – Passage Types: Descriptive

Day 9 – How to Use Keywords
Day 10 – Health, Wellness, and Stress Management – The Second Key
Day 11 – CARS Question Types: The Main Idea
Day 12 – CARS Question Types: Passage Detail
Day 13 – CARS Question Types: Implication
Day 14 – CARS Question Types: Inference *Break -Don't do any passages today.

Week III:

In Week III, you'll do three passage per day, timed individually.

Day 15 – CARS Question Types: Application
Day 16 – CARS Question Types: Integration of New Information
Day 17 – CARS Question Types: Attitude
Day 18 – CARS Question Types: Meaning of a Term
Day 19 – CARS Question Types: Author Technique
Day 20 – CARS Question Format: Negation Questions
Day 21 – CARS Question Format: Roman Numerals *Break -Don't do any passages today.

Week IV:

In Week IV, you'll do four passage per day until the 25th and then do five passages per day. Do the passages consecutively, timed together.

Day 22 – CARS Answer Pathologies – Part I
Day 23 – CARS Answer Pathologies – Part II
Day 24 – CARS Answer Pathologies – Part III
Day 25 – How to Take a CARS Full-Length Practice Test
Day 26 – How to Review a CARS Passage
Day 27 – How to Review CARS Questions
Day 28 – How to Review CARS Answers *Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week V:

You'll do six passages on Day 29 and Day 30. Do the passages consecutively, timed together.

Day 29 – Putting it All Together: How to Review an Entire CARS Practice Test
Day 30Advanced Study Techniques
Day 31 – 9 Passages from EK101 or TPR (90 Minutes)
Day 32 – Review 9 Passages
Day 33 – 9 Passages from EK101 or TPR (90 Minutes)
Day 34 – Review 9 Passages
Day 35 – *Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week VI:

Day 36 – 9 Passages from EK101 or TPR (90 Minutes)
Day 37 Review 9 Passages
Day 38 – T1 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T1
Day 39 – Review T1
Day 40 – T2 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T2
Day 41 – Review T2
Day 42*Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week VII:

Day 43 – T3 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T3
Day 44 – Review T3
Day 45 – T4 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T4
Day 46 – Review T4
Day 47 – T5 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T5
Day 48 – Review T5
Day 49 –*Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week VIII:

Day 50 – T6 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T6
Day 51 – Review T6
Day 52 – T7 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T7
Day 53 – Review T7
Day 54 – T8 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T8
Day 55 – Review T8
Day 56*Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week IX:

Day 57 – (9) Passages from AAMC CARS Question Pack (90 Minutes)
Day 58 – Review CARS Practice Test Question Pack
Day 59 – (9) Passages from AAMC CARS Question Pack (90 Minutes)
Day 60 – Review CARS Practice Test Question Pack
Day 61 – (9) Passages from AAMC CARS Question Pack (90 Minutes)
Day 62 – Review CARS Practice Test Question Pack
Day 63 – *Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week X:

Day 64 – (9) Passages from AAMC CARS Question Pack (90 Minutes)
Day 65 – Review CARS Practice Test Question Pack
Day 66 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 1
Day 67 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 1
Day 68 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 2
Day 69 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 2
Day 70 – *Break - Do (2) Passage from AAMC CARS Question Pack

Week XI:

Day 71 – AAMC Official MCAT Sample Test
Day 72 – Review AAMC Official MCAT Sample Test
Day 73 – *Break – Don't do any passages today.
Day 74 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 3
Day 75 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 3
Day 76 – *Break - Do (2) Passage from AAMC CARS Question Pack
Day 77 – AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 1

Week XII:

Day 78 – AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 1
Day 79 – *Break - Do (2) Passage from AAMC CARS Question Pack
Day 80 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 4
Day 81 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 4
Day 82 – *Break - Do (2) Passage from AAMC CARS Question Pack
Day 83 – AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 2
Day 84 – AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 2

Week XIII:

Day 85 –*Break – Don't do any passages today.
Day 86 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 5
Day 87 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 5
Day 88 – (5) CARS Passages from AAMC Study Guide
Day 89 – *Break – Don't do any passages today.
Day 90 – Test Day

In our next post, we'll review all available CARS materials so you can make the decision that's best for you.

Just finished T1 after finishing the 30 day challenge and wow. 123. I am taking the MCAT in May and I feel ****ed. Why does your guide say we need NextStep when the 90 day extended schedule shows us using ExamKrackers and AAMC exams only?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How can someone purchase Testing Solutions' in house CARS materials in a form other than the Kindle version offered online?

About me, I am an ESL candidate. My AAMC MCAT CARS score was 124. I am re-taking it this June. I have solid 90+daysto go. My initial strategies were highlighting, and reading the passage fast ( ended up getting back to the passage while answering). Now I have trained myself to read the passage while focusing the author's tone. I feel like that is helping me answer the questions without referring back to the passage.

I have completed the 30-day guide (boot camp). I can see a significant improvement if I must say. I am getting 70-75% in the quizzes, especially I noticed this when I started doing 4,5 and 6 timed passages. I am not sure if that gets translated into a good CARS score? Any comments or suggestions?

How did you end up doing on the real MCAT CARS? Just curious as I am interested in this course.

Members don't see this ad :)

Timing:

Ok, hopefully, your burn through material is in the mail, and you did your one passage yesterday. If you didn't, today's a new day to get a new start. Remember to take every passage under timed conditions. Our goal early on is to build your intuition about the correct pacing for the CARS section. This is why it is so important to do your passages timed and especially in the early stages, to do them within the time intervals I laid out on Day 1. If you’re getting through a 7 question passage in significantly less time than 12 minutes, try and slow down a little bit to make sure you’re not missing anything and if you’re taking much longer than 9 minutes on a 5 question passage, try speeding up some and letting go of the harder questions in the passage sooner. As we proceed through these first 30 days, I’ll outline a more nuanced timing strategy where you aren't so worried about the number of questions and minutes, but for now, you’re training and getting comfortable. Keep up the hard work. As with all new things, it’s new and uncomfortable at first.

Remember:
1) For the first week, do one passage a day, no matter what!​
2) Use the following time intervals for the CARS section.​
a. For a passage with 5 questions | 9 Minutes​
b. For a passage with 6 questions | 10.5 Minutes​
c. For a passage with 7 questions | 12 Minutes​

Reviewing/ (Timing again!):

So now on to some new material for today. One of the major misconceptions most premeds have about studying for the CARS section is the emphasis they put on reviewing passages and questions. To get an ultra-high score, you are going to have to review your tests in great detail. For those looking to score in the 90%+ range, you’ll need to be able to identify question types, wrong answer pathologies, and parse the author’s arguments into their components. These are all critical skills for top tier success, but they are not foundational skills. I cannot count the number of students I’ve taught and tutored who would spend hours trying to master these advanced strategies reviewing their practice tests in great detail but yet were still consistently rushing the last third of the test, basically sprinting through the last three passages and question sets. Studying the advanced strategies first is like trying to run a marathon before you can walk. It just doesn’t work. I’m going to say something controversial, but it is the critical first step to getting any score you want on the MCAT CARS section, whether you’re shooting for an average, above average, or ultra- high (ivy league) score.

Until you’re able to consistently finish your CARS practice tests on time without rushing through any passages, you shouldn’t be reviewing your practice tests. Instead, you should be taking more practice tests.

I know this is heresy for some, but if my teaching and tutoring experiences have taught me anything it is this: Most students have the ability on day one to score well on the CARS section if they are able to master their pacing. This means a few things:

Don’t waste time reviewing your practice tests until:

- You are consistently finishing your passages without rushing

- You are able to consistently finish your passages without staring at the clock to regulate whether you should speed up or slow down. (We are trying to build your CARS pacing intuition, which does not mean staring at the clock all the time).

- You are able to consistently let go of hard questions without getting snagged on them and wasting precious time.

This is the single easiest change that MCATers can make!

1) The first time you think to yourself, “I’m spending a lot of time on this question” look at the clock and give yourself 30 more seconds.​
2) Eliminate any answer choices you can.​
3) After 30 seconds, guess, mark the question for review later, and tell yourself “I’ll come back to this later once I get the easy ones.”​
4) If you do this, you will have time at the end of the test to come back, and more often than not, giving yourself a little time to clear your head, you’ll see the question anew and what you were missing the first time.​

Once you master your pacing, then it’s time to move on to the advanced techniques we’ll explore later in our 30-day learning phase. For those of you seething at the mouth right now, we will go over my detailed approach to reviewing CARS passages, questions, and answer types which will allow you to develop your advanced techniques, but you've got to master the basics first. Until then, keep doing your daily passage and focus on not getting snagged on the hard questions.

Just because it’s so important, I’ll say it again, practice letting go of the hard questions. Getting your timing down is the easiest way to make huge improvements on the CARS section. You’re already smart enough to do well on the CARS right now. It’s just that you’re not used to the correct pacing yet, and you aren’t in the habit of letting go of the difficult questions that most test takers get wrong anyways.

Remember: The question that will keep you out of your top medical school is not the one you get wrong, but the one you spend too much time on.

Today's Assignment: Do One CARS Passage Under Timed Conditions - Click Here to Take Our Day 3 Passage - Psychology

TIP: For those of you who will be going through this guide on a daily basis, it can be time-consuming to find the correct day's post due to all the questions. We've created a "Table of Contents" PDF which has links to each post. You can use the PDF to jump directly to the post you're on. Download your "Table of Contents" here!

You’ve done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination.”
– Ralph Martson

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the post, I've been having trouble finding the nuanced guide on timing, can you please let me know where I can find it?

Thanks!

Has anyone used the med-pathway 1600 question bank for the mcat is it worth it? what about uworld?

Reactions: 1 user

Have you done your passage today? Do it! In two short days, we’ll be starting two-a-days, so enjoy the break while it lasts!

The Passage

Today, we’re going to start a mini-series on how to best read for the MCAT CARS section. This is one of the most important topics that we’ll cover in this entire series. Besides mastering the right pace, how a student approaches reading the passages is the most critical skill to develop. There is so much crap out there about how to approach the CARS section that students are left drowning in a sea of fecal matter. As you learned yesterday in the, “Do's and Don’ts” of MCAT CARS there is a lot of junk out there, so your best bet is to see if you can find the courage to let go of your preconceived notions about the CARS section and start with a clean slate. I promise you that I have seen the approach I’m about to explain to you work for hundreds of students. It is simple and easy to do. It’s not fancy or complicated. It’s got five steps, and if you do these repeatedly, they’ll become old hat within the week. But before I go into the Testing Solutions’ approach to reading CARS passages, I want to say one more thing about timing.

The reason you are having trouble finishing the CARS section has nothing to do with your reading speed or how long you’re taking to read the passages.”

The time crunch almost every MCATer faces early on when starting to practice for the CARS has nothing to do with reading passages. NOTHING! Let me explain:

There are 9 passages on the CARS section. Each passage is a maximum of 600 words. Thus,

9 X 600 words = 5,400 words

Now, the average reading speed for an adult is 300 words per minute. Thus,

5,400 words / 300 words per minute = 18 minutes

Just in case that hasn’t sunk in, I’ll say it again, it would take the average adult just 18 minutes to read all 9 of the passages on the CARS section. Even if you read at half the rate of an average adult (150 words per minute), you’d still have 54 minutes remaining to answer the 53 questions. If you’re having trouble finishing on time, it isn’t because of how you’re reading the passage. I’ll go into how to fix this problem below. Let’s take a look at the steps to passage reading success.

The Testing Solutions’ Approach to Reading CARS Passages:

Step 1: Stop before every passage (including the first one!), close your eyes, and take three deep, slow breaths. Count inside your head (oneeeeee) on the inhale through your nose, and then slowly exhale through your mouth. Repeat and count twoooooo. And finally, repeat for threeee. Notice any sensations in your chest, stomach, or mouth as you breathe. Try to watch your breath. I know you might be rolling your eyes, but this clears your mental ram and allows you to let go of the previous passage or the stress of starting a new section. Don’t be the person who springs into the first passage and “reads” the first passage without realizing what’s going on. You’ll have to start over, and you’ll be beating yourself up for the rest of the test for the wasted time. Take three deep, slow breaths before every passage (including the first one!).

Step 2: Do the passages in order. Don’t skip around. Some companies out there recommend a “Now or Later” approach where in your preview, you decide if you’re going to do the passage now or come back later. If you want to score in the 127 to 129 range (a competitive CARS score) you are going to have to do well on every passage. Don’t waste time trying to figure out whether it’s going to be an easy or hard passage for you. Often, CARS passages which are difficult to read have easy questions and easy passages have difficult questions. It is impossible to determine in 10 to 15 seconds whether you’re going to have a hard time with a passage or not. Buckle down and do the passages in order, one right after another. Do the passages in order.

Step 3: Take 10 to 15 seconds and preview the passage. Your only goal is to realize the topic of the passage. Is it a history passage? Or one about philosophy? Where’s it going? What’s it about in the most general of terms. I’d recommend reading the first sentence of every paragraph. So often, CARS passages start off seeming like they’re about one thing when two paragraphs down you realize they’re about something completely different. The surprise can be jarring and cause a loss of retention. Take 10 to 15 seconds to preview the passage!

Step 4: Read the passage slowly and thoroughly. DON’T SKIM! You need to understand what you’re reading, even if you have to spend a little extra time. On the other hand, don’t try to master every detail as 80% of what you read in the passage will not be referenced by the questions. As you read the passage, read for structure, not detail. The details will be there if you need them. As you read the passage, ask yourself continually these three questions:

1) Why did the author write this?​
2) Where is the author likely to go?​
3) Which kinds of questions might I expect?​

Read actively. Engage with the material. Lie to yourself and tell yourself this passage is the most interesting thing you’ve ever read. Formulate the “Why” of “Why did the author take the time to write this.” Above all, Read the passage slowly and thoroughly, and DON’T SKIM, EVER!

Step 5: If you are not finishing with time to spare on your CARS practice tests (i.e. you haven’t mastered the CARS pacing yet), you cannot, and I repeat cannot go back to the passage after you finish reading it. Read through the passage once, slowly and thoroughly, and then you’re done with looking at the passage. Move on and answer the questions. The reason students have so much time trouble on the CARS section is because they spend three or four times the amount of time they should going back to the passage trying to look up the answers. We’ll go over when and how to go back to the passage later, but know that the MCAT rarely asks hunt and find questions. They want you to be able to grasp the gist of the passage, not word search answers. Once your timing is under control and you're regularly finishing, then you can start to go back to the passage sparingly, but not until then. If you’re not finishing the CARS section with time to spare, don’t go back to the passage when answering questions until you’ve answered them all. Then go back to the ones you marked if you have time at the end.

A Short Review:

In shorter form:

Step 1: Take three deep, slow breaths before every passage (including the first one!)
Step 2: Do the passages in order.
Step 3: Take 10 to 15 seconds to preview the passage.
Step 4: Read the passage slowly and thoroughly. Don’t SKIM!
Step 5: If you haven’t mastered your pacing yet, don’t go back to the passage until you’ve answered all the questions once through!

Great job today! Start integrating these five steps into your daily passages from here on out. We’ll continue taking a look at how to approach CARS passages tomorrow. Until then!

Today's Assignment: Do One CARS Passage Under Timed Conditions - Click Here to Take Our Day 5 Passage - Psychology

Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.”
– Swami Vivekananda

"I just wanted to say thank you for creating such a great CARS bootcamp course with Testing Solutions…I got my MCAT score back about 2 weeks ago and got a 132 on CARS! Honestly, I’m still in shock at my score…I started off with CARS being my worst section (with almost no improvement using the Kaplan/EK CARS strategies), but gradually improved and gained so much confidence through the bootcamp. I was initially struggling and felt really unsure of how to approach the section, but the Testing Solutions’ bootcamp helped tremendously (both practice passages and the written guides), and I truly believe that it was the biggest factor in my CARS score. I'll definitely be recommending the Testing Solutions’ CARS bootcamp to other people as the best CARS prep resource!"

Click Here to Start your Testing Solutions’ 2019 MCAT CARS Bootcamp Today!

Wouldn't that lower the accuracy if we can't go to the passage at all and even when you know where to exactly look?

Hey guys! Not sure if this is happening for others as well. I can't seem to access the practice passage for the 30-day guide. May I know how to resolve this problem? When I clicked the link it says "no results found".

I actually already have! I have used the pacing guidelines for each passage and they definitely help! Looking forward to more improvements.

Have you done your passage today? Do it! In two short days, we’ll be starting two-a-days, so enjoy the break while it lasts!

The Passage

Today, we’re going to start a mini-series on how to best read for the MCAT CARS section. This is one of the most important topics that we’ll cover in this entire series. Besides mastering the right pace, how a student approaches reading the passages is the most critical skill to develop. There is so much crap out there about how to approach the CARS section that students are left drowning in a sea of fecal matter. As you learned yesterday in the, “Do's and Don’ts” of MCAT CARS there is a lot of junk out there, so your best bet is to see if you can find the courage to let go of your preconceived notions about the CARS section and start with a clean slate. I promise you that I have seen the approach I’m about to explain to you work for hundreds of students. It is simple and easy to do. It’s not fancy or complicated. It’s got five steps, and if you do these repeatedly, they’ll become old hat within the week. But before I go into the Testing Solutions’ approach to reading CARS passages, I want to say one more thing about timing.

The reason you are having trouble finishing the CARS section has nothing to do with your reading speed or how long you’re taking to read the passages.”

The time crunch almost every MCATer faces early on when starting to practice for the CARS has nothing to do with reading passages. NOTHING! Let me explain:

There are 9 passages on the CARS section. Each passage is a maximum of 600 words. Thus,

9 X 600 words = 5,400 words

Now, the average reading speed for an adult is 300 words per minute. Thus,

5,400 words / 300 words per minute = 18 minutes

Just in case that hasn’t sunk in, I’ll say it again, it would take the average adult just 18 minutes to read all 9 of the passages on the CARS section. Even if you read at half the rate of an average adult (150 words per minute), you’d still have 54 minutes remaining to answer the 53 questions. If you’re having trouble finishing on time, it isn’t because of how you’re reading the passage. I’ll go into how to fix this problem below. Let’s take a look at the steps to passage reading success.

The Testing Solutions’ Approach to Reading CARS Passages:

Step 1: Stop before every passage (including the first one!), close your eyes, and take three deep, slow breaths. Count inside your head (oneeeeee) on the inhale through your nose, and then slowly exhale through your mouth. Repeat and count twoooooo. And finally, repeat for threeee. Notice any sensations in your chest, stomach, or mouth as you breathe. Try to watch your breath. I know you might be rolling your eyes, but this clears your mental ram and allows you to let go of the previous passage or the stress of starting a new section. Don’t be the person who springs into the first passage and “reads” the first passage without realizing what’s going on. You’ll have to start over, and you’ll be beating yourself up for the rest of the test for the wasted time. Take three deep, slow breaths before every passage (including the first one!).

Step 2: Do the passages in order. Don’t skip around. Some companies out there recommend a “Now or Later” approach where in your preview, you decide if you’re going to do the passage now or come back later. If you want to score in the 127 to 129 range (a competitive CARS score) you are going to have to do well on every passage. Don’t waste time trying to figure out whether it’s going to be an easy or hard passage for you. Often, CARS passages which are difficult to read have easy questions and easy passages have difficult questions. It is impossible to determine in 10 to 15 seconds whether you’re going to have a hard time with a passage or not. Buckle down and do the passages in order, one right after another. Do the passages in order.

Step 3: Take 10 to 15 seconds and preview the passage. Your only goal is to realize the topic of the passage. Is it a history passage? Or one about philosophy? Where’s it going? What’s it about in the most general of terms. I’d recommend reading the first sentence of every paragraph. So often, CARS passages start off seeming like they’re about one thing when two paragraphs down you realize they’re about something completely different. The surprise can be jarring and cause a loss of retention. Take 10 to 15 seconds to preview the passage!

Step 4: Read the passage slowly and thoroughly. DON’T SKIM! You need to understand what you’re reading, even if you have to spend a little extra time. On the other hand, don’t try to master every detail as 80% of what you read in the passage will not be referenced by the questions. As you read the passage, read for structure, not detail. The details will be there if you need them. As you read the passage, ask yourself continually these three questions:

1) Why did the author write this?​
2) Where is the author likely to go?​
3) Which kinds of questions might I expect?​

Read actively. Engage with the material. Lie to yourself and tell yourself this passage is the most interesting thing you’ve ever read. Formulate the “Why” of “Why did the author take the time to write this.” Above all, Read the passage slowly and thoroughly, and DON’T SKIM, EVER!

Step 5: If you are not finishing with time to spare on your CARS practice tests (i.e. you haven’t mastered the CARS pacing yet), you cannot, and I repeat cannot go back to the passage after you finish reading it. Read through the passage once, slowly and thoroughly, and then you’re done with looking at the passage. Move on and answer the questions. The reason students have so much time trouble on the CARS section is because they spend three or four times the amount of time they should going back to the passage trying to look up the answers. We’ll go over when and how to go back to the passage later, but know that the MCAT rarely asks hunt and find questions. They want you to be able to grasp the gist of the passage, not word search answers. Once your timing is under control and you're regularly finishing, then you can start to go back to the passage sparingly, but not until then. If you’re not finishing the CARS section with time to spare, don’t go back to the passage when answering questions until you’ve answered them all. Then go back to the ones you marked if you have time at the end.

A Short Review:

In shorter form:

Step 1: Take three deep, slow breaths before every passage (including the first one!)
Step 2: Do the passages in order.
Step 3: Take 10 to 15 seconds to preview the passage.
Step 4: Read the passage slowly and thoroughly. Don’t SKIM!
Step 5: If you haven’t mastered your pacing yet, don’t go back to the passage until you’ve answered all the questions once through!

Great job today! Start integrating these five steps into your daily passages from here on out. We’ll continue taking a look at how to approach CARS passages tomorrow. Until then!

Today's Assignment: Do One CARS Passage Under Timed Conditions - Click Here to Take Our Day 5 Passage - Psychology

Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.”
– Swami Vivekananda

Click Here to Start your Testing Solutions’ 2019 MCAT CARS Bootcamp Today!

Hi @TestingSolutions I am concerned about timing. You say to read slowly, however, I feel that I can not read a passage consistently in 4 minutes while at the same time making notes about where the author is going and what their main idea is. I feel extremely overwhelmed as I feel like I need to read so slowly to actually understand what is going on. HELP!

Hi, I have difficulty to access my "Practice test", I used to have 14 practice test. Now under the recourses bottom, it is empty. Now I can only access to my course. I buy the course mainly for the practice tests, which I already finished 6 of them. Now I can not even review. I email you guys about it, Sara reply me with a screen shot and stating the I can access my course, BUT I am NOT talking about the course! I am TALKING about the practice exam!!!! PRACTICE EXAM is not the same as the COURSE!!!!! Please read my message, I paid 89$, which is not cheap for a poor student who works as a full time voluteer. Please DON't just TAKE THE MONEY and then REMOVE my valuable PRACTICE tests. BE an Ethical business, refund me the money or give my practice test back.
Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 10.11.03 AM.png

Howdy! My name is Nick Zehner, and I’m an MS3 at Stanford. I started Testing Solutions 5 years ago to help students struggling with the hardest section on the MCAT, the CARS. With so much conflicting advice out there, it can be hard to know where to turn to get a tried and true method that actually works, not just for one person, but for thousands. That’s been the goal of this thread/guide for the last 5 years, and I’m proud that it’s worked so well for so many.

This guide will answer all your questions and even some you didn't know you had. It's meant to be exhaustive and provide you with everything you need to know to achieve an ultra-high CARS score. It is your step-by-step guide to getting you from the couch to MCAT CARS success. If you have any questions, I hope you’ll feel free to ask them on here. I try my very best to respond within a day or two. Hope to talk with you soon!

This is an excellent question! One of the hardest parts of studying for the CARS is all the conflicting advice out there. I highly recommend that you find a resource you trust completely and stick with it. Just because some strategy supposedly worked one time for someone on SDN doesn't mean it will work consistently. Use tried and true methods from people who know the CARS well. There are a number of reasons why I think you should trust me, but the top two are:

1) I’m qualified.

I've helped hundreds of students personally and thousands of students online with the CARS. Since our founding, we've sold over 50,000 CARS practice tests! Check out the impressive results of just a few of my recent students who took the MCAT in 2018.
a

"When I started studying for the MCAT, it felt like an unmanageable task. There were so many methods and techniques that promised results. I was particularly concerned about CARS, which is something that seems to hold many people back. I'm extremely glad I found Testing Solutions. The Bootcamp impacted the way I tackled CARS. By the time I took the test it felt like second nature. I believe Testing Solutions has the best advice I've come across during my preparation. The practice tests are hard and really help to hammer home the critical reading skills required to succeed at the test. I began my preparation struggling with CARS and ended up with a 95th percentile score. It was the best investment I made in preparing for the MCAT."
a

a

a

a

"If you're like me, then reading and comprehension is not your strength in academics. That's what made CARS so daunting…One phrase that has never left my memory back when I played pee-wee basketball as a third grader is this phrase: "Perfect practice makes perfect." The CARS bootcamp from Testing Solutions provides that perfect practice. The passages…forced me to develop my reasoning skills quickly, and the explanations from Testing Solutions gave me insight into what question writers were really asking…There are tons of resources and materials for studying CARS out there, but you will be hard pressed to find any that are as concise and provide as intense preparation than the Testing Solutions CARS bootcamp."
a

a

This CARS Jump-Start email course will especially be useful for students who are not taking the MCAT for awhile but want to get a head start and begin preparing now! You really can't start preparing for the CARS too early, and in an ideal world, you'd start months before you begin your dedicated study period. This course gets you started on the right foot.

With that said, it's been designed to help everyone so regardless of where you are at on your CARS journey, this 8-day CARS Jump-Start email course will provide you with the very highest yield CARS strategies and tactics that you can start putting into practice today!

a

a

a

a

If you're ready to start going through this 30-Day Guide to CARS Succes, we recommend you download our "Table of COntents" PDF. It can be time-consuming to find the correct day's post due to all the questions users have posted through the years, so we've created this "Table of Contents" PDF which has links to each day's post. You just open the PDF and can use it to jump directly to the post/ day you're on. Download your "Table of Contents" here!
a

a

While our study guide is 30 days long, most MCATers will need roughly 90 days to get to an MCAT CARS score they'll be happy with. I've outlined the schedule I recommend to my students below, as well as the materials that you'll need to complete the schedule.

• Note that this is the "old MCAT." EK's New CARS book is very bad and I cannot recommend anyone use it.

Phase I - For the first 30 days, while you cover the major strategy points in this guide, I recommend you use passages from either EK 101 or TPR. In this phase of your preparation, you'll do a total of 69 passages. I'll explain how and when to do these passages in the guide.

Phase II - In the next 30 days, you'll take 14 CARS Full-Length Practice Tests. I recommend using Testing Solutions' Practice Tests (T1-T16) as well as your remaining passages from EK101 and TPR. You'll also use the AAMC Question Packs. In this phase, you'll do 126 passages.

Phase III - In the final 30 days, your CARS prep will largely be integrated with your taking of full-length MCAT practice tests. I have you taking all three of EK's full-lengths, four of Next Steps' full-lengths, and the four available AAMC practice tests. There are break days built in so. One some break days, you'll do one passage, just to keep you sharp, while on other break days, you'll just rest. In this final phase of your preparation, you'll do 85 passages. Thus, if you follow this schedule to the “T,” you'll do 361 CARS practice passages. If you do that many practice passages, and follow the techniques I outline in this guide, you'll come as close to a guarantee of scoring 129+ on the CARS section as is possible. I have never had a student that has actually followed this schedule and not be happy with their score.

This schedule was designed to fit into whatever general schedule/ approach you're employing for the other three sections. Most days, you'll spend around an hour and a half on CARS, but sometimes more will be required. The key to mastering the CARS is to do a little bit each day. You cannot cram for the CARS. This section must be respected. Just like how you eat an elephant, remember that it's just one bite at a time, one day at a time. WARNING: Do not get behind on this schedule. If you're worried about that, build in some extra break days at the end of the schedule (Which is to say, start this schedule 100 days out from your test instead of 90, however, the compressed and rigorous nature of this schedule does build your stamina and prepares you for the rigors of test day, so don't let too much time lapse between practice tests.) It is not possible to do two days in one to catch up.

Week I:

Week II:

Week III:

Day 21 – CARS Question Format: Roman Numerals *Break -Don't do any passages today.

Week IV:

In Week IV, you'll do four passage per day until the 25th and then do five passages per day. Do the passages consecutively, timed together.

Week V:

You'll do six passages on Day 29 and Day 30. Do the passages consecutively, timed together.

Week VI:

Day 37 Review 9 Passages
Day 39 – Review T1
Day 41 – Review T2

Week VII:

Day 44 – Review T3
Day 46 – Review T4
Day 48 – Review T5

Week VIII:

Day 51 – Review T6
Day 53 – Review T7
Day 55 – Review T8

Week IX:

Week X:

Week XI:

Week XII:

Week XIII:

Day 90 – Test Day

In our next post, we'll review all available CARS materials so you can make the decision that's best for you.

How much?

Unfortunately, I think the OP has become busy with life as a physician, but his insights can still be very helpful. When he first started posting at SDN, his stuff was the panacea for many people struggling on CARS. He is one the rare treats in this business, as someone who clearly was doing it because he cared about people more than any other reason.

1) I’m qualified.

a

a

a

a

a

a

a

a

a

a

a

a

a

Week I:

Week II:

Week III:

Week IV:

Week V:

Week VI:

Day 37 Review 9 Passages
Day 39 – Review T1
Day 41 – Review T2

Week VII:

Day 44 – Review T3
Day 46 – Review T4
Day 48 – Review T5

Week VIII:

Day 51 – Review T6
Day 53 – Review T7
Day 55 – Review T8

Week IX:

Week X:

Week XI:

Week XII:

Week XIII:

Day 90 – Test Day

I am a testingsoluions student, when I choose a normal time for the practice passage is that the correct time I should be setting myself up for?