Texas A&M Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend said she gets minimal amount of grants. Majority of it is in loans. That's expected for a professional school though. I think someone told me that there are scholarship opportunities also but it might be after your P1 year though.

Members don't see this ad.

My friend said she gets minimal amount of grants. Majority of it is in loans. That's expected for a professional school though. I think someone told me that there are scholarship opportunities also but it might be after your P1 year though.

There are definitely scholarship opportunities. They will tell you about that stuff at pre-orientation I'm sure. I got a "disadvantaged student" scholarship this year. I didn't think for a second that I would get it, but did. You never know, it never hurts to apply.

I just logged onto my FASFA account and when you log in at the bottom is has a link that says "make FASFA corrections." You should try there. :)

Also, don't forget your school code should be for Texas A&M Health Science Center. We are a part of them, NOT Texas A&M Kingsville.

Will I be able to edit my FAFSA application? Man, I knew I shoulda waited. Now I'm scared I won't get any aid which will not be good for me because there is no way I can afford school without loans.

Yes, you can. I submitted my FAFSA before being accepted, so it was filled in incorrectly. When I found out what I was supposed to put, I logged in and simply made changes to my earlier submission. The instructions should be on there when you try to edit it.

Like LSUCPhT, I got the same scholarship. They also periodically email you about different opportunities on occasion. You'll only have zero opportunities if you don't take advantage of them.

That's probably why I got it. As for LSU, I'm sure it's because she's from Louisiana ;D

As far as the TAMHSC/TAMUK thing, that confusion is bound to stay for awhile. I mean, even our building seal and sign still says we're Texas A&M Kingsville from when they were building the school with the intent of running it themselves. To put into perspective, the people in charge of putting the program together for the SNPhA regionals this year put the old TAMUK seal for the ILRCOP instead of the HSC logo. When even pharmacy students can't communicate to get it right, you know others won't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an e-mail back and they said they will let m know if I filled it out wrong and not to worry. I feel better now. =)

I'm a P3 looking for two roommates to move into a townhouse/house in August.

Rent $300~400.

Preferably Asian but open minded.

message me if interested.

thanks

Last edited:
That's probably why I got it. As for LSU, I'm sure it's because she's from Louisiana ;D

Hey now! Watch it buddy! I know where you live! lol .....or MAYBE it's because my husband is basically supporting 2 households right now?? :p

Oh how does that work? haha I'm really interested in vet pharmacy.

Oh wait I think I know what your asking about. There is a vet pharmacy course elective through the University of Florida you can take online.

I think what you want to know about is a fourth year rotation in Veterinary Pharmacy? There is one in College Station at the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Center. It is an APPE elective course. There are a lot of other variables to consider (plus it is a ways off). So I hope that answers your questions.

Oh wait I think I know what your asking about. There is a vet pharmacy course elective through the University of Florida you can take online.

I think what you want to know about is a fourth year rotation in Veterinary Pharmacy? There is one in College Station at the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Center. It is an APPE elective course. There are a lot of other variables to consider (plus it is a ways off). So I hope that answers your questions.

You answered the question. I was wondering about the class not rotations but knowing about the rotations was an added bonus! Thanks for your help!

i declined my offer to A&M ..so hopefully someone deserving will get that seat good luck all you guys...

velvet and nervousforsure....all the best :)

i declined my offer to A&M ..so hopefully someone deserving will get that seat good luck all you guys...

Awwwww =( I was hoping you were gonna choose A&M. Are you going to OU instead? Best to you too sweetie!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck to you as well. :luck:

I'm a P3 looking for two roommates to move into a townhouse/house in August.

Rent $300~400.

Preferably Asian but open minded.

message me if interested.

thanks

Where is the townhouse/house you are looking at? I'm trying to find a place like that.

Good luck to you abin0077. Lucky for me that I am living in Houston now. Kingsville is only 4 hours away.

Anytime you transfer to another university, your GPA will start over.
Anyway, I am looking for 1 or 2 female roommates now. Since my bf will not be moving with me, I am planning to rent a 2 or 3 bedrooms apartment. If anyone is interested, we can meet at Kingsville around June 2-3 <before or after the preorientation) and go around the area looking for apartment together.

Just wondering, has anyone heard if the school is filled for the fall because I have still not recieved that call of acceptance or rejection. :( Thanks.

Just wondering, has anyone heard if the school is filled for the fall because I have still not recieved that call of acceptance or rejection. :( Thanks.

I called Dr. Robertson personally yesterday and he said there are 2 seats still remaining and he's going to be calling from the wait-list till those seats are filled. Good luck! :)

There's one scholarship you can get as a P1, that pretty much everyone in the school can get. Forgot what it was called. You'll find out when you get here.

I called Dr. Robertson personally yesterday and he said there are 2 seats still remaining and he's going to be calling from the wait-list till those seats are filled. Good luck! :)

O my I hope I am one of the two. So if they get filled its game over for me. Does he tell you if you have a chance.

That's how I treated it last year. When I called and asked at that time, I was told that if I have any blips on my record (F's, withdrawals, etc), this would be a good place to explain it.

The application is pretty short. I remember stressing out until I downloaded it. A&M supposedly has a much more relaxed application process than most other schools in the state. I enjoyed my interview day thoroughly, for example, because they did their best to make us feel comfortable.

i have seen you around SDN for some time and it encourages me to know that people like you have made it to a pharmacy school, encouraging me too. tell me please, am a astudent at delmar planning to take the pcat next year and apply to kingsville same year. hope things go well for me. since i look foward to joining kingsville school of pharmacy. please adivce me on hoe to go by and since i havent done so welll in my general chem as i both made B. ADVISE ME

i have seen you around SDN for some time and it encourages me to know that people like you have made it to a pharmacy school, encouraging me too. tell me please, am a astudent at delmar planning to take the pcat next year and apply to kingsville same year. hope things go well for me. since i look foward to joining kingsville school of pharmacy. please adivce me on hoe to go by and since i havent done so welll in my general chem as i both made B. ADVISE ME
If there are courses you need to focus on most (and do best in), it's your Bio and Chem series courses. Organic isn't easy, but Dr. Sutherd at Del Mar is supposed to be a great professor. Schedule your Micro and Genetics super early, because they fill up quickly.

Other than that, do well, and get involved on campus at your school. Best of luck on the PCAT!

Hi guys, I will be declining my offer also... good luck!

I have one question though, what is the best way to do that? I was thinking about calling the school...

Are there students that commute from corpus christi? I'm trying to find a place between kingsville and corpus because my finace is going to have to work in corpus.

Are there students that commute from corpus christi? I'm trying to find a place between kingsville and corpus because my finace is going to have to work in corpus.

There are people who rented apartments over in Corpus but eventually ended up moving into Kingsville because they got to know their classmates. Right now, the only people in the P1 class I can think of that live in Corpus are the ones that were living in Corpus to begin with.

In addition, with gas prices so high, it's more expensive. Also, it makes it harder to be in organizations, etc. Yes, there are students that live in CC, however.

In addition, with gas prices so high, it's more expensive. Also, it makes it harder to be in organizations, etc. Yes, there are students that live in CC, however.

If you drive a car like mine and you are traveling between Corpus and Kingsville, you'll have to fill up a few times per week (I usually fill up once a month because I rarely go to Corpus unless I need it, but if I do, it takes up a quarter of my tank).

You probably want to save that gas money for when you go on rounds.

Yeah, my fiance would have to be the one to commute that far. He drives a hybrid though haha

We were thinking about trying to look for a place in between. Maybe Robstown or Driscoll??

I make the drive every day from Corpus to Kingsville. I use almost exactly a quarter tank each day (round trip). I fill up Sunday night and Thursday afternoon like clockwork.

It's an extra couple of hundred dollars we didn't really think about the first semester. Fewer lunches out during the Spring. ;)

Hey, I didn't forget about ya. I'll hit ya up once we're done with finals (mid-May).

I make the drive every day from Corpus to Kingsville. I use almost exactly a quarter tank each day (round trip). I fill up Sunday night and Thursday afternoon like clockwork.

It's an extra couple of hundred dollars we didn't really think about the first semester. Fewer lunches out during the Spring. ;)

How long is the drive if you live on the outside of Corpus? 45 min?

I declined my seat today. I know a well deserving applicant will take my seat. =)

Hey everyone,

I got accepted to A&M Kingsville this past week, and I am pretty excited to join the great network of students there.

This question is for current A&M Kingsville students who know more than I do about the apartment situation in Kingsville. I'm looking for a place that I can stay in for all 4 years, as I'm sure it might be a hassle to change apartments all the time. Would you P2s, P3s, etc. recommend staying at Hawk's Landing, Hunter's Cove, or some other place not so close to campus? I have heard enough bad things about Javelina Station that I don't think I would like to stay there. I know most P1s stay there for social reasons, but I would rather be in a quieter place that I can sleep peacefully in, haha.

Anyway, I would appreciate any information from anyone who knows a bit about Kingsville. And I'm hoping I can get a lease somewhere besides Javelina Station, as I hear it's pretty competitive to get a place at Hawk's or Hunter's Cove.

Also, are there many 1 bedroom 1 baths available around town? Or will I plan to have a roommate if I want to actually get an available aparment? Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I got accepted to A&M Kingsville this past week, and I am pretty excited to join the great network of students there.

This question is for current A&M Kingsville students who know more than I do about the apartment situation in Kingsville. I'm looking for a place that I can stay in for all 4 years, as I'm sure it might be a hassle to change apartments all the time. Would you P2s, P3s, etc. recommend staying at Hawk's Landing, Hunter's Cove, or some other place not so close to campus? I have heard enough bad things about Javelina Station that I don't think I would like to stay there. I know most P1s stay there for social reasons, but I would rather be in a quieter place that I can sleep peacefully in, haha.

Anyway, I would appreciate any information from anyone who knows a bit about Kingsville. And I'm hoping I can get a lease somewhere besides Javelina Station, as I hear it's pretty competitive to get a place at Hawk's or Hunter's Cove.

Also, are there many 1 bedroom 1 baths available around town? Or will I plan to have a roommate if I want to actually get an available aparment? Thanks!

Congrats on getting accepted! There has been a facebook page started for your class. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_112869082127317&ap=1 Future P2s and P3s are on there answering questions almost immediately after posts lol.

We have recently answered a lot of questions regarding housing. You may want to check that out. I am going to be a P2 and lived in Javelina Station last year and will again next year. I am in building 4 away from the courtyard and on the 3rd floor and really don't have any issues. I personally love waking up and being 5 minutes from school. I also didn't want to bring furniture down to K-ville, so another reason I chose JS. I rent out the whole 2 bedroom apartment at JS, a bit costly, but I didn't want a roommate. I know Hunter's Cove and Hawk's Landing are nice, but they have very long waiting lists. I recommend checking out Apple Creek too. Hope this helps.

I look forward to meeting all my fellow classmates at our meeting june 3rd WHAT WHAT!!!

Does anyone know why A&M (Tech and UT also) has a declining trend in PCAT scores in recent years? From their website, 2009 accepted avg PCAT score dropped to low 70 (71 I think) from high 70 in previous years. (2010 was 73)

Any chance the scores might go up again?

I spoke to people from all three schools, A&M, Tech and UT and was encouraged to apply with my PCAT score, 69, since it is a competitive score with a decent GPA. But I'm thinking that's b/c recent avg scores have been in the low 70's for recent years.

If anyone can clarify I would appreciate it.

Anyone else applying for admission to Texas A&M for the fall 2012 class?

Could any admitted pharmacy students offer insight on the school, curriculum, and city in general?

Are the recommendations done online, through a printed form, or do the recommenders have to write one, and mail it in on plain letterhead?

Thanks.

I am applying for the 2012 school year. Not too sure about the LOR's but I think I read somewhere that you can mail them in as long as then are in a sealed envelope. Not too sure about that though. I am going to schedule an advising appointment tomorrow so hopefully I can ask and I'll let you know.

Are you from the area?

Does anyone know why A&M (Tech and UT also) has a declining trend in PCAT scores in recent years? From their website, 2009 accepted avg PCAT score dropped to low 70 (71 I think) from high 70 in previous years. (2010 was 73)

Any chance the scores might go up again?

I spoke to people from all three schools, A&M, Tech and UT and was encouraged to apply with my PCAT score, 69, since it is a competitive score with a decent GPA. But I'm thinking that's b/c recent avg scores have been in the low 70's for recent years.

If anyone can clarify I would appreciate it.

A friend of mine told me that Pearsons made the test harder a few years ago because many people were making high score. So in order to accommodate for this, A&M lowered their minimum PCAT score. Not sure how true that is but thats what I was told. :)

Last edited:
A friend of mine told me that Pearsons made the test harder a few years ago because many people were making high score. So in order to accommodate for this, A&M lowered their minimum PCAT score. Not sure how true that is but thats what I was told. :)

I was told the same thing by one of our Deans.

Status
Not open for further replies.