Texas A&M Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's absolutely awesome!!! Congrats! I'm so happy for you!

Thanks!!! I'm happy I got in somewhere haha. Did you interview with Kingsville yet? If so, how'd it go?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptance, guess u can change NervousForSure..lol...Sam what is your preference being my fellow aggie.

No, not yet. My interview is this Thursday. I actually just booked my hotel today!:)

Good luck! I'm sure you've heard it elsewhere, but the interviews can be very casual and laid back (at least, mine was). Be sure to prepare for the questions that you know will give YOU the most trouble, since no one knows you better than yourself, and you'll be good to go :cool:

YAY! Congrats SampleSam and NervousforSure!!! I know you guys have been waiting! That's so exciting!!! See you guys in August!! :)

Good luck Velvet!!! You'll do great! Just be yourself. They are just trying to get to know you! :thumbup: Maybe I'll see you around.

NervousforSure, I know people rent houses, but I do not. I'm not sure on pricing, etc. I will let someone that better knows answer that. :thumbup: Btw, maybe you need to change your screen name now? haha maybe not? lol

Does anyone rent a house out there? If so, how much?

Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about how much house rents cost nor how you can find out about them. But, I do know a good number of students in my class who rent houses, so people certainly do find houses in Kingsville to rent. Generally they've been pretty small and humble houses on the older side of the scale, but several of them have been renovated to look clean and well-kept. It varies in quality; just don't expect anything too fancy.

--Garfield3d

I received my admissions packet today but I'm not sure what I should be checking on the student privacy notice. I'm confused on which one to pick hahaha what did yall select?

Dr roberson left me a voicemail but im in class so I havent had the time to give him a proper call back

OMG!! I got accepted too!!! I received a call from Dr Roberson this morning!
I thought I was rejected and I actually started on my plan B :(

OMG!! I got accepted too!!! I received a call from Dr Roberson this morning!
I thought I was rejected and I actually started on my plan B :(

We told you not to assume!!! lol Congrats!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I painfully sent in my response declining the acceptance to Texas A&M. I got into my first choice school.

To everyone still waiting, my spot just opened so don't be worried.

You might get that call you've been waiting for!!

Good luck to the Texas A&M SOP Class of 2015!!

Anybody know how long do I have before I have to make a decision?

I got into an out of state school UCD, and I'm also waiting on UT for this Friday.

I'd like to have this weekend to mull over my options...

I had to send all my paperwork BY next Tuesday. Not postmarked, it had to be in the office by that day. They called me on Friday.

I have to sent everything by next Tuesday, March 31st too. It will be late if you wait until Friday <unless you drive over there and hand the paperwork in person>

Just filled out FAFSA. Hope I did it right. If I didn't, will they let me know?

just got a Call from Dr Robertson ,he offered me a seat....now i got a decision on my hands...could anyone tell me the pros if i do decide to go to A&M?

I would like some info on how rotations work..i heard that you have to drive like 2 hours at times on friday to go to a site.

also housing, could anyone provide me with some info on that?

I think A&M's tuition is significant cheaper (around 7k). Texas Tech's tuition is 11k and UH is 14k for one school year.

I think A&M's tuition is significant cheaper (around 7k). Texas Tech's tuition is 11k and UH is 14k for one school year.

yeah i heard about that... the reason y i am confused is coz i am from dallas...currently i have only got an admission from OU which is 3 hours away but out of state tuition is a killer and kingsville is like 8 hours away....

the other major concern that i have is , when i went for the interview..one of the students told me they go for rotations on fridays usually . these rotation sites are at times as far as 2 hrs away or i think 2 hrs total back and forth..and i dont know if want to do that since we are going through so much work in school itself... It would be cool if there were more people going to the same site....

also housing...that is a major question for me.

Kingsville is 8 hours away but you rent a room or apt there. I dont think it's a major concern.

About rotation site 2 hours away, I think we were in the same group of interview because I remember I heard that too. But I dont think it will happen to anybody and with the difference in tuition, I still rather drive 2 hours every Friday.

congrats to all that just got in!!!

I am still keeping my fingers crossed :xf:. Any suggestions on a plan B?

congrats to all that just got in!!!

I am still keeping my fingers crossed :xf:. Any suggestions on a plan B?

Don't give up. You never know if you will receive a call. I had already started on my backup plan and passed the CPhT few days ago, before I got acceptance offer. I think it's important to get more pharmacy experience.

Anyone know if you are required to have a laptop? Do I need to buy one since I already have a high-end desktop? <it would be great if the laptop is not mandatory :laugh:>
Besides, when is the orientation? I am thinking about taking a vacation right after this semester ends.

Don't give up. You never know if you will receive a call. I had already started on my backup plan and passed the CPhT few days ago, before I got acceptance offer. I think it's important to get more pharmacy experience.

Anyone know if you are required to have a laptop? Do I need to buy one since I already have a high-end desktop? <it would be great if the laptop is not mandatory :laugh:>
Besides, when is the orientation? I am thinking about taking a vacation right after this semester ends.

You are required to have a laptop. We have some in class quizzes on blackboard and some tests on blackboard. They will recommend a computer. I did not buy it (I have a Mac) and am glad I did not.

We had "pre-orientation" in mid June. It was basically to meet people and to get paperwork we had to do, etc. Then we had orientation the Thursday and Friday before school started while the P2s and P3s were taking benchmarks.

How much financial aid the school will give you in average? I know that all the grad students are independent and don't make enough money :p

just got a Call from Dr Robertson ,he offered me a seat....now i got a decision on my hands...could anyone tell me the pros if i do decide to go to A&M?

I would like some info on how rotations work..i heard that you have to drive like 2 hours at times on friday to go to a site.

also housing, could anyone provide me with some info on that?

There are many pros to coming to A&M. If you read up to earlier in this thread many of us have posted things we like about the school. The professors here are awesome and extremely available for help. One thing that I think is really good about our school is that we are in an under-served part of Texas. The patients here REALLY appreciate the time you take to explain to them the risks of not taking care of their diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. I've been told by a patient before that this school is the best thing that has happened to this area in a LONG time. I feel like we are really needed here.

Yes, on Fridays as P2s you ***MAY*** have to drive 2 hours to rotation sites. MAX is 2 hours. You get to put in your preferences with them on cities to be in Spring of your P1 year. You could, if you wanted, put a city that is say 1 hour closer to your home or whatever and go home to visit family on the weekend. One good thing about doing this during the school year is you are not REQUIRED to do rotations during the summer. People typically get internships over the summers (a lot of the times in their home cities). The "2 hour drive" on Friday isn't as bad as it sounds. I will be a P2 next year, so maybe someone who has gone through it can weigh in.... :)

As far as housing goes, what are you concerned about? I'm not really sure what you're asking...what kind of places are available?? I hope you chose our school. I really like it here, the people are awesome (students, staff and faculty). I hope this helps even a little bit. lol :thumbup:

How much financial aid the school will give you in average? I know that all the grad students are independent and don't make enough money :p

It really depends on your situation. When I applied for financial aid last year I wasn't married and got a good amount offered to me and I did not take it all. I am curious to see how it plays out this year since I got married right before school started and now my husband's income in weighed in there.

good idea, any pharmtech books you reccomend by chance.

loosing hope daily...:(

Don't lose hope! I know there were a couple people in my class that didn't know they were accepted until July! You never know!! Also, I didn't get in when I first applied, I just improved my application and tried again and got in! If it's your dream, don't give up, for sure! One year time is NOT that much. Hang in there!

I was a pharm tech, but I had books from my employer, I'm not sure of any in particular, I'm sorry. Best of luck to you!

This is the book that I used:
http://www.amazon.com/Mosbys-Pharma...2041/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300927331&sr=8-1

To me, it's actually a good book. I never took any pharm tech classes, just studied at home and I passed the first time <it took time though>. It covers a lot of material and drug names, classification. The book has 5 practice exams and the CD comes with it has flash cards and more practice exams.

There are many pros to coming to A&M. If you read up to earlier in this thread many of us have posted things we like about the school. The professors here are awesome and extremely available for help. One thing that I think is really good about our school is that we are in an under-served part of Texas. The patients here REALLY appreciate the time you take to explain to them the risks of not taking care of their diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. I've been told by a patient before that this school is the best thing that has happened to this area in a LONG time. I feel like we are really needed here.

Yes, on Fridays as P2s you ***MAY*** have to drive 2 hours to rotation sites. MAX is 2 hours. You get to put in your preferences with them on cities to be in Spring of your P1 year. You could, if you wanted, put a city that is say 1 hour closer to your home or whatever and go home to visit family on the weekend. One good thing about doing this during the school year is you are not REQUIRED to do rotations during the summer. People typically get internships over the summers (a lot of the times in their home cities). The "2 hour drive" on Friday isn't as bad as it sounds. I will be a P2 next year, so maybe someone who has gone through it can weigh in.... :)

As far as housing goes, what are you concerned about? I'm not really sure what you're asking...what kind of places are available?? I hope you chose our school. I really like it here, the people are awesome (students, staff and faculty). I hope this helps even a little bit. lol :thumbup:

so what about rotations as p1 ? do p1's have rotations too ? is it a local pharmacy or a hospital ?

as far as housing, do most people live in apartments or the dorms ? what are these apartments or dorms like ? , are furnished etc
also if i do choose dorms are there single rooms available?
i remember some people lived in Corpus Christi, which is not something i would want to do, to be very honest.

so what about rotations as p1 ? do p1's have rotations too ? is it a local pharmacy or a hospital ?

as far as housing, do most people live in apartments or the dorms ? what are these apartments or dorms like ? , are furnished etc
also if i do choose dorms are there single rooms available?
i remember some people lived in Corpus Christi, which is not something i would want to do, to be very honest.

P1 rotations: No -- (P2's do one semester retail, the other semester hospital)
Housing: I would say good majority is apartments. Javelina Station is the only furnished apartments (I THINK.) They only have 2 or 4 bedrooms.
Dorms: I don't think there are singles.

Anybody thinks about creating a facebook page for class 2015? So we know who actually accept the offer?

Just got back from Kingsville and I think my interview went pretty good. Now the wait begins! Dr. Robertson told us if we are accepted, that he will personally be calling us.

It looks like there were about a 20 of us there for an interview. The only thing I was disappointed with was no tour of the building was given. Someone said that classes were in session and so we wouldn't be getting one. I was looking forward to a tour. But from what I did see, the pharmacy building is beautiful!

Hey velvet congrats on your interview, did they sound hopeful of more acceptances to come ? Lol bec iam still hoping for a miracle.:xf:

Hey velvet congrats on your interview, did they sound hopeful of more acceptances to come ? Lol bec iam still hoping for a miracle.:xf:

Yes, they did sound very hopeful. They said there are still seats available but they didn't state how many.

Just got back from Kingsville and I think my interview went pretty good. Now the wait begins! Dr. Robertson told us if we are accepted, that he will personally be calling us.

It looks like there were about a 20 of us there for an interview. The only thing I was disappointed with was no tour of the building was given. Someone said that classes were in session and so we wouldn't be getting one. I was looking forward to a tour. But from what I did see, the pharmacy building is beautiful!

Yay!!!! I'm sure you did great. Maybe we will be classmates =) I see more acceptances coming your way.

I hope you enjoyed it! Sorry about the no tour, but yes, classes were in session. P1s and P2s have lecture rooms on one side of the building on the first floor and P3s have it on the other side on the first floor. You wouldn't have been able to see our rooms. :( The 2nd floor has a couple labs and offices (and the library and fish bowl you probably saw) Then the 3rd floor is ALL offices and labs for the professors. That's about it. :) Hoping you get in! :thumbup:

I guess you got an earlier time, because I definitely saw a group of prospective P1s come into our room while I was eating lunch. We were told before that if y'all wanted a tour and it was after our classes were over, we could offer them, so you probably could've gotten some more out of it if you stayed a bit longer.

Our building is the newest in the state, so of course it's beautiful ;D

So the acceptance letter says that I have to maintain my pre-pharmacy GPA. However, I don't know how they calculate it. Does anyone know? Should I e-mail Dr. Robertson and ask? I hope it is only my pre-pharmacy coursework because right now I am really worried about a writing component class I'm taking.

So the acceptance letter says that I have to maintain my pre-pharmacy GPA. However, I don't know how they calculate it. Does anyone know? Should I e-mail Dr. Robertson and ask? I hope it is only my pre-pharmacy coursework because right now I am really worried about a writing component class I'm taking.

I'm pretty sure it would just be your pre-pharmacy work...the required classes to get in here. You can call the admissions office in general, I'm sure any of the ladies in there would be able to answer that. :)

what it means is that... the classes IF u missing any finish with a at least a "C".

I'm missing bio lab which I'm taking right now. It says on there "your admission is contingent upon (1) maintaining or improving your present grade point average in the pre-pharmacy course requirements and (2) successfully completing all necessary pre-pharmacy coursework with a grade of "C" or better before the beginning of classes in the fall."

I was just curious to know how they calculated GPA so I could determine whether or not I needed to make an A in the lab or if I could make a B and still be okay.

I'm missing bio lab which I'm taking right now. It says on there "your admission is contingent upon (1) maintaining or improving your present grade point average in the pre-pharmacy course requirements and (2) successfully completing all necessary pre-pharmacy coursework with a grade of "C" or better before the beginning of classes in the fall."

I was just curious to know how they calculated GPA so I could determine whether or not I needed to make an A in the lab or if I could make a B and still be okay.

I think as long as it's a C and your gpa isn't close to 2.75 then I think you'll be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.