Texas A&M Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvet75

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I was all ready for the application to be available for download today. Went to their website only to find that it's not available till October 15. Bummer... have to wait two more weeks. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I was all ready for the application to be available for download today. Went to their website only to find that it's not available till October 15. Bummer... have to wait two more weeks. :(

Yea, same here..i wonder whats going on with them. It was originally supposed to be open on Sept 15 and then they pushed it back to Sept 30. Now they're saying Oct 15.

Yea, same here..i wonder whats going on with them. It was originally supposed to be open on Sept 15 and then they pushed it back to Sept 30. Now they're saying Oct 15.

I checked with Dr. Robertson and the reason for the delay is due to getting the application and fee online. The whole application (minus the letters of recommendation, I think) should be able to be done online to cut down on paper and mailing. The whole process will be a little smoother. I commented on this process on the other A&M thread. I hope this clarifies a few things. Also there were staff training meetings to get them familiar with the online application so things will hopefully run a little easier for you all. Again hope this helps and good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked with Dr. Robertson and the reason for the delay is due to getting the application and fee online. The whole application (minus the letters of recommendation, I think) should be able to be done online to cut down on paper and mailing. The whole process will be a little smoother. I commented on this process on the other A&M thread. I hope this clarifies a few things. Also there were staff training meetings to get them familiar with the online application so things will hopefully run a little easier for you all. Again hope this helps and good luck!!!

Thanks for letting us know!:)

I'm excited the application window is about to open. So far, there's at least 2 SDN'ers applying. You guys have my vote. :laugh:

I'm excited too but I'm having a hard time of getting a hold of one more professor to ask him for a LOR. I already have an okay from one professor. Yet, the second professor that always writes LORs for me passed away so I've been having to scramble around in search of another one. Its kind of difficult since I've been out of school for 2 years already.

Do you have another professor that knew you well enough to remember you?

Yes, I do but I have not been able to get a hold of them. I actually had the cell phone number of one of them but I deleted it!:( I don't know why I did that. It's extremely difficult to get to the school to talk them since I work full time and their offices close by the time I get out of work. But I'm not giving up. I will find a way to talk to them.

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I will be applying soon. A&M Kingsville isn't rolling admissions right?

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I will be applying soon. A&M Kingsville isn't rolling admissions right?

Right. Once the application window closes, they'll make their decision regarding interview invites. After the interviews are all finished, they'll decide on acceptances.

Historically, acceptances have been mailed out and emailed. I got mine on April 2nd last year, but it was around the 7th the years before.

Like donkey pointed out, the process has changed a little this year, so I don't know if these numbers will hold true this year.

Well, it looks like the LOR forms are available to be printed. I don't remember them being available last week. Just printed them out and now just eagerly awaiting for the availability of the application this Friday!

Does anyone know if you're exempt from the government and history classes if you already have a Bachelors degree? (I know UH has this policy).

Also, can the evaluators send in my LORs way in advance before I ever send in my application?

Your best bet is to call the school to find out for sure, but based on what's on the website, I don't believe you can omit pre-reqs.

TAMHSC Website said:
Applicants who have earned coursework five or more calendar years prior to applying to the College of Pharmacy, but who have not earned a bachelor's degree, must retake the prerequisites to be considered for admission.

It sounds like you just get a timeline benefit from having a bachelors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if a LOR from a Laboratory Manager at a college would count as a LOR from a college professor? She was the one who actually taught all the laboratory courses I took at my last college but her title is listed as Laboratory Manager on the school's website.

Does anybody know if a LOR from a Laboratory Manager at a college would count as a LOR from a college professor? She was the one who actually taught all the laboratory courses I took at my last college but her title is listed as Laboratory Manager on the school's website.

Does she teach other classes at all? Does she have a Ph.D.?

------

Didn't want to double post...

And to all other potential '15ers, on the fence about applying here... there's some connotation for a school to be out in the rural parts (i.e. they're not good as the bigger schools, or schools in more populated areas). Don't shoot those schools down because of those connotations. They may bring opportunities you've not thought of. They might even inspire you to stay and help the locals.

Keep an open mind. Sure, Kingsville is no Houston, nor is it Corpus Christi, but for a small town, it actually has a lot of things one could need. Hell, driving from Houston or CC, you pass even smaller towns (pops in the single-digit thousands or less), and you can think to yourself, man, what if they opened a pharmacy school here? (Sure, pop would go up, but when there's no supermarket or Wal-mart around for miles, you're bound to go nuts.)

Last edited:
I've always lived and gone to school in big cities (Houston/Austin) but the idea of going to school in a smaller town is kinda appealing to me.

Looks like the online app just went up. This must be the shortest school application I've ever seen! Maybe I just skimmed it too fast, but I don't see any mention of an essay or personal statement requirement.

Would this be where the personal statement goes?

Describe any special circumstances that might aid the Admissions Committee in considering your application:

That's how I treated it last year. When I called and asked at that time, I was told that if I have any blips on my record (F's, withdrawals, etc), this would be a good place to explain it.

The application is pretty short. I remember stressing out until I downloaded it. A&M supposedly has a much more relaxed application process than most other schools in the state. I enjoyed my interview day thoroughly, for example, because they did their best to make us feel comfortable.

Wonder if the fishbowl will be up and running by interviews in the spring...

So just to clarify, we don't write a personal statement in that section for special circumstances, right? So no essays at all.

I called the school and they said I am exempt from the history and gov't classes with a Bachelors. Hooray. I was afraid I would have to squeeze in 3 extra classes sometime next year.

She teaches the majority of the labs in the CLS program that I completed. And believe me there were a lot of labs that would last hours. She does not have a PhD but I know she has a bachelor's and I believe a masters.

She teaches the majority of the labs in the CLS program that I completed. And believe me there were a lot of labs that would last hours. She does not have a PhD but I know she has a bachelor's and I believe a masters.

I had a lab instructor write one of my letters and she had a bachelor's and a master's. Basically it comes down to:
1. Does the person writing the letter know you well enough to write a non-generic letter?
2. Have you stood out in the class not in a brown nosing, "I just want a letter" kind of way (yes they can sense that)?
3. Do you talk with this person outside of class both about the course and life in general?

There are other factors that you could consider. However, if you think this person would be able to write a quality letter for you than do it. My lab instructor was just that type of person. I think my lab instructor probably wrote the best letter of the three. It is all up to you.

I had a lab instructor write one of my letters and she had a bachelor's and a master's. Basically it comes down to:
1. Does the person writing the letter know you well enough to write a non-generic letter?
2. Have you stood out in the class not in a brown nosing, "I just want a letter" kind of way (yes they can sense that)?
3. Do you talk with this person outside of class both about the course and life in general?

There are other factors that you could consider. However, if you think this person would be able to write a quality letter for you than do it. My lab instructor was just that type of person. I think my lab instructor probably wrote the best letter of the three. It is all up to you.

Thanks for the info! I will take your points into consideration and decide soon if I should ask her.

I did use it as a place for a personal statement, but I don't know if that's the norm or not. Wish I could be more helpful. :oops:

I was told generally (before getting in, so don't take my word for it here) that you should push as much information as you could that could boost your potential of getting in. If there are circumstances that you think could help you or if there is information you think would help, put it in.

For the record, I'm jealous that y'all have an online application. Though, during the application process, I found TAMHSC's easiest to follow. (UT... what on earth...)

Woohoo! Finally got ahold of another professor to write a LOR for me. Oh, happy day!

I'm applying to Texas A&M too, and no I dont care about rural area or not. I've lived in a much smaller town before and still survived.
I'm so surprised of how short the application is.
I'm also having problem getting one of my prof sending LOR early cuz he's really busy. I don't want to be rude and keep bugging him all the time :/
Good luck to y'all

I'm applying to Texas A&M too, and no I dont care about rural area or not. I've lived in a much smaller town before and still survived.
I'm so surprised of how short the application is.
I'm also having problem getting one of my prof sending LOR early cuz he's really busy. I don't want to be rude and keep bugging him all the time :/
Good luck to y'all

Yeah, it's really not that bad here. I found the area appealing for my studies when I first applied, but I was still afraid that I might not be able to adapt (lived in the big city my entire life). Here I am now past the half-way point of my first semester and I can't remember why I liked the big city at all. There's no traffic (besides this stupid train in the afternoon...), everything's close together (Besides having to go to some sites outside Kingsville for IPPE's, I only have to fill up maybe about once or twice), and if you eat out, the staff will get to know you pretty quick (something I've never found in restaurants in Houston...).

The application is short, and frankly, I'm jealous that y'all have an online application this year. Last year, I almost didn't submit everything in time because the "Recommendation" form was in a separate link from the application and I didn't realize until I was notified by email I needed to send that in... >< Moral of the story is to submit everything early so those in charge of your file can help you get everything in order before the deadline.

Regarding your LoR, you don't want to be rude, but if you were close with the person writing your LoR, I don't think it'd be a problem. You don't want to be pushy, but you need to reiterate that it is time-sensitive. It is possible that whoever is in charge of writing your LoR has forgotten (speaking from experience). If you are afraid of coming off as rude, just remark on the progress of your application. Hopefully, he/she will remember about it or remark on the progress of your LoR.

As it was said in one of the forum courses, your LoR means more if it hasn't been read (should be self-explanatory). The lady who spoke about it said that if the student did NOT waive rights to view the letter, then she'd throw it out. Do not make that mistake!

The sections for this application is so weird. I'm not sure how detailed I need to go into each question they ask or if there is a limit to how many characters I need to use. Overall, the application IS short.

So for the LOR you should be checking the I waive my rights etc etc right? That's what I put.

The sections for this application is so weird. I'm not sure how detailed I need to go into each question they ask or if there is a limit to how many characters I need to use. Overall, the application IS short.

So for the LOR you should be checking the I waive my rights etc etc right? That's what I put.

Which question in particular are you unsure about?

As for the LoR, yes, waive your rights to view it. Make sure there's no reason your evaluator will write anything bad about you in the LoR ;D

^^ Question #22. Do we have to write something specific there?

A&M Application said:
22. Describe any special circumstances that might aid the Admissions Committee in considering your application:

This is where I inserted a personal statement, explaining a few odd marks on my transcripts, time in the Navy helping me to mature, etc.

Good luck to all the potential 2015-ers! I know you will love the school! The interview day was by far the most pleasant one that I experienced last year.
:thumbup:

Always keep up hope! I didn't get an initial letter of acceptance, but soon thereafter Dr. Robertson personally called me and offered me a spot. A&M doesn't reject anyone that got an interview. They continue accepting people off the waiting list. :)

Fun fact: while looking that up, I do believe I just created a new file in the admissions office. Hmm... to do P1 year all over again...

I think I did that too! I went to try to look at the application and BAM new file created!! Not P1 year 2 years in a row!!!! Don't wish that on us, Pharm B!! :)

Fun fact: while looking that up, I do believe I just created a new file in the admissions office. Hmm... to do P1 year all over again...

Haha, well, at least you'll not be suffering P2 year as soon :p

Good luck to all the potential 2015-ers! I know you will love the school! The interview day was by far the most pleasant one that I experienced last year.
:thumbup:

Yeah, the interview was very well organized. Though, this also means you have less time to speak during the personal interview portion. When they say you have 30 minutes, you have 30 minutes. No extensions. They knock five minutes before the end of it, so you should be prepared for that. I was caught off-guard and I started speaking faster and blanked for those last five, haha...

Last edited:
Yeah, it's really not that bad here. I found the area appealing for my studies when I first applied, but I was still afraid that I might not be able to adapt (lived in the big city my entire life). Here I am now past the half-way point of my first semester and I can't remember why I liked the big city at all. There's no traffic (besides this stupid train in the afternoon...), everything's close together (Besides having to go to some sites outside Kingsville for IPPE's, I only have to fill up maybe about once or twice), and if you eat out, the staff will get to know you pretty quick (something I've never found in restaurants in Houston...).

The application is short, and frankly, I'm jealous that y'all have an online application this year. Last year, I almost didn't submit everything in time because the "Recommendation" form was in a separate link from the application and I didn't realize until I was notified by email I needed to send that in... >< Moral of the story is to submit everything early so those in charge of your file can help you get everything in order before the deadline.

Regarding your LoR, you don't want to be rude, but if you were close with the person writing your LoR, I don't think it'd be a problem. You don't want to be pushy, but you need to reiterate that it is time-sensitive. It is possible that whoever is in charge of writing your LoR has forgotten (speaking from experience). If you are afraid of coming off as rude, just remark on the progress of your application. Hopefully, he/she will remember about it or remark on the progress of your LoR.

As it was said in one of the forum courses, your LoR means more if it hasn't been read (should be self-explanatory). The lady who spoke about it said that if the student did NOT waive rights to view the letter, then she'd throw it out. Do not make that mistake!

That sounds nice. Living in Houston so long, I get annoyed at traffic and long line of waiting everywhere. But I think I can adapt to Kingville alright.
Both of my prof were happy to see me. One remembers me and did the LOR for like 3 days and sent it out. The other one remembers my face, but got me mixed up a bit. He hasn't written anything yet. And yeah, I really don't want to come out bugging him too much.

By the way, how is PCAT important to A&M application? I changed my mind so fast, I had only less than 2 months to prep. I'm not sure how the score is gonna turn out. I know the average is around 71-75, but that's average. How low could it go among ur classmates previously accepted?

And as for the essay portion, PharmB, how long did u have to write? 300 words? 500 words?

I can only get one letter of recommendation from 1 professor. Are they really that strict to have 2 letters from professors?

That sounds nice. Living in Houston so long, I get annoyed at traffic and long line of waiting everywhere. But I think I can adapt to Kingville alright.
Both of my prof were happy to see me. One remembers me and did the LOR for like 3 days and sent it out. The other one remembers my face, but got me mixed up a bit. He hasn't written anything yet. And yeah, I really don't want to come out bugging him too much.

By the way, how is PCAT important to A&M application? I changed my mind so fast, I had only less than 2 months to prep. I'm not sure how the score is gonna turn out. I know the average is around 71-75, but that's average. How low could it go among ur classmates previously accepted?

Another Houstonian! :D

It got annoying when we went to Corpus last night and traffic wasn't even as bad as Houston... Ugh... I'm not sure I want to go back, lol.

You don't want to BOTHER him, but you need to bug him. If he completely forgets and you don't have a LoR from him on time, all your effort on the application is for naught. If you can't bring yourself to do even that, then try to find an alternate professor.

@Oncophage: Fairly important. Even though the pre-pharmacy program is a matter of 2-3 years on average and some (read: about 50% of the P1 class) have a 4 year B.S., They kind of expect that you are personable and impressionable on your professors within that short time. We want impressive applicants, after all. If you want LoR's from more than one "other", feel free to do it, ONLY if you think it will help your application. Just don't overdo it. One extra recommendation shouldn't hurt much, but if you send six recommendations, they might not even bother reading them.

Am I blind? I didn't see an essay portion on the application *shrugs* Uh oh.....

And as for the essay portion, PharmB, how long did u have to write? 300 words? 500 words?

Yes, there is no traffic in Kingsville. Nice change from Houston traffic, but I do miss having everything (i.e. Target, etc, although Corpus isn't far). It is VERY conducive for studying, though!

I would definitely get on that prof about that letter. The first year I applied (I got accepted the 2nd year I applied) the teacher didn't get the letter in on time and the school (not A&M, but I would imagine it would be the same) wouldn't even review my application. I'd say letters are pretty important because they don't know you and want to hear from people that do.

I'd say PCAT is important, but not the end all be all. I did HORRIBLE on PCAT and the rest of my parts made up for it. Interview is by far the most important part (but you do have to get one first). GPA (a degree especially), letters and other things on your application can really make up for the PCAT. I'm not sure of our low. My class (2014) has the highest PCAT and GPAs thusfar. I'd imagine it would get more competitive every year, especially since we are officially accredited now. :thumbup:

Guess I should pay attention in Physiology class now so I don't end up joining the class of 2015 too. lol. :eek: :sleep:

As far as how important various factors are, you should go dig through the Texas A&M thread from last year. I don't remember the exact point breakdown any more, but they told us on interview day exactly how much each item mattered: PCAT was so many points, GPA was so many points, interview score, etc.

As far as how important various factors are, you should go dig through the Texas A&M thread from last year. I don't remember the exact point breakdown any more, but they told us on interview day exactly how much each item mattered: PCAT was so many points, GPA was so many points, interview score, etc.

Pooooosted for your convenience~

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9340568&postcount=404

:D

Some impressions on the interview were posted in the page before, so be sure to check on that as well!

Is the 2.75 minimum GPA for overall, science/math, pre-reqs, or all of the above?

Thanks guys! I'll look for more old threads!
Good luck with the rest of the semester. Don't fail!

Thanks guys! I'll look for more old threads!
Good luck with the rest of the semester. Don't fail!

:thumbup: Thanks! *should be studying for physio rather than be on here* :eek: (can't help it, we have 2 tests EVERY week, to give you 2015ers something to look forward to :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.