Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Considering we're technically under the HSC, is printing for us actually covered at Jernigan or the BA building? Or do we pay by page?

How many pages are allotted to us per semester at the CoP?

The Business building and Jernigan library don't track the number of pages that you print, nor do they require any login, so you essentially have an unlimited cap on the pages that you can print at those locations during the course of the year. So, the main incentive for printing at the Business building or Jernigan library is that you don't have a printing cap. The only real deterrent from printing at those locations is that they can be busy at times and their printers are pretty slow.

On the other hand, you're allotted a certain amount of free pages at the Pharmacy building (I think you're originally given $20 to a printing account, and each black & white page is $0.06, and each color page is $0.12). Afterwards, you need to put money into your printing account in order to print more pages.

--Garfield3d

Members don't see this ad.

hello, I just joined the 2014 class. Great to be here..:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
hello, I just joined the 2014 class. Great to be here..:xf:

Hey there. Glad to have you aboard. I'm a current P3 student at Texas A&M, so feel free to ask any questions that may be on your mind. Some of the others occasionally visit the thread too. Chances are, though, that a lot of yur questions may have been already answered in this thread (and possibly several times over), so you might be able to find a lot of information in the earlier pages of this thread.

--Garfield3d

Here's a question regarding UINs.

I just got my UIN in the mail (Well, I should have gotten it earlier, but seeing as I was out of town for the pre-orientation for a few days), and it instructs me to go to the http://gateway.tamu.edu site to activate my accounts for NEO/NETID. However, when I go there and enter my UIN/DoB, it says "No Account was Found." Am I supposed to wait? Or is this something isolated to me? I remember hearing a few people getting their UINs right before the pre-orientation on Friday, so I wanted to see if others were having the same issue or not.

Edit: I called the office earlier today (7 Jun @9:30) and they say it has to do with the residency checks (basically, not everything on the application process over there is finished), so I need to wait a while before trying again.

Last edited:
Hey there. Glad to have you aboard. I'm a current P3 student at Texas A&M, so feel free to ask any questions that may be on your mind. Some of the others occasionally visit the thread too. Chances are, though, that a lot of yur questions may have been already answered in this thread (and possibly several times over), so you might be able to find a lot of information in the earlier pages of this thread.

--Garfield3d
Thanks Garfield. I guess a lot has been answered. However, the housing options seem pretty slim. Do you think there are other options that have not been talked about? I mean non Javelina :D. Sorry if i am being repetitive, but I am joining this conversation late.

There are a few other options that are quite close. Just on Santa Gert (crosses through TAMUK), and also next to Javalina there's another apartment complex. If you went to the pre-orientation, there was a sheet with all the contact information of a few selected apartments in the area.

If you don't have that sheet, I'll post it later.

Additionally, there's the student dormitories at TAMUK. They just built the University Village last year. It's pretty nice. Probably the closest to apartment living as far as dormitories go, but it's about $4k per semester with meal plan. If you don't mind communal bathrooms, there's Bishop and Turner (Female and Male dorms, respectively). They're close to $3k with meal plan. From what I hear, Lewis Hall is more popular with grad students/pharmacy students as far as dormitories go since it has a 24 hr quiet policy. It's also suite style, so it's two rooms to a bathroom, but you have a room to yourself. It's $2k, but you're not required to have a meal plan for that.

Here's a question regarding UINs.

I just got my UIN in the mail (Well, I should have gotten it earlier, but seeing as I was out of town for the pre-orientation for a few days), and it instructs me to go to the http://gateway.tamu.edu site to activate my accounts for NEO/NETID. However, when I go there and enter my UIN/DoB, it says "No Account was Found." Am I supposed to wait? Or is this something isolated to me? I remember hearing a few people getting their UINs right before the pre-orientation on Friday, so I wanted to see if others were having the same issue or not.

It might be that the UIN will not work until you are actually registered for classes. I know that it the case with the pharmacy email accounts. Plus I am not sure you really need to do much with the UIN for now as there are still a few months until classes start. Just be patient and enjoy the summer for now because once August rolls around.....:eek:

Thanks Garfield. I guess a lot has been answered. However, the housing options seem pretty slim. Do you think there are other options that have not been talked about? I mean non Javelina :D. Sorry if i am being repetitive, but I am joining this conversation late.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's much to update that hasn't already been covered earlier in the thread (and several times over). Syunfung has a pretty good summary of the on-campus situation, and hopefully he posts the sheet information for you since I don't have that.

Ultimately, you'll have to determine whether you want a furnished or unfurnished location. If you want a furnished location, then your only options are going to be Javelina Station or the on-campus dormitories. As Syunfung noted, University Village is the newest place. Don't get it confused with University Squares, which is an old and cheap apartment next to campus.

Javelina Station itself is about $580 a month (which "includes" electricity, up to a certain point), and while it is a relatively new property (less than a decade old), it can be hit-and-miss in several aspects. Occasionally, it can be a bit loud with people either partying or blaring music in the parking lot. The internet connection is much better than what it was in the past, but it still isn't amazingly fast. Cable is provided, though you'll have to bring your own TV, and the picture quality likes to degrade at sporadic moments (I found it particularly convenient when it spazzed out during an episode of 24 this year, and when it came back, President Hassan was already dead). Javelina Station's primary advantages are the fact that it's furnished and it's a 10 minute walk from the Pharmacy building. However, Javelina Station's flaws are now particularly soured by its steadily increasing rent (which was $430 per month my first year and $480 my second year). At a price tag of $580 per month, you would expect Javelina Station to be some sort of paradise, but it's certainly not. Javelina Station should only appeal to people who truly want a furnished location or are supremely lazy and chronically late to class.

The remaining apartments, though varied, are all unfurnished. If you want to stay within walking distance of the Pharmacy building, then University Village (new place) or University Squares (old crappy place) would be your next best bet. Seville Apartments (a bit on the scrappy side) is still within 15 minutes of the Pharmacy building. The remaining apartments are going to require you to drive to campus.

Honestly, if you have a car, then it should be entirely practical to go for any of the unfurnished apartments. Many locations are within a 10 minute drive of campus, and while getting to campus early will get you a parking spot next to the Pharmacy building, you can always find parking on campus that is 2-3 minutes away from the building.

If you don't mind moving and buying some furniture, then the most economical option would be to pick an apartment and rent it out for 3 years. It will be much cheaper than staying at Javelina Station or the on-campus dormitories. Also, keep in mind that some rental properties have a waitlist for prospective tenants, so be sure to ask about how long the line is at each apartment that you're interested in.

Lastly, you could consider buying a house in Kingsville, but that might require a bit more research and investment than most students are willing to commit.

It might be that the UIN will not work until you are actually registered for classes. I know that it the case with the pharmacy email accounts. Plus I am not sure you really need to do much with the UIN for now as there are still a few months until classes start. Just be patient and enjoy the summer for now because once August rolls around.....:eek:

To add on to what Donkey mentioned:
There's not a whole lot that you do with your UIN. There may be a few forms at the beginning of the semester which require your UIN (so I usually keep the letter with my UIN in my backpack, since I can't remember the entire thing), but for the most part, you won't need to remember the entirety of your UIN. The most important thing that you need to know is the last 4 digits of your UIN. You'll need to fill in the last 4 digits of your UIN for every scan-tron test and quiz that you take. So, be sure to commit those last 4 numbers to memory.

--Garfield3d

Last edited:
Another thing I should mention is that the TAMUK dorms do not open until their semester starts. Although the dormitories open before then... our semester starts before the dorms open. Therefore, if you intend to live in the dorms, you'd have to pay $10 per day in advance after notifying them you need to move in early. Also, Lewis Hall already has a "wait-list" from what the TAMUK offices told me. For some reason, Lewis Hall's staff didn't mention it. If you're interested, apply at your own risk.

As for the Apartments, here they are. And as Garfield3d said, every complex other than Javelina Station is unfurnished. Also, there's one in Corpus Christi included in case students didn't want to live in Kingsville. If I miss anything, it just wasn't included in the list.

Apple Creek Apartments
2801 S Brahma Blvd
Kingsville, TX 78363
361-592-6943

Barcelona Apartments
833 E Ailsie
Kingsville, TX 78363
361-592-0880

Casa Del Ray Apartments
800 General Cavazos Blvd
Kingsville, TX 78363
361-595-1271

Corpus Christi Apartment Guide
4646 Corona #222
Corpus Christi, TX 78411
361-854-6773

Hawks Landing
2101 E Trant
Kingsville, TX 78363
361-592-8181

Seville Apartments
704 W Corral
Kingsville, TX 78363
361-592-7457

Javelina Station
1300 West Corral Street
Kingsville, TX 78363
361-221-9220
www.javelinastation.com

Arroyo Apartments
4000 South Brahma
Kingsville, TX 78363
1-800-264-8844 or 595-7905 (I'm guessing the area code is 361???)

Santa Gertrudis Apartments
1414 W Santa Gertrudis
Kingsville, TX 78363
361-592-2333

Colonial Arms Apartments

825 E Ailsie, #30
Kingsville, TX 78363
361-592-7755

Court of Las Palomas
600 E General Cavazos Blvd
Kingsville, TX 78363
361-516-0114

Hunter's Cove Family Housing
3400 S Brahma Blvd
Kingsville, TX 78363
361-592-8100

Kingsville Pointe Apartment
1201 E Caesar Drive
Kingsville, TX 78363
361-592-3707

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few other options that are quite close. Just on Santa Gert (crosses through TAMUK), and also next to Javalina there's another apartment complex. If you went to the pre-orientation, there was a sheet with all the contact information of a few selected apartments in the area.

If you don't have that sheet, I'll post it later.

Additionally, there's the student dormitories at TAMUK. They just built the University Village last year. It's pretty nice. Probably the closest to apartment living as far as dormitories go, but it's about $4k per semester with meal plan. If you don't mind communal bathrooms, there's Bishop and Turner (Female and Male dorms, respectively). They're close to $3k with meal plan. From what I hear, Lewis Hall is more popular with grad students/pharmacy students as far as dormitories go since it has a 24 hr quiet policy. It's also suite style, so it's two rooms to a bathroom, but you have a room to yourself. It's $2k, but you're not required to have a meal plan for that.

I was not at the pre-orientation. Could not make it with a days notice. Please post the list. Thanks.

Another thing I should mention is that the TAMUK dorms do not open until their semester starts. Although the dormitories open before then... our semester starts before the dorms open. Therefore, if you intend to live in the dorms, you'd have to pay $10 per day in advance after notifying them you need to move in early. Also, Lewis Hall already has a "wait-list" from what the TAMUK offices told me. For some reason, Lewis Hall's staff didn't mention it. If you're interested, apply at your own risk.

As for the Apartments, here they are. And as Garfield3d said, every complex other than Javelina Station is unfurnished. Also, there's one in Corpus Christi included in case students didn't want to live in Kingsville. If I miss anything, it just wasn't included in the list.

Absolutely exhaustive. Great.

So what's an average weekend like for most students?

Hey wong bong, this is stern, can you email me the final herpes zoster poster from p1 year. school email please.

kthanksbye

I was driving around the UIW campus the other day and got to see the Feik School of Pharmacy. Man, A&M got a way better architect. Feik looks like a meat processing plant.

Hrm! Well, that's nice to hear.

Unfortunately, I think San Antonio has a better civic engineer than Kingsville.

--Garfield3d

Hrm! Well, that's nice to hear.

Unfortunately, I think San Antonio has a better civic engineer than Kingsville.

--Garfield3d

Is that the only thing San Antonio has over Kingsville? Cause I have a list if you want me to share.

For any and all wondering the College is now officially accredited.

I was wondering....does anyone know where or how to get mental health insurance required by the school??? I have health insurance through my *soon to be* husband's work, but as far as we can tell, he can't get mental insurance for me. Help?? :confused:

I was wondering....does anyone know where or how to get mental health insurance required by the school??? I have health insurance through my *soon to be* husband's work, but as far as we can tell, he can't get mental insurance for me. Help??

I'm not sure. I also don't know if the VA counts for their purposes. I asked during the pre-orientation, but didn't get a solid answer. Good luck!

I hope Orientation answers a few more questions. The biggie right now for most of us is probably Financial Aid. :scared:

So everyone buying their books already? I don't know who's on here and on facebook, so I figured I'd ask here, too. ;)

I didn't buy most of the books that were listed as required. Off the top of my head, the book for Communications, Patient Care, and the Law book were absolutely needed because the professor (Dr. Stanberry) would pull things straight from the readings.

There might be some other classes that I'm missing, but those three stick out the most to me. Coincidentally, they're also all taught by Dr. Stanberry.

--Garfield3d

Hello! I got into the pharmacy program as well! Congrats to all!

Anyway I have a question on the immunization form. It says something about a full battery of tests; do we have to include a full lab report (blood chemistry/drug tests/etc.)?

Hello! I got into the pharmacy program as well! Congrats to all!

Anyway I have a question on the immunization form. It says something about a full battery of tests; do we have to include a full lab report (blood chemistry/drug tests/etc.)?
Nope. Just what's on the immunization form.

Thank you very much for the quick reply!
Another clarification, the meningitis vaccine is optional right? I'm already spending 100+ dollars on the second varicella shot; meningitis would be another 100+ dollars so I'd rather not spend it if i don't really have to.

Thank you very much for the quick reply!
Another clarification, the meningitis vaccine is optional right? I'm already spending 100+ dollars on the second varicella shot; meningitis would be another 100+ dollars so I'd rather not spend it if i don't really have to.
No. I believe you have to get it - that's why you signed a Bacterial Meningitis form. Read that form if you made a copy.

Also, most vaccinations can be gotten for free if your medical insurance covers one free physical per year.

I called and asked about the meningitis shot a week ago and I was told it wasn't required.

I don't have the meningitis vaccine, and I'm entering my 3rd year, so....

Actually, that's one thing that I've noticed in literally every college that I've ever been to. They all recommend and provide notice of the meningitis vaccine, and I think they might even be required to provide notice, (since the cramped quarters of a dorm and of a crowded classroom make it easier to spread, and because... well, it's pretty serious if you ever have meningitis), but very few places actually require a meningitis vaccine.

--Garfield3d

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU.................

Ah, w/e... it was free. And I'm not on Medicaid.

Called the TAMHSC school of rural public health out of curiosity today. I was trying to see if they had ever worked with a PharmD student to complete an MPH while in pharmacy school. She said they had just established an MD/MPH contact where med students get credit for their med classes (fewer credits needed for the MPH) and take a year off after third year to finish the MPH.

She said she's going to look into it for PharmD students and keep in touch. If this kind of program was offered, would anyone else be interested?

Called the TAMHSC school of rural public health out of curiosity today. I was trying to see if they had ever worked with a PharmD student to complete an MPH while in pharmacy school. She said they had just established an MD/MPH contact where med students get credit for their med classes (fewer credits needed for the MPH) and take a year off after third year to finish the MPH.

She said she's going to look into it for PharmD students and keep in touch. If this kind of program was offered, would anyone else be interested?
If it is another year more, sure I would.

Here's what's posted on the MD/MPH page at http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/admissions/md-mph.html

Medical students interested in the program are considered after successful completion of year two. The cooperative degree program adds an additional year of coursework to the traditional four-year College of Medicine plan, requiring a full year of M.P.H. studies between years two and three of medical school. Candidates for the combined degree must satisfy a number of prerequisites, one of which is to be in good academic standing at the College of Medicine. The dual degree program will also require students to complete a practicum as an elective credit for the College of Medicine and required credit for SRPH in year four of medical school.
Concentrations Offered:

• Epidemiology
  • Environmental and Occupational Health
  • Health Policy and Management
  • Social and Behavioral Health

Since the program looks like it requires no additional work prior to the concentration year, I wonder if we might be able to make this happen for our class or the ones after us. They would have at least a year to analyze the pharmacy curriculum and see how it could work.

I wonder if anyone else has asked about this.

Here's what's posted on the MD/MPH page at http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/admissions/md-mph.html

[/LIST]

Since the program looks like it requires no additional work prior to the concentration year, I wonder if we might be able to make this happen for our class or the ones after us. They would have at least a year to analyze the pharmacy curriculum and see how it could work.

Even if we get it going for next year's class, I'm sure we'd still have an option to join in. We're still fresh. I'm sure even c/o '13 would be able to if they wanted to... it's a tight squeeze, but it's possible.

Well, we won't know in what direction A&M leans their students in primarily. Retail for now, but hospital will be coming up shortly. We don't know if they will do research or management, but I feel that A&M HSC COP can be a great research-minded college.

If the college's mission involves serving the under-served area of South Texas, I don't think it'd be too far a stretch to ask for a program that allows us to graduate with an MPH in something like community medicine or similar.
Yeah, I guess... I'd like the option of health policy and management in there...

Yes me. I am trying to get my MPH concentration in Epidemiology through the School of Rural Public Health. I am finishing up three online classes now, not the easiest when the Pharmacy Benchmarks are next week. I have been working with Dr. Freeman (unfortunately he is not here anymore), Dr. Veronin and Dr. Bleidt at the Pharmacy School about completing the MPH. They are all pretty supportive. The reason I was told why there is not a dual degree PharmD/MPH program was due to potential accreditation problems, although I am not sure on which end. The good thing is the 5 or 6 "core" public health classes are available online and can be completed during pharmacy school. The remaining concentration courses need to be finished at the SRPH. My original plan was to to my 4th year there and take classes during rotations. However, with the number of rotations and talking with other P4's I do not think this would be possible. So I am hoping to find a job there (Scott and White or St. Joe's, yes hospitals!!!) and then complete the degree in a year. This is a non-thesis degree but there is a practicum to complete for the program. Also you will have to apply to the school through a process similar to PharmCAS. The program does accept the PCAT but the GRE is preferred. I am by no means an expert in the process but it is possible. In talking with Dr. Freeman he said there is a demand for biostatisticians and epidemiologists in industry, and at some places they are looking at a PharmD being up there with an MD (his opinion). I would like to do pharmacoepi at some point. Also others seemed to think that as more people go into residencies, a MPH, MBA, MHA, or other degree might help set you apart. Just a thought.

The nice part about the MD/MPH is that it looks the practicum is completed as part of your 4th year rotations. I really hope they can find a way to make it work within the confines of the PharmD program.

I guess the nice part about being a med student is you're already in College Station, so it's practical to attend the necessary classes at the SRPH. The person I spoke to said they have an alternative campus in McAllen, but it looks like if you wanted to finish your PharmD and then finish the MPH, you'd be required to pick up roots and resettle in a new area for as long as it takes to get the practicum finished.

Hi. I was recently accepted and wondering if anyone needs a roommate. I don't mind living in the living room at all. Feel free to call or text me at 512-923-4330 if you have one or know someone who needs a roommate. Thanks.

So the application cycle opens up next month. I wonder if there are any lurkers getting ready to apply.
I'd be shocked. Unless they (want to) live in the Valley.

Come on, we're not quite the Valley. And besides, they might look at Lubbock or Temple the same way.
You're right... Kingsville is in the middle of nowhere, not the Valley! What was I thinking?
XD

Come on, we're not quite the Valley. And besides, they might look at Lubbock or Temple the same way.

Not... really... My parents graduated from universities in Lubbock back when it was slightly larger than Kingsville. Now the population exceeds 150,000 last I remember, and they're constantly building upon it.