Texas FP residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteotitan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight or advice on the strengths/weaknesses of the various programs? Specifically, which Texas programs incorporate a lot of procedural training during the 3 years of residency. I am in my 4th year and am currently interested in rural medicine and would like to go somewhere that will train me to do a wide variety of procedures in my future practice (minor surgeries, scopes, etc.). Any help is really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

look into John Peter Smith in Fort Worth. Very well known as an FP residency that trains you to handle anything, perfect for the jack of all trades rural doc. By personal experience via rotations has been very positive, all the interns and residents are very friendly and incredibly sharp.

osteotitan said:
Does anyone have any insight or advice on the strengths/weaknesses of the various programs? Specifically, which Texas programs incorporate a lot of procedural training during the 3 years of residency. I am in my 4th year and am currently interested in rural medicine and would like to go somewhere that will train me to do a wide variety of procedures in my future practice (minor surgeries, scopes, etc.). Any help is really appreciated!

You should also consider a program in a rural area if you want to do rural medicine. I have heard good things about Brazos Valley and Conroe Family Medicine programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are single and need to do something 50 times to feel confident doing it, then you can learn the same stuff you learn at JPS anywhere there is an accredited FM program. I used to be one of these people that believed that there were these super programs for FM, but I am slowly realizing that there are few differences among programs overall. JPS is old, run down, has less than friendly nurses, and has the absolute worst computer system ever. On rotations there, you spend about half your day just trying to track down studies and labs, waiting for the system to come back up, and hand carrying your important films to the radiologist before they are lost forever. Its a cool place for camaraderie and you really get a lot of responsibility, but its like being in prison for 3 years. Their call in monumentally terrible because there are few other residencies to staff the crucial services. I won't even be applying to it I have decided.

Waco is a great program for balance in terms of life outside and time well spent at work. If you can get past the fact that they are an openly religious group of faculty and residents, its a great place. I am a Christian, but I don't feel extremely comfortable talking about prayer and God openly in a work environment. I'll have to see up close at interviews to rule it in or out.

My advice would be to go visit places you are interested in for their location and see if you fit in with the crowd. If you do, then you have found a winner.

Thanks for the input. I have rotations set up at JPS and a couple in San Antonio. I probably won't pursue the one in Waco since I spent four years there in undergrad and have NO desire to go back for another three. Thanks for the advice about JPS, I don't know anything about their program. Anyone else have any insight on the various Texas programs?

osteotitan said:
Thanks for the input. I have rotations set up at JPS and a couple in San Antonio. I probably won't pursue the one in Waco since I spent four years there in undergrad and have NO desire to go back for another three. Thanks for the advice about JPS, I don't know anything about their program. Anyone else have any insight on the various Texas programs?

Look into the Tyler program. If I were going into FP, I'd have Tyler and Waco near the top of my list, as well as JPS. Just my 2 cents.