TEXAS Med Schools Entering Class *2005* Applicant Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
fotolilith said:
Houston is not amenable to extra letters of interest, unfortunately. I know someone who sent one there (from a UTH faculty member) and they had their letter returned, with their name misspelled, & some form letter about how UTH only keeps electronic applications (no files).

UTHSCSA might be more open to it.

Good luck!
True. The admissions office isn't what I'd call......"friendly." Take my word for it.

Members don't see this ad.

fotolilith said:
Houston is not amenable to extra letters of interest, unfortunately. I know someone who sent one there (from a UTH faculty member) and they had their letter returned, with their name misspelled, & some form letter about how UTH only keeps electronic applications (no files).

Good luck!

That happened to me at UT-Houston as well. They sent my original letter back along with that form letter. However, that was before the match and the form letter said anything they receive should be sent through TMDSAS. Now that the match is over, it couldn't hurt to send them one. The worst that will happen is that they just return it to you. The best that could happen is that the Dean reads it. Why not?!? :thumbup:

UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo (or, El Presidente), AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, DualSuperLead, dizzydog, USCTex, dolchevita, eartoocean

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds, heeter, ut_stephen, apar01, diver

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS, getunconcsious, AJnAK182, jdovez, LanceP97, utlake, DeepCowboy

UTMB - Galveston
fotolilith, UTKB, daysleeprx, shock827, wdarli, superunknown

Texas Tech University
latinfridley, 2tall, MedicoTre, CharlieVN, whtdasheezy, jht

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo, redrocks, longhorndoc

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
papunjabi, topworm, WelchAg04, Quartz, ifailedmcat, ilona, BSR1

Members don't see this ad :)
Strange. I also had a UT-H faculty member write me a recommendation (it went through TMDSAS) and she also sent a letter to the admissions committee. Nothing was returned. In fact, she told she received a letter thanking her for sending the correspondence.
fotolilith said:

Good luck!

UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo (or, El Presidente), AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, DualSuperLead, dizzydog, USCTex, dolchevita, eartoocean

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds, heeter, ut_stephen, apar01, diver

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS, getunconcsious, AJnAK182, jdovez, LanceP97, utlake, DeepCowboy

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University
latinfridley, 2tall, MedicoTre, CharlieVN, whtdasheezy, jht

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo, redrocks, longhorndoc, japtat918

Quick question: has anyone received any notification from A&M post-match? I'm talking rejections or waitlist offers. Thanks!

RangerD said:
That happened to me at UT-Houston as well. They sent my original letter back along with that form letter. However, that was before the match and the form letter said anything they receive should be sent through TMDSAS. Now that the match is over, it couldn't hurt to send them one. The worst that will happen is that they just return it to you. The best that could happen is that the Dean reads it. Why not?!? :thumbup:

Yeah, I do like optimism... esp since the worst that could happen is you get the letter back. Go for it, and be specific. Good luck!

b-real said:
Quick question: has anyone received any notification from A&M post-match? I'm talking rejections or waitlist offers. Thanks!
Not here so far.

UTKB said:
true blue, i'm really sorry. It's just not fair. I wish there were something I could do!!! You're so cool and you deserve to get in. I really hope you don't give up and reapply next cycle if you don't get in off the waitlist. Iknew that not everyone on the forum would match, but it still brings me down. :(

My sentiments too - you're a sweetheart & I hope you get your wish!

true blue, i'm really sorry. It's just not fair. I wish there were something I could do!!! You're so cool and you deserve to get in. I really hope you don't give up and reapply next cycle if you don't get in off the waitlist. Iknew that not everyone on the forum would match, but it still brings me down.

Thanks UTKB. I appreciate your kind words. Not only did I not get in but I am heartbroken over the fact that I won't have some of you for classmates or colleagues. You guys are a great group of people!! :) Although I know you were hoping for UTSW, I think you will have a wonderful time at UTMB. Galveston is not that far from Houston so you are still close enough to your boyfriend. Besides, the time it takes to drive to Galveston is a normal commute for us living in Houston! ;) I wish you the best of luck!! :luck: Congratulations on getting in!

fotolilith said:
My sentiments too - you're a sweetheart & I hope you get your wish!

Fotolilith, thank you! I am glad to see that you also made it in to UTMB. You and UTKB will be classmates. How awesome! Congratulations and good luck to you as well. :thumbup: :luck:

Thanks to everyone on this thread for your support during this whole process. You guys are the best! Good luck to you in your future endeavors. :luck:

TB

fotolilith said:

Good luck!

THOSE ARE MY HANDS WOMAN !!!! good lord !!
:wow:

cpw said:
THOSE ARE MY HANDS WOMAN !!!! good lord !!
:wow:

What? Everyone is doing hand gestures... I just wanted to fit in.

Has anyone ever told you that you would make a lovely hand model? :)

:thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup:

UT San Antonio

UT Southwestern

UT Houston

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University
latinfridley, 2tall, MedicoTre, CharlieVN, whtdasheezy, jht, techmed, Dr.Isabella, joe19, amy2003uva, Lily22

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo, redrocks, longhorndoc, japtat918

Members don't see this ad :)
RTQPCR said:
Lane,
Do you know any specifics on the "rolling-style" admissions process for next year. Will they get rid of the match altogether. If not, then how will they prevent applicants from holding two or more acceptances? I didn't match. UTHSCSA was the only place I interviewed and would have been my first choice had I interviewed anywhere else. Dr. Jones' assistant said he is making the alternate pool right now and letters will be mailed the middle of next week. She said it is not ranked, just a pool from which they select applicants.

Thanks
i don't know the details about the new rolling admission (heck, i don't even know if they've all been ironed out yet) - i'll ask around and i'll let yall know if and when i hear anything

Hi Guys,

In celebration of the great news, I'm giving away some free GMail invites to the first 3 SDN'ers who PM me.

Once, again, congratulations on your acceptance!

Thanks,
-Y_Marker

*** Posting for those who will be attending in the Fall ***

I believe that all of our schools require the Hep B vaccination series.

FYI, for those of you in the medical center (or who work in a health care setting), most of your institutions will give you the Hep B series for free. Check with your Occupational Health office.

It'll save some money and time as you likely don't have to make an appointment to get it done. I'm going tomorrow morning.

cpw also mentioned that Planned Parenthood gives out the shots for a substantially reduced (free?) fee for those without such access.

EvoDevo said:
*** Posting for those who will be attending in the Fall ***

I believe that all of our schools require the Hep B vaccination series.

FYI, for those of you in the medical center (or who work in a health care setting), most of your institutions will give you the Hep B series for free. Check with your Occupational Health office.

It'll save some money and time as you likely don't have to make an appointment to get it done. I'm going tomorrow morning.

cpw also mentioned that Planned Parenthood gives out the shots for a substantially reduced (free?) fee for those without such access.

Your county Dept of Health or whatever it's called also gives the Hep B series. In Brazos county, I paid $12 per shot, and that was the highest fee on the payment ladder. Total was $36.

Is anybody else astonished at how quickly this thread died?

JDAD said:
Is anybody else astonished at how quickly this thread died?

Meh, it had a good run. The reason it died is because we aren't totipotent anymore. The match is over, so now we're differentiated, and our fates are sealed (Taking developmental bio. this semester ) :D

getunconcsious said:
Meh, it had a good run. The reason it died is because we aren't totipotent anymore. The match is over, so now we're differentiated, and our fates are sealed (Taking developmental bio. this semester ) :D
That was good! :laugh: :thumbup:

getunconcsious said:

Man, I'm gonna miss these little moments of mutual nerdiness. :laugh:

hey anyone hear aobut waitlist at any of the schools.

and if ya'll know people who are gonna withdraw, tell em to do it quick. we are feeling the same way everyone else was feeling before the match. please.

thehopeful said:
hey anyone hear aobut waitlist at any of the schools.

and if ya'll know people who are gonna withdraw, tell em to do it quick. we are feeling the same way everyone else was feeling before the match. please.

I am like you and I am anxiously awaiting to see if I get in off a waiting list. I got a letter from TCOM a couple of days ago saying I was on their waiting list, but they won't say how many are on it or where I stand. I heard that UT-Houston and UT-SA are compiling their lists right now and they should be out soon.

im gonna be withdrawing my TTech acceptance. so maybe somebody here will get it.

Can you apply to texas med schools if you haven't completed the pre-reqs, but are in the process of completing them?

bravotwozero said:
Can you apply to texas med schools if you haven't completed the pre-reqs, but are in the process of completing them?

Yes, however you need to complete the required pre-reqs before matriculation, otherwise, the school will revoke your acceptance.

bravotwozero said:

Yes, but unless you signify that you're going to complete them (they ask you on the app what you're currently taking and what you're planning on taking for the last semester of school) then I doubt you'll get invited to interview.

Hey folks!

Man, I haven't posted to SDN in ages...Anyways, my name is Carlos, and I'm currently a first year at UTHSCSA. (Lane, our prez, and I actually first met here in SDN last year.) Anyways, interesting fact for you guys:

TMDSAS implemented the "NO MATCH" field because of me.

That's right, if you didn't match, and the website says "NO MATCH," it's my fault. :) Here's the deal. Up until this year, if you didn't match, it would just stay blank -- as if nothing was different, and so it left students who didn't match unsure if the match results had even been posted yet. So, I suggested to TMDSAS that students who didn't initially match with any schools get a "NO MATCH" so that they'd at least know what was going on, and not be left in the dark about the match results until they find out one of their friends did match. So, I apologize profusely if you got a "NO MATCH." In fact, the first time I applied, I didn't match, but the "matched" field remained blank, and so I kept on telling myself the match results hadn't been posted yet...even though it was a week later. :oops:

But alas, I'm in, and so can you. You just have to work hard and believe in yourself, and know that if it's meant to be, it will be. Perhaps not now, but sometime. It wasn't until I was accepted the following year that I made the request to TMDSAS to implement the "NO MATCH" result for students who didn't match. So that people like me didn't keep on telling themselves the website hasn't been updated rather than accept defeat. So, I wish each and every one of you the very best of luck!!

Take care!

-- Carlos

USCTex said:
Yes, but unless you signify that you're going to complete them (they ask you on the app what you're currently taking and what you're planning on taking for the last semester of school) then I doubt you'll get invited to interview.

At UTHSCSA, they make you sign an agreement on the day or your interview that specifies completion of all pre-med requirements before matriculation.

AsianDoc816 said:
At UTHSCSA, they make you sign an agreement on the day or your interview that specifies completion of all pre-med requirements before matriculation.

I signed that :)
None of the other school's made me do that *scratches head*

bravotwozero said:

When I filled out my application I still lacked nearly all of my pre-requisites, but had already received a degree. I took all of them last summer, fall, and am finishing currently this spring. I received four interviews though, and matched at TCOM. I did take my MCAT last April however, and had the scores when I applied in June.

bravotwozero said:

Yep, I know ppl who finished their prereqs 2 weeks before med school started. :)

On a related note **make certain that you check the pre-reqs specified by each school** and don't just go by what the TMDSAS website says.

As it turns out, I didn't exactly have the required course work for my school (doh!), cuz my undergrad does lab courses a bit differently than others (when we're not burning down our chemistry buildings! Yeah UT!:) ).

Luckily, I called my school to see if I needed another course before matriculation, and they had already been kind enough to grant me credit based on the course work that I had. Wahoo! :)

But just for your peace of mind, double check each school's requirements asap, cuz they are not always so understanding (in my case the number of hours I took translated into a year of lab).

garrettww said:
When I filled out my application I still lacked nearly all of my pre-requisites, but had already received a degree. I took all of them last summer, fall, and am finishing currently this spring. I received four interviews though, and matched at TCOM. I did take my MCAT last April however, and had the scores when I applied in June.

Cool. I'm sorta in the same boat. I've done the MCAT, and have my degree, just need to finish off pre-reqs. Thanks for the info.

fotolilith said:
Yep, I know ppl who finished their prereqs 2 weeks before med school started. :)

On a related note **make certain that you check the pre-reqs specified by each school** and don't just go by what the TMDSAS website says.

As it turns out, I didn't exactly have the required course work for my school (doh!), cuz my undergrad does lab courses a bit differently than others (when we're not burning down our chemistry buildings! Yeah UT!:) ).

Luckily, I called my school to see if I needed another course before matriculation, and they had already been kind enough to grant me credit based on the course work that I had. Wahoo! :)

But just for your peace of mind, double check each school's requirements asap, cuz they are not always so understanding (in my case the number of hours I took translated into a year of lab).

Which course was it? I took my pre-req's at UT back in the 90's. Was it the organic lab, 210C?

RTQPCR said:
Which course was it? I took my pre-req's at UT back in the 90's. Was it the organic lab, 210C?

It was the requirement concerning one year of biology lab. UT changed their biology curriculum in the last 5 years, so they don't tack on biology labs to their courses like other schools (at least, this is my impression when I talk to students from other universities).

It seems like the TX med schools have taken this into consideration & will grant the individual labs equivalent credit, but it never hurts to check (and believe me, that mini-heart attack I had when I thought I lacked a credit was *not* fun ;-P).

The UT chem dept hasn't changed much, so CH204 and CH210C are recognized as completing your chem lab requirement (and, for mostly CH204, the worst 4 hrs a wk in your life! ;-P).

CH210c was perhaps the worst lab in the history of lab courses @ UT. Absolutely horrible.

--------------------

Gotta love that Houston TX SDN crowd! :D

EvoDevo said:
CH210c was perhaps the worst lab in the history of lab courses @ UT. Absolutely horrible.

--------------------

Gotta love that Houston TX SDN crowd! :D

I just said that! Copy cat! :sleep:

EvoDevo said:

Yah, that combined with physics lab just made my sophomore year depressing. THANK GOD we are done and can laugh about it now =)

bravotwozero said:

Andy McNab would...He's a bad ass.

Hey, are any of y'all from Southern Methodist University? I'm only asking cuz I go to SMU and I'm applying for med school this summer. Just wanted to see if any of my fellow mustangs matched. Congrats to everyone who did.

AsianDoc816 said:
Yah, that combined with physics lab just made my sophomore year depressing. THANK GOD we are done and can laugh about it now =)

Yeah, laugh... go into convulsions... same difference. :scared:

EvoDevo said:
How can I copy the Evil Doppleganger??? :confused:

I see that I have outsmarted you. Yehhee, my plan has worked! :D

EvoDevo said:

All of you guys were obviously never chem majors at UT then...try taking CH154K. One hour of credit for what is easily 10 hours of work per lab report (not even counting formal lab reports!) At least in 210C you didn't have to do error analysis. :mad:

daysleeprx said:
All of you guys were obviously never chem majors at UT then...try taking CH154K. One hour of credit for what is easily 10 hours of work per lab report (not even counting formal lab reports!) At least in 210C you didn't have to do error analysis. :mad:

yikes! im glad i was in the mccombs school of business at UT :)

-tx

daysleeprx said:

Yah, I've heard that the Chem/Biochem majors at UT have it REALLY bad as far as lab and required classes go. I feel sorry for you guys, but respect your ability to do well despite the difficulties! Oh, and as a double major in Bio and Psy (with a little taste of Chem and Physics), I can say with accuracy/validity that liberal arts classes are about 1000 times easier than science ones (though many of the LA classes are more interesting and engaging)!

I applied without all my pre-reqs done.. in fact, I am finishing up calculus now just so I can go to UT-H. Woohoo!

daysleeprx said:

Hey I'm a chem major, not at UT though. I'm taking pchem right now :(.

Btw, all you waitlisters. I just got a letter from UTMB, I'm waitlisted. There are approximately 200 people on the waitlist this year...ouch. Our odds are less than ten percent :(. They said movement usually happens around May, and around 10-15 people are offered spots off the waitlist.

Oh can any first years tell us approximately how many people in their respective classes were accepted off the waitlist? This information would be extremely helpful, thanks :oops:.