TEXAS Med Schools Entering Class *2005* Applicant Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to all of you. Well deserved acceptances all around. I just wish I could be in the same celebratory mood as many of you are but unfortunately last night my worst nightmare became a reality:

NO MATCH

I could not believe it, I refreshed the page about 50 times in hopes TMDSAS had made a big mistake. I did the same thing this morning but the message is still there.

I called SA but I was not able to get through

A&M told me to call back in April...........like I am going to wait that long, ha!

Tx Tech did not even put me on an alternate list

Second time through this emotional rollercoaster.......................................

The question is will I give up?

Answer: HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZ NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WILL SHOW THEM WHO I AM :smuggrin:

-COOMASSIE

Members don't see this ad.

EvoDevo said:
:D :D

Thanks so much. It's been a tough, long road.

Yeah, but its been worth it. You persevered and made it through. That perseverance will serve you well as you get through the next 4 years. Next to what you went through as a U.S. Marine...it'll all be down hill now! :thumbup:

Congrats!

UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo (or, El Presidente), AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, DualSuperLead, dizzydog

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds, heeter, ut_stephen

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS, getunconcsious, AJnAK182, jdovez, LanceP97, utlake

UTMB - Galveston
fotolilith, UTKB, daysleeprx, shock827

Texas Tech University
latinfridley, 2tall, MedicoTre, CharlieVN, whtdasheezy

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza,

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
papunjabi, topworm, WelchAg04, Quartz, ifailedmcat

Members don't see this ad :)
the waitlists DO move - i'm proof of that :D some schools (houston and SA i know) take a few weeks to make their alternate pool so just hold tight and keep on keepin' on

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!

Now, Come Celebrate Your Acceptance And Meet Your New Classmates!!
We Are Meeting At Trudy's On 30th Street In Austin At 9pm Tonight

thehopeful said:
so can people post what schools have told them about waitlist.

did they tell you where you rank and how many pople on average get off the waitlist.

what did UTMB say, i was so confused and still am, i think i forgot to ask them or i don't remember what they said. yep, i'm that messed up.

but my heartfelt congratuations to the dudes and dudettes that made it.
UTMB just told me they'll send letters out on friday

coomassie said:
Congratulations to all of you. Well deserved acceptances all around. I just wish I could be in the same celebratory mood as many of you are but unfortunately last night my worst nightmare became a reality:

NO MATCH

I could not believe it, I refreshed the page about 50 times in hopes TMDSAS had made a big mistake. I did the same thing this morning but the message is still there.

A&M told me to call back in April...........like I am going to wait that long, ha!

Second time through this emotional rollercoaster.......................................

Answer: HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZ NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-COOMASSIE
Awesome attitude, my friend. I've been there and I'm proof that persistence pays off. Don't give up man. :luck:

coomassie said:

NO MATCH

-COOMASSIE

Thats what i like to hear! Your goal will be that much sweeter when (not if) you accomplish it!

Good luck to you :luck:

-tx

Is it so wrong to be sad that I won't have all of you in my class?? :(

Thanks for the kind words evo and txguy, I will assure you that I will be sitting next to you guys come Aug. 2005. This is not over, not by a long shot.

Here I come Dr. Jones, Dr. Maldonado (or is it Colenda?) and Dr. Tx Tech (can't remember who he/she is)

-coomassie

medstu110 said:
I got in. Yay yay. I'm so happy. :) :) :) :)

This has been a long year. Now I can relax. I'm so happy because today is my birthday and its going to be a great one. :) :)

I want to congratulate everyone who got in. I'm really happy for all of you. :thumbup: :)

For those that didn't get in The only thing I can say is that I've been there and know exactly how you feel. I know everyone has probably told you this and your tired of hearing this but I'll say it again anyway... Don't give up hope and keep on trying because if you really want it then it will happen, trust me. Some of us are more lucky than others and get into our first choice schools or get into med school on their first try. Some others like myself have to try a little harder and it takes a little longer but trust me it can be done.

The last thing I want to say is that I love everyone on this forum. You guys have been my support group throughout the year and gave me hope and I'm really grateful. I'm also really sad because pretty soon this forum will be empty and I will miss all of you.

Anyway that's all I have to say. If anyone is feeling down and needs someone to listen to them or wants to hear my long story of what I had to do to get here today then PM me anytime. :)

We told ya you'd get what you really wanted for your birthday, and we're not talking puppies are we ;) Congrats medstu, I'm stoked to see that you got what you deserved (i think that this is the first time I've ever used that phrase in any way positive)

AJ

ajnak182 said:
We told ya you'd get what you really wanted for your birthday, and we're not talking puppies are we ;) Congrats medstu, I'm stoked to see that you got what you deserved (i think that this is the first time I've ever used that phrase in any way positive)

AJ

Thanks ajnak182. You really kept me going and I appreciate it. I want to congratulate you on getting into Houston. :) Let's party. :hardy: :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
UT San Antonio
txguy, EvoDevo, AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, USCTex

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds

UT Houston
RangerD, getunconcsious, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University
latinfridley, 2tall, MedicoTre

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, eralza

February 1, 2005 -- The Day SDN Shut Down Because of Texas Pre-Meds

:laugh:

We showed everyone who's boss around here!

You guys....I am so excited................WE MADE IT!!!! evo, txguy, asiandoc, et cetera......SEE YOU GUYS IN SAN ANTONIO WITH THE WHITE COAT!!! :love:

aprilshyla said:
February 1, 2005 -- The Day SDN Shut Down Because of Texas Pre-Meds

:laugh:

We showed everyone who's boss around here!

You guys....I am so excited................WE MADE IT!!!! evo, txguy, asiandoc, et cetera......SEE YOU GUYS IN SAN ANTONIO WITH THE WHITE COAT!!! :love:

So, we totally shut down SDN last night and I couldn't even get on...eventually I passed out. But, to all my San Antonio peep's congratulations...see you there...

I feel sort of stupid cause I dont know any of you really but I feel really proud of everyone who matched and man, I hope next year you guys make med school as fun as it can be. :laugh:

USCTex said:
So, we totally shut down SDN last night and I couldn't even get on...eventually I passed out. But, to all my San Antonio peep's congratulations...see you there...

I feel sort of stupid cause I dont know any of you really but I feel really proud of everyone who matched and man, I hope next year you guys make med school as fun as it can be. :laugh:

I know how you feel, I am so excited for everyone here! I was telling my boyfriend last night about how evo, sfajess, jdad, etc. had gotten into their top choices. Of course this meant nothing to him, but he listened politely!

:)

Emily

Anyone in DFW interested in a get together tonight to celebrate the match??

UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo (or, El Presidente), AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, DualSuperLead, dizzydog, USCTex

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds, heeter, ut_stephen

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS, getunconcsious, AJnAK182, jdovez, LanceP97, utlake

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo

Ylime said:
I know how you feel, I am so excited for everyone here! I was telling my boyfriend last night about how evo, sfajess, jdad, etc. had gotten into their top choices. Of course this meant nothing to him, but he listened politely!

:)

Emily
Right? I was trying to relate this all to my roommate last night, about all these ppl matching to their top choices, how I'm going to "know" a large number of my future classmates,etc.

All I heard was the sound of chirping crickets. :p

Any Houston people who got into UTH want to get together tonight?

I dying to meet someone in my class!!!

-Keberson

Hey Keberson:

There are a bunch of us living in Houston who have been talking bout party plans for tonight. Why not come on out?
-----------

Okay folks, let's get things organized. Do dinner followed by drinks and partying??

drbevo said:
UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo (or, El Presidente), AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, DualSuperLead, dizzydog, USCTex

UT Southwestern

UT Houston

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo

Hi, i matched at UTHSCSA ! Can't wait to meet the class of '09.

EvoDevo said:
Is it so wrong to be sad that I won't have all of you in my class?? :(

Yeah, that's the sad reality... but don't worry Evo, your doppleganger will be representin' in the Galveston Hood. :cool:

UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo (or, El Presidente), AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, DualSuperLead, dizzydog, USCTex, dolchevita

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds, heeter, ut_stephen, apar01

UT Houston

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo

EvoDevo said:
Okay folks, let's get things organized. Do dinner followed by drinks and partying??

I'm going to Valhalla (Rice's on-campus bar) tonight at 10pm with a bottle of Champagne... anyone is welcome to join me :laugh:

jbp100 said:
The good thing is that I am on the waitlist. She could not however tell me what my rank on the list was or how many people they normally accepted off of the waitlist. Hmmm... sounds fishy. The other schools have no problems giving out numbers. She did tell me the number of spots given off the waitlist have decreased over the past few years. :rolleyes:

thats the same story they told me.... i'm on the waitlist, and they are mailing out letters today. i dont know why they wont reveal numbers, or tell you where you are at on the waitlist...

t

Well I may not have 100+ post like the rest of you people but I just wanted to say congradulations to everyone.

UT-Houston here I come~! yea~!~~~!

If anyone is in UT-austin you'll see me in on 6th street on thurs. :laugh:

Hey

I'm going to TCOM!! It was my number one choice (out of three). Any other UNT students going to TCOM?

UT-Houston, Here I come! Woooooooohoooo!

fotolilith said:
Yeah, that's the sad reality... but don't worry Evo, your doppleganger will be representin' in the Galveston Hood. :cool:
Word. :cool:

Hey everyone! I am so excited for everyone who matched :) . I'm so sorry for people who didn't :( . I was in your shoes last year, just don't give up. Reapplication really tries your patience and nerves. It will happen if you keep working at it.

SDN went down last night, and after calling all my family and refreshing SDN to no avail, I crashed until about 10:30 this morning. You people crashed SDN!!! COOL! You guys have been great. Thank you so much for the support. :thumbup: :luck:

fotolilith said:

I'm going to Valhalla (Rice's on-campus bar) tonight at 10pm with a bottle of Champagne... anyone is welcome to join me :laugh:
Hey, check out the Houston get-together thread, oh Evil One.

txguy said:
For next year's class: So I guess LMFU has nothing to do with the match!

-tx
I'm not saying it does or doesn't.. but the LMFU theory that if your date doesn't change you get into your first choice held up for me.. just an FYI! Congrats to all!!
Houston-Bound! :clap:

bluerose said:
I'm not saying it does or doesn't.. but the LMFU theory that if your date doesn't change you get into your first choice held up for me.. just an FYI! Congrats to all!!
Houston-Bound! :clap:

I've got a counterexample for that. My date never changed from 011405 and I matched with my second choice.

Just FYI for future applicants who sort through this monster of a thread:
One can be accepted into medical school with 70 hours of junior college credit.

My heartfelt congratulations to everybody...

DualSuperLead said:
I've got a counterexample for that. My date never changed from 011405 and I matched with my second choice.

Just FYI for future applicants who sort through this monster of a thread:
One can be accepted into medical school with 70 hours of junior college credit.

My heartfelt congratulations to everybody...

My LMFU changed to 1/27, I was never validated, and I got into my first choice.

UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo (or, El Presidente), AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, DualSuperLead, dizzydog, USCTex, dolchevita

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds, heeter, ut_stephen, apar01

UT Houston

UTMB - Galveston
fotolilith, UTKB, daysleeprx, shock827, wdarli

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo

UT San Antonio

UT Southwestern

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS, getunconcsious, AJnAK182, jdovez, LanceP97, utlake, DeepCowboy

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo

My LMFU stayed at 1/10 and I matched to my number one. I don't think it means anything but I bet next year's applicants will stress about it as we did.

for the waitlist people,

say you matched at a lower school and so you are waitlisted at the schools you ranked before it and wanna go there. does the schools that waitlist you know that you have been accepted somewhere. see what i am thinking is that when these schools pick who they want to pick off the waitlist, maybe they won't pick the person who has an acceptance and will pick the person who did not match. can they do that or they don't know who's been accepted where.

i can just about gurantee LMFu doesn't have anything to do with the match, i found out the hard way. and mine stayed the same.

Brain said:
My LMFU stayed at 1/10 and I matched to my number one. I don't think it means anything but I bet next year's applicants will stress about it as we did.

Agreeing that LMFU and validation have nothing to do with the match. I was validated - but many who were not matched. My dates changed 1/15, 1/17, 1/27 - and I matched at my #1. Many have posted that their dates stayed at 12/05 or 1/10 (before the match) and they matched. Seems conclusive - don't stress about the dates next year because they mean nothing!!

(And to all of those reading this next year, we wrote 1000's of pages about the dates, so we had lots of info to compare - I'd argue its a firm case!)

Congratulations to everyone & good luck to those hoping on wait list movement! I personally know 2 people that are giving up their TX seats this week (UTMB & UTHSCSA I believe) for out of state schools, so there WILL be movement, dont lose hope. Good Luck!

thehopeful said:
for the waitlist people,

say you matched at a lower school and so you are waitlisted at the schools you ranked before it and wanna go there. does the schools that waitlist you know that you have been accepted somewhere. see what i am thinking is that when these schools pick who they want to pick off the waitlist, maybe they won't pick the person who has an acceptance and will pick the person who did not match. can they do that or they don't know who's been accepted where.
In an ideal world, this would be the case (I feel for all of you folks without acceptances!). Unfortunately, I know TCOM uses a straight-up numerical ranking where they start at the top and work their way down. I know other schools do it differently.

The only distinct advantage we have is after June 1st, when people who already have acceptances can't move anymore. But if they can't move anymore, it is not likely that you would get a spot anyway. A Catch-22 for sure!!

ifailedmcat said:
I like your name btw, I'm thinking about changing my name to something with "hope" in it.

check you PM

EvoDevo said:
Sorry to hear it, man. Don't give up hope - Lane got in off SA's w/l last year. And I believe that Tech has a fair amount of w/l movement. :luck:

Thanks for the encouragement. I can't hold my breath. I seems like 2/3 of waitlisters said to consider it a rejection and start making other plans (from the TX 2004 thread).

Good to know about Tech movement though.

drbevo said:
Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo
I thought we'd never hear from you Dr. Bevo!!! I'm so glad we're gonna be classmates....long time no see buddy!

TMDSAS Match Results

UT San Antonio

UT Southwestern

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS, getunconcsious, AJnAK182, jdovez, LanceP97, utlake, DeepCowboy

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo

C/0 2009 Threads: (add if yours is not here!)

TCOM: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176525

UTHSCSA: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176520

UTMB: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2247554

UTSW: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176511

thehopeful said:
i can just about gurantee LMFu doesn't have anything to do with the match, i found out the hard way. and mine stayed the same.

Mine stayed the same and I did match to my #1. As stated before, it doesn't have anything to do with the match. Mine hasn't changed at all because I haven't sent in any new transcripts for the Fall yet.

TMDSAS Match Results

UT San Antonio

UT Southwestern

UT Houston

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University
latinfridley, 2tall, MedicoTre, CharlieVN, whtdasheezy, jht

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo

C/0 2009 Threads: (add if yours is not here!)

TCOM: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176525

UTHSCSA: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176520

UTMB: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2247554

UTSW: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176511[/QUOTE]