Texas Med Schools- My chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lomm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My top choices are UT Houston and Tech

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am applying with a 30 (10/10/10) have a 3.75 overall and a 3.65 science from Texas A&M, both of which should be going up after this semester. I have 3 years of undergraduate research, leadership positions, community service, medical volunteering, and shadowing. What are my chances of getting into the state schools? My top choices are UT Houston and Tech
Apply literally the day you get your grades back from finals to all TX schools, and assuming you can do well in an interview, I'd be willing to bet money you get at least one acceptance. UTSW and Baylor are going to be reach schools with a 30 mcat, UTMB and UT houston will be low reach-average schools with your science gpa as they seem to like higher gpa's and not as high MCATs, and the rest should be competitive schools for you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My science GPA is low because I was an engineer my freshman year. If I take out those math courses it is a 3.83 if that means anything
Unfortunately it doesn't, math will still count. Which I know how bad it sucks because my only C is in calc 2 which was required for my degree:bang:

Reactions: 1 user
I think your chances are good. Your GPA/MCAT are in range and I've seen people with higher stats do terribly and people around your stats do great. The numbers are important, but it really depends on the rest of your application.

My top choices are UT Houston and Tech

URM? We have pretty much identical stats. GPAc: 3.76, GPAs: 3.66, MCAT: 31-32 (new MCAT), 2 years of undergraduate research, volunteering, scribing, leadership, yada yada. We are basically the same person, except I'm male. Thus far I've gotten UTH, UTMB, UTSA, TAMUSOM, UT-Dell interviews. Best of luck to you, and let me know how it goes.

I suspect we've both got a great shot.

I've had interviews at Houston TCOM A&M San Antonio and Baylor so I'd say we've done pretty well @JBL15TX good luck to you too

I am URM (Hispanic/Latino), with an URM name as well, so it may have had some affect in the screening process.

I also do not think lomm is URM, as I may have serendipitously found her on mdapps listed as Caucasian. I'm not a creeper, I swear - we just have really similar stats. Hahaha.

@JBL15TX we've probably had classes together and don't even know it haha