TEXAS MPJE question regarding delivery of prescription without the presence of pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted723470

In the ultimate TX MPJE review guide, there's a section in Class A pharmacy law that states the following:

"During short periods of time when the pharmacist is absent from the pharmacy, an agent of the pharmacist may deliver a previously verified prescription (new or refill) to a patient in the pharmacy provided the short periods of time do not exceed 2 hours in a 24 hour period. The pharmacy may also use an automated kiosk machine to deliver refill prescription (not new) for dangerous drugs only when pharmacist is off site. This is not limited to the 2 hour limitation."

Lets pretend the pharmacy is located inside a grocery store and the pharmacy closes 2 hours earlier than the grocery store, prescriptions can be delivered to the patient up to 2 hours without presence of the pharmacist? Am I missing something? If this remains true, why haven't pharmacy chains and corporations taken advantage of this practice? Are federal pharmacy laws for stringent in this scenario?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the ultimate TX MPJE review guide, there's a section in Class A pharmacy law that states the following:

"During short periods of time when the pharmacist is absent from the pharmacy, an agent of the pharmacist may deliver a previously verified prescription (new or refill) to a patient in the pharmacy provided the short periods of time do not exceed 2 hours in a 24 hour period. The pharmacy may also use an automated kiosk machine to deliver refill prescription (not new) for dangerous drugs only when pharmacist is off site. This is not limited to the 2 hour limitation."

Lets pretend the pharmacy is located inside a grocery store and the pharmacy closes 2 hours earlier than the grocery store, prescriptions can be delivered to the patient up to 2 hours without presence of the pharmacist? Am I missing something? If this remains true, why haven't pharmacy chains and corporations taken advantage of this practice? Are federal pharmacy laws for stringent this situation?
I assume it would be a customer service problem when people want to drop off new prescriptions or get counseling.

Reactions: 1 user
I suspect chains haven't taken advantage of this, because it would not be legal in most states, even if its legal in Texas. Chains want blanket policies that can be used in all states.

This sounds like a reasonable allowance being made for the fact that pharmacists sometimes need bathroom and meal breaks, in a situation where no other pharmacist could cover. Not an opportunity to keep a pharmacy open extended hours without a pharmacist.

Reactions: 1 user