Texas Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nkow

bouncin' here and there
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the Texas programs? Specifically the ones around Houston? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I second that...any opinions etc... about all texas programs would be wonderful--Temple, UTSW, Baylor Dallas, San Antonio ect... Thanks in advance and hope to see you on the interview trail!

UTHSC-San Antonio:
There are 6 residents per year. They definately seem happier than last year - there has been some attending changes (a really malignant attending left and a few new ones just started). The faculty is mainly well established - they've had the same program director for a long time. Chair is a REI guy - Dr. Shenken (spelled wrong, I think), who doesn't have much contact at all with the residents. There is wonderful training in diabetes with some of the forefront clinical research (Glyburide in GDM). There is an away rotation in Harlingen that might be optional, I'm not sure. There is a night float system, Sunday - Thursday. Day check out is at 5 pm, with a short call team (once per week on ob and gyn services) and checkout to night float is at 7 pm. The morning checkout is at 7 am. There are conferences in mornings 3 days per week from 7:30-8:30. Clinic is downtown at the Brady Green -a 15-30 minute drive from the hospital depending on traffic.
Patient population is all low income, predominantly spanish speaking. The attendings have their own practice at Ashford Oaks that deliver at University, residents manage all labors with few exceptions.
REI fellowship, part of MFM network -now interviewing for MFM fellowship.
Some downsides that I've seen: no centralized monitoring, limited experience with tocolytics and amnioinfusions. A lot of the faculty did their residency here. There seems to be a dichotomy within the faculty that the procedures/approach to patient care varies greatly depending on which faculty is covering L&D most days. PM me if you've got more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Tiredmom--can't think of any more questions now b/c I take my step2ck on friday but after that I will be able to focus again on learning about new places so I'm sure I will think of some for ya!

My name is Jason and I am a PGY-2. Scott and White is a private hospital affiliated with the A&M med school. The OB/GYN program takes 4 each year. I think the faculty provide a well rounded experience. We have a MFM, two Oncs, two REs, and three UroGyns one of which is world renound, a PhD Embryologist who coordinates the research and around nine generalists. They are all great teachers and work well with residents.

Scott and White is building a brand new hospital that will be open in January 2007. We have a night float system for call.

Temple is a small town with a big hospital. The town is around 50,000 but S&W is a non-profit physician run HMO and hospital that serves 21 counties. There is very little traffic, very affordable housing, but not much in the way of night-life. We have a mall, a movie theater, and more restaurants are moving in recently. Austin, Waco and Killeen all have better malls, eating places and night-life, and are 20-45 min away.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Jason

Are there opportunities for childcare @ the hospitals were TX ob/gyn programs are located? I am married to another med student and we are trying to plan ahead (no kids yet but childcare in residency is a must). We love TX and are looking at TX programs for residency.

Thanks!

There isn't on-site childcare in San Antonio, but there are several daycare centers nearby. You can check the FRIEDA website - it's got a blank for both on-site and subsidized childcare.

Are there opportunities for childcare @ the hospitals were TX ob/gyn programs are located? I am married to another med student and we are trying to plan ahead (no kids yet but childcare in residency is a must). We love TX and are looking at TX programs for residency.

Thanks!

can anyone comment on the two University of Texas - Houston programs?

don't overlook the baylor college of medicine program in houston. it's a program in transition but definitely in the right direction. new interim chair who's looking for GOOD PEOPLE, solid clinicians. great set of residents. basically unlimited gyn surg numbers. plans for new 20-story birthing ctr at texas children's hospital to be completed in a few years--will be a major high-risk center once complete. already building the high-risk section of the dept. all of this in the middle of houston's texas medical center. come see for yourself... good luck with everything.

Does anyone know much about this program? are residents happy? Is the training good. Is it a DO or MD program?

Any info will be great.

Thanks

I read the reiview on scutwork but that was from 2003. Any new info will be nice. I know there are some texas people out there. :) .what have you guys heard about the program?

I've heard the residents are happy. They have a neat scheduling plan while you are on ob/gyn called team concept. You are on the same team for your residency, and you have a rotating schedule every 4 weeks with 1 week of nights q 4 weeks. You have 2 clinic days, 2 or days, and 2 L&D days each week. No 24 hour shifts while on ob/gyn - although you do have them during your off service months. I met the program director and chair at an ACOG meeting, they are both pretty nice. My source in the program says it's very family friendly. Checkout from L&D I think is at 7 pm.

Does anyone know much about this program? are residents happy? Is the training good. Is it a DO or MD program?

Any info will be great.

Thanks

It is a MD program, but JPS is affiliated with TCOM (the DO school in Fort Worth). Sorry, I cannot comment to any program specifics as I am only MSII.

Howdy from Houston! I hope this will be helpful, this is just my experience which may not be entirely objective...

I recently finished my OBGYN rotation at UT LBJ...mixed reviews from my group, a handful of really cool, fun to work with residents but the majority were intense residents that made the rotation so stressful. OB is already tough, but the residents aren't supportive and step on the weaker, nicer ones. The OB training is strong, plenty of deliveries on call, good board checkouts. Attendings are hands off, only a few will teach the students either at board checkout or conferences, but even the junior level residents don't see them very much. LBJ is also a county hospital not in the medical center.

My roommate's rotation was at St. Joseph's, which I heard was wonderful...more resident comaderie, nicer lounges and call rooms for resting and studying, and Dr. Toy's teaching which almost guarantees a high Shelf exam score. I even use notes from his lectures! The intern runs the L&D board there, which is not too busy.

The other UT program Hermann is cushier than LBJ, the attendings are more hands on and approachable, but you practice what each attending wants. Hours are less, and my friends who did their rotation at Hermann slept more during calls (at LBJ it was frowned upon for interns or students to rest/sleep on call). Hermann is also located in the medical center, right next to UT and Baylor.

UT students don't rotate at Baylor so I don't know about them.

I am in the last few days of my LBJ OB/GYN rotation, so I can give some comments, too.

I agree with the above reviewer for the most part. The main thing I learned on this rotation was how to do H&P's in Spanish. There are a few excellent residents who love to teach, but also a few quite malignant people. Lots of deliveries, but very little GYN training. As with any rotation, if you really show interest, you can learn a lot. We were on call q4 (more often than the residents). Overall, not a great rotation unless you have an interest in OB/GYN. Hermann and St. Joe's will give you the exposure you need for other specialties.

Any dish on the new UTMB-Austin program?

Any dish on the new UTMB-Austin program?

I just finished a sub-I at UTMB Austin. I have decided to apply to family, but it really wasn't their fault! ;)

Strengths: young, generally enthusiastic faculty, lots of one-one-one; large high-risk population; Austin (need I say more?); night float; small program with residents who seem to be happy and get along well--a generally very good vibe among residents.

Weaknesses: a new program without a track record for boards, fellowships, etc.; not terribly high volume (this may be considered a strength for some); very frustrating two-hospital system--one is a hospital-within-a-hospital where they deliver low risk (since there is no NICU there) and deliveries with BTL desired, since the main hospital is run by a Catholic organization and you can't do BTLs there; weirdness surrounding birth control issues in general; some faculty are still trying to prove themselves, and are spreading a bit of a malignant vibe in order to give themselves more credibility, I suppose; didactics are weak but earnestly delivered ;).

This is just my perspective from a sub-I, where I essentially did only L&D in the lower risk hospital, no surgeries, no antenatal or clinic.

I think this program has potential, and it may be a perfect fit for the more adventurous types, or self-starters who can make the most of a program that at this point probably has more weaknesses than strengths.

Anyone have an opinion re: Baylor Dallas? On their website they state OB is 6 months year 2 and I beleive 3 as well on which you are Q 3, any thoughts?

First let me say that some of the prior messages about LBJ were written from a third year perspective talking about which places are good to do a rotation at, not which would be good to do a residency. I am a fourth year at UT-H and I have done OB-gyn at both hospitals.
I agree that most of the residents at LBJ are abrasive, but I disagree about the attendings and how involved they are. The attendings at LBJ are fantastic, and they really do want to teach the willing. Dr. Yeomans specifically is amazing and can literally teach you how to deliver anything vaginally. The volume is overwhelming, and you will be autonomous by necessity.
The residents at Hermann on the other hand are absolutely amazing. They are nice, they like each other, and there is far less drama in the department among them. The attendings are also wonderful, but the volume is less. As a Hermann resident you do a few months at LBJ for Obstetrics. More C-sections and fewer (if any) forceps deliveries. This is notoriously the less malignant of the two UT programs. The competition is stiff for this program; lots of the residents are AOA.

anyone know anything about abortion training at either of the ut houston programs? there isn't anything about either one of these on the med students for choice website, and this is something very important to me in a residency program.