Texas PT School Apps 2015-2016 (PTCAS/non-PTCAS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Romazicon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During the last application cycle, a member (@luxsit90) here at SDN posted a thread for the 2014-2015 cycle that really sparked the communication between all who were looking or were applying to PT school here in Texas. I found that thread during the time that I needed confidence and advice on what to do, where to apply, and how to cope with the application processes.

I applied to three Texas schools and ended up getting accepted to all of them. I give my thanks to this forum filled with the most helpful people you could meet that are not only looking to apply themselves, but also looking to help you make decisions that can really change your life.

I signed up with the mentality of not applying that cycle. Within a month of searching here, talking with other members, and looking at past experience in the countless of pages here at SDN, I made the decision to do everything needed to apply, and it ended up being the smartest decision that I made. This forum was the beginning of my application journey.

So, in that regard, my application journey is over, but yours may just be beginning. I encourage you to search the forums and browse the sticky threads if you're looking at basic advice about low GRE, GPA, or observation questions before you ask on this thread.

If all else fails and confidence as well as information is needed, then post your thoughts here. Some of us can help you, give advice, and/or give our point of view with the application process for certain schools (especially non-PTCAS schools) and our experiences with each of them.

Heck, if it just helps to just unload everything on your mind then go for it, we understand.. oh we understand.

Best,

SDN Member

These are the following accredited programs in Texas:
Angelo State University (San Angelo, TX)
Hardin-Simmons University (Abilene, TX)
Texas State University (San Marcos, TX)
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (Lubbock, TX)
Texas Woman's University (Dallas, TX)
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (San Antonio, TX)
The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (Galveston, TX)
The University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth (Fort Worth, TX)
University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences (Austin, TX)
University of Texas El Paso (El Paso, TX)
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (Dallas, TX)
US Army-Baylor University (Fort Sam Houston, TX)

Developing Program:
University of the Incarnate Word (San Antonio, TX)
Caroline Goulet, PT, PhD
Dean
School of Physical Therapy
4301 Broadway, CPO 412
San Antonio, TX 78209-6397
Program: 210/283-6472
Email: [email protected]
First Class Graduates: 05/2015

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope others will chime in as the DPT enrollment process heats up this summer. I am a non-traditional student looking to get into UNT or TWU. I live about an hour south of the DFW metroplex and moving is not an option right now, so these are the only two schools I am applying to.
Some background: I am 29 years old and have an excellent job (news editor of a county-wide newspaper). The issue is, I just don't see myself being in the media industry long term. I am hoping that both programs look at real-world experience as a plus.
Last 60 GPA: 3.70
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70
Overall GPA: 3.10
Observation experience: currently at 130 hours, shooting for 200 by the time August is here. Have observed in in-patient, out-patient and SNF.
Undergrad is in business administration. I am finishing up my pre-requisites now with A&P II and am retaking Algebra to get a better GPA.

I was a very unmotivated student in my first two years of college (hence the 3.10 overall GPA), but have really picked up the pace the last 2.5 years. I hope the selection committees don't look at overall GPA as much as they look at pre-requisite and last 60 GPA.

Have talked to Mary Beth (TWU) and Sean (UNT) extensively over the last year, and both seem to think I have a decent shot at getting in. I'm just not too optimistic. I know I will be one of the greatest PTs to ever walk the earth if I can just get into a program. I just love being able to help people. I have yet to take the GRE. Planning to take it in the next few weeks.

Anyone have any advice on helping me get in? I'm open to suggestions...

SuperflymusicMan you have a shot. I got into UNTHSC with a sliiiiiightly higher GPA but just make sure you explain what motivated you to start your journey to get into PT school and raise your grades on your paper explaining why you want to be a PT in your application. Your awakening. I got an undergrad in marketing and did my pre reqs in community colleges because it's a cheaper route. I don't think Sean would just tell you that. The fact that you are going back to school and sacrificing a lot means a lot. Tells them you're serious and you are worth their investment. Remember they are investing a lot in you and you are going to represent their school's stats and image after you're done. So let them know you're worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anxiously waiting to apply to!

Overall GPA: 3.63
Last 60: 3.9
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8ish
GRE: 154Q 158V 3.5W :(

Extra-Curric: President's/Dean's List, tour guide, Relay for Life, fraternity, hospital volunteer, student association, retreat leader, CPR/AED certified, and worked 5 different jobs throughout college
Hours: Roughly 350 hours in a variety of settings

Schools: TWU, UTHSCSA, UNTHSC, Texas Tech, USA-Austin

Extremely bummed about my Writing score but hopefully everything else makes up for it. From what I've seen, I'm pretty average for most Texas Schools so hoping that I get in.

Last edited:
Anxiously waiting to apply to!

Overall GPA: 3.63
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8ish
GRE: 154Q 158V 3.5W :(

Extra-Curric: President's/Dean's List, tour guide, Relay for Life, fraternity, hospital volunteer, student association, retreat leader, CPR/AED certified, and worked 5 different jobs throughout college
Hours: Roughly 350 hours in a variety of settings

Schools: TWU, UTHSCSA, UNTHSC, Texas Tech, USA-Austin

Extremely bummed about my Writing score but hopefully everything else makes up for it. From what I've seen, I'm pretty average for most Texas Schools so hoping that I get in.
I'm rooting for ya. That writing score is a bummer but you're over 300 average and your observation hours are great! Any great letters of recommendation?

2 strong letters from PTs and one from a professor. I'm a bit worried about the 2 PT rec letters though. I understand that TWU wants 40 hours under each PT for a rec letter, with each PT from different facilities. My thing is that the PTs are from different facilities but it is still under the same company. Is that going to be a problem you think?

2 strong letters from PTs and one from a professor. I'm a bit worried about the 2 PT rec letters though. I understand that TWU wants 40 hours under each PT for a rec letter, with each PT from different facilities. My thing is that the PTs are from different facilities but it is still under the same company. Is that going to be a problem you think?
I think that as long as they're a PT working under a different clinical setting. In patient vs outpatient for example. Make sure you let the PT know that they want 2 different settings so they can specify their own setting on paper.

I will have rec. letters from 2 PT's and either a professor or a judge. Don't know which one to pick. Any suggestions? I really want to get into UNTHSC but I would love TWU as well. I'm just really anxious about this whole ordeal. I've sacrificed so much over the last two years to make this career switch. Everything from saving about $30,000 to down grading my car (fuel efficiency) to going back to school (23 hours just this year). If I get in, I will be extremely grateful to say the least.

Superflymusicman-- sounds like you and I are in the same boat! 29- non-trad- only applying to local schools (DFW)- are you applying to UTSW? I visited UNT-- loved it! Planning on going to the info session for TWU in a few weeks-- kind of on the fence about that one since they don't do interviews-- how did you get so many observation hours- while working?!? That's going to be my weak spot- especially hard with a one year old hahahahaha-- :)

Overall GPA: 3.65
Last 60: 3.5
Prereq: 3.8
GRE: 159Q, 160V, 4.0W
Observations: around 350 in a mix of settings! Plenty of extracurriculars and activities at UT.

Currently a student at UT Austin, going to graduate next May with two degrees in biology and exercise science. I'm dying to go to TWU in Houston but am nervous because my GPA is lower than the average. Any thoughts or comments?

Reactions: 1 user
Loksuzler, I don't have a life. That's how I've been getting hours. No, I am the news editor of a county-wide newspaper, so I can write news stories on my own time when needed. I usually take off every Thursday for observations. Been observing since August of last year. Should have 200 hours by August. Was originally shooting for 150 and Mary Beth at TWU said that since I am a non-traditional student, more hours would show that I was really interested in PT. Was looking at UTSW, but I did not ever take biology, so I wont have the pre-requisites needed for that school. I took A&P 1 and am finishing up A&P II this summer. I'm just hoping that a 3.7 is good enough to get in. I think TWU looks mainly at grades and UNT looks at more of the complete individual. Oh by the way, I have an 8 month old too. Congrats

overall gpa- 3.1
last 60hrs- 3.4
pre-req- 3.7
taking GRE end of the month!

quite the range! wish i could do something about those last 60 hrs but I blew through college in 2.5yrs and really burned out my last semester-- my post-bacc grades look good so hopefully they take that in consideration-- I also have my CSCS and a few other certifications useful in the PT field-- kudos to you on all those observation hours! I will be around 140- but I think on PTCAS you can add to the hours even after you have submitted-- not sure but I will probably continue to observe in case I don't get in this cycle--
after looking at UTSW they upped their minimum gpa to 3.4 for overall & last 60-- so that narrows it down even more!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Luck Loksuzler,
UNT is my preferred destination. TWU does have one of the top programs in the world though. I'm taking GRE at the end of the month as well. Have you been preparing for it? I haven't had time to prepare, so, not sure how well I will do.

Remember, it's not entirely where you go to school, it's what you do during and after school that matters. You are the one with the power to make yourself the best PT you can be. I'm learning that more and more during our first semester. We have a few that just want to pass and aren't worried about the stuff they "need" to know during our studies on our exams, but I study like if we're being tested on everything. It has helped me this far, and I know much more than what I anticipated just 7 weeks ago.

I applied to 6 schools in Texas in the the 2014-2015 cycle and I will be starting PT school next month at TWU Dallas. To all of you worried about hours and whatnot....worry not. I only had about 103 hours in 2 different settings and I got in to all schools I applied to. These programs look at different things. I wish you guys all the best.

I applied to 6 schools in Texas in the the 2014-2015 cycle and I will be starting PT school next month at TWU Dallas. To all of you worried about hours and whatnot....worry not. I only had about 103 hours in 2 different settings and I got in to all schools I applied to. These programs look at different things. I wish you guys all the best.
I'll be right across the street at UTSW! I'll be happy to meet if you're interested to meet with a fellow SPT! :)

I'll be right across the street at UTSW! I'll be happy to meet if you're interested to meet with a fellow SPT! :)
That would be awesome. I know you guys have already started. What has it been like so far?

That would be awesome. I know you guys have already started. What has it been like so far?
People weren't kidding how rigorous the program is. Haha! I have at least 1 exam (sometimes 2) every week since the 2nd week of school. We started with Neuroscience, Anatomy Lecture, Anatomy Cadaver Lab, Physiology, and PT Clinical Correlation (PT Lab that includes Palpations, Dermatome, Myotomes, etc.)

I'm loving cadaver lab. We have our 2nd practical tomorrow (which I should be studying, but I think I'm ready lol). We have class from 9 to 4 and we get offered "optional" (but mostly everyone attends) review sessions, supplemental labs, cadaver lab tutoring from 5-7ish almost every weekday. I like doing my school prep and extra studying in the morning so I'm on campus from 5am to 7pm Mon-Fri and 8-4ish Sat and Sun if exams are close to Monday or Tuesdays. I'm holding steady with a high A average so far, and I'm trying my best to keep it that way (although we're always told to not worry if we get Bs) by using all of my free time at school and relaxing the rest of the night after 7pm.

It's very hard, but I'm learning a ton. I can't tell you how amazed I am to know all of the origin, insertions, actions, innervations, and blood supply of the upper extremity and head (including cranial nerves). I like how each class correlates with each other (even our palpation course), so if we're learning about cranial nerves in Neuro, we're dissecting it in anatomy lab, and reviewing them in anatomy lecture, with a bit of the physiology in phys. It's so cool!

It's also very awesome that everyone in our class are very intelligent which makes the conversations on or off-topic very fun (and very nerdy and full of anatomy puns!!!). We take classes with PA and PO students so building an interprofessional relationship with them is also very cool.

We finish the semester in less than 30 days! Time flies.

Last edited:
Ishadpt,
If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats and what made you pick TWU Dallas over UNTHSC in Fort Worth?

Hey guys. I'm starting at TWU Dallas next month and this thread really helped me. If you have any questions, please ask!

Luxsit90,
What were your stats? I will have about a 3.70 last 60 GPA and a 3.65 Math and Science GPA. Around 200 hours of observation at 4 different settings. Just wondering if my GPA will good enough.

Luxsit90,
What were your stats? I will have about a 3.70 last 60 GPA and a 3.65 Math and Science GPA. Around 200 hours of observation at 4 different settings. Just wondering if my GPA will good enough.

So I had a 4.0 in my last 60 hours and a 3.96 overall. I double majored in psych and classical humanities from the University of Missouri. On my GRE, I got 152 on Q, 162 V and 5.5 on AW. For observations, I had about 300 hours in acute care and outpatient.

But honestly, I think the thing that got me in was my essay. That's what you clinch them with. I wrote about how my childhood horse I used to volunteer with at a hippotherapy center died and how that has motivated me to go into PT so I can set up hippotherapy centers around the world.

Do some research. For TWU, Google Hearts in Motion and try and incorporate that into your essay.

Hope this helps!

Hey guys,

I'm a current first year at TTUHSC. Let me know if you have any questions about the program or app process! Good luck! :)

I'm looking at TWU's DPT Requirements and it says they "Don't accept labs online." Does anyone know exactly what that means? I'm taking PHYSICS II online, although for the lab portion, we had to buy a lab kit and perform labs hands-on still. Will they still accept this? Also, are there any other Texas DPT schools that have this requirement of "No Online Labs"?

I'm looking at TWU's DPT Requirements and it says they "Don't accept labs online." Does anyone know exactly what that means? I'm taking PHYSICS II online, although for the lab portion, we had to buy a lab kit and perform labs hands-on still. Will they still accept this? Also, are there any other Texas DPT schools that have this requirement of "No Online Labs"?
It is my understanding that all labs have to be taken in person at an institution. I too took online classes, but I went to the college to physically do the labs.

Ishadpt,
If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats and what made you pick TWU Dallas over UNTHSC in Fort Worth?
Sorry for the late reply.
4.0 GPA overall from UTA.
GREV: 153
GREW: 5.5
GREQ: 157
GRE scores were good but not good enough for TWU early decision.

I wish you all the best. Proof read that essay, get hours in different settings. In my experience, schools seemed to look at diversity vs quantity of observations hours (103 hours total). At the end of the day I think I picked TWU because its been around longer than UNTHSC.

Hello all,

I am a senior at UH approaching my application date for FALL 2016. It's my dream to graduate as a DPT from TWU. Some things I'm hesitant about are my Physics grades..I got a C in 1401 and the professor I'm taking now for 1402 really does not know how to teach..I want to learn the subject and physics is really interesting but I'm just bummed if my effort doesn't make up for what I'm lacking..a good professor. Anyway, I know that everything doesn't rely on GPA but it is TWU and they are competitive. As of now, my cum GPA is 3.7 =/ my science gpa is 2.8 without this physics 2 grade. How does this look for anyone who has gone through the application process and been accepted...
I'm thinking great PT recommendations and lots of observation hours..

Help!
& Thanks a lot for replying

Hello all,

I am a senior at UH approaching my application date for FALL 2016. It's my dream to graduate as a DPT from TWU. Some things I'm hesitant about are my Physics grades..I got a C in 1401 and the professor I'm taking now for 1402 really does not know how to teach..I want to learn the subject and physics is really interesting but I'm just bummed if my effort doesn't make up for what I'm lacking..a good professor. Anyway, I know that everything doesn't rely on GPA but it is TWU and they are competitive. As of now, my cum GPA is 3.7 =/ my science gpa is 3.0 without this physics 2 grade. How does this look for anyone who has gone through the application process and been accepted...
I'm thinking great PT recommendations and lots of observation hours..

Help!
& Thanks a lot for replying
Unfortunately, I would suggest you bring the C up with a re-take. I understand about bad professors; it has happened to me on numerous occasions. What did I do? I read the textbook and taught myself in addition to the lectures and just powered through. I did that with Biology 1, and Chemistry 1 when I took them both together during a summer semester (both professors didn't want to be there for sure). I know it sucks, but it's do-able! Your Cum GPA is good, but I'm a bit concerned about your science GPA.

Yes, great PT letters is a way to make it up, but I would say that you should observe in diverse settings (at least 3 different ones) in order to be considered competitive. I got into TWU with 40 hrs in acute care, 20 in peds, and 300 in outpatient ortho (as a tech job). And don't forget about the GRE. Make sure to take it seriously (as much as I disliked that exam).

My own two cents.

What are ya'lls thoughts on St. Augustine, Austin?

Just got an e-mail this morning inviting me to interview at Hardin-Simmons! Anyone else interviewing there? Also, it says "we will begin offering seats following each interview "... Does that mean you have to decide whether to accept right then if offered? I hope not haha

Just got an e-mail this morning inviting me to interview at Hardin-Simmons! Anyone else interviewing there? Also, it says "we will begin offering seats following each interview "... Does that mean you have to decide whether to accept right then if offered? I hope not haha
I'm sure you can accept the offer of reserving the seat for you, but you can then inform them that you want to decline the initial offer if you get into another school that's your top choice. But don't mention that in the interview haha.

Hey guys,

I'm a current first year at TTUHSC. Let me know if you have any questions about the program or app process! Good luck! :)

Hi, thanks for the offer. TTUHSC is my first choice. Would you mind sharing your stats?

Is anyone else interviewing at UTMB Galveston this Friday (9/11)? Or anyone who's interviewed there in the past have any tips/advice on what to expect?

Is anyone else interviewing at UTMB Galveston this Friday (9/11)? Or anyone who's interviewed there in the past have any tips/advice on what to expect?
When did you submit your application for UTMB?

I e-submitted the PTCAS app on 8/7, it was verified and GPAs calculated a week later (8/14), and actually mailed and received by schools about a week after that. I heard from UTMB about the interview a few days later on 8/25.

Hi, thanks for the offer. TTUHSC is my first choice. Would you mind sharing your stats?

Hi shihauld!

Not a problem.
My stats were as follows:

B.S (Major in Health Science/Minor in Psych) at Sam Houston State University
Overall gpa: 3.8
Pre-req gpa: I think around a 3.5/3.6
GRE: 152V 156Q 5.0AW
400hours observation (between outpatient ortho and inpatient rehab)

Extra-Curric: NCAA Div 1 Tennis player for 4 years. Participated in on campus health promotion events, and organised/participated in several off campus promotion/charity events. International student.

Interviewed at TTUHSC: 9/26.
Acceptance letter received: 10/14

Hope this helps!

Hi guys, I'm so happy I found this thread!! Congrats to everybody who has gotten an interview :)
I applied last year to Texas Tech, UTHSCA, TWU, UTMB, and UNT. I got a interview at Texas Tech and UTHSCA but ended up being denied from all the schools.
My Stats:
3.7 Cumulative GPA
3.7 60 hour GPA
3.6 pre-req GPA
GRE 1st attempt: 149 V, 147 Q, 2 AW
2nd attempt: 147 V, 148 Q, 3 AW
520 observation hours (nursing home, out-patient and pediatrics)

The only thing that really changed from my previous application to this current one is that I volunteered 400 hours this summer (went from 120 to 520). Not sure if this will help boost my competitiveness.. but worth a try.

Sent in my re-application to Texas Tech last week and will send in my application for, Hardin-Simmons, UIW, UTHSCA, UNT,UT-El paso, Belmont, Alabama State, and St. Augustine.

Do you guys think I have a better chance this time around, I'm crazy nervous right now ;/. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

During the last application cycle, a member (@luxsit90) here at SDN posted a thread for the 2014-2015 cycle that really sparked the communication between all who were looking or were applying to PT school here in Texas. I found that thread during the time that I needed confidence and advice on what to do, where to apply, and how to cope with the application processes.

I applied to three Texas schools and ended up getting accepted to all of them. I give my thanks to this forum filled with the most helpful people you could meet that are not only looking to apply themselves, but also looking to help you make decisions that can really change your life.

I signed up with the mentality of not applying that cycle. Within a month of searching here, talking with other members, and looking at past experience in the countless of pages here at SDN, I made the decision to do everything needed to apply, and it ended up being the smartest decision that I made. This forum was the beginning of my application journey.

So, in that regard, my application journey is over, but yours may just be beginning. I encourage you to search the forums and browse the sticky threads if you're looking at basic advice about low GRE, GPA, or observation questions before you ask on this thread.

If all else fails and confidence as well as information is needed, then post your thoughts here. Some of us can help you, give advice, and/or give our point of view with the application process for certain schools (especially non-PTCAS schools) and our experiences with each of them.

Heck, if it just helps to just unload everything on your mind then go for it, we understand.. oh we understand.

Best,

SDN Member

These are the following accredited programs in Texas:
Angelo State University (San Angelo, TX)
Hardin-Simmons University (Abilene, TX)
Texas State University (San Marcos, TX)
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (Lubbock, TX)
Texas Woman's University (Dallas, TX)
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (San Antonio, TX)
The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (Galveston, TX)
The University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth (Fort Worth, TX)
University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences (Austin, TX)
University of Texas El Paso (El Paso, TX)
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (Dallas, TX)
US Army-Baylor University (Fort Sam Houston, TX)

Developing Program:
University of the Incarnate Word (San Antonio, TX)
Caroline Goulet, PT, PhD
Dean
School of Physical Therapy
4301 Broadway, CPO 412
San Antonio, TX 78209-6397
Program: 210/283-6472
Email: [email protected]
First Class Graduates: 05/2015
Hi, I'm an out of state student applying to Angelo State. Did you apply there as well? If so, do you mind telling me about their program?
Thanks!

I'm so glad I found this thread. I live here in Texas too and I'm applying as we speak. If all works out my applications would be completed by the end of this month. I'm basically applying to all the schools in Texas but I am very worried that my stats are too low to be considered competitive. I am really stressed out and am very worried about my applications. Any insight or advice would be great.
My stats:
3.1 cumulative GPA
3.2 last 60 hrs GPA
3.1 Pre req GPA
taking gre next week
about 130 hours (100 in outpatient ortho, 30 pediatrics)

Theres the PTCAS deadline and the "priority deadline" for UNTHSC and UTHSCSA, I'm asking if I'll still be okay with submitting around this time (Sept 11ish) and still meet that priority deadline since my PTCAs application is submitted before October 1st?

Last edited:
Anyone know if UIW is a good school? I'm aiming to apply there. My community college has an associates based on there prerequisites.

Texas Tech interview first week of October!! I just got a call this morning. Feeling very excited.

Hi shihauld!
Interviewed at TTUHSC: 9/26.
Acceptance letter received: 10/14

Hope this helps!

***, I was just offered a slot to interview at Tech the first week of October. Any advice for preparing? Also, I know it's been a while but would you mind running through what the interview was like?

Has anyone heard back from Texas tech for interviews or are they still calling people?

***, I was just offered a slot to interview at Tech the first week of October. Any advice for preparing? Also, I know it's been a while but would you mind running through what the interview was like?
What were your stats if i may ask?

Reactions: 1 users
How was your interview at Galveston?

Hey shihalud. Congrats on the interview! Techs interview is generally very laid back in comparison to other schools. Very conversational, nothing that really requires preparation, so long as you are yourself and relax. Which campus are you interviewing at?