Texas PT School Apps 2015-2016 (PTCAS/non-PTCAS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UTSW has interviews early January. I haven't heard anything from UNT but I did apply past their "preferred" submission date.

Ok thanks! Me too. But both sites said rolling and no one seemed to be posting about either program so I wasn't sure if it was just me!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone hear from UTHSCA this week with an invitation to interview??

Members don't see this ad :)
Those who got accepted to TWU Dallas, did you also apply to UTSW? Will yall still attend the interview on Jan 11th?

Those who got accepted to TWU Dallas, did you also apply to UTSW? Will yall still attend the interview on Jan 11th?
You had to formally accept at TWU-Dallas by Jan 15. With that date in mind, I decided that I wouldn't bother with any more interviews and just let TWU know that I was IN! I only applied at UNTHSC and TWU. Never got an interview at UNTHSC. I think they are still interviewing, but I knew whoever wanted me first would get me. I'm just grateful to be accepted. And, TWU has continually had one of the top PT Programs in the state for decades.

You had to formally accept at TWU-Dallas by Jan 15. With that date in mind, I decided that I wouldn't bother with any more interviews and just let TWU know that I was IN! I only applied at UNTHSC and TWU. Never got an interview at UNTHSC. I think they are still interviewing, but I knew whoever wanted me first would get me. I'm just grateful to be accepted. And, TWU has continually had one of the top PT Programs in the state for decades.

How did you hear that UNTHSC is still interviewing?

How did you hear that UNTHSC is still interviewing?
Well, I guess I dont know for sure. I attended UNT's application interview session in the summer. They said that round one would be in November, and I've learned from this forum that round 2 is in January. The lady hosting the application session said that they typically have three rounds. So just assuming that there will be a third. But, I guess if they don't need a third, there wont be one.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations!! Do you mind posting your stats??
Thanks!
GPA: 3.75 cumulative, about the same or slightly lower pre-req, 3.9+ last 60
GRE: 158Q, 168V, 4.0AW
About 250 observation/volunteer hours in 5 settings

Last week I emailed UNT and asked for an update on where they are on admission process and got a reply back yesterday. Here is what she said:
Applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted by email. Applicants who are not selected to interview will be notified by email no later than February 28, 2016. We are still reviewing applications and have 2 more interview days for this cycle.

Congratulations to those accepted into the UTHSCSA DPT program!:soexcited:We're excited to have you as part of our family. Expect a Facebook group invitation to join for the class of 2019. Get ready to become doctors!

Just got on the alternate list at UT-EL Paso! :unsure:.. Anybody else hear from UTEP or know how many they take of the alternate list?:shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got rejected :(
do you mind me asking for your stats?

Sure,
Overall & last 60 hour GPA: 3.7
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.6
GRE: 147 V, 148 Q, 3 AW
20o hours in two outpatient settings, 60 in a skilled nursing facility, & 250 in a Pediatric setting

What were your stats? I'm sorry of the outcome :(. Did you hear back from other schools?

I got on the alternate list at UT-El Paso also!

Had an interview at utmb a couple hours ago, and already got an email that I was wait listed. Did that happen to anyone else?

Texas_12: that happened to me too! I got a waitlist email like 2 hours after my interview finished XD

Would anyone accepted to UTHSCSA be willing to post their stats? Thanks!

University: University of Texas at Austin
Major: Double major in Biology and Exercise Science, Business Minor

Overall GPA: 3.63
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 161 V 161 Q 5.0 AW

Extra Curricular: 4000+ hours: Marching band, club water polo, service organizations (Texas Orange Jackets), founder of student org

Observation: 400+ hours in 5 settings

Denied my UTHSCSA acceptance to go to TWU!

Thanks. I'm trying to gauge whether I should retake the GRE or not based on accepted student's scores. Got a 161 verbal but only a 154 quant.

Anybody else?

Thanks. I'm trying to gauge whether I should retake the GRE or not based on accepted student's scores. Got a 161 verbal but only a 154 quant.

Anybody else?
How are the other aspects of your application? I would say if you're above a 310 theres no benefit to retaking unless you're trying to use the GRE to make up for GPA, hours, etc

How are the other aspects of your application? I would say if you're above a 310 theres no benefit to retaking unless you're trying to use the GRE to make up for GPA, hours, etc
They're good. 4.0, lots of different settings, solid EC's. Its just that 154 on quant is only the 56th percentile, which doesn't look very good, it may even look bad.

University: University of Texas at Austin
Major: Double major in Biology and Exercise Science, Business Minor

Overall GPA: 3.63
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 161 V 161 Q 5.0 AW

Extra Curricular: 4000+ hours: Marching band, club water polo, service organizations (Texas Orange Jackets), founder of student org

Observation: 400+ hours in 5 settings

Denied my UTHSCSA acceptance to go to TWU!
Are you going to TWU-Dallas or TWU-Houston? I was accepted into the Dallas branch.

Does anyone have info, or admission updates, from UIW? I am wondering roughly how many interview dates they'll offer now that their deadline has passed. Of course this is difficult to determine, but I figured someone might be able to chime in with experience from prior cycles.

DPTtoB I know there is an interview date on January 23rd.

If you don't mind me asking, did you receive an email or a phone call?
I got a phone call from my interviewer on Tuesday and receive an email from Sandra this afternoon with all paper work and official offer.

Sure,
Overall & last 60 hour GPA: 3.7
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.6
GRE: 147 V, 148 Q, 3 AW
20o hours in two outpatient settings, 60 in a skilled nursing facility, & 250 in a Pediatric setting

What were your stats? I'm sorry of the outcome :(. Did you hear back from other schools?

Overall: 3.5
Last 60: 3.7
Pre requisite: 3.47
GRE: 146 V, 146 Q, 3 AW
200 hours in three different settings

Has anyone who was place on UTMB's waitlist heard back from them yet? Also, has anyone heard anything from Hardin-Simmons or UTSW?

Has anyone who was place on UTMB's waitlist heard back from them yet? Also, has anyone heard anything from Hardin-Simmons or UTSW?
UTSW has informed admitted students from the interview. I'm sure as the next two weeks pass they will inform those who are off the waitlist.

My UTMB interviewer said we should hear back sometime in January, so hopefully in the next 2 weeks they'll let us know.

Any current DPT students willing to share some advice? I'm an out-of-stater who will be relocating to Dallas for PT school and for my husband's work. I've been accepted to both TWU-Dallas and UTSW physical therapy programs. I'm extremely torn between deciding which school to attend.
After interviewing at UTSW, I felt like I was already a part of something. Having a current DPT student lead us around for the day was a great opportunity to ask questions and feel the energy of other students and their interactions. The interview with a professor, who was genuinely interested in getting to know us, followed by a phone call from that same professor made me feel like the school truly cared about its future class. The interview day was so organized and went by smoothly.

As for TWU, I'm unable to attend the accepted students forum in Dallas on January 30 as it would require me to miss more time off work and another plane ticket/hotel. However, I was able to have a tour of the facilities in early January. No students were around so I wasn't able to personally talk with them. TWU has been awesome about exchanging email addresses of current students, and I have been able to correspond that way. They have been prompt in responding and have been so honest and nice. Their facilities were fabulous. The only down side was that their gym was a box (literally not much space).

UTSW is considered an accelerated program which starts in May with commencement in December 2018. TWU would start in late August with commencement in the Spring of 2019. TWU is ranked higher, has brand new facilities, and has its own cadaver lab. UTSW has clinics located within its own building which allows for frequent observation. Both schools are located in the same area. I really don't think I could choose wrong as both schools seem impressive. But that's part of the problem!!!! Help!! I think I'm torn because I feel such a connection to UTSW because I was able to interact with current students and faculty. However, I don't want to devaluate TWU. I may have experienced similar feelings if I was able to attend the forum. Any insight or similar experiences? How did you make your final decision? Thanks so much in advance!

Any current DPT students willing to share some advice? I'm an out-of-stater who will be relocating to Dallas for PT school and for my husband's work. I've been accepted to both TWU-Dallas and UTSW physical therapy programs. I'm extremely torn between deciding which school to attend.
After interviewing at UTSW, I felt like I was already a part of something. Having a current DPT student lead us around for the day was a great opportunity to ask questions and feel the energy of other students and their interactions. The interview with a professor, who was genuinely interested in getting to know us, followed by a phone call from that same professor made me feel like the school truly cared about its future class. The interview day was so organized and went by smoothly.

As for TWU, I'm unable to attend the accepted students forum in Dallas on January 30 as it would require me to miss more time off work and another plane ticket/hotel. However, I was able to have a tour of the facilities in early January. No students were around so I wasn't able to personally talk with them. TWU has been awesome about exchanging email addresses of current students, and I have been able to correspond that way. They have been prompt in responding and have been so honest and nice. Their facilities were fabulous. The only down side was that their gym was a box (literally not much space).

UTSW is considered an accelerated program which starts in May with commencement in December 2018. TWU would start in late August with commencement in the Spring of 2019. TWU is ranked higher, has brand new facilities, and has its own cadaver lab. UTSW has clinics located within its own building which allows for frequent observation. Both schools are located in the same area. I really don't think I could choose wrong as both schools seem impressive. But that's part of the problem!!!! Help!! I think I'm torn because I feel such a connection to UTSW because I was able to interact with current students and faculty. However, I don't want to devaluate TWU. I may have experienced similar feelings if I was able to attend the forum. Any insight or similar experiences? How did you make your final decision? Thanks so much in advance!
Hello,
I have made my decision. TWU-Dallas bound. I could be wrong, but I thought you had to make a decision at TWU by Jan. 15th to be considered... I only applied to UNT and TWU, so I can't speak about UTSW. But, TWU has been nothing but great to me from day one from looking into DPT schools (which was like 2 years ago). If you aren't a current Texas resident. I'd strongly look at cost as a high factor. Although you will move here, all the forums I have read on residency say that you still wont be considered a Texan until well after graduation. Meaning you'll be looking at out-of-state tuition for the entire program. I hope I'm wrong, but thats just what I've heard.
I think TWU is a few grand more per year in state tuition. But, with that being said, I'd love to have you as a class mate. I have not toured the facilities yet at TWU, just have had great communication with Mary Beth at TWU. Anyways, I hope you have peace with your decision.

Accepted a spot into UT-El Paso's DPT program! Cant find any of future classmates ;(. Anybody on here going to be part of the UTEP class of 2018? Would love to connect with you :). Feel free to message me or reply to this thread. :)

Hello,
I have made my decision. TWU-Dallas bound. I could be wrong, but I thought you had to make a decision at TWU by Jan. 15th to be considered... I only applied to UNT and TWU, so I can't speak about UTSW. But, TWU has been nothing but great to me from day one from looking into DPT schools (which was like 2 years ago). If you aren't a current Texas resident. I'd strongly look at cost as a high factor. Although you will move here, all the forums I have read on residency say that you still wont be considered a Texan until well after graduation. Meaning you'll be looking at out-of-state tuition for the entire program. I hope I'm wrong, but thats just what I've heard.
I think TWU is a few grand more per year in state tuition. But, with that being said, I'd love to have you as a class mate. I have not toured the facilities yet at TWU, just have had great communication with Mary Beth at TWU. Anyways, I hope you have peace with your decision.

Yeah I asked them about the deadline, and they told me to just "accept" the offer and if I changed my mind I needed to let them know. Ugh! Thanks so much for your response!

But, TWU has been nothing but great to me from day one from looking into DPT schools (which was like 2 years ago). If you aren't a current Texas resident. I'd strongly look at cost as a high factor. Although you will move here, all the forums I have read on residency say that you still wont be considered a Texan until well after graduation. Meaning you'll be looking at out-of-state tuition for the entire program. I hope I'm wrong, but thats just what I've heard.
I'm an out-of-state PT student at TWU and we were all able to get TX residency with in state tuition after living here for one year. Before that, TWU gave most, if not all, of us out-of-state students scholarships for in state tuition, so I've been able to pay in state tuition for the entire program.

I'm an out-of-state PT student at TWU and we were all able to get TX residency with in state tuition after living here for one year. Before that, TWU gave most, if not all, of us out-of-state students scholarships for in state tuition, so I've been able to pay in state tuition for the entire program.
That's good to know. I don't think most programs would be that generous.

That sounds like good news--interview?

Yea, she gave me an option of Jan. 29 or Feb. 12

Anyone have any insight on the UNT interview? Anything about it would be helpful!

Last edited:
Has anyone been accepted to UTMB recently?

Has anyone that was placed on TTUHSC wait list heard anything back from them yet?