Texas Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FCIllini

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any word from the Texas schools or are we going to have to wait a couple days for a letter?

Members don't see this ad.

FCIllini said:
Any word from the Texas schools or are we going to have to wait a couple days for a letter?

I just posted the same question up higher, but no one is biting. :scared:

here's the deal with texas: SA and Baylor mailed out their letters today (12/1). they WON'T let you know over the phone. i don't know about houston. SA letters typically come on the 2nd or 3rd. Baylor takes its sweet ass time and could take up to a week. Either way, in about a week, you will be able to find out your status over the phone.

hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
houston mailed out today also. but they email you too

monkey d. luffy said:
houston mailed out today also. but they email you too

Have you received an e-mail from Houston?

San Antonio called me bright and early this AM. They also mentioned that they were sending my acceptance in the mail. Don't know about Houston or Baylor. Good Luck!! :D

orthofem said:
San Antonio called me bright and early this AM. They also mentioned that they were sending my acceptance in the mail. Don't know about Houston or Baylor. Good Luck!! :D

Congratulations!! Do you live in San Antonio?

As for Houston, I just called and they said they're only notifying via postal mail - no phone call, no e-mail, just the good ole' US postal service.

i didn't get a call :(

vipergts66 said:
i didn't get a call :(

Viper - do you live in San Antonio? I believe UTSA only calls those accepted who LIVE in San Antonio.

FCIllini said:
Viper - do you live in San Antonio? I believe UTSA only calls those accepted who LIVE in San Antonio.

i live in austin...close enough i say

deebog01 said:
I live in San Antonio. I got a letter but no call. Give it a day or so. It was potmarked Nov 30th.

Good Luck,
Dan

hey deebog why do you think you got in this year and did not last year? Does applying a second time help? or is it because you did higher on ur dats? congrats man i know this must mean alot to you to get to stay in san antonio im really happy for you... im hoping to hear from any of the 3 schools soon.

overall: 3.29
sci: 3.47
20/21/17

Members don't see this ad :)
FCIllini said:
Congratulations!! Do you live in San Antonio?

As for Houston, I just called and they said they're only notifying via postal mail - no phone call, no e-mail, just the good ole' US postal service.

I received a congratulatory phone call from San Antonio (Dr. Thomas) this morning....and no, I'm not from San Antonio. I live 6 hours from San Antonio.

I also received a congratulatory e-mail from Houston (Dr. Pierpont) this afternoon.

I haven't heard from Baylor yet.

Vitae said:
I received a congratulatory phone call from San Antonio (Dr. Thomas) this morning....and no, I'm not from San Antonio. I live 6 hours from San Antonio.

I also received a congratulatory e-mail from Houston (Dr. Pierpont) this afternoon.

I haven't heard from Baylor yet.

why does that sound so random? are they just calling random people on the list?...i certainly didn't receive any phone calls from texas schools today :(

r0entgen said:
why does that sound so random? are they just calling random people on the list?...i certainly didn't receive any phone calls from texas schools today :(

Well, this is the first round of acceptances. If you didn't hear from San Antonio today (phone call) or Houston (e-mail), the possibility is that you're not in the first round of acceptances.

Another possibility is that "officially" they're only contacting people via postal mail, but unofficially took the liberty today to contact select students they really want to make a concerted effort to persuade toward their school. So don't be discouraged...you may get that letter in the mail.

Vitae said:
Well, this is the first round of acceptances. If you didn't hear from San Antonio today (phone call) or Houston (e-mail), the possibility is that you're not in the first round of acceptances.

maybe, but it seems like you're the only non-SA resident who received a phone call..and a few other SA residents received one too...

Vitae said:

Another possibility is that "officially" they're only contacting people via postal mail, but unofficially took the liberty today to contact select students they really want to make a concerted effort to persuade toward their school. So don't be discouraged...you may get that letter in the mail.

I was in contact with both San Antonio & Houston today. San Antonio specifically said you had to wait for the US Postal service (but I have heard that Dr. Thomas will contact students who live in San Antonio - apparently this has changed somewhat).

As for Houston, they told me that you had to wait for the mail to arrive. Again, I'm sure Dr. Pierpont may e-mail certain people.

I have a hard time believing that if you didn't hear from either school TODAY that you are not in the first round. I think the majority of Dec. 1st acceptances will still be received through regular mail.

FCIllini said:
I was in contact with both San Antonio & Houston today. San Antonio specifically said you had to wait for the US Postal service (but I have heard that Dr. Thomas will contact students who live in San Antonio - apparently this has changed somewhat).

As for Houston, they told me that you had to wait for the mail to arrive. Again, I'm sure Dr. Pierpont may e-mail certain people.

I have a hard time believing that if you didn't hear from either school TODAY that you are not in the first round. I think the majority of Dec. 1st acceptances will still be received through regular mail.

i second that... i doubt they call all their first round of acceptances... mailing it all is probably time consuming enough...

FCIllini said:

I clearly stated that possibility in my previous post. I'm just contributing the information I personally know to this thread.

I know I am not from San Antonio, and I know Dr. Thomas called me bright and early this morning to congratulate me.

I also know this afternoon Dr. Pierpont from Houston e-mailed me to congratulate me.

Whoever you talked to at Houston (Mrs. Rivera?) is probably instructed to give panicked students that call on Dec. 1 the standard "we only contact accepted students via postal mail" answer, but clearly Houston does contact students via e-mail. And San Antonio does call students that don't live in San Antonio.

Vitae said:
I clearly stated that possibility in my previous post. I'm just contributing the information I personally know to this thread.

I know I am not from San Antonio, and I know Dr. Thomas called me bright and early this morning to congratulate me.

I also know this afternoon Dr. Pierpont from Houston e-mailed me to congratulate me.

Whoever you talked to at Houston (Mrs. Rivera?) is probably instructed to give panicked students that call on Dec. 1 the standard "we only contact accepted students via postal mail" answer, but clearly Houston does contact students via e-mail. And San Antonio does call students that don't live in San Antonio.

well aren't you special then. :cool:

r0entgen said:
well aren't you special then. :cool:

I'm relieved. Best of luck to you tomorrow.

I didn't receive a call from SA yesterday, but I received an email from Dean of Houston. I think we should be patient for few more days. Good luck everyone from TX.

Vitae said:
I'm relieved. Best of luck to you tomorrow.

Again:

deebog01 said:
I live in San Antonio. I got a letter but no call. Give it a day or so. It was potmarked Nov 30th.

Good Luck,
Dan

They don't call everyone, and the letters just went out. Good luck to everyone! If you're going to SA, let me know... I'll be there.

-Dan

deebog01 said:
Again:

They don't call everyone, and the letters just went out. Good luck to everyone! If you're going to SA, let me know... I'll be there.

-Dan

im in! im in! thanks for everything dan you the man... hahaha im so happy!

tonydds said:

congratulations! in where...?

tonydds said:

Hey! Congratulations! But remember what the letter said: They have to do criminal background checks... So don't get carried away with the ol' celebration this evening! But have a damn good time!

-Dan

deebog01 said:
Hey! Congratulations! But remember what the letter said: They have to do criminal background checks... So don't get carried away with the ol' celebration this evening! But have a damn good time!

-Dan

Oh wow.... that was my 100th post! Quck, someone congratulate me!

deebog01 said:
o sorry forgot to say where... i got into san antonio

accepted to san antonio...but holding out for Baylor...anyone heard from Baylor???

I actually was contacted via email by Dr. P, boy was I relieved :) .
Good luck to everyone and enjoy the holidays..

I live 35 min. from Baylor, and the letter came in today. It's post-marked for the 1st so just give it time. USPS is slow!

congrats to everyone (future colleagues)! I got into Houston! yay... good luck everyone! :)

deebog01 said:
Congrats on you 100th post! :clap:

I am Texas. :cool: I hear nothing from no one. :eek: I am going to cry. May I ask how you stats are ? :idea:

monkey d. luffy said:
I live 35 min. from Baylor, and the letter came in today. It's post-marked for the 1st so just give it time. USPS is slow!

I live about 45 min. away from Dallas , and I got a letter from Baylor today! Weeeeeeeee! :D

Well, I finally received the infamous acceptance e-mail from Dr. Pierpont. This feels great. Good luck to everyone!!

i get no email from Dr. P. :smuggrin: but congradulatons to you . :D

my mail didn't come today!! this is driving me crazy :mad:

ive been talking with a few of my friends that got into the texas schools in the previous cycles... alot of them did not get acceptance letters on dec 1st through the 3rd... they got it from mid to end of dec and is still considered first round (of course because 2nd round is in january) so if you haven't recieved anything there is alot of time left. Remember that Texas dental schools accept 260 between all three schools and interview about 300 (they interview the same pool so its not like 300 different applicants per school). So your chances increase if you've recieved an interview and increases more with multiple interviews. So congrats to all who have recieved acceptances and good luck to those who are still waiting for their acceptance letters.

Did anyone get scholarship from Baylor? Is it just for the 1st year?

tonydds said:
ive been talking with a few of my friends that got into the texas schools in the previous cycles... alot of them did not get acceptance letters on dec 1st through the 3rd... they got it from mid to end of dec and is still considered first round (of course because 2nd round is in january) so if you haven't recieved anything there is alot of time left. Remember that Texas dental schools accept 260 between all three schools and interview about 300 (they interview the same pool so its not like 300 different applicants per school). So your chances increase if you've recieved an interview and increases more with multiple interviews. So congrats to all who have recieved acceptances and good luck to those who are still waiting for their acceptance letters.

thanks tonydds, that is good to know :thumbup:

So I live in Dallas, applied at all Texas schools and nothing... my sister, all 3 (she's been accepted to SA).

But now I'm thinking, if 300 were interviewed and the 3 schools interviewed basically the same people do you think there's a chance they will invite others (i.e. me) for an interview?

I've been accepted to Case and Tufts, which is awesome but saving that 100k would be even cooler.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

JMoney said:
So I live in Dallas, applied at all Texas schools and nothing... my sister, all 3 (she's been accepted to SA).

But now I'm thinking, if 300 were interviewed and the 3 schools interviewed basically the same people do you think there's a chance they will invite others (i.e. me) for an interview?

I've been accepted to Case and Tufts, which is awesome but saving that 100k would be even cooler.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

you know i don't know how anything is working this year. i interviewed with SA and Baylor really early...but haven't heard a peep out of Houston.

Congrats to all that have been accepted!

Here is what I have to say. . . .

Each of us basically knows our #1 school of choice. IF YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED TO YOUR SCHOOL OF CHOICE, please go ahead accept your #1 choice and let the other schools know so they can send out more letters and make everyone's X-Mas as special as yours.

There are lots of applicants who have not heard and I think it would be wrong/selfish of anyone to sit and collect letters when they already know where they want to go.

PLEASE DO THIS AND BE RESPECTFUL.

bbaker said:
Congrats to all that have been accepted!

Here is what I have to say. . . .

Each of us basically knows our #1 school of choice. IF YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED TO YOUR SCHOOL OF CHOICE, please go ahead accept your #1 choice and let the other schools know so they can send out more letters and make everyone's X-Mas as special as yours.

There are lots of applicants who have not heard and I think it would be wrong/selfish of anyone to sit and collect letters when they already know where they want to go.

PLEASE DO THIS AND BE RESPECTFUL.

I'm sorry, but while some may think you're coming across as being friendly, I see you as coming across as a busy body. I have currently been accepted at all three Texas schools. I have a tough decision to make and may very well take as much time as possible to make that decision. I worked hard to get to this point, and I want to make the right choice. Sure, I have a school that currently is my first choice school, but the gap between my first choice and second and third choice schools is very small. There is still plenty of time next month for people to get accepted in the second round. Right now, I'll probably hold the three acceptances until I'm ready to make a firm decision. Sorry, but that's the way it is, and in no way is that being disrespectful. You posting a message requesting people to hurry up and make a decision so others can maybe get their acceptance is what is disrespectful.

Vitae said:
I'm sorry, but while some may think you're coming across as being friendly, I see you as coming across as being a very selfish person. I have currently been accepted at all three Texas schools. I have a tough decision to make and may very well take as much time as possible to make that decision. I worked hard to get to this point, and I want to make the right choice. Sure, I have a school that currently is my first choice school, but the gap between my first choice and second and third choice schools is very small. There is still plenty of time next month for people to get accepted in the second round. Right now, I'll probably hold the three acceptances until I'm ready to make a firm decision. Sorry, but that's the way it is, and in no way is that being disrespectful. You posting a message requesting people to hurry up and make a decision so others can maybe get their acceptance is what is disrespectful.

Congrats on 3 acceptance. Can you list the reasons why you can't decide! May be we can help you make the decision. Nice thing about this network, is that students can give you different theorys on why which school is number 1.

I am not trying to be disrespectful, just trying to helpful.

HD

Vitae said:
I'm sorry, but while some may think you're coming across as being friendly, I see you as coming across as a busy body. I have currently been accepted at all three Texas schools. I have a tough decision to make and may very well take as much time as possible to make that decision. I worked hard to get to this point, and I want to make the right choice. Sure, I have a school that currently is my first choice school, but the gap between my first choice and second and third choice schools is very small. There is still plenty of time next month for people to get accepted in the second round. Right now, I'll probably hold the three acceptances until I'm ready to make a firm decision. Sorry, but that's the way it is, and in no way is that being disrespectful. You posting a message requesting people to hurry up and make a decision so others can maybe get their acceptance is what is disrespectful.

I don't think he is pushing you and meant to say "hurry up so we have a chance". It is a very hard decision and you will spend the next four years of you life at this school. You SHOULD take your time to decide. But you have to realize that the reason schools want a deposit after a certain amount of time has elapsed is so that you just dont hold on to those acceptances. They need to be able to fill their classes with people who know they want to go there and having you hold onto your acceptances only slows them down. If I were you, I would make sure I definitely knew where I wanted to go. But you have to look on the other side of the fence here. I'll bet that LOTS of people (including myself) who would LOVE to be in your situation right now. Congratulations on your acceptances. Maybe we'll end up as classmates down the road. :)

Congratulations everyone. All three Texas schools are terrific. I'm a 4th yr at Houston, so let me know if anyone has any questions about the school or city. I'd be happy to help. I just got off the interview circuit myself (4 yrs later) for residency and visited the other Texas schools again and met with the students. They really are all great schools.