Texas Tech 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has Tech sent out the regular admission interview invites? I have friends that are still waiting.....

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I just received an interview invite this morning! So, hopefully your friends will hear from them soon! :xf:

2bpharm, I sent you a reply to your message, but am unsure if I sent it right. Let me know if you got it. I am still new to SDN!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did receive your message PurpleSilver. Thanks!

I would also like to ask everyone that has interviewed at Tech this year to post their detailed comments either in the interview response section or here. The specific questions I had are:

How was the creative writing exercise? Is it like the one in PCAT?

How was the critical thinking test?

How was the interview itself? Were the questions similar to what are listed in the interview feedback page from last several years?

How was the group problem solving exercise?

Where did you stay? Would you recommend that hotel to others?

Any and all help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

I interviewed on 2/5 (the first of the ED interviews). This wait for an admissions response is killing me! from what i have read it sounds like we will hear back next week...

TTUAPP, I had my interview at tech yesterday, and they told us that the admissions committee was meeting march 1st(Monday) to review the early February interviewees, and that those who get accepted could check thier status online the next day(Tuesday). Letters will also be mailed on tuesday. goood luck!....(the wait is killing me too)

Here is some Interview feedback for those who are still to interview.

The creating writing exercise is a situational dillemma and you have to come up with a solution. For example, they can give you guys a hypothetical problem faced by a pharmacist on a certain day he/she went to work, and ask you to come up with a response on how you will handle the situation. Its not too hard though. If you can take initiative, then you would be fine. You can't really prepare for it either.

The critical thinking test according to me was the "weirdest" test i've ever taken. You can't prepare for it either.

How was the interview itself? Were the questions similar to what are listed in the interview feedback page from last several years?
The questions were very similar to the interview feedback. All the questions i had were in the format, "Tell me about a time when you had to make a quick decision, or Tell me about...blah blah blah"
The guy who interviewed me didn't even ask anything about "why pharmacy, or tell me about yourself"...nope. He was more interested in filling in the packet he had infront of him. So the best advice i'll give is review the interview feedback page from previous years and focus on the question that reqiure you to speak about a certain type of situation you have encountered in the previous years.

The group solving exercise was not too bad. Just make sure everyone participates, and no one should try to outshadow the other group members, because that's not what they are looking for. They want to see who well you guys can work 'together'.

Best western, and yes according to me, its the best place to stay. Its literally two minutes drive to the campus, and they have a discount for interviewees. I paid $59.99 +tax.

Any and all help will be highly appreciated.
So my general advice would be just be yourself. Tech is a great school!!!! The staff and students are Extremely nice, and they understand you are nervous so they try to put you at ease to make you comfortable.

Good Luck!!!

I totally agree with you laurels, my interview went exactly the same.

The critical thinking test was...interesting to say the least. I think they just want to make sure you can think when under pressure in difficult-to-analyze situations. It was one of those tests when it seemed like almost any answer could've been the correct one.

I was told by my interviewer that the interview format is new this year, so the questions are much more analytical than past ones I believe

I would suggest for the group exercise-be creative! We thought of a creative way to demonstrate how we would the problem presented to us, and the pharmacists we presented to even said "we don't really have any questions for you, because you answered them all with your presentation!"

That being said, I can't believe I'll be finding out on Tuesday!!! I wonder if they are letting you know at that time if you're not accepted, or if they're only notifying those who are definitely in...the wait has been killing me!

Thanks TTU, Laurels and Shine for your responses! Good luck for Tuesday!

I totally agree with you laurels, my interview went exactly the same.

The critical thinking test was...interesting to say the least. I think they just want to make sure you can think when under pressure in difficult-to-analyze situations. It was one of those tests when it seemed like almost any answer could've been the correct one.

I was told by my interviewer that the interview format is new this year, so the questions are much more analytical than past ones I believe

I would suggest for the group exercise-be creative! We thought of a creative way to demonstrate how we would the problem presented to us, and the pharmacists we presented to even said "we don't really have any questions for you, because you answered them all with your presentation!"

That being said, I can't believe I'll be finding out on Tuesday!!! I wonder if they are letting you know at that time if you're not accepted, or if they're only notifying those who are definitely in...the wait has been killing me!

Hey ShineBrite, We were told that for those who interviewed early February, Only those who are accepted will be notified. He said since they do rolling admissions, if you don't get accepted during the first round, there's still hope for you because everytime the admission comittee meets, they still look at you application. The next admissions comittee meeting is March11th, for the February 26th and rolling interview applicants. So if someone who interviewed earlier doesn't get accepted next week, they might still get an acceptance letter in March.....
I hope u get in tho....good luck!!!

I have to wait till march11th to know if i'm in or not.
P.S. The wait is killilng me!!!!

Wish I had interviewed on 2/19, then I would know in a few days! Too bad I had to change it to 2/26, should know by 3/12 they said.
Pretty nice of them to give us good estimates.
They have a very nice program and did a good interview, though it took for ever.

Been checking email every 15 minutes for the last 6 hours lol

Been checking email every 15 minutes for the last 6 hours lol

Oh i forgot to tell you, they are not sending out Acceptance emails. You have to go to the texas tech website, log-in , and check your status to see if you've been admitted. Or you just wait for it in the mail!!

been checking the website as well. the anticipation is brutal =)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree! The wait sucks!!!! It will make the anticipated arrival of the acceptance letter that much more sweet!

I thought it would only be fair for me to post my reply to the initial message...

Easier than the PCAT. They just want to see if you are capable of writing a 3 paragraph essay.

Confusing with confusing choices for answers! I think this is their way of watching us sweat!!!

The interview was not so bad! You will have no problem with the questions if you have had life experience!

Easy! Just participate!

With my aunt! Yes, I would recommend her house to others, which she might not appreciate!

I just went home and checked my mailbox, since I was looking for a letter that hasn't been sent from Tech. However, my January PCAT scores arrived! Not sure if I really need them. If accepted to Tech this week, then the hours of studying, money spent, and stress for the PCAT were unnecessary! Not sure how I should react!

Sorta. They called to inform me to get my next set of immunizations so i think they are about to make admission offers any time now. :)

Thanks PurpleSilver! It was helpful! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear from TTU!

I got an email telling me that the committee met Monday and they need me to bring in an updated immunization record. And the suspense continues!!!!!!!

i'm sure all this suspense makes the rest of us wish we never brought in our immunization record! :)

I got an email telling me that the committee met Monday and they need me to bring in an updated immunization record. And the suspense continues!!!!!!!

I think this is good news! Why would they bother with your immunization records if they are not inteersted in offering you a seat? :)

okay word of advice, better hurry up and send in you immunization records quick, while your spot is still open. We were told Directly at our interview that if they request your ''Immunization record'' , then they basically have an admissions letter already written out for you. As soon as you send the docs, they will inform you of your acceptance.

Obviously I am not a student there yet but I would imagine the rigorous courseload is intended to prepare you for the NAPLEX. One of the pharmacists I know went to Texas Tech and had nothing but good things to say about the program. I know that pharmacy school will be far from easy but I enjoy a good challenge or I wouldn't be trying to get into pharm school to begin with.
Chances are good that every school's course load is intended to prepare you for the NAPLEX.
Everyone who gets into pharmacy school knows it is going to be far from easy. The problem is that Tech is doing things that make it insanely hard and it is not improving the education the student receives.
Did the pharmacist you spoke with attend Texas Tech before or after they added Abilene? The addition of a new campus has not enhanced their program. In fact, it has detracted from it. there is a ridiculous amount of class time lost to trying to get the technology to work right. I took tech because they had a good reputation with employers. I suspect that when the class of 2011 graduates that reputation will start sliding and not because the class of 2011 is a bad class, but because they are the first class that has been shortchanged on the education they have received.
They are saying that the new technology will fix all the problems. They say a lot of things.

For current students: Would you take summer courses if they were offered?

What do you use the new medical examination rooms for as a pharmacist?

How large are the class sizes? Does it really work to try to teach 300 students in four different classes at the same time?

For the administration: When you say that your school has a ___% graduation rate, do you mean that out of all the students who enter that percent will graduate together? Has it changed since the addition of a new campus? What percent of recent classes are behind due to failures?

Why doesn't Tech offer summer classes?

How large are the class sizes? Does it really work to try to teach 300 students in four different classes at the same time?

okay word of advice, better hurry up and send in you immunization records quick, while your spot is still open. We were told Directly at our interview that if they request your ''Immunization record'' , then they basically have an admissions letter already written out for you. As soon as you send the docs, they will inform you of your acceptance.
Yes, get your immunizations in. A request for immunization information is like you've got your foot in the door.

sooo does this mean if your status hasn't changed on the website then you were either deferred or denied? what about those that had updated immunization records prior to the interview?

sooo does this mean if your status hasn't changed on the website then you were either deferred or denied? what about those that had updated immunization records prior to the interview?

If yours were updated it means that if you are accepted you will be notified that you are accepted and not notified that you need to finish your records. It is tough but hang in there.:scared:

TPPSomething, is it incorrect to assume that you are a student in Abilene that is struggling in the pharm D program due to the heavy coarse load combined with technology problems encountered during the teaching of the class? Also, you think the heavy coarse load could be somewhat lightened by Tech offering summer classes?

Last edited:
So no one has gotten an official acceptance?? To those of you that were requested to submit an immunization record, did you not submit those at the time of the interview, as requested?

So no one has gotten an official acceptance?? To those of you that were requested to submit an immunization record, did you not submit those at the time of the interview, as requested?

I submitted mine the day of the interview but I had to send proof of a booster shot

I live in Amarillo, and I just got my letter of acceptance! However, the merlin website still says "no change". There is still hope for all of you!!!

Congratulations! I just checked the website, no updates either. So by the look of it if I'm accepted then the letter should arrive within a day or two since I'm here in Houston. If not then bad news :(

I'm assuming your LoR was via email and not snail mail?

TPPSomething, is it incorrect to assume that you are a student in Abilene that is struggling in the pharm D program due to the heavy coarse load combined with technology problems encountered during the teaching of the class? Also, you think the heavy coarse load could be somewhat lightened by Tech offering summer classes?

Assuming I am in Abilene could be incorrect. Technology problems on one campus affect the entire class, not just that campus. The whole class has to wait while the technicians talk to each other and try to connect things properly. If you totaled up the time lost to technical problems, it is safe to say at least an entire class period is lost each semester due to technical difficulties in each class. Additionally, as far as a class demonstration of any sort - cannot do it. We had an instructor try to show something the other day. The class he was in could see it. One classroom couldn't see him at all, another classroom could see him, but couldn't see what he was doing. It would help if he knew how to work the technology efficiently, but he does not. We have instructors who are very good with the technology, but sadly, most are not. The frightening part is that now ALL classes are required to be live so in the third and fourth year they are going to be attempting to teach on four campuses on a daily basis and not just two. They keep saying the new technology will be better. They also said that the new building would be up and running last fall. Right now they are still waiting for the new technology.

Yes, allowing students to take classes over the summer would lighten the class load during the fall and summer session. I have yet to talk to one student that says they would not take a class if it was offered so they were not killing themselves in the fall and spring. When the dean was asked about it, his answer was that he did not want the program to be considered a five year program. The reality is that if you fail because of the high course load, then you are on a five year program. That is also why I said to ask how many people graduate with the class they start with. Another way to ask the question is to ask how many people are currently "off track". And before you ask, yes, I am on track. I just know what this program is like and how responsive the administration is to the problems within it.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I just checked the website, no updates either. So by the look of it if I'm accepted then the letter should arrive within a day or two since I'm here in Houston. If not then bad news :(

Not necessarily bad news. It does not mean you were not accepted, it just means you may not have been chosen this time. Hang in there.:)

Last edited:
I live in Amarillo, and I just got my letter of acceptance! However, the merlin website still says "no change". There is still hope for all of you!!!

Congrats!

I should have been studying but waited for the mail. Glad I did! Am in!

Congrats!!! I will also be joining you guys in the fall :D !!!!!:rofl:I have been assigned to Amarillo all four years!!!!:banana:

Yay! my acceptance letter to abilene just came in the mail!! i've been reading ya'lls post for days and just made an account! congrats everyone and good luck to those still waiting : )

would those of you who are already accepted mind sharing your stats?
and Congrats to yall!!!!

Just got my admission offer for Abilene today =D loved the glitter hehe.
Whoop Whoop!!

Just got my acceptance in the mail/email! Represent class of '14!!!! I haven't accepted it yet, but I'm in dallas for my last two years! ANYONE LOOKING FOR A ROOMMATE? =)

I also just got my letter of acceptance to Abilene!!!

I am amarillo/dallas as well!
As far as my stats:
94 PCAT, 3.5 prepharm gpa 3.3 overall
practically no pharmacy experience :( but I have my certification

and PS...I thought the interview went terribly bad. It was brutal.

and congrats to everyone who got in!! I'll see you in August!