Texas Tech 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TABOULI

none
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my application:D Anyone else out there applying?

Members don't see this ad.

1.I like how tech takes your highest grade,(i had to repeat a lot of my classes that i screwed up in).
2.I live in the dallas area and abilene is only 3 hours away (no pharm school in dallas :( ). Or you can go to amarillo then do your last 2 years in dallas.
3. Hmmm.... everything there is computerized, you even take your test on the computer, which i think is cool.
4. For anatomy they have a wet lab which not many schools do that.
5.The application isn't that hard one essay is about your first impressions of being in a pharmacy and the other is what you have had to overcome to get to this point.
cons application fee 100 dollars :(, but Austin is 160 so oh well I guess i will be broke.
6. They don't care who your letters of rec are from, all of mine are from pharmacist.
7. thats about it I think....

Members don't see this ad :)
You all should really apply, its totally worth it. Its better to be sitting down with 3 acceptances than with 3 rejections.

I'm signed up for it in the Spring. Taking Micro right now. Tabouli brought up some good points, so I'll probably go ahead and finish the app. One thing about Tech over A&M: You take anatomy. I was kinda surprised A&M didn't include that course in its curriculum.

I am gonna have to see if my school offers it in the Summer because I can't fit another class in my Spring schedule. I am happy I already got A&P out the way a year ago.

I should specify: Texas A&M doesn't have A&P in its pharmacy school curriculum, but it appears Tech does.

I'm not taking A&P before SOP.

I still don't know what schools to apply to. I am definitely sure about UT and UH but the whole idea of taking Genetics is not cool. I guess the PCAT results will be a major indicator of where I might even get an interview.

You will actually have a better chance of getting into UT if you take genetics, In the UT application it asks you if you have taken/plan to take the following courses and lists genetics, biochemistry, and something else. Even though it is not required it is recommended and they do actually look at that.

I still don't know what schools to apply to. I am definitely sure about UT and UH but the whole idea of taking Genetics is not cool. I guess the PCAT results will be a major indicator of where I might even get an interview.

On the other hand if your plate is already full next semester, then I wouldn't take genetics. Your gpa is pretty good and from what I can tell with the texas schools gpa pulls more weight then the PCAT.

For entering your grades, how did you enter something like this:

Biology 1406 (Bio I for majors with lab) 4 credits, lecture and lab

It says it wants me to enter the class twice: once for 3 hours (lec), then again for 1 hour (lab)

But if you enter your Bio I info, it has a place for "has lab" and "lab is not graded separately"

Edit:

Nevermind. You can't even enter the info the way they tell you to at the top of the page.

Re-edit:

Nevermind again! You just have to mark it as being graded separately.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought those were old instructions, cuz they are the same ones from last year and last year they didn't have that clicker box. So I didn't separate it out, oh well they will figure it out I guess...I remember I was going to send an email about that, but I just forgot cuz I wanted to get it done and it took awhile and I ending up hit submit... grrr I always make stupid mistakes :(

seeing that most texas schools prefer residents, should i even bother? i see that they accepted 3-6 out of states per year. :(

*i'm from ca.

seeing that most texas schools prefer residents, should i even bother? i see that they accepted 3-6 out of states per year. :(

*i'm from ca.

It's difficult to say the least. Public Texas school are going to show a strong favor to Texas residents because they're getting money from the government to make pharmacist for Texas. Out of state students have a high chance of going back to their home state as soon as they get their Pharm.D, so public schools don't allow many of them in. Unfortunately thats just the way it plays out.

To add to some of Tabouli's comments:
The comupterization of everything has its ups and downs for me. Lectures and notes are accessible online which is very convenient. You can study at home or at school wherever you feel most comfortable cause you can get whatever you need to study on webct. It's also another way you can talk to your professors or classmates if you have questions on material. Testing on the computer is still a little weird for me. I'm used to scratching things out on the test and being able to write all over it. We get scratch paper, but for me it's not the same. However we do get grades almost instantly (a couple of hours after the test) and thats a plus. Also, I'm not used to using my computer this much. I'm not much of a typist, so I take notes using paper and pencil and compare it to the lecture later. I think I might be one of the few who do that.

The cadaver lab however is pretty awesome. The only downside is that it's on saturdays and you have to get on a bus to lubbock at 7 in the morning. But really all of that is outweighed by the experience. This is something that you don't get to do at most pharmacy schools or really in life and I feel lucky to be able to do it. I took anatomy lab in high school and in undergrad and all we dissected were fetal pigs and rats. While we don't actually dissect the bodies ourselves, we do get to look at actual human bodies and what makes them up. There's a pretty big difference between a cartoon drawing with colors and an actual human body, it's pretty cool.

Last edited:
It's difficult to say the least. Public Texas school are going to show a strong favor to Texas residents because they're getting money from the government to make pharmacist for Texas. Out of state students have a high chance of going back to their home state as soon as they get their Pharm.D, so public schools don't allow many of them in. Unfortunately thats just the way it plays out.

To add to some of Tabouli's comments:
The comupterization of everything has its ups and downs for me. Lectures and notes are accessible online which is very convenient. You can study at home or at school wherever you feel most comfortable cause you can get whatever you need to study on webct. It's also another way you can talk to your professors or classmates if you have questions on material. Testing on the computer is still a little weird for me. I'm used to scratching things out on the test and being able to write all over it. We get scratch paper, but for me it's not the same. However we do get grades almost instantly (a couple of hours after the test) and thats a plus. Also, I'm not used to using my computer this much. I'm not much of a typist, so I take notes using paper and pencil and compare it to the lecture later. I think I might be one of the few who do that.

The cadaver lab however is pretty awesome. The only downside is that it's on saturdays and you have to get on a bus to lubbock at 7 in the morning. But really all of that is outweighed by the experience. This is something that you don't get to do at most pharmacy schools or really in life and I feel lucky to be able to do it. I took anatomy lab in high school and in undergrad and all we dissected were fetal pigs and rats. While we don't actually dissect the bodies ourselves, we do get to look at actual human bodies and what makes them up. There's a pretty big difference between a cartoon drawing with colors and an actual human body, it's pretty cool.

That would be a little too much for me to handle. Isn't that sorta like gross anatomy?

There is a reason why they call it that...:D

Overall thanks for the advice and the heads up...Oh and to Tabouli thanks for the advice as well. I am still not sure if I will be applying here for sure. It will be a toss up between here and A&M as my third choice.

This thread really died, if anyone was wondering last year they didn't get back the the EarlyD people until late December early January.

I'm applying to Tech, but I'm not doing early decision. I'm hoping to get some type of answer from them around January-February-ish. One benefit for tech is if you applied last year, you can use the same recommenders for this year. Has anyone done this before?

Yeah you can use them from last year there is a box you can check that use last years.
I'm applying to Tech, but I'm not doing early decision. I'm hoping to get some type of answer from them around January-February-ish. One benefit for tech is if you applied last year, you can use the same recommenders for this year. Has anyone done this before?

I was able to type mine in Adobe. I used the typewriter function and changed the font to times new roman. I also noticed that many ppl aren't on the threads for texas schools. I guess that means that many ppl are not a part of sdn..haha

I was able to type mine in Adobe. I used the typewriter function and changed the font to times new roman. I also noticed that many ppl aren't on the threads for texas schools. I guess that means that many ppl are not a part of sdn..haha

No there is alot of them but they won't start showing up till January, none of the texas schools even seems to think about interviews till January.

if your apply to tech do early decision it can only help you they select the majority of their students form the first couple of interview dates. if you don't pick ED you usually wont even get an interview until after march. Just DO IT.

if your apply to tech do early decision it can only help you they select the majority of their students form the first couple of interview dates. if you don't pick ED you usually wont even get an interview until after march. Just DO IT.

I am still on the fence with this school. I just might apply ED.

I am still on the fence with this school. I just might apply ED.

So i was reading what you posted earlier you don't need genetics where did you get that from.

• General Chemistry (for majors), with lab 8 SCH*
  • Organic Chemistry, with lab 8 SCH*
  • General Physics (trig or calculus based), with lab 4 SCH*
  • General Biology (for majors), with lab 8 SCH*
  • Microbiology, with lab 4 SCH*
  • Calculus 3 SCH*
  • Statistics 3 SCH*
  • Speech (public speaking) 3 SCH*
  • Economics, macro (preferred) or micro 3 SCH*
  • English Comp I 3 SCH
  • English Comp II 3 SCH
  • English Literature 3 SCH
  • Humanities/Social Sciences 15 SCH minimum
Apply early decision people :)

I highly suggest you do earlyD. Tech has a rolling admission, and the earlier you get in the better your chances. I did earlyD and interviewed in Feb. Found out in late March (maybe early April). This is a strong recommendation if you want to increase your chances at Tech :thumbup:

I didn't apply to TTU because of what many in the pharmacy have told me as inadequate education in their program, their words not mine.

But they are all retail pharmacists so I guess they were biased, either way I'm in a pharmacy school so I guess my opinion doesn't matter.

A head pharmacist I worked with considers all schools but his alma mater (UT) to be "lesser" schools that need work.

That's weird, the pharmacists here (Houston) all say that the University of Houston provides the best education. Wonder who is lying to us?

So i was reading what you posted earlier you don't need genetics where did you get that from.

• General Chemistry (for majors), with lab 8 SCH*
  • Organic Chemistry, with lab 8 SCH*
  • General Physics (trig or calculus based), with lab 4 SCH*
  • General Biology (for majors), with lab 8 SCH*
  • Microbiology, with lab 4 SCH*
  • Calculus 3 SCH*
  • Statistics 3 SCH*
  • Speech (public speaking) 3 SCH*
  • Economics, macro (preferred) or micro 3 SCH*
  • English Comp I 3 SCH
  • English Comp II 3 SCH
  • English Literature 3 SCH
  • Humanities/Social Sciences 15 SCH minimum
Apply early decision people :)

Lol...I never said that. I said I know for sure that you have to take it for UT but I never mentioned TTU. Looking at the list I don't see where it lists Genetics as a requirement.:confused:

Lol...I never said that. I said I know for sure that you have to take it for UT but I never mentioned TTU. Looking at the list I don't see where it lists Genetics as a requirement.:confused:

From Austin where is that genetics coming from????
Biology Nine semester credit hours as required FOR SCIENCE MAJORS:

three semester credit hours of cellular and molecular general biology
three semester credit hours of structure and function of organisms general biology
three semester credit hours of genetics
[BIO 211, BIO 212, BIO 214, BIO 325 OR BIO 302C, BIO 325H and Natural Sciences Deans Scholar]
[BIO 311C. BIO 311D, BIO 325 OR for Natural Sciences Deans Scholars: BIO 315H & BIO 325H]​
Chemistry Sixteen semester credit hours as required FOR SCIENCE MAJORS:

eight semester credit hours of general (inorganic) chemistry including laboratory
eight semester credit hours of organic chemistry including laboratory
[CH 301, CH 302, CH 204, CH 310M, CH 310N, CH 210C, CH201C]​
Microbiology Four semester credit hours as required FOR SCIENCE MAJORS:

Microbiology must have one year of general biology and at least one semester of general chemistry as a prerequisite to meet this requirement.
[BIO 226R, BIO 226T, BIO 126L, 326M, BIO1262]​
English Six semester credit hours of English
three semester credit hours of English Rhetoric and Composition
three semester credit hours of sophomore level survey of literature: American, English or World
[RHE 306, E 316K]​
Mathematics Six semester credit hours of mathematics

three semester credit hours of calculus through differential and integral calculus
Calculus for science majors is required; calculus for business majors is not acceptable
three semester credit hours of statistics
Statistics from a wide variety of fields is accepted.
[MATH 408C, MATH 316]​
Physics Four semester credit hours as required FOR SCIENCE MAJORS:
four semester credit hours of introductory physics including laboratory. Non-calculus-based or calculus-based physics is accepted.
[PHY 302K, PHY 102M]​
Foreign Language This requirement may be satisfied by completing either two years of a single foreign language in high school or two semesters of a single foreign language in college. Non-native English speakers may take a placement exam in their native language to demonstrate competence in that language. Proof of completion of a foreign language, by a high school or college transcript, must be submitted prior to enrollment. Applicants who started their college education prior to the summer of 1985 are exempted from this requirement.

three semester credit hours of structure and function of organisms general biology
[BIO 211, BIO 212, BIO 214, BIO 325 OR BIO 302C, BIO 325H and Natural Sciences Deans Scholar]
[BIO 311C. BIO 311D, BIO 325 OR for Natural Sciences Deans Scholars: BIO 315H & BIO 325H]​

Bio 325 is genetics.

[BIO 311C. BIO 311D, BIO 325 OR for Natural Sciences Deans Scholars: BIO 315H & BIO 325H]

Well you listed it there.

I didn't apply to TTU because of what many in the pharmacy have told me as inadequate education in their program, their words not mine.

But they are all retail pharmacists so I guess they were biased, either way I'm in a pharmacy school so I guess my opinion doesn't matter.

According to US News...it is hard to rank pharmacy schools tho...some do it according to grant income

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...aduate-schools/top-pharmacy-schools/rankings/

Tech class of 09 also had a 100% pass rate on the NAPLEX their First attempt

3. Hmmm.... everything there is computerized, you even take your test on the computer, which i think is cool.

Trust me - that technology they are so proud of is more frustrating than not. You'd be amazed at how much class time can be wasted with the words, "Can ya hear me now?"

themuyla + ttpsomething, who are u, pm me, hahaha, im in my 2nd yr in abilene. it is only 3hrs from dallas, and lots of ppl carpool! we are only in the 3rd yr here in abilene, the thing with technology is that we now support 3 classes (120 ppl) + a nursing school + some p1's that i know and some p2's are abusing the crap outta the bandwith by downloading movies (megaupload) and 8gig games during class when everything is broadcasted. but the mic thing is really annoying as ttpsomething states. --> Something is wrong with the router/server/switches and is being investigated by Nortel in regards to network speed

+ of applying to tech this yr. Amarillo is opening up their own new campus supporting 20-30 more students, so more there will be a class of ~150? i believe. abilene being a smaller campus, the groups are friendlier although each class keeps to themselves for some reason (p1's , p2's and p3's) dunno why but everytime we try to reach out no one wants to do anything. P1 yr is intense and they got screwed this yr bad (8-5 schedule), while p2 is 10-12pm + 2 lab days.

feel free to ask for any help, i've been here for a while (and sdn) and did interviews for p1 class last yr, but i will not hint as to what is asked, but its on here so no worries.

also, now regardless of where u sign up for u can opt to get to dallas in 3rd-4th yr!

themuyla + ttpsomething, who are u, pm me, hahaha, im in my 2nd yr in abilene. it is only 3hrs from dallas, and lots of ppl carpool! we are only in the 3rd yr here in abilene, the thing with technology is that we now support 3 classes (120 ppl) + a nursing school + some p1's that i know and some p2's are abusing the crap outta the bandwith by downloading movies (megaupload) and 8gig games during class when everything is broadcasted. but the mic thing is really annoying as ttpsomething states. --> Something is wrong with the router/server/switches and is being investigated by Nortel in regards to network speed

+ of applying to tech this yr. Amarillo is opening up their own new campus supporting 20-30 more students, so more there will be a class of ~150? i believe. abilene being a smaller campus, the groups are friendlier although each class keeps to themselves for some reason (p1's , p2's and p3's) dunno why but everytime we try to reach out no one wants to do anything. P1 yr is intense and they got screwed this yr bad (8-5 schedule), while p2 is 10-12pm + 2 lab days.

feel free to ask for any help, i've been here for a while (and sdn) and did interviews for p1 class last yr, but i will not hint as to what is asked, but its on here so no worries.

also, now regardless of where u sign up for u can opt to get to dallas in 3rd-4th yr!

I was reading their catalog (rather old, 2007) and it said that pre-pharm classes that were taken more than 7 years ago no longer count. I have been trying to call/e-mail with no luck. I have a few classes I took back in 2002 (English, Social Studies). All of my science classes will be current at the time I matriculate. How can I find out more information about this? Also, is the info in the catalog regarding the interview process up to date?

hey imperialto. I'm pretty sure I met you in one of my anatomy labs. I haven't been on this thing in forever it seems like. I can pretty much guess who themulya is. I wonder if themulya knows me....:) but who is ttpsomething? :)