Texas Tech 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As already said ranking pharmacy schools isn't like ranking undergraduate schools.. its completely different,

First, the fact that its a graduate school right there already means only a few select (relative to the number that applied) actually got in.. so its already a higher standard right there.. the course work is difficult... blah blah.

Its like medical schools in a way.
Just cause you went to the bottem ranked medical school doesn't mean anything..
Whats going to matter more in five years time is your actual performance on the job and how you're viewed by your peers more than anything prolly..

Members don't see this ad.

I just looked at Texas Tech's acceptance numbers for out of state students-- and last year they accepted ONE out of ~130.

I guess I can throw this application away...

I just looked at Texas Tech's acceptance numbers for out of state students-- and last year they accepted ONE out of ~130.

I guess I can throw this application away...

Who knows, you might be the one. Think about all the students who look at the stats, and say the same thing you just said. That would explain the amount of out of state students who actually apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was reading their catalog (rather old, 2007) and it said that pre-pharm classes that were taken more than 7 years ago no longer count. I have been trying to call/e-mail with no luck. I have a few classes I took back in 2002 (English, Social Studies). All of my science classes will be current at the time I matriculate. How can I find out more information about this? Also, is the info in the catalog regarding the interview process up to date?

Dont really know what to say besides try again?
The phone number for the office of student affairs and admissions is 806-354-5457. After the thanksgiving holiday you should try calling around 8-5 cause thats when they're open. I had to look through some of my old email, but when I sent in my app my admissions adviser was Linda Goldstein. I had a few questions on current classes I was taking and such so I emailed her and had no problem getting a response. Her email is [email protected]. If you still cant get a response, I wouldn't mind asking, but I dont really know the specifics of your situation and I think they would probably like to discuss it with only you.

As far as I know, thats the way they still do interviews.
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sop/academicinfo/docs/currentcatalog/2008/Catalog08-09.pdf
heres the 08-09 catalog and I dont think anythings changed.

hey imperialto. I'm pretty sure I met you in one of my anatomy labs. I haven't been on this thing in forever it seems like. I can pretty much guess who themulya is. I wonder if themulya knows me....:) but who is ttpsomething? :)

I'm sure most people in our class could guess who I am by the screen name. It's not so subtle. I have a guess as to who you are but I'm not a 100% sure.

i am applying to ttuhsc too.......I am out of state......will it be a problem if i take microbiology in summer. well the college site says the deadline for it is by may 31 2010. but i just don't wanna waste money on it.....If I am accepted i can just take it in summer.

i am applying to ttuhsc too.......I am out of state......will it be a problem if i take microbiology in summer. well the college site says the deadline for it is by may 31 2010. but i just don't wanna waste money on it.....If I am accepted i can just take it in summer.

The admissions staff could probably give you the most accurate answer to this question. You can contact them in various ways listed here http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sop/programs/pharmd/contact.aspx

You're right that microbiology must be taken and completed by May 31st for regular admissions. So from that I would think that you would have to take micro this semester. If Texas Tech is a school you are seriously considering attending you should spend the money for the class so there are no problems. However, the best way to find out if they'll hold you to the deadline is to contact the admissions staff.

I'm not applying since I'm already at a pharmacy school, however my boyfriend is in the process and I'm trying to help him as much as I can! He was wondering if anybody knew why they have his SAT scores? The date they received his SAT scores is also really random...it was about 6 months before he even started to apply for Texas Tech pharmacy. Does anybody know why?

Best of luck to everybody! Thanks. :)

I can only guess, but did he apply to Tech for undergrad? I know Tech still carried some of my info from my undergrad application even though I ended up at UT. As for the date when they received it, I have no clue.

Has anyone gotten an interview invitation yet? How is the pharmaceutical sciences program different than the pharm D program?

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten an interview invitation yet? How is the pharmaceutical sciences program different than the pharm D program?

Last year early decision interviewees got their interview invitations around 1/22. You can look at last years thread to see kind of a time line of when things happened
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=566253

The graduate program is more of a research type degree. Also instead of obtaining a Pharm.D one would be aiming at either an MS or Ph.D.

Quoted from the site,
"The [Graduate Program in Pharmaceutical Sciences] offers students the opportunity to pursue M.S. and Ph.D. degrees and is designed to train aspiring researchers for careers in the pharmaceutical industry, academia and governmental agencies, including the FDA."

"Pharmaceutical sciences encompass all those areas of pharmacy research that pertain to drug design, delivery, formulations, and therapeutics. Faculty members of the Pharmaceutical Sciences department are involved in integrated research combining cutting-edge molecular and biomedical breakthroughs with modern drug development, targeting and formulation. The graduate program in pharmaceutical sciences is designed to educate students for careers in pharmaceutical industry, academia, and federal regulatory agencies including the FDA. Admissions requirements include a degree in pharmacy, chemistry, biology, or related areas. Teaching and research assistantships are awarded on a competitive basis."

The Pharm.D is a degree that will allow you to practice pharmacy, to become a pharmacist.

I'm guessing that you are trying to become a pharmacist, thus wanting to get a Pharm.D but if you are interested in looking at the grad program heres a link to the site
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sop/pharmsci/about.aspx

Me too! Haven't decided if I'm going to the Feb 5,12, or 19 interview! Very excited! Now, I will be able to relax a little! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
U of H and Texas A&M, both good schools but id take tech over either of them

Last edited:
I chose feb 12 in Amarillo. Texas Tech is the only school I've applied to. I am not sure if I will apply to any others, since it is somewhat costly.

everyone ive talked to speaks highly of tech's program and I really like their association with VA facilities (im a veteran). its definitely my first choice. im keeping my fingers crossed. im excited about the interview =)

Congrats to everyone who received interview invitations! If you are interviewing in Amarillo, I'll probably see you at your interview.

My husband received an interview invitation yesterday. We are so excited. Tech is his first choice. We are just trying to figure out where to stay for the weekend. We have to travel pretty far and would like to keep it pretty cheap. Any suggestions.

Also congrats to the others with interviews.

Do you guys know if Tech send out interview invitation for those who submitted early all at one time? Congrats to those that have interview invite!

My husband received an interview invitation yesterday. We are so excited. Tech is his first choice. We are just trying to figure out where to stay for the weekend. We have to travel pretty far and would like to keep it pretty cheap. Any suggestions.

Also congrats to the others with interviews.

I stayed at the Best Western on coulter which is literally a 1-2 minute drive away from the school. It was reasonably priced and I think you get a discount if you say your interviewing for the pharmacy school. The best western site is saying $75 right now but I forgot what I actually payed. Theres also a La Quinta pretty close. It has some bad reviews but the site is saying its around $50 so its pretty cheap. I think the school sends you some suggestions of where to stay when you interview so take a look at that. If you want heres the map search I did

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1...roup&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQtQMwAA

the school is located at 1300 coulter st so you can compare the relative distance from the hotel to the school

Do you guys know if Tech send out interview invitation for those who submitted early all at one time? Congrats to those that have interview invite!

Here is the calendar for what is happening this year
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sop/programs/pharmd/calendar.aspx

Seeing as your only choices right now are the 5th 12th and 19th I believe they're going to send out one more round of invitations for early decision applicants to fill the spot on the 26th and whatever spots they have left on the other days.

anyone going for the 2/5 interview would like to share room/car rental? I'll be sure to let you guys with later interview times know the details once I've gone through it :)

congrats to everyone on landing an interview everyone =) Let me know how it goes please as I will be applying to TTU next year =)

U of H and Texas A&M, both good schools but id take tech over either of them

stick with A& M, its a lot easier courseload....I've got friends at a&m in p1 and p2 yr, much easier courseload than what we have at tech. Sad for me to be saying lol

Anyone knows if Tech done sending out invites for early interviews?

With Tech's program, you can apply to the dual PharmD/MBA program as an incoming student. You are classified as P0 and placed in the business courses during the summer before you start the PharmD curriculum. The following fall, you are classified as a P1. You can apply to the program during the spring of your P1 year as well. This is the last time you can apply because the track of the curriculum isn't set to work during the P3 and P4 years.

If anyone is interested in getting their MBA during pharm school at Tech, I'd suggest telling someone(Dr. Patry - the info is on ttuhsc.edu/sop) now or waiting until you get accepted, then apply the following spring.

I'm scheduled to interview at Tech on Feb 26. Anyone else interviewing on that date??? I'm really exited and nervous at the same time.

Feb 5th in abilene for me =) im really excited as well. just a few short days

Gooood Luuuuck for Feb 5th! Mine is Feb 12th! I can't wait to get it over, so that I may concentrate on something else!!!!

I was wondering if people who are receiving interview invites could share their stats if they don't mind. Thanks

For those who have already interviewed at tech. how did it go?

Last edited by a moderator:
RNtoPharmacy,

What is COP Class of 2013?

"TTUHSC COP Class of 2013!"

Last edited:
stick with A& M, its a lot easier courseload....I've got friends at a&m in p1 and p2 yr, much easier courseload than what we have at tech. Sad for me to be saying lol

I'm with imperialto on this. TT has a ridiculous courseload and not to mention the futility of many other things. before taking TT, ask more questions and see if you can't get real answers, as opposed to answers from people tyring not to say to much...

Last edited:
I chose feb 12 in Amarillo. Texas Tech is the only school I've applied to. I am not sure if I will apply to any others, since it is somewhat costly.

you're talking about your future here. are you sure it is too expensive to have more than one option?

regular GPA 3.65
Pharmacy GPA 3.92
PCAT composite 58
1 year as cert. pharm tech
no degree

Got an interview here on 2/26.

If you guys want some stats...

GPA = 3.73
PCAT = 93
employed technician for >1yr

I'd like to hear about the interview from those who have done it already. Even though they only had a few interviews so far probably...

Obviously I am not a student there yet but I would imagine the rigorous courseload is intended to prepare you for the NAPLEX. One of the pharmacists I know went to Texas Tech and had nothing but good things to say about the program. I know that pharmacy school will be far from easy but I enjoy a good challenge or I wouldn't be trying to get into pharm school to begin with.

My husband had his interview on the 5th. He was there 9 hours so be prepared for a really long day. We stayed an extra day to check out the area and now we are stuck at the airport waiting to see if our flight gets out today. They have cancelled everything else.

By the way, we loved the area and the school. My husband was really impressed with the teachers, students and facilities at Tech. I guess now it just comes down to waiting to see if he gets in to either of the schools he's interviewed with. We shall see.

Any more interviews for Tech? Can you guys please post your experience? Thanks!

It was a long day, but they actually put you through a series of scenarios that seem to be a logical way to evaluate candidates. All but a critical thinking test are subjective, but the way it is handled is a lot better than the free for all at my other interview. They score you on the mentioned test, plus an essay, a situational group exercise, and your interview. I think the only adjustment that is made from there is if you have rataken classes and had D's or F's. The staff is very friendly and genuine.

Tech claims that APCE ranks their curriculum as the most rigorous in the nation. Tech performs an annual readiness diagnostic on the class to evaluate their curriculum's effectiveness. They seem willing to nudge students and faculty whenever there is a deficiency. I've heard many say that Tech is more student focused than more established schools. They do seem to be trying harder.

The facilities were nice, but there really isn't much campus synergy in Amarillo with any other programs. There wasn't a student union, deli, or library on site. On the bright side, the p3&4 years have opportunities for that with campuses in Lubbock and Dallas. The students were very casual, which has pluses and minuses for me.

I would love to attend this school.

Last edited:
I was just wondering if TxTech does rolling admission?

PhuturePharmD: I agree with you somewhat on their better preparing us for the Naplex, and being a clinically centered school, they do/will teach you more indepth on many things. And yea, I guess looking back, I should be the last person to be complaining about pharmacy school, getting in is way harder.

Plan B: That is a big plus for anyone who wants change, I know Abilene campus is only in its 3rd year being built and Amarillo just completed a new building for pharmacy students. Dallas and Lubbock are open to 3rd and 4th year students, so you dont have to stay in one place for 4 yrs if u didnt want to. As far as the casual thing, lol, you'll always have those that dress professional or those that only do so b/c they are made to, but if they're in they have got what it takes, at least for now, to be a pharmacist, as long as ur professional in the work place, the rest shouldnt matter.

HappyGoGo: Acceptance letters are sent out starting in march for those who did early admin, and each week or two the interviewing staff re-sifts thru all the applicants and send out more acceptance letters, so get in interviews in early to get more chances!

you're talking about your future here. are you sure it is too expensive to have more than one option?

I want to be the best pharmacist I can be, and Tech is the best school in which to train for a pharmacy profession in. I believe that what you put into your pharmacy education/profession is what you will receive from it.

I had a great interview experience and was completely impressed by the school and staff. The interview day was long and I was exhausted afterwards.

I am praying for an acceptance letter!!!:rolleyes:

I was just wondering if TxTech does rolling admission?

Yes, Texas Tech Does Do Rolling Admissions...they usually interview 2-3 sessions before offers to those applicants are made. Last year, I interview Feb 20th and found out I got in Late March/Early April.

I'm scheduled to interview at Tech on Feb 26. Anyone else interviewing on that date??? I'm really exited and nervous at the same time.

I noticed your signature...do not worry about TSU. They interview very late (I think Mid to Late March).