Texas Tech 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anyone needs an apartment, my husband and I looked while we were there in February. The Winchester apartments are really nice and super close to the school. They give a $20 discount for Texas Tech students.

Also, anyone else on here accepted to the MBA/PharmD dual degree program yet? Where are you staying in Lubbock this summer? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:hello:

I interviewed March 12th and got an acceptance e-mail today at 5:21PM! :claps::banana:

Truly grateful, honored and humbled. :love:

i was accepted to texas tech and have an interview at houston in april. since you were accepted to both, which school do you prefer or are leaning towards going to?

so do you have your bs? or do you only have to have the prereqs to get in

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone needs an apartment, my husband and I looked while we were there in February. The Winchester apartments are really nice and super close to the school. They give a $20 discount for Texas Tech students.

Also, anyone else on here accepted to the MBA/PharmD dual degree program yet? Where are you staying in Lubbock this summer? Just curious.

Isn't the TTU campus in Amarillo and Abilene?

Isn't the TTU campus in Amarillo and Abilene?

Yes, the Pharmacy school is in Amarillo and Abilene but for those that are doing the PharmD/MBA program they have to attend the first summer at the main campus in Lubbock. That's why I asked if anyone was accepted to the dual program first.

Wow, Texas Tech just sent me an email to come and interview with them. I'm afraid it's too little, too late. I would have considered and invitation if they had given me an interview earlier. I've already interviewed with all my other schools, and been accepted by UT. That's the whole reason I applied for the early admissions deadline at TT. Also, I don't know whats up with the school this year. They kept loosing all my materials. They advisor would tell me that they have all my documents, and then I would receive an email saying they were missing something. I must have sent them my pcat scores at least 3 times. Oh well, I'll be denying my interview request. Hopefully that opens up a spot for someone else! Good luck all!

Karley511 is right. If an individual applied to the dual PharmD/MBA program and is accepted, they will have to live in Lubbock this summer before they even begin the PharmD curriculum. This living situation is a must the first semester but they are making it to where you won't have to live there the following summer (between P1 and P2 year).

As far as the regular PharmD students, you will have this summer off. You won't start until the first week of August. In previous years, students are required to attend a two week orientation which is also called "boot camp". You will be the only students on campus until the P2,P3 and some P4 students start the regular curriculum in mid-August. I've been told the incoming P1 class will only have to endure a one week orientation though so there's an upside to things.

Until then, enjoy this summer!!!!!

This is a question for all current Texas Tech students as well as students enrolling this Fall... Why did you choose Tech over the other schools? Namely, why Texas Tech as opposed to UH, UT and Texas A&M?

I asked this question to current students at my interview but I didn't really feel like I received candid and honest responses. I've been following the posts of the other schools that I applied to, and have been reading about the different preferences people hold for one school versus another.

I've been accepted to UH, Tech, Texas A&M and I'm still waiting to get an official decision from UT (though not holding my breath). As my deposit deadlines for all three are approaching, I'm just trying to figure out where I want to be this upcoming Fall. I understand that A&M is still in candidate status and that Tech is ranked above UH... but since it's also rumored to have one of the most difficult curriculums out there, why would I want to go? I'm still going to graduate with a Pharm.D at the other schools, but I'd have to work much less for them.

I appreciate any responses!

I asked this question to current students at my interview but I didn't really feel like I received candid and honest responses. I've been following the posts of the other schools that I applied to, and have been reading about the different preferences people hold for one school versus another.

There are students who won't participate in the interview process because they don't feel as if they can put on a face and pretend this is a great program.

Tech has some major problems right now that apparently were not problems with past classes that have graduated. I think part of it stems from the lack of interest in students shown by the Dean. They changed the setup of the curriculum for the current P2 class when they were part way through the program. When it was pointed out to him that meant that the current P2s would have 10 classes this spring (21 hours), his response was basically to quit whining because there are 700 people out there who want our seats. It was actually 23 hours, but they changed two of the classes so that there would be two hours less on the schedule. The material didn't change, though.

This means that this year the P1s and P2s, and the P2s and P3s have had classes together. Imagine a class of 300 students being taught on at least two campuses in at least four different rooms with unreliable technology. Any other school would have split the classes up.

Perhaps you should ask how many students are off track (not graduating with the class they started) and why doesn't TT offer summer classes to allow them to catch back up to their class. Perhaps you should ask why TT doesn't have summer classes if the curriculum is so tough. I have not talked to a single student who wouldn't willingly take summer classes if they were offered. But the Dean doesn't want to offer summer classes because HE doesn't want this to be a five year program. If you fail one class, this becomes a five year program.

I could go on, but I won't. I think you have the general idea. I don't recommend this school. There are a lot of us here that wish we had chosen a different school to attend.

This is a question for all current Texas Tech students as well as students enrolling this Fall... Why did you choose Tech over the other schools? Namely, why Texas Tech as opposed to UH, UT and Texas A&M?

I could go on, but I won't. I think you have the general idea. I don't recommend this school. There are a lot of us here that wish we had chosen a different school to attend.

Yet there are also many of us that are happy where we are. The curriculum isn't impossible. Good time management and studying skills make it easy to graduate the program in 4 years. You will be entering a graduate level program. Do not enroll in any pharmacy school if you are worried about it being difficult because spoiler alert! it is.

I choose Tech over other schools because I felt a connect to the program, more so than any other school I had interviewed at. I actually attended UT for undergrad and still choose to go to Tech because I felt like the program and faculty would really pay attention to my needs and I wouldn't get loss in the shuffle, like I felt UT treated me in undergrad. A&M has a beautiful campus and new equipment but I didn't think I could stay sane in Kingsville. UH didn't offer me an interview so easy choice there.

Tech is a clinical based program. It's curriculum reflects that mission. Yes there are many classes but if you've learned how to time manage it really isn't all too bad. From what I heard, Tech prepares you for residency better than any other school in Texas. If that is something you plan on doing in your career, Tech should be your only choice. But if your looking to get your Pharm.D and just start retail as soon as possible, then the argument of same degree with different paths plays.

My one big problem with Tech is the technology. There are too many times where class is interrupted because of failing technology. Whether it be the microphones not working or WebCT crashing, it really is a big inconvenience that they don't seem to be addressing.

However, every program will have its problems, and I would be lying if I said I never complained, but I've really enjoyed my time here and I'm happy with my choice. It's up to you to choose which program will fit your needs best. Best of luck!

Perhaps you should ask how many students are off track (not graduating with the class they started) and why doesn't TT offer summer classes to allow them to catch back up to their class. Perhaps you should ask why TT doesn't have summer classes if the curriculum is so tough. I have not talked to a single student who wouldn't willingly take summer classes if they were offered. But the Dean doesn't want to offer summer classes because HE doesn't want this to be a five year program. If you fail one class, this becomes a five year program.

That's actually quite unnerving... May I ask you honestly how many current Tech students do you know right now that have failed a class/will not graduate with the class they entered? I'm pretty sure admissions won't tell me that and I pretty much just want to know the honest answer. Not what the school wants me to know, just the truth. I mean this is the next four years of my life...

When I was at my interview, I was under the impression that there were ample resources available at Texas Tech for students that were struggling. According to many of the student volunteers, Tech has a pretty strong student support system. Is this not true? If so many students have shown to be unable to complete this new program, I don't understand why the administration wouldn't do anything about it. I had also heard at my interview that the curriculum has changed again for entering P1's, yes? No?

My goal is to pursue clinical pharmacy, particularly pediatrics. I'm also from Dallas so therefore the fact that I've been assigned DFW for my rotations during my P3 and P4 years is another plus. The final thing that has truly drawn me to Texas Tech is how kind every faculty member I've encountered and contacted during this admissions process has been...

Reading these mixed reviews have made me more confused and hesitant about my decision. I know pharmacy school will be difficult and I'm definitely ready to take on that challenge, buuuut I just want to make sure that I'm not going to make pharmacy school more difficult on myself than it should be.

Finally got my immunizations out the way haha and sure enough got the acceptance letter in the mail :) woot woot. :clap::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many times the ad committee will meet? I interviewed a long time ago and I am just loosing hope that this wont be my year :(

That's actually quite unnerving... May I ask you honestly how many current Tech students do you know right now that have failed a class/will not graduate with the class they entered? I'm pretty sure admissions won't tell me that and I pretty much just want to know the honest answer. Not what the school wants me to know, just the truth. I mean this is the next four years of my life...

When I was at my interview, I was under the impression that there were ample resources available at Texas Tech for students that were struggling. According to many of the student volunteers, Tech has a pretty strong student support system. Is this not true? If so many students have shown to be unable to complete this new program, I don't understand why the administration wouldn't do anything about it. I had also heard at my interview that the curriculum has changed again for entering P1's, yes? No?

My goal is to pursue clinical pharmacy, particularly pediatrics. I'm also from Dallas so therefore the fact that I've been assigned DFW for my rotations during my P3 and P4 years is another plus. The final thing that has truly drawn me to Texas Tech is how kind every faculty member I've encountered and contacted during this admissions process has been...

Reading these mixed reviews have made me more confused and hesitant about my decision. I know pharmacy school will be difficult and I'm definitely ready to take on that challenge, buuuut I just want to make sure that I'm not going to make pharmacy school more difficult on myself than it should be.

I would say about 5-10 people do not graduate with their entering class. The main reason being biochemistry. That class is a prerequisite for many of the classes you will have to take in your pharmacy career. If you do fail it, you will not be able to take it again until the next year, putting you on the 5 year plan. But, it's not what TTP says that any failed class will put you on the 5 year path. Yes, there are some classes that will put you behind a year, but not all classes are prerequisites for future classes. It will be your basic sciences that can get you off track.

The students at the interviews aren't lying. We're all trying to get through this together. I studied with many of my classmates here and it helps to have people go through the material with you. But, it's not automatic or set up by the school. You have to be social to a point and find others who study the way you do and be proactive in your career. The school also has a watch system, where if you do poorly on a test and seem to be struggling in a class they will discuss with you your studying habits and find a classmate who is doing well in the class who is willing to help you with the material. There is also something called the second chance policy where if you pass at least half the tests in a class but still manage to fail it with a 65-69 you can take a cumulative final to try and pass the class and stay on track.

The class of 2014's schedule looks very similar to my schedule this year, at least this fall. I think they have finally set on a schedule that they feel is best for us. Check your message inbox.

I'm not trying to spin anything to try and convince you to go to Tech. This is your decision and it's best if you choose where you go. I don't get any money or any benefits by being on the boards. I'm just telling you what Tech has to offer. My advice is the same as it is in my last post. Choose the school that you think you can be happy at for four years and that will be most beneficial to your future.

Does anyone know how many times the ad committee will meet? I interviewed a long time ago and I am just loosing hope that this wont be my year :(

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that. There are still two more interview dates so the adcom will meet at least one more time. Fortunately, since you interviewed earlier your application will get reviewed again. Don't lose hope yet.

There are students who won't participate in the interview process because they don't feel as if they can put on a face and pretend this is a great program.

Tech has some major problems right now that apparently were not problems with past classes that have graduated. I think part of it stems from the lack of interest in students shown by the Dean. They changed the setup of the curriculum for the current P2 class when they were part way through the program. When it was pointed out to him that meant that the current P2s would have 10 classes this spring (21 hours), his response was basically to quit whining because there are 700 people out there who want our seats. It was actually 23 hours, but they changed two of the classes so that there would be two hours less on the schedule. The material didn't change, though.

This means that this year the P1s and P2s, and the P2s and P3s have had classes together. Imagine a class of 300 students being taught on at least two campuses in at least four different rooms with unreliable technology. Any other school would have split the classes up.

Well I have to say personally I do feel that our program is harder, curriculum wise, than most schools out there. We, as P1's, are currently in the same situation as the P2's and are taking 21 hours and has been cut down to 21 from what should be >23 hours. It is hard, but the one thing that I want to stress is that in four years you will take on a tremendous amount of responsibility as a pharmacist and personally I want the best equipment and preparation that I can get. I honestly feel that Texas Tech will provide me with that and as I finish my first year I still feel this way. As I can say how other schools are, though I am sure they are easier, I would prefer the better education for my money and for my career as it will definitely pay off in the end. Just my two cents though take it as you will!

don't lose hope! on the calendar online it says that admission offers will keep getting sent out until the end of may. and if you interviewed a long time ago, you're still getting reviewed everytime they meet. I interviewed at Abilene on the very first date for early admissions, and am having trouble keeping hope alive as well. But, all we can do is wait.

don't lose hope! on the calendar online it says that admission offers will keep getting sent out until the end of may. and if you interviewed a long time ago, you're still getting reviewed everytime they meet. I interviewed at Abilene on the very first date for early admissions, and am having trouble keeping hope alive as well. But, all we can do is wait.

Yes you never know when you will get an invite, personally I didn't get my invite till the Friday before bootcamp started. It was quite stressful but worth it in the end.

Hey guys- I received acceptance letter earlier this week. So, those who are waiting-do not loose hope.

Does anyone know the dates for bootcamp this year?

august 1st white coat ceremony at 1:30 i believe.......and august 2nd bootcamp starts for p1s.....the week after bootcamp a 1 hr course begins for p1s also already from 9-13

5 hours of biochemistry? Looks like I need to start stocking up on energy drinks now.

Also, I was expecting 22-23 hours but there's only 18 now?

Adcom meets today, then one more time near the end of the month from what I hear. After that, its down to the waitlists.

Interviewd 2/26
Accepted !!!!!! 4/16 :)

So for all of those who are still waiting for acceptance letters, don't loose hope.!

5 hours of biochemistry? Looks like I need to start stocking up on energy drinks now.

Also, I was expecting 22-23 hours but there's only 18 now?

Do not let this fool you...the hours do not translate to the time spent in school. and yes, 5 hr biochem. It is a rough course that 3, i believe, students failed at the Amarillo campus. Just stay on top of your stuff and you will be fine. Also, make friends with the P2s upon arrival; in my instance, I have manually typed reviews for every difficult class for the P1 yr and will continue throughout the yrs.

Thank you so much for posting the facebook group and the class schedule. I could not find it anywhere. The schedule does not appear to be as chaotic as everyone says. I can't wait to meet all my classmates! Everyone seems so nice! :)

I interviewed at Abilene, but I will be in Amarillo for P1/P2 and Dallas for P3/P4.

Those who are in the Texas Tech program, what are you thoughts about working while going to school? I have heard responses from "work once every 2 weeks" to "don't work if you don't have to".

I was wondering if you still feel this way after that beating that your class took in Integ? Rumor has it that there were 5 P1s that needed a 96 on that Integ final to pass the class. Do you know for sure if that is the case?

The main reason is not biochemistry. That is a P1 perspective on what the hard class is.

I have some numbers for you. 13 failed cardio of the class of 2012. Some of them will be able to take the 2nd chance test, but not all. they had about 5 fail biochem. There's been other classes as well, so it is safe to say they have about 20 people right now who will not graduate with their class.

I don't know where to get solid numbers on how many people are not graduating with the class they started out with. If you want a solid answer, maybe you could ask the admissions people if they can tell you. I think that it is now higher than 5-10.

We are being harped on constantly for cheating. Not saying that the material you get is illegal material, but be careful of that. I have heard more than one instructor say that it is known natiionwide that tech is a school of cheaters. Since I only have the perspective of what we are told, I'd like to as if anybody who is applying heard of that reputation?

Again, I will say that tech does prepare you to take the NAPLEX and become a pharmacist. Every school that is certified is able to do that. It is just a question of how it is done.

I need some advise from you TTPsomething, which one will you choose to pursue your education if you were admitted to TSU and Texas Tech? Honest answer please. Thanks

Has anyone heard anything since the admissions committee met April 30th? My stats were above the average in comparison to those listed for prior years and I had a good interview. I don't know what the problem is

I heard that some people will be placed on wait lists and some people will be send out rejection letters...............But dont know exactly when that is going to take place

Does it mean if you don't get letter by now, you either will be on the waited-list or rejected?

Does it mean if you don't get letter by now, you either will be on the waited-list or rejected?

I was told more letters will be sent out depending on how many people deny their spot. Admission committee will not meet again so if you have not recieved a letter then its either you are on waited list or rejected, but I think they don't send out rejection letter. Good luck keep your hopes high everything is possible don't get up ok.

I just got an alternate list email today!
I guess i should be happy.
I wonder how many people are on this list. they're not specific about number you are.

Good luck to everyone

I just got an alternate list email today!
I guess i should be happy.
I wonder how many people are on this list. they're not specific about number you are.

Good luck to everyone

I also got an email being on the alternate list. Let hope for the best.