Texas Tech entering C/O 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whtdasheezy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, just wanted to get this thread started and to meet my future classmates!! :D

Holla

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I'm another one of your classmates. I look forward to meeting you. :)

Isn't it entering class of 2005? :D :D

By the way, congrats!! :luck:

-tx

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!

Now, Come Celebrate Your Acceptance And Meet Your New Classmates!!
We Are Meeting At Trudy's On 30th Street In Austin At 9pm Tonight

Just wanted to congratulate all of you. I'm a 1st yr here at Tech. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Once again, congrats.

Hey everyone,

i'll be in your class, I own a home in Lubbock and have been living here the past year. If anybody has any questions please feel free to contact me,

joe

txguy said:
Isn't it entering class of 2005? :D :D

By the way, congrats!! :luck:

-tx

lol, thats right man...i meant entering class of 2005 :p

theringworm said:
Just wanted to congratulate all of you. I'm a 1st yr here at Tech. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Once again, congrats.
Me too. Feel free to contact us anytime..... congrats

thackl said:
Me too. Feel free to contact us anytime..... congrats

Hey classmates... I'm sooo excited, i can't wait to meet you all. Lubbock here we come!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to meeting you guys! See ya'll in Lubbock in ~6 months!!! :D

MedicoTre said:
Looking forward to meeting you guys! See ya'll in Lubbock in ~6 months!!! :D

Congrats man--paying in-state tuition is a huge plus. See you around!

Don't worry, I'll give back the biochem stuff when I see Kristen!

-tx

Just to round it out, I'm a 3rd year at Tech (with two rotations left, woo!)

Tiene preguntas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Espion said:
Just to round it out, I'm a 3rd year at Tech (with two rotations left, woo!)

Tiene preguntas?

Hey To any current Texas Tech Med students there....Do you guys know a 1st or 2nd year student named Omar Manalpaz - I think??? I housed with him when I interviewed and he really helped me out...Just wanted to let him know that I got in and quite possibly might go....decisions... :confused:

California applicant - name is Van. Thanks!

Congrats to everyone! I will be in yalls class as well.
:)

CharlieVN said:
Hey To any current Texas Tech Med students there....Do you guys know a 1st or 2nd year student named Omar Manalpaz - I think??? I housed with him when I interviewed and he really helped me out...Just wanted to let him know that I got in and quite possibly might go....decisions... :confused:

California applicant - name is Van. Thanks!

I know him. I'll let him know. You won't regret coming here, I promise.

Hey wait, Van, I am Shane. I think you are the guy I interviewed with before. We talked at nauseum during lunch when you came here. You were applying to the MD MBA program right? If so, congrats man. I was hoping to see what the word was from you but had no way of getting in contact with you. Wake Forest is a good school too. I had a buddy go there. Congrats on getting in,....to several schools. Well good luck making up your mind. Let me know what your final decision is. Later

Howdy! :D

Congratulations soon-to-be Red Raiders! How great did it feel to check the match and realize that you had gotten into med school?! I know that everyone worked very hard to get this far and I just wanted to let you guys know how psyched I am to meet you all.

How about some quick introductions? Undergrad institution/age/location/other random, fun facts? I am officially new to the SDN, though I have perused the interview feedback section before.

My name is Amy, and I went to the University of Virginia for undergrad. I moved to Lubbock last June, I am 23, and I work as a paramedic for Lubbock EMS! My boyfriend Robert also got into Texas Tech Med, so he and I will both meet you all at orientation and all that jazz.

Anyway, hope to hear from you all soon.

Wreck 'em Tech! :D

Amy

Great idea, Amy.
I am a student at Tech now, 21, finishing in May. Tech is a great school, and I really like Lubbock as well. I am so excited about meeting all of you!
I would be glad to answer any questions about Lubbock as well.
Congratulations again! :D

hey ringworm & thackl -

any advice for our summer-before-med-school? besides relaxing and enjoying the last of our freedom ( :laugh: ), is there anything you wish you'd done? also, when do we learn about financial aid, & when do classes start?

so many questions, i know. thanks so much for the help! :)

Amy

amy2003uva said:
hey ringworm & thackl -

any advice for our summer-before-med-school? besides relaxing and enjoying the last of our freedom ( :laugh: ), is there anything you wish you'd done? also, when do we learn about financial aid, & when do classes start?

so many questions, i know. thanks so much for the help! :)

Amy

Do exactly what you said, enjoy it. I DO NOT recommend trying to get ahead by starting to study this spring or summer. This is literally the last free summer you'll have for ~10 yrs or more. You do have a summer b/w 1st and 2nd year but most people fill that up with preceptorships or research. So, go on that vacation you have always wanted to go on. Europe, S. America, Tahiti, etc.etc. Don't waste the time you'll regret it. I have no idea when you findout about financial aid. You should be starting your FAFSA app already. I think it was late May when I foundout how much I was getting in financial aid. When you do findout how much they allot you don't freak out. If you need more it's available, and very easy to access. I believe classes start Aug 15th though don't hold me to it. You'll have to be here about 7 days prior to that though for orientation. So as a general assumption plan on being here the first week of Aug. Also, sometime in late March or early April, we'll have a "Spring Training" for all of you and that's when you findout a lot more info about school and get to meet everyone. I highly recommend coming to this. Details to come, just keep checking your mailboxes. So just kick back relax and make this the best spring/summer you've ever had. (man that sounds cheezy) Hope this helps.

Does anyone know how Tech deals with the waitlist? Is it ranked or are candidates reviewed upon openings?

Thanks and congrat's to all you new Raiders :thumbup:

OrthoFixation said:
Does anyone know how Tech deals with the waitlist? Is it ranked or are candidates reviewed upon openings?

Thanks and congrat's to all you new Raiders :thumbup:
I'm not sure and they are pretty tight-lipped about it. I do know that location (ie: living in Lubbock) becomes an issue as things get real close. We had a girl get into our class on the last day of orientation when a budy of mine dropped out to finish some post-doc work. Talk about cutting it close.

Hope to see you all at the spring training this April.

Congratulations, and welcome to TT Medical School.
I am in my 3rd year, and just want to emphasize that you'll get a great education at Tech. Enjoy the summer, because you will be taking on a lot starting this fall. Again, congrats and welcome to the family.

Hey current Tech SOM'ers -

How many people in your class(es) work/have worked while in med school? I am currently a paramedic with Lubbock EMS, and I would love to be able to stay on part-time/on-call. Unfortunately I am worried about the volume of work and my ability to juggle work and school. I love working 911 and would miss it if I had to completely resign, so I was hoping to work a few shifts here and there. What do you think - am I totally insane or is this even somewhat feasible? :confused:

Thanks for the advice.

Amy

Congrats to everyone who matched at Tech!

I have a question regarding their curriculum. Is it organ based and do they have any PBL integrated into the classes?

amy2003uva said:
Hey current Tech SOM'ers -

How many people in your class(es) work/have worked while in med school? I am currently a paramedic with Lubbock EMS, and I would love to be able to stay on part-time/on-call. Unfortunately I am worried about the volume of work and my ability to juggle work and school. I love working 911 and would miss it if I had to completely resign, so I was hoping to work a few shifts here and there. What do you think - am I totally insane or is this even somewhat feasible? :confused:

Thanks for the advice.

Amy

There's a guy in my class (we are first years) who is a EMT at a small town just outside of Lubbock. He does a 7pm-7am shift and is doing fine in school. I think the key for him is that the town he is in doesn't avg. many calls at all. So he is basically getting paid to sleep or study. Lubbock may be a dif. story due to the call load. Try it out, and if doesn't work then quit.

lost said:
Congrats to everyone who matched at Tech!

I have a question regarding their curriculum. Is it organ based and do they have any PBL integrated into the classes?

From what i understand, the teaching method is fairly classical at tech although they said they were reformingit a little. I want to know more about this also.

They dont have PBL, but we can form our stugy groups once we start school i guess :thumbup:

Ortho - Here's a posting from the TTUHSC SOM website, concerning the alternate list:

A Message for the 2005 Texas Tech Alternates
02/02/05

Those interviewees that have been assigned an alternate status by the Office of Admissions need to know about how the alternate list works.

The list is ordered alphabetically. The ranking system used to formulate the original match list is no longer used.
When someone is selected from the list, cognitive and interview scores are considered as starting points. Next, many other factors are examined which include the extensive review of letters of evaluation and interviewer comments.
Although offers can be made at any time, the alternate list typically doesn't open up until March.

Good luck!!! :D

First and Second year teaching is still fairy traditional. Last year (in my 2nd year) they started a new class called "Integration and Analysis". This is a class where two weeks worth (I think it is every week now) of pharm, path, and whatever-else have you are integrated into case studies.

In retrospect, I was actually very happy that Tech is not organ systems based. Basically, once you go over cardiac physiology during the "heart" block, you never see it again. But with Tech, you go over it in phys, then pharm, then path...get it? Repetition is key. It gets annoying sometimes, and other times, you'll be glad the light bulb went off.

Honestly I don't know anything about the current first years because I'm not in Lubbock any more, but hopefully (and most likely) they'll be great and help you guys out.

As for working, that is your own perogative. Personally, I couldn't have done it.

Enjoy your summer, don't work too hard.

Espion said:
First and Second year teaching is still fairy traditional. Last year (in my 2nd year) they started a new class called "Integration and Analysis". This is a class where two weeks worth (I think it is every week now) of pharm, path, and whatever-else have you are integrated into case studies.

In retrospect, I was actually very happy that Tech is not organ systems based. Basically, once you go over cardiac physiology during the "heart" block, you never see it again. But with Tech, you go over it in phys, then pharm, then path...get it? Repetition is key. It gets annoying sometimes, and other times, you'll be glad the light bulb went off.

Honestly I don't know anything about the current first years because I'm not in Lubbock any more, but hopefully (and most likely) they'll be great and help you guys out.

As for working, that is your own perogative. Personally, I couldn't have done it.

Enjoy your summer, don't work too hard.

Actually, you future 1st years will be experiencing the new curriculum that is being implemented here at Tech. Yes they are going to systems based program. How is that going to change from the way it is now, nobody knows. We are speculating that it will be a lot like UTMBs curriculum, atleast that's what we have heard. I.e. you'll take anatomy for 6 straight weeks, and then start your systems. Remember, this is just speculation. I don't think anyone will know until yall show up for the first day of class.

theringworm said:
Actually, you future 1st years will be experiencing the new curriculum that is being implemented here at Tech. Yes they are going to systems based program. How is that going to change from the way it is now, nobody knows. We are speculating that it will be a lot like UTMBs curriculum, atleast that's what we have heard. I.e. you'll take anatomy for 6 straight weeks, and then start your systems. Remember, this is just speculation. I don't think anyone will know until yall show up for the first day of class.
I was told me the current plan is drop Anatomy to 12wks with clinical exposure starting right away (a portion of the class will go each day). The rest will be organ based (histo, bio, phys, ect). We'll see.

hey current raiders!

i'm curious to know how you all choose where you were going to be (el paso, amarillo, lubbock) for the clinical years. that's unique to our school and i wondered if anyone had info on the process... do we select now, before school starts? are we put somewhere randomly? what's the word on the different places? :confused:

thnx guys! :)

amy

amy2003uva said:
hey current raiders!

i'm curious to know how you all choose where you were going to be (el paso, amarillo, lubbock) for the clinical years. that's unique to our school and i wondered if anyone had info on the process... do we select now, before school starts? are we put somewhere randomly? what's the word on the different places? :confused:

amy

Amy,

Sometime mid April or May, if memory serves me correct, you'll get a letter in the mail that asks you to "rank" the three cities; Lubbock, El Paso, and Amarillo, in the order that you would like to attend for your clinical rotations. You will be asked to write a brief paragraph stating your reasons for chosing your top choice. About 50% will go to El Paso, 20% to Amarillo and 30% to Lubbock (these are rough estimates). So this should tell you that you need good reasons to stay in Lubbock or Amarillo. Most of the Lubbock spots get filled with MD/MBA, and MD/PHD students. Whatever is left generally goes to people who are married or have families or whom are established in Lubbock. Basically, if you don't have a good reason to stay in Lubbock you probably won't. However, don't let this distract you from trying. Amarillo is great for people who think they may be interested in surgery, but don't let that be your deciding factor. El Paso is great for overwhelming exsposure to OB and border health. You have plenty of time to think about. Enjoy your time off and worry about this stuff as it comes to you. Tech is great about sending out info to let you know what is going on.

theringworm said:

Damn, the curriculum board has got everyone's panties in a wad (not you, but this is millionth rumor I've seen/heard! heh) From what I remember, their template was supposed to be New Mexico's curriculum. But there is a high probability that I'm wrong, especially since I've been out of the loop.

Are you a 1st or 2nd year? Is this straight from Dr. Bickley?

amy2003uva said:
hey current raiders!

amy

If you want to hear about El Paso, I'll write something out for you. El Paso is also excellent for family practice, peds and internal medicine (from sheer volume and diversity of cases).

Anyway, let me know what you are interested in, and I'll write something out later.

Espion said:
Damn, the curriculum board has got everyone's panties in a wad (not you, but this is millionth rumor I've seen/heard! heh) From what I remember, their template was supposed to be New Mexico's curriculum. But there is a high probability that I'm wrong, especially since I've been out of the loop.

Are you a 1st or 2nd year? Is this straight from Dr. Bickley?

I have heard that they are trying to pattern our clinical years after UCSF, UVA, but nothing for 1st and 2nd. Then again, I've also heard that Dr. Bickly thinks UNM and U. Rochester NY are the best schools in the country so you may be right. As I mentioned before, at this point it's all speculation and no one will know until the new first years start.

theringworm said:
I have heard that they are trying to pattern our clinical years after UCSF, UVA, but nothing for 1st and 2nd. Then again, I've also heard that Dr. Bickly thinks UNM and U. Rochester NY are the best schools in the country so you may be right. As I mentioned before, at this point it's all speculation and no one will know until the new first years start.

Ya, she comes from Rochester. Figures.

The only thing I heard with clinicals is possibly shortening psych, extending pediatrics. Rumors, of course. As far as I know, its still 6 weeks of OB-GYN, family, psych, and peds and 12 weeks of internal medicine and surgery.

espion -

yes, do tell us what el paso is like. i appreciate the input! :)

also - what is the white coat ceremony like? my family is on the east coast and i was wondering if it was something that i should have the fam come out to, or if it was more for the students.

thnx,
amy

Hey Amy, thanks for the note above about TTU web info ;)

amy2003uva said:
espion -

yes, do tell us what el paso is like. i appreciate the input! :)

also - what is the white coat ceremony like? my family is on the east coast and i was wondering if it was something that i should have the fam come out to, or if it was more for the students.

thnx,
amy
The white coat ceremony seemed to be geared more toward family and it was very nice, but unless your family has lots of time/money, it's not a big deal to miss.

Espion said:
I did my undergrad in Rochester. What's the big deal? I've been told the med school is pretty good, but no big deal. Their wait list has tons of movement/turnover every yr because people don't want to pay the astronomical tuition.

Espion said:

The only thing I heard with clinicals is possibly shortening psych, extending pediatrics. Rumors, of course. As far as I know, its still 6 weeks of OB-GYN, family, psych, and peds and 12 weeks of internal medicine and surgery.

In regards to the changes, they are thinking about doing away with the the 3rd and 4th yrs rotating with multiple attendings/residents while on a service but instead have one attending/resident with that same student their entire rotation. In my opinion this is a terrible idea. Some attendings teach better than others and you don't always get along know do you? It's not set in stone but that's what has been proposed. It wouldn't take place for alteast a yr or two so you'll be okay. The next two yrs are going to be full of surprises I think.

thackl said:
I did my undergrad in Rochester. What's the big deal? I've been told the med school is pretty good, but no big deal. Their wait list has tons of movement/turnover every yr because people don't want to pay the astronomical tuition.

What I intended to say: It figures that Rochester is a heavy influence because of her background there. I didn't mean to imply anything about Rochester, which I, admittedly, know nothing about. Case of the bad internet writing. Sorry, yo. :)

theringworm said:
In regards to the changes, they are thinking about doing away with the the 3rd and 4th yrs rotating with multiple attendings/residents while on a service but instead have one attending/resident with that same student their entire rotation. In my opinion this is a terrible idea. Some attendings teach better than others and you don't always get along know do you? It's not set in stone but that's what has been proposed. It wouldn't take place for alteast a yr or two so you'll be okay. The next two yrs are going to be full of surprises I think.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I diagnose them ALL with Delusional Disorder. There is no way that could/would/should happen.

It is not the resident's first priority to teach students. Their job is to take care of their patients and hopefully teach the students something useful in the meantime. Believe me, when the residents get overloaded with work, the last thing they'll think about is the welfare of the students when they are trying to keep patients alive. And yes, that is completely understandable.

So far, I think the students that have the worst time during the clinical years (aside from the students with horrid interpersonal skills) are the ones that erroneously believe that the doctors exist to teach them everything they need to know. If you fail to have the motivation to read on your own, then you'll get screwed on the exams.

And you have an excellent point. Not all residents/attendings are created equal in reference to their teaching ability, knowledge base, work load and efficiency. To deny a student varied points of view would be truly harmful.

Hey everyone, I've also matched to Tech. I'm really looking forward to finishing college and getting started with med school. I don't know how things will pan out for me in the end, but hope to see some of you at Tech! :) My family's in the Dallas area (anyone from there?), but I'm going to school out-of-state (anyone?).

btw...which Tech campus is best for Infecious Disease/ Emergency Medicine? and for those of you who don't know any Spanish, what's a good way to go about learning some before going into the 3rd/4th year (El Paso, esp)?

Anyhow, it's late. Adios ;)

hjt

hjt said:
Hey everyone, I've also matched to Tech. I'm really looking forward to finishing college and getting started with med school. I don't know how things will pan out for me in the end, but hope to see some of you at Tech! :) My family's in the Dallas area (anyone from there?), but I'm going to school out-of-state (anyone?).

btw...which Tech campus is best for Infecious Disease/ Emergency Medicine? and for those of you who don't know any Spanish, what's a good way to go about learning some before going into the 3rd/4th year (El Paso, esp)?

Anyhow, it's late. Adios ;)

hjt

Hi hjt!

Congrats on the match. Are you still deciding b/w Tech and other schools, or are you pretty set on Lubbock? :D I matched at Tech, and I'm also an out of state applicant (went to UVA undergrad '03, and i'm still a VA resident until July - thank God I'll be able to claim in-state tuition by then!).

Where are you in school now? I live in Lubbock now, and I'm totally psyched to start school in August.

Espion was going to post something about El Paso, which would be great, because I don't know much about it. You can't go wrong, though - I'm familiar with UMC (the University Medical Center) here in Lubbock, and I've also visited the Amarillo campus, and I've been impressed with both. Hopefully we'll hear word from someone who's in the know about El Paso.

Congrats again!

Amy :)

So does anyone here know what the student body at the med school is like? Is it cohesive? Are they a lot of student organisations? I'm just wondering as to what living in lubbock will be like....

lost said:
So does anyone here know what the student body at the med school is like? Is it cohesive? Are they a lot of student organisations? I'm just wondering as to what living in lubbock will be like....

I can only speak for my class, I'm a first year, and say that we are a very cohesive group. Everyone seems to get a long and are always willing to help each other out. From what I have heard the other 3 classes are just as cohesive. Remember though, it's what you and your classmates make of it. Just because one class is doesn't mean the next one will be. There are more than enough organizations to get involved with. If there's something you want that hasn't been started then you can always start your own club. Lubbock is a layed back town. Not fast paced at all. If you're into IM sports we always have several teams going. If the bar scene is you, then you'll have plenty of options for that as well. Make sure you come out for spring training so that you can experience most of this yourself. It will answer a lot of questions as well as introduce you to your future classmates and upper classmen. Look for more info about in the mail w/in the next two months.

2tall said:
for hjt and others

Learn Spanish

Maybe we can all plan a trip for Summer 2006!

Thanks~ Definitely comforting to know that I'm not the only one floating in the no-Spanish skill category. How is El Paso? I really like Tech when I was there for interview and for high school things years back, but, well, El Paso seems waaaaaay out West. I hear a lot about El Paso being a great place to learn about "boarder health" issues. So, what exactly does that mean? hmmm :rolleyes: :) Of course, there's always the skiing to look forward to whenever there's the chance to do that.

hjt