Texas Tech entering C/O 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah - how's el paso? :confused: :)

Members don't see this ad.

my grades kind of slipped my last semester. Tech doesnt care as long as i pass all my classes and get my degree, right? i got 3 C's and 2 B's...i had no motivation to study what so ever.

neway guyz,

holla @ me

Its nice to meet you folks.

My name is Ken. I live in Denton, TX now and I'm from Utah. Went to BYU-Idaho, Utah, and U of North Texas. Married with 1 kiddo. And Im goin to Tech-SOM fall 2005! ....Personally, i'm looking forward to not working during school. ...I'm looking to rent a house in Lubbock... Id like to get a fall softball team going with the city or something too.

-Keep it real

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Ken!

Nice to meet you. My boyfriend and I live in a great neighborhood in Lubbock so if you need advice/suggestions about housing, let me know.

I know there are city soccer leagues that some of the law/med students are involved with, and there are also city softball teams in the summer. I don't know about intramurals through the SOM, though.

Welcome to Lubbock!

Amy

txtobler said:
Its nice to meet you folks.

My name is Ken. I live in Denton, TX now and I'm from Utah. Went to BYU-Idaho, Utah, and U of North Texas. Married with 1 kiddo. And Im goin to Tech-SOM fall 2005! ....Personally, i'm looking forward to not working during school. ...I'm looking to rent a house in Lubbock... Id like to get a fall softball team going with the city or something too.

-Keep it real

Ken,

Do I know you? I grew up in Denton, graduated from Denton High, and then went to UNT. My wife went to BYU. My name is Shane Huffman. Feel free to email me at shane dot huffman at ttuhsc.edu if you wish, anyone else can do the same if they have some questions about the school.

When and where did everybody interview?

I interviewed Friday, November 12th in El Paso.

2tall said:

friday, december 3rd, in lubbock. anyone else?

amy2003uva said:
friday, december 3rd, in lubbock. anyone else?

The last interview..mmm...1st week of Jan. in Lubbock.

hjt said:
The last interview..mmm...1st week of Jan. in Lubbock.

It's nice to know that there are other married med students coming to Lubbock this fall. I'm also married, and my husband plans on attending TTU for his undergrad (non traditional student). I plan on going to Lubbock this weekend to ck out some apartments, etc. Also, my husband has never been there and he is very curious to know what the town is like. We are both very excited!!
I think this is going to be a great experience for all of us (regardless of the enourmous amount of work we'll have to do), and I'm really looking forward to it. ;)

2tall said:

i interviewed that same day. :laugh:

Hey I'm entering class 2005 too.

Are any of you MD/MBA for this year as well? Trying to find out if anyone else will be there this summer.

I'm envious of all of you that actually will get a summer. I was looking over my planned course schedule for June '05 and MWF I have classes 10AM-7PM with no lunchbreak... *sigh*

Anyways, HELLO ALL!

Hey guys!

I found this info about the re-vamped curriculum interesting, so I thought i'd share it with you all.

It looks like we may be going to a form of systems. I don't know exactly what the curriculum used to be like, but as MS1's we may be spending the first three months on anatomy, followed by two months of cell bio/histology. After that, the word is that we have 2 week blocks for each of the following: genetics, cardiovascular, respiratory, renal, GI/nutrition, endocrine/reproduction, and immunology. Wrap it all up with a month + of microbio and infectious diseases. Throughout the whole year, starting with week 1, we're going to have "clinical experience/foundations of medical practice". Clinical experience starting week 1... if it's true, that is pretty cool.

Anyway, this isn't official by any means, but I was psyched to hear about a rough outline. To current students - how similar/dissimilar does this sound to your 1st year experience?

theringworm said:
I know him. I'll let him know. You won't regret coming here, I promise.

Hey wait, Van, I am Shane. I think you are the guy I interviewed with before. We talked at nauseum during lunch when you came here. You were applying to the MD MBA program right? If so, congrats man. I was hoping to see what the word was from you but had no way of getting in contact with you. Wake Forest is a good school too. I had a buddy go there. Congrats on getting in,....to several schools. Well good luck making up your mind. Let me know what your final decision is. Later

Wait I think that was me, Vinh :) . I'm working in CA and doing MD/MBA. I met so many ppl I forgot all the names by now. O wait Shane, I think that was you that I met. You went to UNT right? I remember you telling me about it since I was a 2nd time interviewer there at Tech and you'd mentioned you got ni your 2nd time too.

Alos, does anyone know med students looking for a subleaser? I know summer subleases can be a little bit cheaper since when I subleased back in austin we usually did it for about 70% of the usual rent cost. Tht way I saved the 70% and didn't have to pay the utilities instead of eating the costs all summer long. If you guys know anyone looking for someone to sublease give them my e-mail, [email protected] . Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
amy2003uva said:
Hey guys!

I found this info about the re-vamped curriculum interesting, so I thought i'd share it with you all.

It looks like we may be going to a form of systems. I don't know exactly what the curriculum used to be like, but as MS1's we may be spending the first three months on anatomy, followed by two months of cell bio/histology. After that, the word is that we have 2 week blocks for each of the following: genetics, cardiovascular, respiratory, renal, GI/nutrition, endocrine/reproduction, and immunology. Wrap it all up with a month + of microbio and infectious diseases. Throughout the whole year, starting with week 1, we're going to have "clinical experience/foundations of medical practice". Clinical experience starting week 1... if it's true, that is pretty cool.

Anyway, this isn't official by any means, but I was psyched to hear about a rough outline. To current students - how similar/dissimilar does this sound to your 1st year experience?

Hi Amy2003uva

I was just wondering where did you get the information about the way the new curriculum would be next year?

civic4982 said:
Wait I think that was me, Vinh :) . I'm working in CA and doing MD/MBA. I met so many ppl I forgot all the names by now. O wait Shane, I think that was you that I met. You went to UNT right? I remember you telling me about it since I was a 2nd time interviewer there at Tech and you'd mentioned you got ni your 2nd time too.

Alos, does anyone know med students looking for a subleaser? I know summer subleases can be a little bit cheaper since when I subleased back in austin we usually did it for about 70% of the usual rent cost. Tht way I saved the 70% and didn't have to pay the utilities instead of eating the costs all summer long. If you guys know anyone looking for someone to sublease give them my e-mail, [email protected] . Thanks.

Yea, Congrats man. Let me know if I can help you out in any way. I do know that some people in my class came up early in the summer and bargained with the apt manager for a price on their apt. They got a great deal. Not sure where it was though. Anyhow, congrats again. My email is shane dot [email protected]

amy2003uva said:
Hey guys!

The only thing that is similar is that is we are on semesters and it sounds like your first semester will be similar to how ours was. After that it totally changes.

techmed said:
Hi Amy2003uva

I was just wondering where did you get the information about the way the new curriculum would be next year?

hey techmed -
it's not on the website yet as far as i know, but i just heard through word of mouth on campus. i work at umc so i heard through the lubbock grapevine. :)

amy2003uva said:
hey techmed -
it's not on the website yet as far as i know, but i just heard through word of mouth on campus. i work at umc so i heard through the lubbock grapevine. :)

Ok thanks... was just wondering because they seem kind of cautious to tell us anything about the upcoming years' curriculum at this point.

Another question... are we going have big classes or are they going to break us up into smaller groups?

techmed said:
Ok thanks... was just wondering because they seem kind of cautious to tell us anything about the upcoming years' curriculum at this point.

Another question... are we going have big classes or are they going to break us up into smaller groups?

that's a great question, though i have no idea.

so, where are you from? are you psyched about being a red raider? :D

amy2003uva said:
that's a great question, though i have no idea.

so, where are you from? are you psyched about being a red raider? :D

I actually go to Tech so I'm super psyched about staying a red raider. :thumbup:

I feel like such the underachiever right now. Am I the only one who doesn't give a flying #### about how the curriculum is? I'm just stoked about going back to school!!! ;) I will however miss actually HAVING money.

civic4982 said:
I'm just stoked about going back to school!!! ;) I will however miss actually HAVING money.

haha dude i couldn't agree more. i'm working major OT right now to save up some $$ so i don't feel completely broke picking up those loan checks once school starts. working 80+ hour weeks on the ambulance has REALLY made me appreciate the "real world", and i am STOKED to be a student once again.
:D :D :D

amy2003uva said:
haha dude i couldn't agree more. i'm working major OT right now to save up some $$ so i don't feel completely broke picking up those loan checks once school starts. working 80+ hour weeks on the ambulance has REALLY made me appreciate the "real world", and i am STOKED to be a student once again.
:D :D :D

I know eveyone is trying to work and save as much as possible before school. That's great, especially if you are trying to pay off debt. But, try and make time for yourselfs prior to school starting. You may regret busting your hump all spring and summer instead of enjoying it. You'll get more than enough money in financial aid, so don't let that be your reason for working so hard.

In regards to your classes, everyone will be in the same class, all 140 of you.

hey is anyone going to be in Western Europe in April? Just wondering if any of you are taking a trip since I'll be there.

Shane: how much is the max we can get for fin. aid for first year? Do you remember how mcuh they allowed you to take out? Any tips on place to rent from that are nice out there and where I can find a 1 bedroom for less than 650-700?

Thanks for the info about the curriculum, Amy. Sounds like they haven't tied up the loose ends on it yet though. I like the block idea, but it seems like we won't be able to use old tests or upperclassmen for as much help. We'll all be in the same boat though, and I'm psyched to see they are trying to modernize it a little bit.
As for apartments, living in Lubbock is cheap and the majority of places will be under 700 for a one bedroom. Plus it doesn't take very long to get across town so you can be pretty open as to where you want to live.

civic4982 said:
hey is anyone going to be in Western Europe in April? Just wondering if any of you are taking a trip since I'll be there.

nice! i wish i could say i was going to be there as well, but i'm not. :) where are you traveling to? sounds like a great trip idea. i went to vegas in december and am hoping to take a scuba trip somewhere this spring, because i know once the fall rolls around i won't the time. i think the key is balancing work and fun so we're not burned out by the time school starts in august. :thumbup:

hope you all are having a great week. :D

Lily22 said:
Thanks for the info about the curriculum, Amy. Sounds like they haven't tied up the loose ends on it yet though. I like the block idea, but it seems like we won't be able to use old tests or upperclassmen for as much help. We'll all be in the same boat though, and I'm psyched to see they are trying to modernize it a little bit.
As for apartments, living in Lubbock is cheap and the majority of places will be under 700 for a one bedroom. Plus it doesn't take very long to get across town so you can be pretty open as to where you want to live.

hey lily! yes, i like the block idea, too. i hear anatomy and biochem are the worst so we may as well get those out of the way early!

i was wondering about old exams and exam returning in general - if we were able to see our exams afterwards to see what we missed. i think i asked some students when i was interviewing and they said that exams are not returned, in general. can we set up appts w/the profs to review them? that's kind of a big thing for me and i'm hoping we can. as for old exams, i doubt we'll be so lucky :laugh: :luck:

amy2003uva said:
nice! i wish i could say i was going to be there as well, but i'm not. :) where are you traveling to? sounds like a great trip idea. i went to vegas in december and am hoping to take a scuba trip somewhere this spring, because i know once the fall rolls around i won't the time. i think the key is balancing work and fun so we're not burned out by the time school starts in august. :thumbup:

hope you all are having a great week. :D

I'm starting off in Paris April 5th and leaving from there May 4th. Somewhere inbetween those dates will hopefully be the biggest single adventure of my life. I've never traveled alone to a foreign country with n oone I know living there before so this will be exciting. The plan so far is to spend some time in France/Spain/Italy/Greece. I'm picking up my internal frame backpack and eurorail pass this week!

I wish I was like the rest of you and got to start in the fall. I'd save up more money and go see Asia as well. I have to start May 30th so I'm packing my trip in ASAP. With the extra program I think I lose the next 2 summers and then the 2 summers after that will probably confine me to some type of preceptorships from what my friends have told me. SOOO... this is my last break before going to prison for the next 8+ years.

Anyways there was a point to this and that is : If you're gonna be in any of these 4 countries in April we should meet up!

civic4982 said:

Shane: how much is the max we can get for fin. aid for first year? Do you remember how mcuh they allowed you to take out? Any tips on place to rent from that are nice out there and where I can find a 1 bedroom for less than 650-700?

Vinh, according to FAFSA they alotted me around ~31,000. Now keep in mind I have a kid and a wife. The funny thing was though, my buddies who were single were getting just as much. So this is how it will play out. You'll send in your FAFSA (hopefully real soon), then it goes to Tech and Tech comes back with a figure on how much they are going to loan you. For some it's enough for others it's not even close, esp. if you are working in a high paying field right now. If you need more, go up to Student Services and talked to Sherrie (I think that's her name) and tell her you want a budget revision form. You'll take this form, put in the exspenses that are more realistic and then give it back to her. Generally within a day or two, she'll notify you of how much more you are eligible for. It's literally that simple. The max from the fed. govt you can loan is 38,500. You can always go to the private sector if you need more, though I would try to avoid that (hihger interest rates). Just as an example, I have a guy in my class who is taking out about 60,000 a yr in loans. He has 4-5 kids, and is making two mortgage payments. If you need the money it's accessible.

One more thing, Spring Training for you guys is April 8th-10th so put it down on your calendars. Friday night will be a nice dinner/get together w/ all your classmates and the current first years at the Caprock winery. Sat will have a golf tournament, a picnick at the lake, and apt shopping. Sun morning will be breakfast. You'll get a letter about this in the mail. I just wanted to give yall the heads up b/c last year we got our letter in regards to this a little late.

theringworm said:
One more thing, Spring Training for you guys is April 8th-10th so put it down on your calendars. Friday night will be a nice dinner/get together w/ all your classmates and the current first years at the Caprock winery. Sat will have a golf tournament, a picnick at the lake, and apt shopping. Sun morning will be breakfast. You'll get a letter about this in the mail. I just wanted to give yall the heads up b/c last year we got our letter in regards to this a little late.

aww shiet!!! I'm leaving April 5th!!! I guess I have to reschedule my trip then... When do they let us know the for sure date on this?

how many of you are going to that spring training? I'm not sure if I shoudl reschedule my trip and go to the spring oreintation or not. if I leave after April 10th the nI have to stay until mid may to get a full month in and it puts me really close to have to hurry back to Tech by May 30th. Anyone who's had experience of going/not going could tell me whether or not it's worth delaying my trip?

civic4982 said:
how many of you are going to that spring training? I'm not sure if I shoudl reschedule my trip and go to the spring oreintation or not. if I leave after April 10th the nI have to stay until mid may to get a full month in and it puts me really close to have to hurry back to Tech by May 30th. Anyone who's had experience of going/not going could tell me whether or not it's worth delaying my trip?

Vinh, in my opinion I would skip the training and go on the trip. The positives about going to spring training are that you get to meet your class mates, you'll have an opportunity to look at several apts for rent, and you'll have a good time. If you don't go, you'll meet your classmates when school starts and you'll end up looking for a place to stay after you get here. So in my opinion, go to Europe and enjoy yourself. Spring training is fun and all, but it's definitely no where close to Europe. Besides, if you need a place to stay for a couple of days before you find an apt to move into, I've got an extra bedroom as I am sure so do others here.

theringworm said:
Vinh, in my opinion I would skip the training and go on the trip. The positives about going to spring training are that you get to meet your class mates, you'll have an opportunity to look at several apts for rent, and you'll have a good time. If you don't go, you'll meet your classmates when school starts and you'll end up looking for a place to stay after you get here. So in my opinion, go to Europe and enjoy yourself. Spring training is fun and all, but it's definitely no where close to Europe. Besides, if you need a place to stay for a couple of days before you find an apt to move into, I've got an extra bedroom as I am sure so do others here.

well I'd still go to Europe I'd just postpone it until after the spring training. thanks for the info though I'll definitely think about it. Plus, that way I can get down there and sign a lease on a place to live and just move in once I get back mid may. we'll see....

civic4982 said:
well I'd still go to Europe I'd just postpone it until after the spring training. thanks for the info though I'll definitely think about it. Plus, that way I can get down there and sign a lease on a place to live and just move in once I get back mid may. we'll see....

that is a tough decision to make. have you already purchased flight tix/made hotel/hostel arrangements? if not, you could obviously be more flexible with your dates. in any event, it looks like a win/win situation to me. :)

amy2003uva said:
that is a tough decision to make. have you already purchased flight tix/made hotel/hostel arrangements? if not, you could obviously be more flexible with your dates. in any event, it looks like a win/win situation to me. :)

well my tix are on hold and my railway pass I can start at any time. I haven't really made any arrangemetns for living yet so... it's very flexible at the moment. Maybe I'll change teh dates to go from April 12th-May 10th. 4 weeks seems like plenty of time to get homesick and overspend.

Are any of you in this 2009 class going to be there for this Spring Training or plan to as of now? If someone's traveling from Dallas maybe we can carpool.

civic4982 said:
is there a list out yet that shows who all those who got accepted for TTSOM are? Wanna see if I recognize any of the names.

I'd like to see that too. A&M has their list out, but I haven't seen one for Tech.
Definitely don't skimp on the Europe trip...you will have plenty of time in Lubbock soon enough!

Lily22 said:
I'd like to see that too. A&M has their list out, but I haven't seen one for Tech.
Definitely don't skimp on the Europe trip...you will have plenty of time in Lubbock soon enough!

O well I'm definitely going on my trip, the question is just when. I dind't want to show up in Lubbock this summer and have no friends :(

Hey just out of curiosity, I wanted to know how many people are waiting on decision from baylor or out of state school and will go to that school if accepted. Please let me know b/c, obviosly...
Thanx

civic4982 said:
O well I'm definitely going on my trip, the question is just when. I dind't want to show up in Lubbock this summer and have no friends :(
Don't put too much on this. Spring training is fun, but no big deal. I wouldn't have made a special trip for it, but I was already here so it was easy.

thehopeful said:
Hey just out of curiosity, I wanted to know how many people are waiting on decision from baylor or out of state school and will go to that school if accepted. Please let me know b/c, obviosly...
Thanx

If I get into Harvard I'm sooooo going.

Too bad I didn't apply. :laugh:

No but I was still waiting (aka dreaming) of an inteview from USC/UCLA but since it's so late in the game now I've more or less given up. I haven't recieved the "we had a bajillion applicants this year and only 3 spaces, we're sorry to inform you that you suck" letter from them quite yet so...

I'm still keeping my hopes up for Baylor. either :) or :( or :oops:

hjt

Hello,

I am a 27 year old, borderline non-trad, who will be applying next year and I would appreciate the opportunity to begin a dialog with some of you, especially non-trads, who have been accepted to TTUSOM. Unfortunately the pre-med office here has been of little help in advising me as a non-trad. You know the typical "3.7GPA 30 MCAT, lots of EC's, research, etc." I do not feel that the MCAT will be my toughest hurdle but rather my overall GPA from my original undergrad (Accounting/Finance 3.1). I left a position in commercial banking in Austin to return to school and I have a 3.86 since coming back (1 B in Gen Chem).

Anyway, there is a little background info if it is worth anything. I am most interested in some of your advice on the nuances of the application process.

Here is my email: [email protected]

Thank you.

civic4982 said:

i know! i read that post and i was like, daaaayum! i am really psyched to be able to call 2Tall a future classmate. what he accomplished totally epitomizes the heart and soul of one of my favorite Winston Churchill quotes:

"Never, never, never give up."

congrats 2Tall! :thumbup: :) :thumbup: :)

WideOpenSpaces said:
Hello,

I am a 27 year old, borderline non-trad, who will be applying next year and I would appreciate the opportunity to begin a dialog with some of you, especially non-trads, who have been accepted to TTUSOM. Unfortunately the pre-med office here has been of little help in advising me as a non-trad. You know the typical "3.7GPA 30 MCAT, lots of EC's, research, etc." I do not feel that the MCAT will be my toughest hurdle but rather my overall GPA from my original undergrad (Accounting/Finance 3.1). I left a position in commercial banking in Austin to return to school and I have a 3.86 since coming back (1 B in Gen Chem).

Anyway, there is a little background info if it is worth anything. I am most interested in some of your advice on the nuances of the application process.

Here is my email: [email protected]

Thank you.
I was 28 when I applied (former engineer in Austin for Moto and 3M), married with kids.....but my ap was pretty strong all around. There are a few non-trad's in the class though who said they had some hurdles to jump based on MCAT/old undergrad GPA's. I know one had to apply more than once. If you have some specific questions, I can take them to these guys and see what they say. Let me know.

to those who are in lubbock: i'm going to be out of the country until a few days before orientation, so i was wondering if it was possible to find housing a few days before the actual move-in date...i thought it might be since it's a small town...i was going to have my sister go up there for me..but i'd rather do it myself since it would be an 8 hour drive for her..would it be too risky for me to try finding housing myself???

civic4982: just wanted to introduce myself to you...i'll also be doing the MD/MBA program...i actually graduated from UT-austin this past december :) ...i wont be able to make the orientation...so no need to worry about being the only one there this summer who doesn't know anyone else...anyhoo...look forward to meeting you then...have a good time in europe~

=)) said:
to those who are in lubbock: i'm going to be out of the country until a few days before orientation, so i was wondering if it was possible to find housing a few days before the actual move-in date...i thought it might be since it's a small town...i was going to have my sister go up there for me..but i'd rather do it myself since it would be an 8 hour drive for her..would it be too risky for me to try finding housing myself???

civic4982: just wanted to introduce myself to you...i'll also be doing the MD/MBA program...i actually graduated from UT-austin this past december :) ...i wont be able to make the orientation...so no need to worry about being the only one there this summer who doesn't know anyone else...anyhoo...look forward to meeting you then...have a good time in europe~

Nice to meet you. The name is Vinh. I'll PM you my number. We should talk. There's 8 of us that'll be there this summer I believe. You just came from UT as well? I graduated May '04 so we were probably in at least one of the same classes.

civic & =)) -
so what classes do you guys have this summer? will you have mba classes during the year, too, or only on breaks? sounds pretty hardcore to me! at least you all will be in the groove of studying by the time august rolls around, unlike the rest of us (unless we crack a book this summer, which most people say is a stupid idea). good luck :D

amy2003uva said:
civic & =)) -
so what classes do you guys have this summer? will you have mba classes during the year, too, or only on breaks? sounds pretty hardcore to me! at least you all will be in the groove of studying by the time august rolls around, unlike the rest of us (unless we crack a book this summer, which most people say is a stupid idea). good luck :D

I think the recommended class schedule is as follows:

Summer I (June 05)

Mkt Concepts & Strategies: MTWRF 10AM-12AM
Info Technology for Managers: MWF 12PM-1PM
Statistical Concepts-Bus & Mgt: MTWRF: 1PM-3PM
Executive Skills: MTWR 3PM-7PM

Summer II (July 05)

Financial & Managerial Acct: MTWRF: 8AM-10:30AM
Production and Operations Mgt: MTWRF 10:40AM-12:30PM

Notice that Mondays and Wednesdays for June we have class from 10AM-7PM straight with no breaks for lunch or dinner.

Talk about a butt rapin'...