Texas Tech entering C/O 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
=)) said:
to those who are in lubbock: i'm going to be out of the country until a few days before orientation, so i was wondering if it was possible to find housing a few days before the actual move-in date...i thought it might be since it's a small town...i was going to have my sister go up there for me..but i'd rather do it myself since it would be an 8 hour drive for her..would it be too risky for me to try finding housing myself???

civic4982: just wanted to introduce myself to you...i'll also be doing the MD/MBA program...i actually graduated from UT-austin this past december :) ...i wont be able to make the orientation...so no need to worry about being the only one there this summer who doesn't know anyone else...anyhoo...look forward to meeting you then...have a good time in europe~

there is a company called digital moving. They found me a place in Lubbock. I didnt move in until 2 weeks after classes started!! Talk about slacker!!
Nah actually the place I was supposed to move into screwed me over, so I called up Digital Moving and they found me temp housing for like a month and they also helped me find a really nice place to move into. I dont have their number but im sure u can find it once u get there.

later

Members don't see this ad.

omarsaleh66 said:
there is a company called digital moving. They found me a place in Lubbock. I didnt move in until 2 weeks after classes started!! Talk about slacker!!
Nah actually the place I was supposed to move into screwed me over, so I called up Digital Moving and they found me temp housing for like a month and they also helped me find a really nice place to move into. I dont have their number but im sure u can find it once u get there.

later
Get out of here traitor :smuggrin: Omar isn't a red raider anymore. He left us for jacktown. BTW, remember that first phys test last yr? They did it again this yr with even worse resuslts...... I hope somebody gets their ass kicked this time.

Sorry for the highjack.....

thackl said:
Get out of here traitor :smuggrin: Omar isn't a red raider anymore. He left us for jacktown. BTW, remember that first phys test last yr? They did it again this yr with even worse resuslts...... I hope somebody gets their ass kicked this time.

Sorry for the highjack.....

LOL, dang man, thats hard to imagine low grades with ur superachiever class. The phys department is rough but hey I actually know my stuff (pathophys in 2nd year isnt bad thanks to tech) so they are doing something right.

Members don't see this ad :)
omarsaleh66 said:
LOL, dang man, thats hard to imagine low grades with ur superachiever class. The phys department is rough but hey I actually know my stuff (pathophys in 2nd year isnt bad thanks to tech) so they are doing something right.
I don't personally care that much, but there is a certian amount of randomness associated with this test that could be a problem. I'm not talking about low averages or individual questions, but the fact that many at the top of the class failed and several who have never been near the plus side of the class average beat it on this test. After a few regrades and tossing out 10 questions,the ave stands at a 71. On some level, I think this might be good for certian students, but then again, the action needs to be taken against the phys dept for writing such a rediculously irrelavent test.

Have any of you gotten another information packet from Tech yet besides the one with the acceptance letter in it?

techmed said:
Have any of you gotten another information packet from Tech yet besides the one with the acceptance letter in it?

techmed - nope! just the all-important acceptance letter. on another note: how many of your classmates are going to be in our som class? i wish they'd put a listing out of acceptees so we can see who's on it!

to everyone looking for housing - i don't know how hard it will be to find a place once school starts, since there are soo many students here. however, i do know that the options are plentiful and the houses for rent/purchase here are inexpen$ive (and in most cases, spacious with fenced yards).

in particular, tech terrace is a great neighborhood; i highly recommend it. the tech terrrace park is two houses away from our house, and it's great for our german shepherds (as it would also be for those of you with children). the park is well-manicured and it's also very safe. the neighborhood is well-kept, established, quiet, and affordable. there are frequently a few homes for rent, so you just have to hit it at the right time. there are mostly single families in tech terrace, with some undergrad students and even more graduate students. our next door neighbor is an accounting professor and across the street is a resident and his family. anyway, if any of you want any more info about the neighborhood or living here in general, give me a holla! ps - tech terrace is located in the vicinity of 20-30th streets and indiana-boston (check out a lubbock map to see what i mean). basically this area is MUCH closer to the SOM than places further south. the med school is located around 5th and indiana, for reference. some housing recommendations have been south of the loop, and these places are definitely newer and nice, but they can be located at 60-100th street; this would put you almost 100 blocks from class, versus 20 blocks. personally, i plan to bike to class on nice days - definitely a perk of living close to campus!

hope this information helps you all!! :)

amy

civic...amy...your comments about my post were incredibly kind. Now it makes what I'm about to say a little awkward. I (am a he) haven't posted much here because I'm waiting to hear from a couple schools. thehopeful, I would gladly relinquish my spot to you if I could.

The class is definitely going to be filled with outstanding people. I really enjoyed my interview day in El Paso. I felt that our interview group really bonded. It's funny...we were together for a looong time. After the interview session, just when you think to yourself...I'll never see these people again (at least for a while)...you're sharing a shuttle to your hotel...then to the airport...now we're waiting at the airport together. The conversation kept flowing. There were very few awkward silences. All really cool people. I can say the same about all of you post here.

2tall: good luck to ya then. I hope you get one your top picks if not we'll see ya soon!

for any of you online junkies (like myself) I just started up a group fo TTUHSC SOM on thefacebook.com . join up! I've been using thefacebook to find buddies from way back when and so I figured I'd start a group up for all of us!

2tall said:
civic...amy...your comments about my post were incredibly kind. Now it makes what I'm about to say a little awkward. I (am a he) haven't posted much here because I'm waiting to hear from a couple schools. thehopeful, I would gladly relinquish my spot to you if I could.

The class is definitely going to be filled with outstanding people. I really enjoyed my interview day in El Paso. I felt that our interview group really bonded. It's funny...we were together for a looong time. After the interview session, just when you think to yourself...I'll never see these people again (at least for a while)...you're sharing a shuttle to your hotel...then to the airport...now we're waiting at the airport together. The conversation kept flowing. There were very few awkward silences. All really cool people. I can say the same about all of you post here.

2tall - good luck wherever you decide to attend, be it tech or elsewhere!!! :luck: :D :luck:

civic4982 said:
2tall: good luck to ya then. I hope you get one your top picks if not we'll see ya soon!

for any of you online junkies (like myself) I just started up a group fo TTUHSC SOM on thefacebook.com . join up! I've been using thefacebook to find buddies from way back when and so I figured I'd start a group up for all of us!

nice! facebook. that site was before my time (c/o 2003 undergrad), so i don't know many people my age who use it (thank god, b/c it prob would have been another form of procrastination!). i'll look for the group and try to join.

edit: how do you find the group? i did a group search for "ttuhsc som" and came up with nothing. i think it's only letting me look at UVA groups.

civic4982 said:

ahhhhh... it's under "texas tech university health science center school of medicine". so thing is, you can only join groups that are created within your school. since you created the school from "UT", and i'm from UVA, i can't join that group! sucks, huh? i wonder if there's a way to create a "global" group, so everyone can access it.

Hey Future classmates:

I was wondering if any of you all have filled out the FAFSA and if so have you guys heard anything back from Tech.

Thanks
MedicoTre

MedicoTre said:
Hey Future classmates:

I was wondering if any of you all have filled out the FAFSA and if so have you guys heard anything back from Tech.

Thanks
MedicoTre
Get it in quick. Everything is available. You have to do the national and institutional (tech). There is a 'texas grant' of $1600/yr that is given on a first come, first serve basis until they are gone. Free money........ :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
amy2003uva said:
ahhhhh... it's under "texas tech university health science center school of medicine". so thing is, you can only join groups that are created within your school. since you created the school from "UT", and i'm from UVA, i can't join that group! sucks, huh? i wonder if there's a way to create a "global" group, so everyone can access it.

really? damnit... I'll try to fix that...

amy2003uva said:
nice! facebook. that site was before my time (c/o 2003 undergrad), so i don't know many people my age who use it (thank god, b/c it prob would have been another form of procrastination!). i'll look for the group and try to join.

edit: how do you find the group? i did a group search for "ttuhsc som" and came up with nothing. i think it's only letting me look at UVA groups.

really? I graduated c/o of 2004 undergrad and lots of people from my highschool days I found back on there after what seemed like forever. oh and i guess the group would pull up for "Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine" and the groups are only in one school at a time :(

To those of you interested in housing...the office of Student Affairs is putting together a packet of housing in the area including current student reviews of each place. Should give you all a head's up instead of just searching around on the internet like I did.

I don't know that I'd just show up before orientation & try to find housing then. Remember, there's a whole application process & they have to prepare the apartment before you move in so it could take longer than you think. I found mine on the internet (too lazy to drive 9 hours to Lubbock), called to get an application sent to me, sent that back with the application fee, & then called a week later to make sure I was good. The whole thing took nearly a month. I showed up the day before orientation with my deposit check & 1st month's rent. I wouldn't suggest doing it this way, but it's possible if your summer is hectic.

Hey Ted, stop complaining about the Phys test! The typical overachieving students did poorly b/c they were actually required to apply information instead of just regurgitating it!!! Besides, your scaring off our new classmates! We must console them with phrases like "Lubbock's really not that bad..."

:p Right. I love the apts in Lubbock (some nice ones on the web), but I'm still kind of unsure about Lubbock (kinda :rolleyes: ) But, I suppose if my classmates aren't all from the same area, that'd be cool enough :).

....still up, writing stuff for class in snowy Boston.

hjt

Hey everyone,

I just got a packet from student affairs, with some class 0f 09 info, so you all should be getting it today or soon.

I'd probably also agree not to wait until right before orientation to find a place to live. You may luck out and find a good place, but since there are so many students, they fill up quickly. Also, I'd agree that tech terrace is a great neighborhood with a nice mix of people, plus it's super close to campus. I live south of the loop and I love it out there, though. I am right by restaurants and shopping, and I can make it to campus in 10 minutes, which is close enough for me. Be careful of a couple of apartment complexes right around campus-a couple of them are full of undergrads and are like the dorms (loud and lots of parties).
I was excited to get my packet in the mail today. What is everyone thinking about preferences for 3rd and 4th year?

anyone staying in lubbock all 4 years? or is that not how it works? i was always confused about that.

oh and any complexes you guys have lived at and can name off that are nice places with decent 1 bed/1 baths ? I'm trying to find a place for less than $650 if possible.

civic4982 said:
anyone staying in lubbock all 4 years? or is that not how it works? i was always confused about that.

oh and any complexes you guys have lived at and can name off that are nice places with decent 1 bed/1 baths ? I'm trying to find a place for less than $650 if possible.

Hye man I stayed at The Enclave. It was about 10-15 min drive from campus. It worked for me cuz I didnt go to class. And even when i did it wasnt a big deal. It is really quiet, great management, great workout room. It's also like 2-5 minutes from the mall, a bunch of video places, theater, clubs, starbucks, restuarants, fast food, etc..

Another good place to check out is Canyon Crossing. It's real cheap and has huge rooms, and even closer to campus (5-10 minutes). Enclave is 500 for a 1-1. I think Canyon Crossing is even less, and I think it is better.

later

civic4982 said:

hey civic - i will prob try to stay in lubbock all 4 years, if only because we already have a house/established jobs here (in case i want to go back on-call or part-time with Lubbock EMS sometime over the course of school). that's what the "campus preference form" is for - you have to rank where you want to be for the 3rd and 4th years. i think someone said on this site that 50% go to El Paso, 30% to Amarillo, and 20% stay in Lubbock. therefore, you have to have a really really convincing reason to stay in Lubbock. while i recommended looking at houses in Lubbock to rent/buy, i would now NOT ADVISE buying a home, due to the disclaimer in the packet we got yesterday (namely the part about buying a house in Lubbock does not guarantee placement in Lubbock for the second two years). i hope this helps. also, i do know that people can swap campus placements if they later change their minds/don't get their 1st pick.

also - i agree with lily22 about staying away from some of the apartment complexes right next to campus, as they are full of rowdy undergrads (unless, of course, this is what you're looking for!) namely, steer clear of most apartments on 4th street, east of Quaker road. off the top of my head i know that Raider Pass is one such complex - nice and new, so tempting, but really catered to undergrads. do steer clear of pretty much everything east of avenue Q, too, as you are getting into sketchy, high(er) crime areas at that point. places around the south loop are great and central to shopping and such, just further from campus.

so, how are you all going to rank the campuses?

amy2003uva said:
hey civic - i will prob try to stay in lubbock all 4 years, if only because we already have a house/established jobs here (in case i want to go back on-call or part-time with Lubbock EMS sometime over the course of school). that's what the "campus preference form" is for - you have to rank where you want to be for the 3rd and 4th years. i think someone said on this site that 50% go to El Paso, 30% to Amarillo, and 20% stay in Lubbock. therefore, you have to have a really really convincing reason to stay in Lubbock. while i recommended looking at houses in Lubbock to rent/buy, i would now NOT ADVISE buying a home, due to the disclaimer in the packet we got yesterday (namely the part about buying a house in Lubbock does not guarantee placement in Lubbock for the second two years). i hope this helps. also, i do know that people can swap campus placements if they later change their minds/don't get their 1st pick.

also - i agree with lily22 about staying away from some of the apartment complexes right next to campus, as they are full of rowdy undergrads (unless, of course, this is what you're looking for!) namely, steer clear of most apartments on 4th street, east of Quaker road. off the top of my head i know that Raider Pass is one such complex - nice and new, so tempting, but really catered to undergrads. do steer clear of pretty much everything east of avenue Q, too, as you are getting into sketchy, high(er) crime areas at that point. places around the south loop are great and central to shopping and such, just further from campus.

so, how are you all going to rank the campuses?

Thanks for the tips!

Last I talked to the advising office I would be staying in Lubbock all 4 years b/c of the joint program business so I guess that goes onto my 2nd question. I'm trying to find a place that I can stay in all 4 years and NEVER move. I hate moving. I moved every single year in undergrad and I have no idea why I kept moving...

Anyways so I saw a place online called St. Francis Village:
http://www.lubbockapartments.com/Search_Directory/Communities/community.asp?Communities_ID=22

Quail Creek Apartments:
http://www.lubbockapartments.com/Search_Directory/Communities/community.asp?Communities_ID=3

Heritage Apartments:
http://www.lubbockapartments.com/Search_Directory/Communities/community.asp?Communities_ID=17

Ashton Pointe:
http://www.lubbockapartments.com/Search_Directory/Communities/community.asp?Communities_ID=57

Just wondering if any of you have visited any of these places yet. I'm probably gonna sign in beginning of April.

EDIT: also looking at this Bear Creek apartments:
http://www.lubbockapartments.com/Search_Directory/Communities/community.asp?Communities_ID=7

Could someone let me know how safe these neighborhoods are? Like say if it says NW/NE/SW/SE Lubbock what that should mean to me?

hey,

have you guys received any more correspondence from TT since the acceptance letter??

thanks guys

Lily22 said:
Be careful of a couple of apartment complexes right around campus-a couple of them are full of undergrads and are like the dorms (loud and lots of parties).

Lily is absolutely right. Anything that's right on top of Tech's campus is going to be a horrible place to live - over priced & loud. I'd also be a little careful with Canyon Crossing, lots of our classmates live there, but several of them are having issues with maintenance. I know at least 2 students who have roofs that are leaking that have taken forever to be repaired. If I were you, I'd do some of my own research online - only you know what really matters to you most in an apartment, and once you have it narrowed down to a few, post em here or email a current student (Possibly your Big Bro/Sis) for their thoughts to help you decide.

I live at Summer Place Apts. They are more like duplexes than apartments, as there is only one floor. Whole area is very quiet with a mix of families, retirees, & students living here. Apartments are nice & they are putting hardwood floors in most of them now. They have 1 bedroom/1 bath, but I opted for a 2 bedroom/1 bath since everything was so cheap & I just turned 1 room into study area. I pay $550/month plus an extra $20 for pet rent. They have backyards, but they are pretty small, W/D connections, etc. Cable comes free with rent. I'm 5-8 minutes from school & 5 minutes from Super Walmart. Only complaints are that the grounds have been kind of messy over the winter & I wish they took better care of landscaping, but it's Lubbock & after a few months you won't even miss things like...grass...or...trees.

current students - what's the big bro/sis for? we have to decide if we want one by 3/31. thnx!

arsenalgunner said:
I live at Summer Place Apts. They are more like duplexes than apartments, as there is only one floor. Whole area is very quiet with a mix of families, retirees, & students living here. Apartments are nice & they are putting hardwood floors in most of them now. They have 1 bedroom/1 bath, but I opted for a 2 bedroom/1 bath since everything was so cheap & I just turned 1 room into study area. I pay $550/month plus an extra $20 for pet rent. They have backyards, but they are pretty small, W/D connections, etc. Cable comes free with rent. I'm 5-8 minutes from school & 5 minutes from Super Walmart. Only complaints are that the grounds have been kind of messy over the winter & I wish they took better care of landscaping, but it's Lubbock & after a few months you won't even miss things like...grass...or...trees.

wow sounds great there at Summer Place Apts.

if you have any photos of your place would you mind sending them to me? at $550 a month for a 2 bedroom that's a STEAL! I can turn one room into a study too!!! :D

do they have garage parking there? how much was your pet deposit?

Hey guys!

Congrats on coming to Tech.

I'm a first year as well....I live at Bentwood Apts....its pretty nice and I like it here. Its a sister property of Canyon Crossing, just across the street. My friends have been having lots of problems with the management at Canyon Crossing but the people at Bentwood are really nice. I pay $500 per month for a 1/1 and it takes me 7-10 min to get to school. Its pretty quiet with families and students.

amy2003,

The big sib/lil sib program basically pairs you up with a second year who is your big sib. You can ask them any questions, advice on classes, whatever you like. Some people pass down their books or notes to their little sibs as well.

whtdasheezy said:
hey,

have you guys received any more correspondence from TT since the acceptance letter??

thanks guys

I received the packet today (Thursday). It's pretty exciting. You've probably received by the time of this post. Clinical campus info. Immunization stuff. Housing Info. Student Gov't welcome. Spring Training invite.

civic4982 said:
Thanks for the tips!

Last I talked to the advising office I would be staying in Lubbock all 4 years b/c of the joint program business so I guess that goes onto my 2nd question. I'm trying to find a place that I can stay in all 4 years and NEVER move. I hate moving. I moved every single year in undergrad and I have no idea why I kept moving...

Anyways so I saw a place online called St. Francis Village:
http://www.lubbockapartments.com/Search_Directory/Communities/community.asp?Communities_ID=22

Quail Creek Apartments:
http://www.lubbockapartments.com/Search_Directory/Communities/community.asp?Communities_ID=3

Heritage Apartments:
http://www.lubbockapartments.com/Search_Directory/Communities/community.asp?Communities_ID=17

Ashton Pointe:
http://www.lubbockapartments.com/Search_Directory/Communities/community.asp?Communities_ID=57

Just wondering if any of you have visited any of these places yet. I'm probably gonna sign in beginning of April.

EDIT: also looking at this Bear Creek apartments:
http://www.lubbockapartments.com/Search_Directory/Communities/community.asp?Communities_ID=7

Could someone let me know how safe these neighborhoods are? Like say if it says NW/NE/SW/SE Lubbock what that should mean to me?

hey civic -

those NW lubbock complexes are v. nice - bear creek and ashton pointe. a big plus to those, also, is that all you have to do to get to campus is head down 4th street and - bam - you hit TTU. also, i don't think a lot of undergrads are in that area.

quail creek and heritage are in the SW parts of town, which is much removed from the university and thus will tend to be quieter.

in terms of safety, both NW and SW lubbock are comfortably safe and friendly - i think the key word here is "west". east lubbock tends to have higher crime/higher drug use. i know this b/c as a medic we go to the overdoses, shootings, stabbings, etc. predominately on the east side. granted, lubbock is not the crime hub of the country, but i'd stay to the west of ave Q or university ave.

like i said, NW lubbock has some nice complexes, ashton pointe and bear creek being two that i have seen in person. running 911 calls, i've been able to see a sampling of virtually all areas of lubbock. i hope this helps!

amy

When is the information in the packet they sent us due? It went to my permenant address for some reason and it may be a while before I get it. Also is it from admissions or student affairs?Thanks.

:) hey,

Nice to see so many people getting excited! Me too! I can't wait to be done with my last term here and move on to med school.

I just got my packet in the mail. After looking over some materials, I seem to like Amarillo (good hospitals, more hands-on experience during surgeries), but I'm also interested in El Paso because of the whole border health experience, and I'm interested in learning Spanish. Ummm...choices, choices. Anyone else? :confused:

For those whose who are at TTHSC right now, which's a better place to go for Internal Med? And, which hospitals do students get assigned to in Amarillo? I read somewhere that Public/Private hospitals may give different rotation experiences. What are people's thoughts on that, or rotation directors at the various locations?

Okie Dokie. Good luck on everyone's choices. :thumbup: :luck:
I will definitely try to show up for spring training.

Helen (hjt)

Oh, i've also been looking over this website to get some ideas
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/TX-Lubbock.html

Right now, I'm considering for 1 bedroom (starting rate from $450 to $577) the following. Some of them have already been mentioned.

Bentwood
Summertime Villa ($450)
Dakota Arms ($577)
The Fountains
Hunter's Way
Oakridge
Sagewood
Sundowner
Willage West
Willow Hill
...still looking. Looks like plenty of options, good options.

Most of them have good reviews (or no really bad ones...especially on noice/UG) and have good floor plans =).

Helen

techmed said:
When is the information in the packet they sent us due? It went to my permenant address for some reason and it may be a while before I get it. Also is it from admissions or student affairs?Thanks.

I think March 25th or 30th. It's not in front of me now, but it's one of those dates.

Hey guys,

Congratulations on getting into Texas Tech! I just wanted to let you all know that I am from Amarillo and would be happy to answer any questions that you might have about going to Amarillo for your 3rd-4th years. I also interned at the Amarillo campus for 3 summers and worked with quite a few faculty members in various departments.
I can answer anything from "what is the surgery department like?" to "is it true that you have hail the size of softballs up there?" (Yes).
I know that relatively few Tech students get to stay in Lubbock, so I know at least some of you will end up in A-town. Let me know if I can help.

This might be useful for those who are still trying to decide on MS3/MS4.
You can find other posts by searching for "Texas Tech Class of 2008"

***************Post from last Year*************

If u want to do ortho (from a previous post)

I think what matters most is ur grades, ur step 1 score, research( publications in anything is impressive and theres alot of opportunites here at tech), grades in ur 3rd year which u can accomplish at any of the 3 campuses.

Now this is what will probably happen: U come to med school do great ur first 2 years, get published, get a high USMLE score, then u do really well ur 3rd year at any of the campuses. In ur 4th year do ur away rotations at a bad ass ortho program and impress them, then when u apply for ortho u can use that away rotation as a means into getting into that competitive program or many others. So it really doesnt matter where u do ur 3rd year as long as ur grades are good.

Here is what I've heard about the various campuses:

lubbock: u will learn alot here, u are forced to.

amarillo: a whole lot of surgery exposure, there are no residents, its very laid back and ive heard some people get a false idea about surgery here cuz no resident to tell them how it is, and the attendants are kinda laid back. So when some people actually started a surgery residency, they ended up hating it cuz it was nothing like there rotations. However, this place is easy and chill

El paso: a lot of partying, everyone has fun here, alot of drama, residents hooking up w med students etc... its easy to sneak out of rotaitons and slack off cuz its so busy and noone cares like they do in lubbock. So u can learn alot here if u are motivated.

Its easy to switch to el paso, so if u are unsure, u can pick lubbock or amarillo now and change later on.

Again, im only a first year, so what im saying is just what fourth years have told me; i really dont know so take it for whatever its worth. if u got questions about the first year
holler at ya boy

Omar
*******************another post**********************
"Its easy to switch to el paso, so if u are unsure, u can pick lubbock or amarillo now and change later on. "

Actually, that's not true. I'm a second year at Tech, and I was fortunate enough to get the switch to El Paso, but I know of at least 4 people who didn't get to switch. One of my good friends didn't get to switch, and she was devastated, leading to much heartache all around. I think it's a really crappy thing to make people decide where they want to go four months before school even starts, since we know nothing about the school, the facilities at any of the campuses, or who our friends are going to be. So I would recommend doing as much research as possible before making your request. Making the switch is not as much of a slam dunk as many people have suggested. And for the most part, you need to be either married or and MD/MBA to stay in Lubbock. But congratulations to all who were accepted, and I'm sure you will love Tech as much as I do.
Luck!

Helen....El Paso?

Unless you have a good reason for being in lubbock, I've been told by past students that Amarillo is the way to go. The call it "They Country Club" for a reason and you will get expirience and exposure there that you may not see until 2-3rd yr of residency. Past students have told me that you have to work to remember that you are not a Dr yet when in Amarillo. This is just what I have heard and if I wasn't bound here in lubbock with wife and kids, that's where i would go.

hey all - do any of you raiders know any current students in el paso who might be willing to show me & my boyfriend the hospital/campus there? :confused:

we're going down there for the last weekend in march b/c we've never been there and are unsure of how to rank el paso for the 3rd and 4th years. my bf is into the idea of border medicine and he thinks that there would be a lot of good trauma in el paso, but i am interested in surgery and am leaning towards amarillo (between ranking the two 2nd and 3rd).

we are hoping that visiting the campus in el paso will help us make the decision, but we have no idea where the school is/what would be good to see while we're there. since we'll be driving 8 hours, i want to make the most of our time there!

if any of you have any contacts or other info, that would be MUCH appreciated!!! thanks so much for your help. :D

amy

ok I've postponed my trip to Europe until April 12th so I:could make Spring Training! :D Is anyone driving up from Dallas that w/end? I'm flying into Dallas from Orange County just about a week earlier and I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy my new car by then or if I might have to wait a while for them to have it built to my specs. I might think about just flying to Lubbock but just seeing if anyone was going that way anyways...

Oh and where are we gonna stay that w/end? Should I start booking hotels now? Will I need to rent a car when I get there or will the bus us around that w/end? Thanks.

Hi everyone!
I've been trying to figure out a way to be able to attend the spring training, but it doesn't seem like it will be possible for me to go. I was hoping that any of the current med students would tell me how important is it to attend this training?
I'm afraid that I'll be missing out on important stuff.
What do you think?

Thanks

I forgot to mention that I was in Lubbock a couple of weeks ago, and I've already decided on a place to live so I won't be needing to look for apartments anymore.

Dr.Isabella said:
I forgot to mention that I was in Lubbock a couple of weeks ago, and I've already decided on a place to live so I won't be needing to look for apartments anymore.

What complexes did you see? Any ratings on them? What'd you end up getting and for how much?

Congrats to all of you who will entering the class of 2009. I am a 1st year who lives at Canyon Crossing. For the most part, it is a nice place to live. Although what Arsenel Gunner said about the roof leaking is true--that was my roof! The maintenance is a little slow at getting things done. Other than that is a great place to live. I pay $500 for a very large one bedroom facing the pool. One important piece of advise though for all of you incoming students signing leases for apartments. Many apts in Lubbock will give you a better deal if you sign a year lease instead of 6 or 9 month leases. They do this to keep the apts full during the summer when many students leave. Make sure you will be staying for the summer here before you sign the lease!! Otherwise you'll be stuck paying the summer rent whick will be far more than the discount they gave you for signing the 12 mo. lease. I got sucked into this and will now have to stay here or go somewhere for the summer and still pay the rent.

If anybody has any other questions about anything feel free to PM me.

civic4982 said:
ok I've postponed my trip to Europe until April 12th so I:could make Spring Training! :D Is anyone driving up from Dallas that w/end? I'm flying into Dallas from Orange County just about a week earlier and I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy my new car by then or if I might have to wait a while for them to have it built to my specs. I might think about just flying to Lubbock but just seeing if anyone was going that way anyways...

Oh and where are we gonna stay that w/end? Should I start booking hotels now? Will I need to rent a car when I get there or will the bus us around that w/end? Thanks.

Hey Vinh, we are trying to make some housing available to you guys so that you don't have to fork out the extra cash for a hotel. There should be somewhere on those papers that says something in regards to you RSVPing for this. If not let me know and I'll see what I can do.

For the spring training weekend are we all going to drive to the different events around Lubbock in our own cars or will we all be going in a school van?

dndn said:
For the spring training weekend are we all going to drive to the different events around Lubbock in our own cars or will we all be going in a school van?

good question.

Trying to address the last couple of pages of questions...

Those looking for housing, try www.lubbockapartments.com
The site is so-so, but you can order a free apartment guide from the site which is very good & has pics of all the places.

During spring training, members of our class are currently signing up to drive you guys around to various events. So, unless you want to drive yourself, everyone should have a ride to each of the events & for apartment browsing.

Campus selection: Don't sweat this decision too much, it's not as important as it seems. Everyone who has an opinion on the topic will have a biased opinion b/c they have either never been on a rotation at either hospital as of yet (like me), or they selected one or the other so they only know what their location was like. I've never spoken with a student unhappy with their decision. The rumors are...go to Amarillo to be a surgeon, go to El Paso for primary care/internal med. Despite your decision, you will still be able to go into whatever field you want no matter which site you choose. The bad thing is, that Tech forces you to make this decision too early. You'll find that a lot of your friends will be going to a different campus than you are. It sucks, but on the other hand, you are going to be given more responsibility than almost any other 3rd & 4th years in the country due to the nature of these hospitals, which will, in the end, make you a better doc.

Spring training: Fun, but certainly not mandatory. Don't sweat it if you can't go. We're going to golf, eat, drink, listen to bands, tell you all to relax & enjoy your summer, and the single 1st & 2nd years are going to ogle you. If you can't make it now, they'll be plenty of time for eating, drinking, & ogling during orientation!