Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) El Paso- Post Baccalaureate Certificate and M.S. in Biomedical Science 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, great advice! I'm coming from a non "premed" undergrad so I've taken most of those general classes but not as much of the ones you see in med school so that's kind of what I was looking for but I think either way both programs are good options. I definitely have some more thinking to do on a decision!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got the interview invite for the master's program yesterday! Super excited and hopeful for all of us!

So like my interview is 10 minutes. Is yalls the same? I’m kind of nervous now since it’s literally only ten mins

Members don't see this ad :)
So like my interview is 10 minutes. Is yalls the same? I’m kind of nervous now since it’s literally only ten mins
YES! I don't know what that means and its the same for the masters and post bacc. I wonder if they have already made up their minds and just want to see us before they give us acceptances? Not sure how this is going to work out but I'm relieved I'm not the only one they told it will be a 10 minute interview

Reactions: 1 users
YES! I don't know what that means and its the same for the masters and post bacc. I wonder if they have already made up their minds and just want to see us before they give us acceptances? Not sure how this is going to work out but I'm relieved I'm not the only one they told it will be a 10 minute interview
That's what I was thinking. 10 minutes is barely enough to get to know anybody, it might just be a formality. But I don't want to get too comfortable, lmao

I will say there are pros and cons to both. TTUHSC does not offer MCAT prep + workshops from advisors or a lot of the health classes you take as a MS1 compared to UNTHSC. UNTHSC's curriculum (in my opinion) demonstrates preparedness to take on medical school if you do well. TTUHSC has basic courses like biochem, genetics, cell bio, and a research seminar compared to like anatomy or histoloy or pharmacology you take at UNTHSC. I strongly feel like UNTHSC helps people with lower GPAs better than TTUHSC. I have a 3.8 GPA but low MCAT so I am playing that in as well. I am retaking my mcat in June, but like the main reason for me liking TTUHSC is the cause of its location and PLFSOM's mission. Also TTUHSC post-bacc does have the option for financial aid/loans since its a certificate, which sucks. UNTHSC does offer financial aid so there is that plus. Idk, I feel like if you are looking to prove your undergrad GPA is not reflective of you as a person, then go with UNTHSC and vice versa for low mcat.
Are you saying the post-bacc program does not have the option for financial aid?

Are you saying the post-bacc program does not have the option for financial aid?
it does not have the option for financial aid. They re-direct you to alternative ways to find aid like outside sources for the most part. We don't get a degree technically. Just a certificate. Plus, we only take like 9 hours a semester. People in the Master's program are allowed financial aid

it does not have the option for financial aid. They re-direct you to alternative ways to find aid like outside sources for the most part. We don't get a degree technically. Just a certificate. Plus, we only take like 9 hours a semester. People in the Master's program are allowed financial aid
Oh wow! That’s really good to know. Thank you.

Post bacc applicants, are all of your interviews scheduled between 8:45 AM - 12:00 PM on May 27th? If so we could try to answer the question of these interviews being a formality. If we say each interview is 10 minutes with about a 10 minute period between each to prepare for subsequent interviewees, then that puts it at about 10 slots. This is purely speculation, but like you all have said before, it seems the ten-minute window is not adequate to eliminate interviewees nor to justify acceptances..
Mine is Tuesday ! Thats the 26th!! Master's applicants also interview that day as well I think.

Post bacc applicants, are all of your interviews scheduled between 8:45 AM - 12:00 PM on May 27th? If so we could try to answer the question of these interviews being a formality. If we say each interview is 10 minutes with about a 10 minute period between each to prepare for subsequent interviewees, then that puts it at about 10 slots. This is purely speculation, but like you all have said before, it seems the ten-minute window is not adequate to eliminate interviewees nor to justify acceptances..
wait so yours is Wednesday?

Well that answers that. What is the range of times for the 26th? Anyone else have interviews on other days? We can estimate the cap of acceptances for both programs at around 30, so we could try that again.
Range is 8:45-12 as well!

Mine is Tuesday the 26th for the master's program.

Who knows how they will be conducting it. I have a strong feeling it could possibly be every 15 minutes (about 12 people a day) or if they did every 30 minutes, then 6 applicants a day. I just hope they're able to tell us when we should hear back after the interview (hopefully soon!)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I understand that everyone in this program who meets certain requirements gets a conditional interview at TTUHSC either during or after the postbac. My questions are:
What are those requirements?
How many interviewees actually make it into TTUHSC?
How many OOS interviewees through this program get into TTUHSC?

So I understand that everyone in this program who meets certain requirements gets a conditional interview at TTUHSC either during or after the postbac. My questions are:
What are those requirements?
How many interviewees actually make it into TTUHSC?
How many OOS interviewees through this program get into TTUHSC?
I asked admissions about this back in April and the person said that if you pass all of the courses in the post bacc (I'm assuming that means with a B or better) then you get the interview. And you'll also need to submit a TMDSAS application along with it to be considered if you want the interview. They also said that about half of the post bacc students who interview get accepted into the medical school (so around 4-5 students because the post bacc program only has about 8-9 students total). Not sure about OOS.

I asked admissions about this back in April and the person said that if you pass all of the courses in the post bacc (I'm assuming that means with a B or better) then you get the interview. And you'll also need to submit a TMDSAS application along with it to be considered if you want the interview. They also said that about half of the post bacc students who interview get accepted into the medical school (so around 4-5 students because the post bacc program only has about 8-9 students total). Not sure about OOS.

Whoah, I wasn't aware it was so small. So the program itself is probably super selective.

Random but is it okay to wear a blouse and slacks for the interview? not really in the mood to put on a blazer lmao

For the post bacc people: How did the interviews go?!

For the post bacc people: How did the interviews go?!
It went great (I hope) lol. They're so kind and genuine! It was literally ten minutes. Like no joke haha. I assume they're doing every 30 minutes or every 15 minutes for interviews from 9am-12pm MST. Did anyone have a time that was like 10:15 or like 9:45? Then we would know how theyre doing times since I had one at the start of the hour.

Did anyone happen to ask when we should hear back? I only had a minute to ask a question and I decided to ask something else lol

Did anyone happen to ask when we should hear back? I only had a minute to ask a question and I decided to ask something else lol
When I interviewed last year, I heard back literally the week after. However, I am not sure if that will be the case this time around. Hopefully it is for y'all.

Mine is at 10:15 so I guess it's every 15 minutes, meaning 26 people over the 2 days
Who conducted the interview if you don't mind me asking
It was Jasmine I believe w the Dean. Also I think they 26 people include both masters and post bacc! Over the two days

I was interviewed by over 5 people for the masters program and there were over 7 people in the webex call. 10 minutes exactly a little intimidating

My interview was right on the hour and 4 people asked questions and the other 3 were quiet. And mine was about 10 minutes too! I feel good so hopefully well see what happens. The master's interviews were 12:45-4:00 mountain time

Last edited:
oooooooo okay. I suspect the have post bacc interview 8:45 to 12. Then 12:45-4 is Masters interviews. That's like yea 26 post bacc and 26 Masters. Goodluck everyone!

Did anyone else, who applied to the post bacc program, get a call from admissions stating that they are better suited for the masters program and to submit an app for the masters program?

Just got an interview. Does anyone know if the minimum mcat score required to matriculate into the MD program for students who are in the post-bacc program.

Did anyone else, who applied to the post bacc program, get a call from admissions stating that they are better suited for the masters program and to submit an app for the masters program?
No. They never offered you a interview for the post bacc? When did you apply?

Just got an interview. Does anyone know if the minimum mcat score required to matriculate into the MD program for students who are in the post-bacc program.
There’s no minimum MCAT for their med school. Avg MCAT is I think around a 510? 509)

I received this phone call also. How did you respond???

I received this phone call also. How did you respond???
I just filled out the the masters app immediately and they said they will be contacting me soon to set up an interview. They also said I would still be considered for the post bacc program as well.

Anyone hear back yet after they interviewed? Kind of hope we find out by tomorrow if we got in or not.. I have to pay tuition for this other program by the 7th and im getting nervous

Anyone hear back yet after they interviewed? Kind of hope we find out by tomorrow if we got in or not.. I have to pay tuition for this other program by the 7th and im getting nervous
Just got accepted!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I just got accepted!! OMG Cant wait!!! Im so EXCITED!! Goodluck to everyone!!

Last edited:
I just got accepted as well!! Can't wait to meet everyone! :)

• Love
Got my acceptance letter around 5 as well! Excited to see everyone in the fall!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I created a groupme for accepted students to either the masters or post-bacc!! PM if you want to join!

Reactions: 2 users
I’m still waiting for admissions to set up an interview. Not sure if I’m aimlessly waiting...

I’m still waiting for admissions to set up an interview. Not sure if I’m aimlessly waiting...

We have to accept the offer by June 8, why dont you email them by June 5 which is now the new deadline for the application. I dont think it is aimless because maybe a lot of people have already accepted other offers! Def dont give up :)

We have to accept the offer by June 8, why dont you email them by June 5 which is now the new deadline for the application. I dont think it is aimless because maybe a lot of people have already accepted other offers! Def dont give up :)
Good idea!! Thank you!!

Yay! I was just contacted for an interview! I applied last year and I didn’t get an interview at all. Just a rejection email LOL so this is definitely progress!

Hey Guys, sorry for the late reply. But congrats to everyone who have been accepted into this program and to those who are yet to be accepted! Very excited to meet each one of yall come fall (hopefully in person). I've created a group me which would be the combined Class of 2021 & 2022 crew. So shoot me a Dm if you've been accepted and want to be added into the chat. Y'all can still have your private class chat, this way helps to reach out to the students within the program class without sending an unnecessary amount of emails. Lol

Yay! I was just contacted for an interview! I applied last year and I didn’t get an interview at all. Just a rejection email LOL so this is definitely progress!
This is definitely a positive thing. There was something in your application that caught their eye. Congrats! Hope to see you on the other side. :)

Congrats!! I hope you get in! Goodluck! :)