Texas Waitlist Information 2005 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbp100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all-

I have decided to make a thread specifically for posting any waitlist activity for the Texas medical schools. It is easier to have all the information centralized rather than trying to hunt and peck it from other places. SO, all of you who had no joy on Feb. 1st (and those wishing to move up) post waitlist activity here.

As for me:

TCOM- Waitlist (ranked, but uncertain as to how many people get in or how many people are on the list)

UTMB- Waitlist (200 in "alternate pool," letter said 10-15 get in for any given year off of the list)

UTH- No info as of yet, I will edit the post if and when I find out something.

-JBP

Members don't see this ad.

jbp100 said:
Hello all-

I have decided to make a thread specifically for posting any waitlist activity for the Texas medical schools. It is easier to have all the information centralized rather than trying to hunt and peck it from other places. SO, all of you who had no joy on Feb. 1st (and those wishing to move up) post waitlist activity here.

As for me:

TCOM- Waitlist (ranked, but uncertain as to how many people get in or how many people are on the list)

UTMB- Waitlist (200 in "alternate pool," letter said 10-15 get in for any given year off of the list)

UTH- No info as of yet, I will edit the post if and when I find out something.

-JBP
I only interviewed at TAMU and no correspondence yet.

Thanks for starting this thread!

jpb- you know where I stand.

For others - waitlisted at TCOM who won't release any info. grrrrr...and haven't heard from UTH.

Good luck to everyone, and if you have friends that are going to Baylor or out-of-state, tell them to hurry up and withdraw their application! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the UTSW email said that waitlist correspondence will be sent in March. You will be notified to as what quarter of the waitlist you are on. Also, it said about 20-30 typically get off the waitlist.

Curious to see what UTH has to say.

San Antonio was completing their waitlist yesterday. Letters will be sent out letting you know your status and asking if you still want to be considered on the waitlist.

Hello. Just to let you guys know...TCOM has started to take people off of the waitlist. They were my first choice but I matched to my second and am very happy with the results. I recieved a call yesterday offering me a spot in the entering class of 2005 and am not going to accept the offer so hopefully one of you guys will get it. Good Luck :thumbup:

MedicoTre

so you guys from other colleges, do you guys know alot of people that will drop out of texas schools so maybe the acceptance will go to people on waitlist. approx. how many would you say will go out of state or baylor.

hey guys just be patient i know a lot of us are declining our spots in the TX match...i just mailed my letter back to Texas Tech today...so there's one spot for someone..i hope one of you gets it..good luck!

cluelesspremed said:
hey guys just be patient i know a lot of us are declining our spots in the TX match...i just mailed my letter back to Texas Tech today...so there's one spot for someone..i hope one of you gets it..good luck!
Where are you going, if you don't mind me asking?

Has anyone else recieved a call from TCOM? So they have started to have movement on the waitlist?

Who else is waiting to hear something?

I sent an e-mail to them last Tuesday and still have not heard back. I guess their Inbox is probably flooded. :oops:

Tech - waitlisted
San Antonio - rejected
UTH - yet to hear (but not holding my breath)

Members don't see this ad :)
Tech- Waitlisted
San Antonio and A&M- waiting to hear

I am a reapplicant so I have been through this before..Happy Waiting!

kilppy said:
Tech- Waitlisted
San Antonio and A&M- waiting to hear

I am a reapplicant so I have been through this before..Happy Waiting!
I am a reapplicant too and this sucks. Last year I had my rejection letter pretty quickly after the match but this year I am just waiting to hear ANYTHING!

Just curious....have you called any of the schools to see what is going on?

EvoDevo said:
Good luck TB! :luck:

Let's hope that you're number 1 on the list. :)
Awww...Evo. Thank you! :)

It's much better than being totally rejected (even though waitlist movement in Texas sucks)

It's awesome that you are on the A&M waitlist,TB...No waitlist in my mail today but no rejection either..I am trying to think positive.. The only school I called was Tech ( approx. 100 people on their list), people had already called the other two schools I interviewed at so I didn't bother

kilppy said:
It's awesome that you are on the A&M waitlist,TB...No waitlist in my mail today but no rejection either..I am trying to think positive.. The only school I called was Tech ( approx. 100 people on their list), people had already called the other two schools I interviewed at so I didn't bother

kilppy, you probably already know this but just in case....for Texas Tech you can find out whether or not you are on the alternate list on this website: http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/admissions/Secondary_Application/MatchList/LogIn.asp

If you don't remember your password, call Tech again and ask for it. Best of luck.

For those of you who got waitlisted by TAMU, did you find out in the mail?

cheers

basten0 said:
For those of you who got waitlisted by TAMU, did you find out in the mail?

cheers

I called them. I could stand waiting anymore :oops:

I just called San Antone and A&M, both said they are sending out the wailtist today by mail. If you cannot wait for three more days then I reccomend to call them, they are really nice. I got informed that I have been waitlisted at both :D . I talked to Linda in A&M and to Belinda in SA, boht of them from the admissions office. Here are their numbers:

A&M (979)845-7743
SA (210)567-6080

-coomassie

true blue said:
TAMU ----> Waitlisted
Good luck!!! I would love to have you as a classmate!!! :luck: :luck:

SFAJess said:
Good luck!!! I would love to have you as a classmate!!! :luck: :luck:
Thanks Jess! You're so sweet!

Congrats on your acceptance :)

Here is some info I got today..
TAMU- waitlisted..they are sending out 221 waitlist letters according to Linda and by the middle of march they should be done ranking people

SA- waitlisted as well..The lady I talked to said there are approx. 65 people on their list, it isn't ranked and they take about 15 people off each year- I am not sure how true the number they pull from the list is but then again I might be a bit pessimistic

kilppy said:
TAMU- waitlisted..they are sending out 221 waitlist letters according to Linda and by the middle of march they should be done ranking people

SA- waitlisted as well..The lady I talked to said there are approx. 65 people on their list, it isn't ranked and they take about 15 people off each year- I am not sure how true the number they pull from the list is but then again I might be a bit pessimistic
Jeez! Can you believe the size of the TAMU waitlist considering it's such a small school?

:barf: -----> sorry JDAD, if you are reading this

Klippy, if you don't mind me asking, where did you interview and how did you rank the schools?

kilppy said:

BTW...mid-March? I was told by the end of this month yesterday. hmm...

Poor admissions office people...I feel bad for them because they have to field all of our painful questions as best they can. :oops: I have a feeling that they are able to sense the frustration we must be going through :)

SA, TAMU, Tech..ranked in that order
Last year I interviewed at Tech, UTH and TAMU, ranked them in that order and was only waitlisted at TAMU.. They took only 4 people off their list but went through the first 10-12 people to get those 4 people..I think it is pretty ridiculous that such a small school sends out that many waitlist letters as well..I'd almost rather be flat out rejected so I didn't have this sliver of hope and could move on and improve my app for next year!

kilppy said:
Last year I interviewed at Tech, UTH and TAMU, ranked them in that order and was only waitlisted at TAMU.. They took only 4 people off their list but went through the first 10-12 people to get those 4 people..I think it is pretty ridiculous that such a small school sends out that many waitlist letters as well..I'd almost rather be flat out rejected so I didn't have this sliver of hope and could move on and improve my app for next year!
Did TAMU tell you where you ranked last year?

PS -- What is your status at Tech and SA?

kilppy said:

i have to agree with many on this thread and just say WOW. and why is it that i keep on seeing "10-12"? i mean did they go through 10 or 12 or 11?

Something about TAMU's waitlist doesn't make sense...

221 people for 4 or so positions and last year they went only 10-12 people deep??? Why are they ranking that many people for so few positions? I understand that you don't want empty seats b/c you ranked too few people, but 221 for 4 seats!?!? Why are they stringing along anybody past (I'm being generous here) number 75 on the waitlist?

Sorry this turned into a rant, but if SA is only ranking 65 with a class size of 200, why is TAMU ranking 221 with a class size of maybe 90? It seems like TAMU is making extra work for themselves.

Just my opinion...

Future Doc B said:
Something about TAMU's waitlist doesn't make sense...

221 people for 4 or so positions and last year they went only 10-12 people deep??? Why are they ranking that many people for so few positions? I understand that you don't want empty seats b/c you ranked too few people, but 221 for 4 seats!?!? Why are they stringing along anybody past (I'm being generous here) number 75 on the waitlist?

Sorry this turned into a rant, but if SA is only ranking 65 with a class size of 200, why is TAMU ranking 221 with a class size of maybe 90? It seems like TAMU is making extra work for themselves.

Just my opinion...
I know! I don't understand the 221 thing either. Last year, they only had 115 people on their waitlist. Also, my assumption was that the people who are on the waitlist are those that were on the accepted list to TMDSAS but not ranked high enough to match (i.e. they didn't have to go all the way down to 250 to fill their class). If they have over 200 people on this list, then I am wondering if they really sent almost 350 names to Austin.

I hope this makes sense. I think I am getting sick and so this may sound like total pretzel logic. :oops:

Does anyone have information on how many waitlisters TCOM usually pulls? I only had two interviews, and I'm not holding out any hope for UT-H.

baylorshannon said:
Does anyone have information on how many waitlisters TCOM usually pulls? I only had two interviews, and I'm not holding out any hope for UT-H.

i'd like to know too, i was waitlisted also. so far from reading the various threads, i dont know anyone who interviewed and was rejected (not on waitlist).

t

baylorshannon said:
I think one person (I can't remember who -- refer to Texas thread or earlier posts on this one) has already been offered a spot in the entering class and he/she was waitlisted at TCOM.

Also, I read somewhere (again, refer to above-stated threads) that TCOM is pretty quiet about your waitlist rank and how many people they take off of the waitlist.

Hope this helps! :)

I posted this elsewhere - but it got burried pretty quickly....

7 Medical Schools @ Univ. of Houston 2-14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all of you in the Houston area:

On Feb. 14th from 10am-3pm, UH is hosting a health career fair. Admissions officials from 7 of the TX programs (all but UT-H) will be attending. There will also be booths for grad schools, and other pre-health related careers.

Just thought it might be of special interest for anyone applying next year, or looking for waitlist movement this year.

It is in the Houston Room in the University Center.

Details: http://ppb.uh.edu/health_fair.htm

map: http://www.uh.edu/campus_map/buildings/UC.html

FWIW - Filo, Dr. Jones, Trevor Yates, etc should be there...

Just thought those of you near Houston might be interested. Good Luck.

For all of the DFW people, there's also a DFW Health Professions fair at UT Southwestern coming up.....I went last year and it helped to check out the med schools and ask the representatives a bunch of questions (you can get free stuff too! Like those Texas Tech pens)....anyone have info on when it is going to be held? I remember hearing about it in passing :oops:

-tx

uhpremed said:
I posted this elsewhere - but it got burried pretty quickly....

7 Medical Schools @ Univ. of Houston 2-14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all of you in the Houston area:

On Feb. 14th from 10am-3pm, UH is hosting a health career fair. Admissions officials from 7 of the TX programs (all but UT-H) will be attending. There will also be booths for grad schools, and other pre-health related careers.

Just thought it might be of special interest for anyone applying next year, or looking for waitlist movement this year.

It is in the Houston Room in the University Center.

Details: http://ppb.uh.edu/health_fair.htm

map: http://www.uh.edu/campus_map/buildings/UC.html

FWIW - Filo, Dr. Jones, Trevor Yates, etc should be there...

Just thought those of you near Houston might be interested. Good Luck.

When I asked Linda how many letters were being sent and she replied 221 I nearly spit out my coffee.. I asked her to repeat that and she said 221 again..Last year you had to mail a letter back to A&M accepting your waitlist spot so maybe not everyone accepts and the number will whittle itself down to around 115 like last year..Still that is way too many for a school that accepts only 80 people each year..

kilppy said:
When I asked Linda how many letters were being sent and she replied 221 I nearly spit out my coffee.. I asked her to repeat that and she said 221 again..Last year you had to mail a letter back to A&M accepting your waitlist spot so maybe not everyone accepts and the number will whittle itself down to around 115 like last year..Still that is way too many for a school that accepts only 80 people each year..

115 for 10-12 is still more than a little daunting. i called galveston a while back and somebody in their office told me that the UT-Galveston wait list was 200 people which made me intially very nervous. i mean thats the size of their incoming class. but this was all before i found out from reading on this thread that TAMU's wait list is almost three times the size of its class. i don't know why some school's have really long waitlists when like san antonio has a waitlist of 65 (a true congrats to those of you on the San Antonio waitlist). i am just left stumped. hopefully you are right kilppy.

best of luck guys. Its daunting and soul sucking but well worth the wait.

Hey,

I got on the waiting list at UTMB... But i'm out-of-state.. Does anyone know how many of us are on the waiting list?

Thanks

baylorshannon said:

I'm at TCOM and and It seemed movement was probably more immediatly before classes, at least 4-5 people I remember (I know that sucks if you're sweating it out now) one guy was actually on his way to UTMB when he found out so he just did a U-turn on the freeway when he got the call. I would just carry on with reapplication plan/job/grad school whatever your backup plan was but maybe don't sign any long term leases or buy a house if you know what I mean, because TCOM does not interview that many people so they probably have a chance if your interviews went well.

klite said:
I'm at TCOM and and It seemed movement was probably more immediatly before classes, at least 4-5 people I remember (I know that sucks if you're sweating it out now) one guy was actually on his way to UTMB when he found out so he just did a U-turn on the freeway when he got the call. I would just carry on with reapplication plan/job/grad school whatever your backup plan was but maybe don't sign any long term leases or buy a house if you know what I mean, because TCOM does not interview that many people so they probably have a chance if your interviews went well.

Thanks for the advice! I'm working on grad school apps as I type...sorta. I'm planning on moving to FW anyway...so we'll just see. :)

roja said:
best of luck guys. Its daunting and soul sucking but well worth the wait.
Thanks Roja!

I just wish the schools weren't so secretive about how this waitlist stuff really works. Do you think they would tell me my ranking? I am getting the impression that most schools do not.

kilppy said:
Hmmm....I'm not sure about this. Last year when I didn't match, I called the school immediately (like the following Monday). When I asked about how many people would be on the WL, I was told about 100 (and this was before they had even compiled it).

I don't get it. Then again, this whole process has made me not get a lot of things :oops:

Waitlisted at TCOM and TTU.

impatiently waiting . . . :confused: and making plans to move out of state.

OrthoFixation said:
Waitlisted at TCOM and TTU.

impatiently waiting . . . :confused: and making plans to move out of state.
Where were you accepted out of state?

Good luck with TTU and TCOM :luck:

snowhard said:
Hey,

I got on the waiting list at UTMB... But i'm out-of-state.. Does anyone know how many of us are on the waiting list?

Thanks
Same here.
WL at UTSW and UTMB.

Status
Not open for further replies.