Textbook of Anaesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

centrino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I've finally decided to invest in a textbook. Most of my seniors suggested that I buy "The Textbook of Anaesthesia by Aitkenheads" since its good for beginners. The editions that most of the residents have is the 4th one published in 1995. The difference between 4th (1995) and 5th (2007) edition is that the 4th one has specific chapters on anatomy, physiology and pharma and physics while the 5th one has been cut short to make it more "portable" as mentioned in the preface of 5th edition.

Now the question is which one should I buy? The 4th one which also has basic science or the 5th one which has less emphasis on basic science.

What do you people suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

Kind of depends what level you are. If you are a resident then you should have Miller or Barasch. I think you should read through one of these during residency or at least have it for reference. one of the "starter texts" would be morgan and Mkhail (spelling?), baby miller. I think that the gold standard should be one of the major texts though. some may disagree and say its overkill. If you are a med student then one of the starter texts is fine.

Kind of depends what level you are. If you are a resident then you should have Miller or Barasch. I think you should read through one of these during residency or at least have it for reference. one of the "starter texts" would be morgan and Mkhail (spelling?), baby miller. I think that the gold standard should be one of the major texts though. some may disagree and say its overkill. If you are a med student then one of the starter texts is fine.

Talking about starters, so you think I should go for Morgan instead of Aitkenhead?

Talking about starters, so you think I should go for Morgan instead of Aitkenhead?

Morgan is by far what you want. The new baby miller is much better than the older version but most residents still like morgan better. Throughout your reading of morgan you will again and again find answers to board review questions written in bold print or listed as one of the key concepts printed at the begining of each chapter.

Most I think use the full version of miller as a reference, but I dont know anyone who is trying to wade through that text in its entirety.

You mention portability as well. If that is what you are after then you know you are going to be trading depth of material for portability. Then Clinical Anesthesia Procedures of the Massachusetts General Hospital text is probably what you want.