Textbooks or Handbooks for Clinical Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calicat16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I won't be starting clinics until June, but Christmas is coming up and the only things I can think of when family asks what I want are things that may help me during that time. I have a mentor that highly suggested a certain handbook, but I was wondering if anyone that's been through their clinical year more recently has any suggestions for "life-savers" they've used.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

That's a very common question and why we created a page just for it. Just check our website under resources. The bottom line is, it'll depend on how much you want to spend, what textbooks you'll have access in the hospital (check-in with the current fourth year's or head to the clinic and check it out), and what you're planning to do after graduation. The absolute minimum (for small animal at least) is a differential diagnosis book.

Current 4th year, here - don’t go crazy with collecting textbooks for the purpose of your clinical year. I asked for a couple of neat textbooks in the specialty I want to go into for Christmas last year, but you will likely have access to a lot of other texts you might refer to on clinics through the services you rotate through. Clinics is also a great opportunity to get a feel for what texts you might like to have when you get out in practice. I occasionally ask clinicians what some of their favorite resources are.

Would definitely recommend acquiring a copy of the small animal nerdbook and/or the differentials book, though. Scrubs, bandage scissors, coffee and/or restaurant gift cards, and things like that also make good holiday gift requests that will be very useful on clinics.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a very common question and why we created a page just for it. Just check our website under resources. The bottom line is, it'll depend on how much you want to spend, what textbooks you'll have access in the hospital (check-in with the current fourth year's or head to the clinic and check it out), and what you're planning to do after graduation. The absolute minimum (for small animal at least) is a differential diagnosis book.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Current 4th year, here - don’t go crazy with collecting textbooks for the purpose of your clinical year. I asked for a couple of neat textbooks in the specialty I want to go into for Christmas last year, but you will likely have access to a lot of other texts you might refer to on clinics through the services you rotate through. Clinics is also a great opportunity to get a feel for what texts you might like to have when you get out in practice. I occasionally ask clinicians what some of their favorite resources are.

Would definitely recommend acquiring a copy of the small animal nerdbook and/or the differentials book, though. Scrubs, bandage scissors, coffee and/or restaurant gift cards, and things like that also make good holiday gift requests that will be very useful on clinics.

Thank you. I agree, some new scrubs would be nice too :)

Thank you. I agree, some new scrubs would be nice too :)

If anyone's interested, here's a link for a post containing 4th-year student must-haves: 4th Year Vet Student Must Haves - VetMed Survival Guide

Agreed! As I mentioned above, there's no rush to get a bunch of books. See what you're interested in, see what the hospital has and make your decision!