thank you for your service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been leaning heavily on the military discount lately (on vacation) and as such have been thanks for my service several dozen times. How do you guys respond to that? 'you're welcome seems a bit sarcastic. 'It's my honor' is way to formal. 'Thank you' feels right, but thanks someone who thanked you is pretty terrible grammar. I've conisdered 'thank you for your tax dollars' but that seems provocative. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

"No problem." "Anytime." "Thank you for supporting me." "All for a good cause."

Members don't see this ad :)
"Thanks, I serve at the pleasure of the President" (for officers). I don't know, I might try this one out.

I've conisdered 'thank you for your tax dollars' but that seems provocative.
Agree with you there. Few of us pay those tax dollars willingly.

I'm with gastrapathy. A thanks back is always humble.

It used to be often (when I had a job), but, when uniformed enlisted soldiers would come into Hooters when I was there (as a customer), I would anonymously pick up their checks, and tell the server to tell them "thank you from a grateful citizen".

So I have been leaning heavily on the military discount lately (on vacation) and as such have been thanks for my service several dozen times. How do you guys respond to that? 'you're welcome seems a bit sarcastic. 'It's my honor' is way to formal. 'Thank you' feels right, but thanks someone who thanked you is pretty terrible grammar. I've conisdered 'thank you for your tax dollars' but that seems provocative. Thoughts?

You can thank them, for thanking you, for your service. Then they could thank you, for thanking them, for thank you for your service . . .resulting in a very circular conversation.

It's especially awkward when the person thanking you is 3 times your age and served in the military during much more difficult times (Vietnam, Korea, WWII). I like to remind these folks that their service was much harder, dangerous, and more involuntary than mine.

You can thank them, for thanking you, for your service. Then they could thank you, for thanking them, for thank you for your service . . .resulting in a very circular conversation.

It's especially awkward when the person thanking you is 3 times your age and served in the military during much more difficult times (Vietnam, Korea, WWII). I like to remind these folks that their service was much harder, dangerous, and more involuntary than mine.

:thumbup:

Even today I feel weird saying I am a veteran, because I didn't travel into a war zone during the 90s (bookended my career on both ends-my first drill was my unit's first one back from Storm and I was done in 2000-spent a fun month or so on 72 hour alert for Afghanistan 1, but they never put boots on the ground). My most dangerous mission was traveling into near South Side Chicago on Saturday and Sunday mornings to attend class in the armory by Washington Park. That makes my experiences as harrowing as the average University of Chicago student (since that's ~two blocks away).