Thank you letter by email or mail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaFuture

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey quick question guys, did you guys send a thank you letter to your interviewers by mail or e-mail? thx.

oh ya, if it was sent by mail, did you send an actual letter or a card?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Either is fine. Not sending a "thank-you" is also fine. Several schools specifically ask that you not.

hey quick question guys, did you guys send a thank you letter to your interviewers by mail or e-mail? thx.

oh ya, if it was sent by mail, did you send an actual letter or a card?

I've been on 3 interviews so far, and I sent e-mails to my interviewers thanking them because I wanted to let them have the chance to respond. I hate writing thank you notes and never getting even an acknowledgment! It hasn't seemed to hurt me so far.

Unless you ask a question that requires a response, you can't expect an acknowledgement of a thank you email.

This year, I've received expressions of thanks from about 1/3 of the applicants I've interviewed. It has been 50-50 email and snail mail. Most people who send something by mail use a little fold in half card commonly sold in packets of 6 to 10.

Unless you ask a question that requires a response, you can't expect an acknowledgement of a thank you email.

This year, I've received expressions of thanks from about 1/3 of the applicants I've interviewed. It has been 50-50 email and snail mail. Most people who send something by mail use a little fold in half card commonly sold in packets of 6 to 10.

ah Lizzy, do you prefer e-mail or snail mail?

Our administrators have indicated that on the residency trail, e-mail is becoming the standard and an acceptable method.

Either is fine, but many interviewees prefer to send e-mail because they have specific details and names still fresh in memory when they first see a computer, and can personalize it better. Whichever you choose, somebody will likely print it off and put it in your file, or photocopy it and put it in your file.

Despite what others may say, it is a crucial part of any application process. Not only because it helps you, but because it is the respectful thing to do after somebody has put time into researching and learning about you, and taken their day to speak with you on the school's behalf.

I personally email, and have surprisingly received a response from more than half of my interviewers- not that it matters, its just unexpected to receive a response from a thank you.

I would say it largely depends on the schools' manner in which they gave you the interviewer's contact information. At most schools, I was given a physical address and no email--which would imply that anything I need to send them would be sent via post. At the same time, one school gave me a list of emails, so I chose to write emails. When given both, I sent it by hand, because a hand-written card (IMO) is a bit more meaningful. Keep in mind this opinion is coming from someone with horrid handwriting!

I would say it largely depends on the schools' manner in which they gave you the interviewer's contact information. At most schools, I was given a physical address and no email--which would imply that anything I need to send them would be sent via post. At the same time, one school gave me a list of emails, so I chose to write emails. When given both, I sent it by hand, because a hand-written card (IMO) is a bit more meaningful. Keep in mind this opinion is coming from someone with horrid handwriting!

I just had an interview this past week...and from our conversations I understood she was worked from another campus site but when I looked for address online her address was listed under the main campus and not the clincal campus...

So my question is that if I send her a nice short snail mail copy...and also send even an email thank you just bc to make sure gets my note bc she not sure if her address online is updated yet?

What do you all think? or is it too redundant?

I know one school preferred e-mail because all of your correspondence would be included into your computerized application. If you were to send something by mail, they would have to take the extra step of scanning it onto the computer.

Me: "Do you think I should send a thank-you note to my interviewers?"
Him: "Oh god no. It makes me gag when people send those to me after an interview."

Him = my advisor, a physician/scientist at Mayo

EDIT: Not to say you should never write a thank-you note, but just keep in mind that not everyone likes receiving them. Just be careful with your words should you choose to do so.

Me: "Do you think I should send a thank-you note to my interviewers?"
Him: "Oh god no. It makes me gag when people send those to me after an interview."

Him = my advisor, a physician/scientist at Mayo

EDIT: Not to say you should never write a thank-you note, but just keep in mind that not everyone likes receiving them. Just be careful with your words should you choose to do so.

Haha gosh this thread was revived!

Anyways, I say a thank you letter isn't necessary. Probably just nice to send one anyways. I'm sure some will like it, others won't. Just person-specific.