thank you letter by email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfsup

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this ok?

Members don't see this ad.

no; i wouldn't. the least formal i would go is typing up a letter to them and delivering it in an envelope. handwritten is best though.

Do we send thank you notes to all of our interviewers??

Members don't see this ad :)
i would send a thank-you note to each interviewer, and reiterate how much you want to attend; and also to all LOR writers.

I sent handwritten thank you notes to my LOR writers. Interviewers got thank you emails.

Honestly, by the time you get either to an interviewer your fate will likely be determined. Most committees meet late in afternoon after the interview day to discuss who gets an offer, who gets wait listed and who gets rejected. But, it you really want to smooze, the hand written letter is the nicest.

about 60% of interviewers send thank you notes - a statistic i gleaned off this forum about a month ago. if your interview went really well, i don't think its necessary. if your interview was in the very gray, difficult-to-gauge area, then it might not hurt. in general, its a pissy and potentially annoying thing to do, though.

A friend of mine who interviews prospective medical students says the ONLY time recieving a thank-you affected a canidate's choice was when the person had sent an e-mail.
They said that typically soon after the canidate's interview is over they write up what is needed about the canidate. This interviewee apparently went directly from the interview to the school library and wrote a thank-you email. My friend was impressed and said that the person got a better review than they would have otherwise.

I recently sent a thank-you note to someone, and they told me they were very pleased that I did not phone, voicemail, instant-message, or e-mail instead.

A handwritten thank-you note is a mark of appreciation and acknowledgement of the other's effort. During the few minutes that it takes to write and mail it, I get to think about how one more person has helped me on my way to med school. Sending out that good positive energy is always a good thing.

Get some good notepaper and matching envelopes, and a big pile of stamps. A smaller size paper means you don't have to write much to fill the page. If you have time on interview day, you can always write notes after your interviews and then just drop them in campus mail. Otherwise, write and mail at the airport on your way out.

I think thank-you notes are a waste of time. First of all, at my U-Wisco interview, the interviewers were required to fill out the form about you IMMEDIATELY after the interview. How would a thank-you letter help you then? Granted, it is a kind gesture, but it won't help you get into medical school. Plus, if a decision on you comes down to "did they write a thank-you card", you probably won't get in anyways. I believe it is far more important (100 fold!) to actually do well in the interview, then to attempt to brown-nose afterwards. As the saying goes, "just my .02"

its not really a way to brown nose or get a bit of an advantage; its common courtesy since he/she took time to meet and speak with you.

Jeeze, you guys are making me feel guilty for just emailing my interviewers:(

Originally posted by thackl
Jeeze, you guys are making me feel guilty for just emailing my interviewers:(

You guys make the adcoms out to be a bunch of demons that brood over the applicants and focus exclusively on their shortcomings: "My, this applicant we just finished interviewing said "umm" TWICE, he forgot to CURTSEY when he entered my office, and to make matters worse, he used a half-windsor knot on his tie instead of the conventional four-in-hand knot! A HALF-WINDSOR KNOT! Can you believe it? And what GALL!!! He sent his Thank You note to us by EMAIL rather than by hand-written mail. Was he in too much of a HURRY? He may have a four-point-oh, but that 44S is FAR from PERFECT! Theeerrrrow him on the waiting list!!!

On a serious note: I've noticed that some profs (non medical) are the email type and that others seem only to respond to snail mail. Unless you can gauge the category into which your interviewer fits, I would send whichever you prefer. It's the thought that counts. ;)

Good Luck and Congrats on the interview

hey guys, i emailed my interviewers last year, and my thinking was this (and this was actually agreed with by several admissions secretaries last year): These adcom members are dealing with a ridiculous amount of paper traffic between your amcas printouts, secondaries, LORs, etc, that sometimes the extra mail will just get tossed or becomes just an extra burden. so, i emailed my interviewers (including the ones at the school I currently attend), seems to have turned out fine :)