Thank you letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatoneguy3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have an opinion about writing thank you letters to schools after an interview? I’ve heard some schools don’t like them, but I’m not sure where to look for info about whether or not I should do it

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone have an opinion about writing thank you letters to schools after an interview? I’ve heard some schools don’t like them, but I’m not sure where to look for info about whether or not I should do it
Some people may see thank you cards as brown-nosing or "sucking up" so to speak. In my view, and in the view of most mature professionals who have ever had to apply for professional jobs, sending a handwritten thank you letter to your interviewer is a simple gesture to show gratitude. Most applicants do not realize that interviewers are physicians, faculty, community members and med students who take time out of their busy schedules/day jobs to assess whether you'd be a good fit for the school.

However, some schools do actively discourage thank you cards for their own reasons and it is important to be cognizant of this. With that said, I would simply ask the admissions officer at the interview or email after the fact to see if it's okay to send a thank you card.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That seems like a really weird question to ask.
"is it okay if I send the interviewers a thank you card?"

This can only go one of two ways:

"Absolutely! Here is the address where you can send the letter."

Or ...

"No, the committee does not accept thank you cards at this time."

What is weird about asking? I am genuinely curious to understand your thought process on this. At the last interview I went to, the admissions officers gave us the interviewers contact information and encouraged us to send thank you cards. If this was the case, would you think twice about sending one?

I was referring to the gray area where they don't openly encourage nor discourage it then this is the approach you could use.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

They have no effect upon your application where your fate. Only do them if your mama taught you to be polite.

Interviewers will typically decide your fate about 30 minutes after the interview is over

Reactions: 1 user
What is weird about asking? I am genuinely curious to understand your thought process on this.

I think asking someone for explicit permission to send him a thank-you card makes the gesture seem far less genuine. It makes it seem like an agreed-upon formality rather than a heartfelt expression of gratitude. Maybe that's just me.

Interviewers will typically decide your fate about 30 minutes after the interview is over

Then why does it take them so long to get back to candidates after the interview?

I think asking someone for explicit permission to send him a thank-you card makes the gesture seem far less genuine. It makes it seem like an agreed-upon formality rather than a heartfelt expression of gratitude. Maybe that's just me.

Then why does it take them so long to get back to candidates after the interview?
The Adcom has to meet and make a final decision.

I was referring to the decisions made by the individual interviewers.

Reactions: 3 users
If you ever apply for an actual professional job, you may notice that sending thank you cards is standard etiquette. At the end of of the day it's all about perception. You see it as an agreed upon formality whereas I do genuinely feel grateful. I know full well that it will not affect my chances of getting in but that makes absolutely no difference to me.

The only reason I am suggesting to ask permission is because some medical schools actively discourage thank you cards. If this was not the case, then I would always send thank you cards and encourage everyone to do the same.

However, keep in mind that I am suggesting that you ask the admissions officer if the interviewers accept thank you cards. It's no different than asking if that school accepts OOS applicants, letters of recommendation from a non-science professor or how the interviews will be structured (MMI vs panel vs traditional).