Thank-you note SNAFU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Woots32

kinda funky, kinda fine
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I screwed up - I lost the sheet w/ the names of my interviewers at Michigan, and now it's been 2.5 weeks. But I found their names today, so what do I do? Apologize for the lateness, but risk pointing out how I screwed up? Tell them that I'm still very interested in Michigan? Any thoughts on how to dig myself out of this one? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

No, don't even mention the lateness. You'll only draw MORE attention to it! Just write:
"Thank you for interviewing me on the week of blah, blah"

Or

"Thank you for meeting with me several weeks ago blah, blah"

Or mention the date....just as long as they know that it wasn't two days before and they're wondering why they can't remember you.

I don't know if that's good advice, but that's what I'd do. :D

Yeah, accentuate the positive and don't write about the negative.

-RA

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Random Access
Yeah, accentuate the positive and don't write about the negative.

-RA
Sorry, but is anyone thinking of Perry Como right now?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thank you notes are not necessary. I think the admissions people toss them out rather than read them. Schools interview about 500+ applicants. Do you think the faculty who are responsible for patient care, research, and lecturing will have time to read even 100 letters?

Originally posted by Ophtho_MudPhud
I think the admissions people toss them out rather than read them.
That's why I just fired off a "thank you e-mail" directly to my interviewer.

Thank you notes are not necessary.
You're right, but it's considerate. My interviewer was really cool and a fantastic interviewer and I wanted to thank him for his time. I don't think there's anything wrong with sending an e-mail or letter telling them how you feel... ;)

Thank you notes are not necessary. I think the admissions people toss them out rather than read them.

...This may be true in some cases, but I know someone whom got a thank you note for her thank you note. Now although that seems a little strange...those notes are definately noticed, appreciated, and in my opinion pretty important.

Originally posted by SoCal
I know someone whom got a thank you note for her thank you note.
LOL! I once got a thank-you note for sending a thank-you note to a man and woman who helped me get my car stuck out of an icy road in front of their house. They were complete strangers (until I asked for their name). I was so grateful that I mailed them a thank-you note and they must've really felt appreciated, that they mailed one back! ;)

Now although that seems a little strange...those notes are definately noticed, appreciated, and in my opinion pretty important.
I agree....

Thank you notes are not necessary. I think the admissions people toss them out rather than read them. Schools interview about 500+ applicants. Do you think the faculty who are responsible for patient care, research, and lecturing will have time to read even 100 letters?

Tell that to the Columbia people, bud. ;) I used to feel the same way as you before...but I do disagree when you say they aren't necessary. I think it's common courtesy, and interviewers deserve them.

-RA

It really doesn't make that much of a difference. I didn't write one thank you note when I applied to medical school, and I was accepted to Columbia.

When I applied for residency, my program director advised us not to write thank you notes because people know everyone writes them. Some of my colleagues didn't write one letter, and others did. It didn't make that much of a difference even for residency applications.

Like I said before, write the letter if you're simply a nice person and would like to thank an outstanding interviewer. Don't feel obligated because other people are sending thank you notes.

Originally posted by Random Access
Tell that to the Columbia people, bud. ;)
Hello RA,
Does that mean that you got into Columbia?

I saw your movie quote in another thread.....I give up. What movie ??

:D

Write the thank you note if you're grateful, but don't do it because you think it's necessary. They won't help much in the final selection process.

If you don't think it's necessary because you aren't thankful, then you're an ingrate and should have been weeded out in the interview!! :laugh: It may not be absolutely necessary for admission, but you might run into these people again, and I would prefer to be remembered as someone who took the trouble to write. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The bottom line is that the original post was stressed about not writing the thank you letter. I worked closely with the admissions people at my medical school, and the letters are not that big of the deal. There's no need to stress if you don't write them.

If I thought the interviewer was nice and the interview was enjoyable, then I thanked them for their time at the end of the interview. An applicant's demeanor at the interview is more memorable than a short thank you note. This is why interviewers have pictures of the applicants and jot down notes at the end.

It may not be absolutely necessary for admission, but you might run into these people again, and I would prefer to be remembered as someone who took the trouble to write.

You really think people will remember you because you wrote a thank you note??? :) After four years of medical school, I'd doubt you'd be remembered simply because you took the trouble to write.

If this is true, then more power to you! Good luck. :)

Come on! You don't write thank-you notes in hopes it will get you noticed! :mad:

You write sincere, heartfelt thank- you notes because it increases good will among men, it reveals consideration and appreciation.

The purpose of a thank- you note is to show gratitude for help that was given. AND THATS ALL!

Thank you for your time in considering this thread.
Emily Post

Ma! you sound like my ma...:laugh:

And Ma! is right. You don't write thank-you notes b/c you think it'll make the admissions gods smile upon you. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Who cares-- that is not the point of a thank you note. These people took time out of their day to tell you about the school. Send them a nice short note b/c you're a nice, considerate person. I promise it won't cause you undue pain.

Originally posted by Woots32
Okay, I screwed up - I lost the sheet w/ the names of my interviewers at Michigan, and now it's been 2.5 weeks. But I found their names today, so what do I do? Apologize for the lateness, but risk pointing out how I screwed up? Tell them that I'm still very interested in Michigan? Any thoughts on how to dig myself out of this one? :confused:

I think you should just send an email to them using voice recognition software that mixes up half the words.

Originally posted by mws99
I think you should just send an email to them using voice recognition software that mixes up half the words.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Because I'm an August MCATer and haven't received any interviews yet, I haven't decided what I'll do. I do think that thank you notes are not necessary and may not be as appreciated as you might think. I have been interviewed tons of times in a professional setting, and I have even conducted interviews. When I was interviewing for jobs in the legal market, I heard people tell me that writing a thank you note cannot help you it can only hurt you. If you feel like doing it, by all means do. But if there is a mispelling or gramatical error, or any other problem it can hurt you. If you send a thank you note, make sure there are no errors in it, and that you send it the day of or the day after the interview. If it's been more than a week, don't bother. It only looks like you didn't get around to it because you aren't really all that interested. I've never seen a thank you note help someone, I have seen it hurt people, and I've never seen anyone harmed by not sending it. I can't imagine it would be any different for medical school, where the interviewers are actually interviewing a lot more people and are even more inundated with thank you notes.

Having said that I usually send them because I do think it is polite. But if you don't want to don't worry about it. I received a number of job offers from prestigous law firms where I did not write a thank you note. And as for the original poster, I would advise not sending a thank you note two weeks after the interview.

I will probably send thank you notes to my top choices (if I even get interviews at those schools) and will not bother for the rest unless I really connect with someone or feel they were unusually helpful.

Originally posted by Caerulea
I saw your movie quote in another thread.....I give up. What movie ??
:D

If it was the most recent one...Chasing Amy...

-RA

At U of Ariz we were instructed during the beginning of the orientation process for the day of tours and interviewing NOT to write thank you letters. to our interviewers They said letters will be thrown away and that interviewers could look upon us unfavorably if we didn't heed the school's request.

At least they were upfront!

hey pinki.. i also interviwed at U of A last week.. on tuesday.. and they didnt telll me htat.. so here i was today figuring out if i should send one or not and then i read your posts! thanks! haha dont have to and better not to.. Ya i read your interview story. taht is awsome> I had a great experience too.. however the guy didnt give me a bear hug :( hahahaha u at ASU.. im at ASU