Thank you notes email AND hand written?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KKT1992

Dog Gets Stuck In Bush, Pretends Everything Is OK
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too annoying if I send an email thank you note in addition to a handwritten thank you note? I was planning on doing handwritten ones but they both gave me their email and I was wondering if it was too excessive to both email and hand write a thank you note to them :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think it's redundant. The written one "means" more (although it may not even be read at all), so the email one that they'll receive first kind of detracts from that IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha okay thanks guys. I'm still gonna handwrite because I'm a big fan of hand written thank you notes but I guess I'll just do that and not email

Hand written notes are best, if you're good at making them thoughtful and referring to some unique interaction you had during the interview woven in naturally, and you buy some really cute ones. HOWEVER, if you are given emails adresses you should use those instead. If you are told NOT to send any thank you's, that trumps it all.

You should always ask (not the interviewer directly) but whoever is your contact person for interview day what the thank you note policy is.

You should never disobey instructions given by the med school in your app process, one of the qualities they are looking for is following instructions, and it will automatically count against you to disobey.

They always say thank you notes don't mean much, probably true, but I've known of cases where they seemed to have a positive effect. They key is to know how to use them to your advantage and not **** yourself with them.

Email AND handwritten? Way too desperate.

Do what they say and use handwritten if given the choice.

Reactions: 1 users
Hand written notes are best, if you're good at making them thoughtful and referring to some unique interaction you had during the interview woven in naturally, and you buy some really cute ones. HOWEVER, if you are given emails adresses you should use those instead. If you are told NOT to send any thank you's, that trumps it all.

You should always ask (not the interviewer directly) but whoever is your contact person for interview day what the thank you note policy is.

You should never disobey instructions given by the med school in your app process, one of the qualities they are looking for is following instructions, and it will automatically count against you to disobey.

They always say thank you notes don't mean much, probably true, but I've known of cases where they seemed to have a positive effect. They key is to know how to use them to your advantage and not **** yourself with them.

Email AND handwritten? Way too desperate.

Do what they say and use handwritten if given the choice.

THANK YOU! Exactly the answer I was looking for. They gave us an address and instructions on where to send and how to address the hand written notes, so I'm going to go with that :)

Hand written notes are best, if you're good at making them thoughtful and referring to some unique interaction you had during the interview woven in naturally, and you buy some really cute ones.
Don't make them TOO cute (and IMO, glitter is definitely overkill). Standard thank you cards are fine, too.

Reactions: 1 user
Only if you wish to show how neurotic you are.

Is it too annoying if I send an email thank you note in addition to a handwritten thank you note? I was planning on doing handwritten ones but they both gave me their email and I was wondering if it was too excessive to both email and hand write a thank you note to them :shrug:

Reactions: 3 users
The secret is the write the note in your own blood and include a lock of the interviewer's hair.

Last edited:
I was a hiring manager in my previous career and I thought it was strange to get hand written notes. Email all the way.

It probably doesn't matter, except if the ad com is meeting before your hand written note would get there.

I can't remember who it was, maybe @Goro, but one of the adcoms here mentioned that thank you notes are an "expected annoyance" (I believe that's the correct wording). Do adcoms really care whether or not an interviewee sends a thank you note? From this side of the table, it just seems like after the first 300 or so, it would get a little old to read the same words about how great of an interview it was and how excited the interviewee is to hear back from you!

Yes, they are polite, and I am annoyed that my nieces have NOT sent me thank you notes for my wedding presents to them, but I just toss thank you notes when they're sent to me by interviewees.

Perversely, I'll answer back to a thank you email.

I can't remember who it was, maybe @Goro, but one of the adcoms here mentioned that thank you notes are an "expected annoyance" (I believe that's the correct wording). Do adcoms really care whether or not an interviewee sends a thank you note? From this side of the table, it just seems like after the first 300 or so, it would get a little old to read the same words about how great of an interview it was and how excited the interviewee is to hear back from you!

Reactions: 1 users
I literally wrote stacks of these...it didn't do squat.

Just a quick email and be done with it. If you do both, anyone who realizes you sent both will know you're just trying to kiss butt opposed to sending one quick note to be genuinely thankful.

In other words, only send them to express true gratitude. Say you really connected with an interviewer...send them a note.