Thank You Notes for Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trajan

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question -- what is the verdict on thank you notes? Essential or Phony?

Members don't see this ad.

My experience tells me it's unclear what is the best thing to do. I've heard arguments for both sides. When I applied to medical school, I didn't write thank you notes. Some do, and some don't. I don't think it makes that much of a difference, but as others have stated on SDN, it can hurt you if you write a bad letter.

I was told by my residency director not to write thank you letters for residency applications. However, I wrote to every single person I met during the interviews. I took notes on my Palm and wrote individual letters on my lap top on the plane.

I suggest you write the the thank you note if you want to or feel that it is important to you; otherwise, do not feel obligated because it's not expected.

There have been many discussions on this topic. IMHO, the verdict is neither essential nor phony, but simply polite. Do a search for more opinions than you're likely to want to read! Good luck on your interviews. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeebus... do we really need to beat this to death so many times? Be courteous and send them. If it helps, it helps. If it makes no difference, you're still being courteous.

-RA

hah - i took the lazy man's way out and fired off e-mails - and from what i have gathered from the responses they appreciated it - made replying easy, and its no sweat off my chest

of course they are only worth the paper they are printed on ...;)

-jot