Thank you notes/gifts to your preceptors?

Started by rxco2013
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rxco2013

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I was wondering what is a good way to keep in contact and build a good relationship with your preceptor? My preceptor just did an evaluation for me for an upcoming job interview with CVS, and I want to know if it's ok to get her a thank you gift? I don't want to look like I'm trying to suck up or anything. Also, did you guys write thank you notes and such to your preceptors after you are done with a rotation?
 
I have had students give me gifts and I think it is overkill and a little awkward. A nice hand written card, yes, please!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I would say that you have to appreciate your preceptor if he or she really taught you.
 
After IPPE, I took my preceptor out for pool and hand crafted beer. We are still friends and talk regularly via phone. Of course she won't be my preceptor anymore but long time friend she will be.

Nice. One of my preceptors took me out to a strip club.


I'm thinking these were preceptors not employed directly by the College of Pharmacy?

I think that a nice handwritten thank you note is sufficient for most student/preceptor interactions.
 
My favorite thank you's are the small ones you get a year or two down the road. It's nice to hear where someone is, how much more they've learned, and where the profession has taken them...

So they turned out to be good drug reps?
 
I'm thinking these were preceptors not employed directly by the College of Pharmacy?

I think that a nice handwritten thank you note is sufficient for most student/preceptor interactions.

Nope, he was one of the pharmacists at the site. Actually, my assigned "preceptor" was the manager who asked me which division I wanted to spend the month in, I chose MTM, so this guy was my immediate supervisor. He graduated in 2011. Funny thing is, if I had chosen to go to St. John's instead of LIU out of high school, he would have been my classmate, lol.
 
I roasted and ground (i know, i know...but they didn't have one there and I'm not hauling my $200 burr in...)some really good Ethiopian coffee one day when I was on IPPEs for one of the residents as he was a coffee guy. He ended up sharing a pot of it with my preceptor. So I guess I've sort of got a gift for a preceptor before 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad