Thank you Notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistJoon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it better to give a generic hand written thank you note on the day of the interview or email faculty thank you notes and how much you want tot go to the school? Thank you so much for your input

Members don't see this ad.

Some people say they aren't necessary. Some people swear by them. Do whatever you want.

Thank you notes are needed to show true interest within the university. Only send them if you are truly invested in one and want to make that transparent.

Otherwise.. they will never hurt you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you notes are needed to show true interest within the university. Only send them if you are truly invested in one and want to make that transparent.

Otherwise.. they will never hurt you!
should I send emails or write hand written notes?

I don't think you should have them prepared the day of the interview...you might want to write them after so you can incorporate parts of your interview into them so they can remember who you are. I personally prefer writing and mailing them as it shows a little more effort than e-mailing. Like @JLT223 has said, they probably won't be the make or break, but if you're in waitlist hell like me, every little bit of consideration helps.

I don't think you should have them prepared the day of the interview...you might want to write them after so you can incorporate parts of your interview into them so they can remember who you are. I personally prefer writing and mailing them as it shows a little more effort than e-mailing. Like @JLT223 has said, they probably won't be the make or break, but if you're in waitlist hell like me, every little bit of consideration helps.
thank you so much for your help! I think I will end up emailing them... just because my interview is late in the game so everyday really counts! I appreciate your advice. Good luck with the WL! Hope you will get in =)

Should I expect a reply from the emails?

And what does it mean if I get a reply

I didn't send a single thank you letter to any out of state schools when I interviewed, I got accepted to 4 of them. I sent letters to all my in-state Texas schools; didn't get a single acceptance from them.
I don't think it matters. Like. At all.

Reactions: 1 user
I did thank you emails for all my interviews and I was surprised to get a response from all of them, even if it was short. I don't think it matters that much but I actually enjoyed writing them because I could add anything I may have forgotten to mention in my interview. :) Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I sent 2 thank-you e-mails, got into one school. Both faculty replied to my messages.

I really don't think it has any impact on your admission chances but it's a kind thing to do. That being said, I'm a big believer in karma so take that as you will.

Reactions: 3 users