Thank you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1161543

Thank you for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear about the healthcare private equity getting rescinded.

IMO, if you're trying to "stand out" to T20, I don't think this plan stands out, but I'm also not an expert by any means. It's pretty cookie-cutter premed stuff. Most profiles of T20s I have seen have something truly extraordinary, like a Rhodes scholarship, Goldwater, non-profit founder, etc.

The Fulbright name carries weight and could elevate your app, but research tech jobs are usually 2-year commitments. If you apply now for Fulbright, you won't be able to do it next year because you'll probably still be working. If you get the Fulbright, you could probably just list it on your resume, but I doubt it will have the same weight if you don't end up actually doing it.

Again, I'm not an expert, so I'll defer to the likes of @Mr.Smile12 , @LizzyM , @chilly_md , @Faha and others, but that's just my thoughts based on what I've read and observed here.

IMO, if you're trying to "stand out" to T20, I don't think this plan stands out, but I'm also not an expert by any means. It's pretty cookie-cutter premed stuff. Most profiles of T20s I have seen have something truly extraordinary, like a Rhodes scholarship, Goldwater, non-profit founder, etc.
I think this is a huge exaggeration lol. I may be wrong, but I seriously have a hard time believing that every T20 student, or even the majority of T20 students, have something equivalent to Rhodes on their profile.

I will say stats are probably low for T20 as ORM though, especially that science GPA. I would avoid schools like UPenn, NYU, Yale, Harvard, Columbia, etc, your MCAT score is at like 10th percentile for T10s and the science GPA is probably around 10th as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Points #2 and #3 for your plan should be your priority. If you are interested in NYU-LI, then you should work as a scribe or MA in a pediatric office. You have enough research and more will not help since NYU-LI is primary-case focused.

Reactions: 1 users
Points #2 and #3 for your plan should be your priority. If you are interested in NYU-LI, then you should work as a scribe or MA in a pediatric office. You have enough research and more will not help since NYU-LI is primary-case focused.
Thank you for the feedback, I will definitely prioritize those two things and push research to more part-time.

Just out of curiosity, do you agree with the other folks that my stats are uncompetitive for NYULISM and other T20 schools? I know my stats aren't mind blowing or anything, but I thought they were competitive at least.

Thank you for the feedback, I will definitely prioritize those two things and push research to more part-time.

Just out of curiosity, do you agree with the other folks that my stats are uncompetitive for NYULISM and other T20 schools? I know my stats aren't mind blowing or anything, but I thought they were competitive at least.
Your stats are fine (but please don’t apply ONLY to top 20 schools).

What LunaOri said is exactly what I would say.

If you don't apply to school X, you've got a 0% chance of getting into school X.

I think your stats are fine and if you have the financial means, I think you should apply to the schools that you would love to attend. You should also apply to other schools outside the T20s as well to increase your chance of getting into a medical school.

Your research will be strong if you can get that paper out during the time you focus on points 2 and 3. The peer review process takes much time, which is highly dependent on many factors. This process can take up to a year or longer.

1 first author publication will be impressive, and if you can get that out before you apply June 2024 and improve points 2 and 3, you'll be competitive. I wish you the best!

Does this sound like a solid plan going forward? I know everyone says this, but I'm interested in T20 schools lol, especially NYULISM (pediatrics).

Please let me know what I could do better to "stand out", thanks!
I don't often say this, but why not apply this upcoming cycle? It would be fairly easy to craft your application around an interest in pediatrics (perhaps even academic pediatrics), and if you keep your volunteering percolating along I think you could get some traction.

Incidentally, NYU is old and ranked, NYU LISM is new and completely unranked.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't often say this, but why not apply this upcoming cycle? It would be fairly easy to craft your application around an interest in pediatrics (perhaps even academic pediatrics), and if you keep your volunteering percolating along I think you could get some traction.

I'm not super confident in my application, and I'm kind of afraid of having relatively low clinical hours and community service that isn't serving "underserved" populations and isn't tutoring as @Goro and @Mr.Smile12 like to encourage.

Am I being too neurotic do you think? I also might be comparing myself too much to my peers as well 😅

Agree with the wise Med Ed, I believe NYU LISM MCAT average is 515, so you are already way above stats wise for them. It is not unthinkable that you could grab an acceptance at NYU LISM or UNC Chapel Hill, you have the stats and enough hours.

Don't know how hard you are gunning for T20 for whatever reason, but your profile as it stands now might even be enough to snag some research loving T20s. Not an expert as I didn't get into medical school so would listen to @Med Ed 's opinion on that front, but I think you could probably apply this cycle and get in somewhere.

Taking another gap year to do the things you listed would make you a very strong applicant, could honestly consider MD/PhD with that much research.

I'm not super confident in my application, and I'm kind of afraid of having relatively low clinical hours and community service that isn't serving "underserved" populations and isn't tutoring as @Goro and @Mr.Smile12 like to encourage.

Am I being too neurotic do you think? I also might be comparing myself too much to my peers as well 😅
I think your hours are perfectly fine for a graduating senior who has had classes and the MCAT to contend with. The thing about gap years is they allow you a chance to increase hours and experiences, but they come with an increased expectation for hours and experiences. If you keep chasing the perfect application you'll never apply.

It may be helpful to step back for a moment and really focus on defining your goal. Is it to get into a T20 medical school? If so, then you're probably going to need some special sauce. Is it to get into an accredited MD program in the continental US? Then you're probably much, much closer to that then you realize.

Also, Google "compare yourself to others quotes" and read some of the distilled wisdom around this topic. Then delete all your social media.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I think your hours are perfectly fine for a graduating senior who has had classes and the MCAT to contend with. The thing about gap years is they allow you a chance to increase hours and experiences, but they come with an increased expectation for hours and experiences. If you keep chasing the perfect application you'll never apply.

It may be helpful to step back for a moment and really focus on defining your goal. Is it to get into a T20 medical school? If so, then you're probably going to need some special sauce. Is it to get into an accredited MD program in the continental US? Then you're probably much, much closer to that then you realize.

Also, Google "compare yourself to others quotes" and read some of the distilled wisdom around this topic. Then delete all your social media.
Hmm, thank you so much for the thoughts. My goal isn't T20 to be honest although of course that would be nice lol.

I think I would feel too rushed applying this cycle considering I haven't asked for LORs or started writing a primary draft yet, I'll focus on bolstering my clinical and non-clinical and reevaluate with you and everyone else next year. What do you think?

Hmm, thank you so much for the thoughts. My goal isn't T20 to be honest although of course that would be nice lol, it's really just to try and get into UNC Chapel (my state school), anything more would be a nice surprise.

I think I would feel too rushed applying this cycle considering I haven't asked for LORs or started writing a primary draft yet, I'll focus on bolstering my clinical and non-clinical and reevaluate with you and everyone else next year. What do you think?
I think you should sleep on it. As you are probably well aware, tasks expand (or contract) to fill the time allotted. Since you already have the MCAT out of the way, I personally think 6-9 weeks is sufficient to secure LORs and write a PS. If you use the trick of applying to a throwaway school then a chunk of that time will overlap with verification.

But you know your circumstances better than any anonymous stranger on the internet. It may be that you are better off focusing your attention on job applications and the Fulbright ETA application, which also requires statements and LORs.