Thanks to everyone for their advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaKi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided it is better not to enroll in the University of Miami for postbac. I have decided to a wait my admission for Northwestern. Georgetown phoned in and told me they no longer have the undergrad postbac but just the special masters program so that schools' out.

Wish me luck!!

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

AlphaKi said:
I have decided it is better not to enroll in the University of Miami for postbac. I have decided to a wait my admission for Northwestern. Georgetown phoned in and told me they no longer have the undergrad postbac but just the special masters program so that schools' out.

Wish me luck!!

:thumbup:
Good luck! :D

Alpha, what made you change your mind?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lily,

Well, in general I was not pleased with the advising either. I also didn't feel that the people were very receptive towards me. Finally, I could NOT get success rates and that really turned me off. I'm sure people can succeed going there but why be so secretive about it?

In the end, I think going there and seeing the environment was a huge boost to my decision. I am somewhat being bold since I deferred admission completely to Miami and now only have one shot to begin in the summer ( otherwise I can apply to a few schools but starting in the summer which will delay me ).

In the end, Northwestern appeared to be the best fit. Not only were the people very receptive, I got success rates, learned more about the environment and academic standards and got some advice about the rigor of the academics there.

I decided it was pretty much the best fit for me both socially and academically and will give me the best shot at my dream medical school: University of Rochester.

:)

hey alpha,

are you waiting for the northwestern master's in neurobiology program?
that looks like a cool program, i would have applied to it but it's past the deadline.

good luck!!! :)

No! Actually I just want to gain acceptance to their School of Continuing Studies. I don't have many of the pre-med requirements. :)

Sounds like you made the right choice, Alpha....UM is a private university...it's a lot of money to spend and they won't even give you historical success rates. I know that success rates don't guarantee anything and really about how hard you work and good your grades/applications look. But the fact that UM is so reluctant to publicize the stats, makes me skeptical that they are favorable. After all, why not share them? I wouldn't feel good about that either.

Anyhow, if you really want to get started, you can always take a couple of sciences in FIU this summer before heading out to Northwestern or wherever in the fall. I know they are offering Chemistry I this summer. Even the programs for prerequisites only, like Bryn Mawr and Goucher, will not frown upon one summer course. Anyhow, you might consider that taking a math refresher to get your feet with.