That one person who shouldn't be here (share sentiments)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't lie about scores and I don't disrespect cadavers but jesus, have a little bit of a sense of humor. You sound more whiney than anything. I cuss a lot. I joke around a lot. I don't attend lecture much. I also now how to shift to act around patients. Until you see that person working with patients I suggest you shut up and focus on yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

This thread did not go as the OP intended. Hah.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought this thread was going to be about the kid who doesn't even realize when they're being inappropriate.

I'd like to say as a girl, that if you want to play the "Future doctor" card in a bar, you are 100% entitled to do it, since it's practically the only good thing you get for all the drudgery and practically blinding yourself with Netter flashcards. Just be aware that it carries more impact if it isn't the first thing out of your mouth.

I'd like to say that as a girl, I think it's pretty sad if the "future doctor" card is the only card he's holding...

To the OP: I'm jelous! I wish there were more people like that in my class.

I'd like to say that as a girl, I think it's pretty sad if the "future doctor" card is the only card he's holding...

Well like your friend tiger orgasm said, I'm also holding netters cards. Not sure if that counts for anything but I can't sell them because they've been in lab a couple times.

If you think sleeping during class, or swearing, or being immature are grounds for being kicked out of the profession, well, have fun 3rd year.

This was my first thought. I mean if this guy things those things are awful he's going to have a conniption fit when he starts third year.

Right or wrong, the culture of medicine is pretty crass. Appropriate with patients but behind closed doors there are some pretty awful things said. Especially on surgery.

Off the top of my head:
-the EtOH game. When a drunk trauma that is pretty much fine comes in we all guess their BAC. The winner gets the babysit the patient til' they sober up in the morning and can be sent home or arrested.
-an attending pondering aloud in his office how a 400lb meth addict managed to get herself pregnant. He wanted to know where the men were that were knocking these women up.
-a demented old woman came into the hospital after falling off the toilet and possible LOC. While we ran the trauma she asked over and over again why she was there because she kept forgetting what we told her. One attending started yelling various answers from the corner: "you were on the titanic and it crashed!"; "you were skydiving and your parachute didn't open"; "your were bungee jumping and the cord snapped"

These are just a couple. Everyday attendings, residents and students say things that are probably "inappropriate." Medicine is rough, we are human, no one can be perfect all the time and students/residents/attendings develop coping skills and they are passed down the line through the culture of the occupation. Humor is a way to get through an otherwise depressing day.

Like others here the person I usually wonder about is the student that is a pretentious tool who seems socially inept. Not the fun ones who can actually interact with people.

...perfectly embodies what I dislike about medical school. I will keep it short because others have properly berated you already.

First, this is graduate level education. Some people learn well by attending lectures, others learn well from home, or a coffee shop. Some love text books, while some like powerpoint slides and adding little tid bits of more detailed info. This is an option at many schools (to not attend class), as well it should be. So drop it buddy.

Anatomy. Seeing as how most schools begin 1st year this way, and TONS of people all with potentially very "strong" personalities are grouped together for the first time, and all really STRESSED OUT (some the equivalent of a wet sock such as yourself, and some who are a little too outgoing or at least honest when talking with the wet sock) there is a high likelihood that not everyone is going to get along. Suck it up and tough it out. Welcome to the real world, which if you have had other jobs before you will know (or come to realize) that it is full of people you may not like to work around. Trouble is, you will inevitably probably work around them. And heck, some may even come under your care in the form of patients. Scary huh?

Lastly, people SHOULD laugh more often. Maybe that person's jokes didn't fit your sense of humor, but it doesn't mean everyone thinks the same way as you. There are some (people and textbooks, including those of the medical sort) that consider humor as a response to stress one of the most mature responses.

I would just like to ad that I too studied from home and did solid through med I/II. I too was probably loud and boisterous during anatomy (although no kidney tossing took place). Probably made countless inappropriate jokes on several services, and have been lauded time and time again for being a great team player and for working extremely well with patients. Additionally I have published 5 articles in good journals (NEJM, Cancer Research to name a few). So I don't really think your generalizations carry a lot of weight.

#1 Rules of med school, which you obviously haven't learned yet. Do what you feel you should be doing. Try and do it well. And worry about others when A) they are your patients or B) they are your subordinates and you are signing off on their work.

Off the top of my head:
-the EtOH game. When a drunk trauma that is pretty much fine comes in we all guess their BAC. The winner gets the babysit the patient til' they sober up in the morning and can be sent home or arrested.
-an attending pondering aloud in his office how a 400lb meth addict managed to get herself pregnant. He wanted to know where the men were that were knocking these women up.
-a demented old woman came into the hospital after falling off the toilet and possible LOC. While we ran the trauma she asked over and over again why she was there because she kept forgetting what we told her. One attending started yelling various answers from the corner: "you were on the titanic and it crashed!"; "you were skydiving and your parachute didn't open"; "your were bungee jumping and the cord snapped"

I laughed at some of those. Horrible I know but I am only human.

No kidding, but I have to admit if I were a guy I'd be picking them up by the dozens with that line (they'd also be blondes. In my if-I-were-a-guy imaginings, I like blondes).

It doesn't really work when you're a female. If anything, it just intimidates them more.

No kidding, but I have to admit if I were a guy I'd be picking them up by the dozens with that line (they'd also be blondes. In my if-I-were-a-guy imaginings, I like blondes).

It doesn't really work when you're a female. If anything, it just intimidates them more.
I like you

I never go to class because I can't learn having some old dude/chick talk all day. But, that doesn't make non-class goers bad physicians if they perform well on exams. And my lab group jokes around constantly, however we do respect our cadaver. It's COMMON human nature, after all, we are not robots.

And I DO go to meetings only for pizza. Free food, hello! :)

Hey, OP, there's a difference between being an a-hole and what you described. Most of what you described is what a lot of normal med students do (minus the cadaver thing, that's just not appropriate). People make jokes to lighten the situation, I don't think anyone can function being stressed all the ****ing time.

However, there are certain behaviors that definitely can be considered a-holeish. A chick in my class is loud and outspoken, nothing wrong with that except she takes it to a whole new level by disrespecting and arguing with professors. She told a prof from Britain that she can't understand what he's saying because of his accent and asked him to do something about it IN THE MIDDLE OF CLASS. She also argues with professors during GA about stuff... um, you're a first year and these people have been doing this 30-40 years?

I find these attitudes more annoying than crude humor, hell I curse all the ****ing time too, or going to talks for free food. Lighten up son.

Members don't see this ad :)

I must be weird but if you or any other girl told me that I would dig it.

wrong thread

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't start medical school until August, but a guy in my comparative vert anatomy class fits the description of people I hope I don't encounter too often in med school.. so far he has:

a) Been the only one to wear scrubs to lab
b) Frequently walk around the lab and talk about how he is going to beast the practical/lecture exam
c) Made sure everyone knows he's pre-med (why is this important?)
d) (this one is my favorite) He calls himself "the god of organic chemistry"

I dunno why he calls himself a god of something most people dislike, but oh well.

I frequently wonder if people like this are just missing that part of their brain that inhibits "douche-baggery"

Off the top of my head:
-the EtOH game. When a drunk trauma that is pretty much fine comes in we all guess their BAC. The winner gets the babysit the patient til' they sober up in the morning and can be sent home or arrested....

Doesn't sound like a very good prize
:barf:

So, just because we have entered MD school, will soon become professionals responsible for the care of other human beings, and are expected to operate 100% academically, socially, and ethically all times....we still have that one schmuck.

You know him/her. They were in your dissection group, high fiving the cadaver (or in my case, playing catch with an effing kidney). They don't attend class much and brag about it, and when they do come they sleep. They go to meetings for the pizza, lie about their test scores, and consistently act like they have not achieved senior status at a high school level.

They can be seen making comments like "Imagine *that* drug cocktail," "I'm a doctor (during their 1st year at a bar)" and swearing profusely.

They give the profession a shoddy name, and really should be removed.

Any good stories of complete inadequacy?

how about ppl with no sense of humor who are so completely serious all the time that everyone avoids them at all costs and/or talks about them constantly behind their backs.

I'm sick of the people who overparticipate in class. I mean participation is cool but damn there comes a point when you need to put your damn hand down. I've seen people who like the sound of their own voice so much that they raise their hand before the professor finishes asking the question, so the first thing they do is clarify what is being asked before answering.

^
haha, yeah there's this girl in one of my workshop groups that just loves to answer the question before anyone else can even internalized what the hell they were just asked...and of course everyone turns their head slowly and just stares at her like "u srs"...some people

Just to say: I've known people in various doctorate/professional degree programs who I'd never want anything to do with, and I've also met some really good people in such programs, so it goes both ways.

But anyway, guys intimidated by such things need to either (a) grow up, or (b) get punched in the face for good measure. Or both even. At least for me -- and this isn't just because I'm a med student myself -- any woman who has taken it upon herself to do something like medical school has already placed a few points in her column, as far as I'm concerned.

I like my women how I like my breakfasts - hot, easy and in the kitchen. :whoa:

haha people in my class used to blend in with the 1st years and go to all the orientation BS stuff every September for the free lunches and dinners. Didn't have to cook at all the first 3 weeks of school :)

any woman who has taken it upon herself to do something like medical school has already placed a few points in her column, as far as I'm concerned.

I couldn't agree more, especially if she's blonde :D

Question. Since you've mentioned blondes. I noticed this really really hot ugrad at the quiet area of a library. She's from california and has perfect skin and soft voice. I was going to hit on her but I was too tired. Do you think if I see her again, like at a local bar or somewhere, if i could gain a lot of points if i told her im a doctor?

Question. Since you've mentioned blondes. I noticed this really really hot ugrad at the quiet area of a library. She's from california and has perfect skin and soft voice. I was going to hit on her but I was too tired. Do you think if I see her again, like at a local bar or somewhere, if i could gain a lot of points if i told her im a doctor?

:confused:

How do you know she has a soft voice? Maybe its just the fact that shes in the quiet area of the library?

"It rubs the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again" Jaimie Grubbs

I'm glad we're all on the same page, here. :laugh:

I think we are. Creepy :p

i'm glad she doesn't have a loud voice because she might get kicked out the library. also how do you know all this stuff about her....does she know she has a secret stalker?

be careful..she might be like 17 or something.

Was this directed at me? I like how I'm suddenly the official SDN expert on picking up blondes with the "I'm going to be a dr btw" line.

I hear lots of widely disparate viewpoints over whether becoming a doctor increases your dating prospects.

On one side of the fence, we have conventional wisdom. Doctors make lots of money, often develop tremendous self confidence, do a valuable and socially acceptable job, and so forth. A rational woman would pick the doc every time. And getting in on the ground floor when they are a med student/resident just makes sense. (the converse is NOT true. A female doctor who is tied up all the time with work is going to have greater difficulty reproducing. For various evolutionary reasons, becoming a doctor doesn't help women much in attracting high quality mates)

On the other side of the fence, we've got the idea (expressed in other threads as well) that becoming a doctor doesn't help men pick up the pretty blondes, or anyone else for that matter. Since docs spend most of their time stressing about school or studying, they don't have "game". In another thread, someone remarked on the 'fact' that men who work at Walmart have the almost same chance of getting women that a doctor does. All it takes is spitting game, evidently. "game" is an art of creating a false image about yourself to fool the women into having sex with you. Like the feathers on a peacock. Even after the women figure out it's just an image, they might stay due to evolutionary reasons like the "sexy sons hypothesis".

Now, which one of these viewpoints is more true, I don't really know.

I think its somewhere in between the two you mention.

I'll just say that there is no way walmart man wins out. He may have game, but ultimately, you have to have cards to play with. You can only get away with bull**** for only so long. And, as you mentioned, people who figure out medical school (like the many other challenges in life, i.e. successful businessman, musician, etc) have confidence. Confidence is the only true peacock feather.

However, too many people going to medical school think that simply having a slightly better card is better. I'd argue this is false. You have to both have the card and be able to play it. The way I see it, its a skill that can be acquired, however, through experience and failure, much like how one learns how to be confident--through experience and failure. Confidence in life begets confidence in women, which begets more confidence in life....

I think its somewhere in between the two you mention.

I'll just say that there is no way walmart man wins out. He may have game, but ultimately, you have to have cards to play with. You can only get away with bull**** for only so long. And, as you mentioned, people who figure out medical school (like the many other challenges in life, i.e. successful businessman, musician, etc) have confidence. Confidence is the only true peacock feather.

However, too many people going to medical school think that simply having a slightly better card is better. I'd argue this is false. You have to both have the card and be able to play it. The way I see it, its a skill that can be acquired, however, through experience and failure, much like how one learns how to be confident--through experience and failure. Confidence in life begets confidence in women, which begets more confidence in life....

After I made the last post, I had some insight. "Game" isn't just about lies...it's more like advertising. You're trying to sell your sperm, basically, as being higher quality than the other sperm on offer. Due to obvious evolutionary differences between men and women, this tends to be a buyers market. :love:

Anyways, a doctor or a medical student in training who has a statistical 95% or so chance of eventually becoming a doctors is a legitimate winner. We can argue all day over how big an accomplishment it really is, but such an individual is more likely than average to have heritable traits that women are interested in. So the actual PRODUCT, said sperm, is the real deal.

But if said product doesn't have any spokespeople (aka friends who sell you to girls) or a flashy box image (aka a sixpack, nice clothes, a sports car), it's harder to get buyers interested. While women will go home with a man who's basically selling an empty box but has nice cover art, especially if alcohol is involved.

This simple explanation also explains why female doctors don't do as well in this game. Women are marketing their wombs and genitals. Their ability to make babys. This system is tons more complex and delicate, and if said woman is spending all her time running her body flat out, she'll pass her breeding years before even finishing residency. Not to mention all those hours at work can't be good for her ability to reproduce, and her availability to potential mates. Of course, a female who's made it to medical school and beyond also has a better than average chance of having good genes...but in reproduction, women do the careful picking of mates, not men. Men mainly try to sleep with all of the available women showing signs of fertility...which a stressed out doc/resident shows less of.

1) The mating game is a sperm chase (from a guy's perspective)
2) The mating game is like going to the puppy pound and picking the fun exciting one (from a girl's perspective)
3) you need to get out more often Postlessone. Holy crap. (from my perspective)

You have to be a real loser with no game to not be able to take advantage of being in medical school as a guy. It's so easy and you never even have to make it look like you're going out with the intention of showing off that you're going to be a doctor one day. It comes up within minutes of opening conversation because after you ask what year the girl is, she's going to want to know you're deal too.

Let's be real here, on any given night there are hundreds of girls going out looking to hook up if you're at a descent sized school with an undergraduate institution attached. And when you're a guy in medical school who finds the time to go out to bars and be social multiple times a week, life is awesome.

There is nothing better than being a first year at an awesome school that never holds you down.

Not to mention all those hours at work can't be good for her ability to reproduce

You should go read up on what really causes fertility to decline, amigo.

I'm the first one to admit that in terms of finding a mate or starting a family, it's usually much harder for female doctors than males. But you guys are forgetting that a woman dr or female med student could conceivably be in a position to pay childcare before their prime fertile years are over. There are quite a few SDN ladies I know who are doing this, some are even having that expense covered by their student debt.

You have to be a real loser with no game to not be able to take advantage of being in medical school as a guy. It's so easy and you never even have to make it look like you're going out with the intention of showing off that you're going to be a doctor one day. It comes up within minutes of opening conversation because after you ask what year the girl is, she's going to want to know you're deal too.

Let's be real here, on any given night there are hundreds of girls going out looking to hook up if you're at a descent sized school with an undergraduate institution attached. And when you're a guy in medical school who finds the time to go out to bars and be social multiple times a week, life is awesome.

There is nothing better than being a first year at an awesome school that never holds you down.

And you know this...how?

EDIT: Nevermind...based on your MDApps, I'm guessing you just didn't bother to change your status.

Last edited:
What if the Walmart guy is smart? Like Martin Starr's character in Adventureland. I'd rather share air with that guy than just about any bepenised classmate of mine.

What if the Walmart guy is smart? Like Martin Starr's character in Adventureland. I'd rather share air with that guy than just about any bepenised classmate of mine.

:laugh: And I have just found my new favorite word.

I didn't even start medical school yet and have already picked up mad women dropping the I'm going to medical school line, and not in a tool-ish type of way, kind of just like one of the above posters said - the "what do you do" question. It really is that easy lol

I didn't even start medical school yet and have already picked up mad women dropping the I'm going to medical school line, and not in a tool-ish type of way, kind of just like one of the above posters said - the "what do you do" question. It really is that easy lol
'Gratz on the mad women, Bra

This thread is not going the way OP thought it would...