The 04/18/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladybug2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I decided to start a thread for all of us April 18 MCATers. Please feel free to share in your thought, success and frustrations throughout this process here!

All the best!
Good LUCK to all of us! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

prep is going ok, just hope my score is consistent with the practice AAMC tests I've been taking

Members don't see this ad :)
i hear you on that one. i'm kind of freaked out by 3/28 mcat people and their experience, but at this point i don't really know what else i can do, i feel about as ready as i can be.

Yep, at this point I'm just brushing up on physics and taking practice tests.

I've been reading the 3/28 thread too, and it seems like the 1/30 thread. That group felt like they did terrible also, but IIRC they were pretty happy for the most part after receiving scores.

Last edited:
why are there so few of us on 4/18???

the june 09 thread has more activity :sleep:

I think lots of people took the test on 3/28 after spring break studying. I think in April people are having exams in classes they're taking, so not many would be ready for the MCAT. that's what I think is going on.

Guys how do you study for biology? I think it's hard to study for that section since they rarely ask direct questions. It has become more like Verbal. :mad:

I think lots of people took the test on 3/28 after spring break studying. I think in April people are having exams in classes they're taking, so not many would be ready for the MCAT. that's what I think is going on.

I wonder if this is going to affect the curve at all.

Guys how do you study for biology? I think it's hard to study for that section since they rarely ask direct questions. It has become more like Verbal.
I usually try to answer the question based on passage information and not outside knowledge (unless the question clearly calls for it, ie, a physiology question for a drug study passage that doesn't mention physiology). I think a huge trick is knowing when to use the passage to answer and when to use what you already know. There's really no substitute for practice, IMO.

I wonder if this is going to affect the curve at all.

I don't know about the curve. Some people say it's a pre-set curve. But then I'm not sure why would it take so long to grade our tests :confused: I wish they would give us a score for PS, VR, and BS right away and then in a month we can get a writing score.

Last edited:
I don't know about the curve. Some people say it's a pre-set curve. But then I'm not sure why would it take so long to grade our tests :confused: I wish they would give us a score for PS, VR, and BS right away and then in a month we can get a writing score.

Yeah I've heard that also, but I've also heard it's preset but then can be adjusted after the fact. I don't see why they can't give us at least a raw score the day of, and then release the curve and writing score later on. At least that way you would know something right away.

I'm taking it this day too, ditto with the anxiety reading the 3/28 thread. Ugh. I don't really feel like the AAMC science sections are that easy, so if they're going to be harder when anxiety is probably going to interfere with optimal brain functioning, this is not much to look forward to.

Also, what are you guys planning on doing the night before? What time are you going to sleep? Do you think you'll be able to sleep well, if at all? What time are you waking up the morning before? Will you have any last minute studying? Personally, I'm planning on doing a quick but thorough content review that night, write down all equations that I have memorized, make some likely pathetic attempt at sleeping, wake up ~6 am, possibly look over things a bit, then head over to the testing center. I've heard some places let you start early and some places are staggered.

Also, I've heard you can use the 10 minute tutorial time to write down things for the PS. I was considering writing down equations. The last thing I need is to totally blank on one of the kinematics or something... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey fellow anxious 4/18-er. i agree with you about the practice aamc exams...i feel like they are tough but fair and doable with enough review/practice, so who knows what we'll see on the 18th.

as far as sleep goes, i'm sure i'll be super nervous, but i'm gonna try and workout or run, which usually helps me sleep. probably will wake up at 6, read some kafka (weird i know, but helps me sharpen the mind), and get to the test center by 7:15.

i've heard of people writing down their equations during the tutorial, but i feel like it would be better to just read the tutorital, get centered, and help ease myself into the physical sciences section. but who knows, im just looking forward to lots of beer afterwards.

hey everybody! i totally forgot to check this group!
how is everyone feeling about test day? i know someone who took it last saturday and said that she was in the bathrooom crying after the first section b/c of all the gen chem... yikes. i really feel like you have to be uber confident going into it or else you will get psyched out the minute something is not familiar. anyway, i'm feeling good right now but REALLY struggling to keep up with all the studying. i'm doing examcrackers 10 week program and i'm currently about 3 days behind. sigh.
my test scores are going up dramatically, but last week, they fell about 5 points, so im trying to not get bogged down about that. :cool:
im so ready for this test to be over so i can have a normal life again.

I'm taking it this day too, ditto with the anxiety reading the 3/28 thread. Ugh. I don't really feel like the AAMC science sections are that easy, so if they're going to be harder when anxiety is probably going to interfere with optimal brain functioning, this is not much to look forward to.

Just remember that if it's unfamiliar to you, it's probably unfamiliar to everyone else as well. The curve will keep you safe.

Also, what are you guys planning on doing the night before? What time are you going to sleep? Do you think you'll be able to sleep well, if at all? What time are you waking up the morning before? Will you have any last minute studying? Personally, I'm planning on doing a quick but thorough content review that night, write down all equations that I have memorized, make some likely pathetic attempt at sleeping, wake up ~6 am, possibly look over things a bit, then head over to the testing center. I've heard some places let you start early and some places are staggered.

I haven't really thought about it, but I'll probably go to bed around 9 on 4/17 and get up around 6 on 4/18. I'm thinking about going on a short (~1 mile) jog to wake myself up, eating a light breakfast afterward, and leaving for the test center around 7:15. I'll probably also go find the place the week prior.

i really feel like you have to be uber confident going into it or else you will get psyched out the minute something is not familiar.
I think you're dead-on.

Is anyone else working full-time? I've found it's taken me much longer than the usual 2-3 months to start getting the scores I'm happy with on practice tests. In fact, I've been studying seriously since the end of November, and I still feel like I could improve given another month of so. But at this point I'm just ready for this to be over.

Is anyone else working full-time? I've found it's taken me much longer than the usual 2-3 months to start getting the scores I'm happy with on practice tests. In fact, I've been studying seriously since the end of November, and I still feel like I could improve given another month of so. But at this point I'm just ready for this to be over.

I'm working full time as well. I actually took the 3/28 test and voided it. The PS section put me into a massive tail spin and couldn't recover after that. Any suggestions on how to study now that I've exhausted all of the AAMC practice tests? Any help is appreciated.

Edit: This is my first post (so, Hi guys!), I've been a long time lurker.

sorry to hear about your void. at least you have a taste for how the test really feels, though that was a pretty expensive practice test, heh.

I'm using Kaplan's materials. Their full lengths seem a bit harder than AAMC's (at least in PS), and I've heard they better approximate the real thing in terms of difficulty. My scores have been similar for each.

I'm working full time as well. I actually took the 3/28 test and voided it. The PS section put me into a massive tail spin and couldn't recover after that. Any suggestions on how to study now that I've exhausted all of the AAMC practice tests? Any help is appreciated.

I know what you mean....I took 4/4 and the PS section was the worst PS i have ever taken (including AAMC 3-10). But, I only thought about it during the break and made sure that I forgot about it (forced myself) and moved onto the Verbal like nothing happened. I feel that I did really well on the Verbal, and okay on BS. I went ahead and scored it, but I have a gut feeling that I will have to retake.

I would suggest that you should continue to take AAMC practice tests every weekend and work on timing. Depending on how far away your retake is, I would plan on retaking as many practice tests that you can (essentially, 1 every Saturday) and thouroughly review it to see what you keep missing. Then study the stuff that you are missing/ getting wrong. Use the couple of extra weeks that you have to go over everything, and make sure that you are a lot more comfortable with the material this time around.

have any of you guys bought the new mcat guide thing with supposedly new passages? if so, do you think it is worth picking up? a few more practice materials couldn't hurt i guess...game time is approaching, i'm getting kind of nervous.

sorry to hear about your void. at least you have a taste for how the test really feels, though that was a pretty expensive practice test, heh.

I'm using Kaplan's materials. Their full lengths seem a bit harder than AAMC's (at least in PS), and I've heard they better approximate the real thing in terms of difficulty. My scores have been similar for each.

It's been my experience that Kaplan tests are easier than AAMCs because of the more generous curve and much easier VR sections. My Kaplan average is significantly higher than my AAMC average.

I'm hoping for a real MCAT score between the 2.

Hey! I am new on here. And I would like to make some friends on here and discuss probs and stuff. I'll b hopefully giving my MCAT in August. Goodluck to you all! tc

I took on 3/28 and voided it too. I'm using EK full-length and kaplan to practice now. I just got a 12ps,10vr,11bs on EK 1g. But I don't really trust that score or any score for that matter....what I saw on 3/28 was nothing like I've ever seen before. No matter what happens though, I'm determined not to void this time. It's quite expensive to void! lol

I'm new here too, hi! I'm also working full time as a back office medical assistant. I know how hard it is to study after working 8-12 hours a day, but I started back in January so I hope that's enough time, still not sure if I'm ready for 4/18 though. Trying to stay confident, I know us 4/18'ers are gonna kick some butt! Any last minute tips on how/what to study until 4/18? I figure more practice tests and full lengths, but what is everyone else doing? Keep up the momentum guys we're almost there!!

I'm new here too, hi! I'm also working full time as a back office medical assistant. I know how hard it is to study after working 8-12 hours a day, but I started back in January so I hope that's enough time, still not sure if I'm ready for 4/18 though. Trying to stay confident, I know us 4/18'ers are gonna kick some butt! Any last minute tips on how/what to study until 4/18? I figure more practice tests and full lengths, but what is everyone else doing? Keep up the momentum guys we're almost there!!

A lot of people keep saying "practice tests practice tests practice tests" but I think there's a lot to be said for doing content review in between practice tests, especially while going over the test afterwards. I've been alternating practice tests with content review and it's been helpful.

I took on 3/28 and voided it too. I'm using EK full-length and kaplan to practice now. I just got a 12ps,10vr,11bs on EK 1g. But I don't really trust that score or any score for that matter....what I saw on 3/28 was nothing like I've ever seen before. No matter what happens though, I'm determined not to void this time. It's quite expensive to void! lol

haha I know what you mean about not trusting any scores any more. I just do it for the practice. For me its all about timing. I was short 3 questions by the time PS was done. Also, I'm trying to fight the feeling of not being confident after finishing a section because you never know what could happen. Any of you guys taking it in Lake forest, CA?

I'm taking it on the 18th as well. I just want to take it but at the same time am saving my last 3 AAMC's for the next 5 days. Lets hope all goes well.

I still have shell shock after 3/28. Hopefully 4/18 is not as bad. I was almost blown out of my decision to be a physician.<----=You cant give up though.:scared:

hey everyone, just came by to see how everyone is doing. what are all your last minute game plans? i saved 3 AAMC practice tests for the last week...that's probably all i'll do final week, along with some content review in between.

hope the studying is coming together for you guys. good luck.

It's been my experience that Kaplan tests are easier than AAMCs because of the more generous curve and much easier VR sections. My Kaplan average is significantly higher than my AAMC average.

I'm hoping for a real MCAT score between the 2.

That's my experience. I would get Kaplan 3 to 5 points higher than for AAMC tests. Kaplan tests background knowledge, not reasoning. Some people do really bad on Kaplan and very well on AAMC.

Do you guys think the 4/18 will be hard? I feel like the AAMC is well ahead of the game and is setting a trap for those of us that voided on the 3/28 since that was the next available date to re-register. Add the fact that if you void on the 4/18, you can't register for the 4/24 test date.The pattern seems a tad eerie....
I know it's futile trying to predict the difficulty level of a standardized test but it does make one think......:xf:

Last edited:
^man, i hope it's not hard...

but in all seriousness, you 3/28 people have an advantage cause you guys already know what it's like to take the real mcat. im scared as hell because i haven't taken the real thing before....

w/e i hope we all end up doing well on this one cause i REALLY don't wanna retake in may (or june :eek:)

Hello everyone!
Yesterday I visited this website for the first time in my life, and after reading 03/28 and 04/04 MCAT discussions I felt like shooting myself, but, whatever, I'm taking this test next week.
I wish the best of luck to everybody! Just make sure you go to the exam with a positive attitude, and don't give up in the middle of the test!

hey everyone, just came by to see how everyone is doing. what are all your last minute game plans? i saved 3 AAMC practice tests for the last week...that's probably all i'll do final week, along with some content review in between.

hope the studying is coming together for you guys. good luck.

i plan to do AAMC 9 on Saturday, AAMC 10 on Tuesday, and after that no more practice tests. I don't want to get a lower score a couple days before the exam and lose confidence. I'm also planning to do Kaplan physical sciences tests....And verbal, which is my weakest spot...

That's my experience. I would get Kaplan 3 to 5 points higher than for AAMC tests. Kaplan tests background knowledge, not reasoning. Some people do really bad on Kaplan and very well on AAMC.

Yes, that's what happens to me...I do poorly on Kaplan, yet I do way better on AAMC...Anyway, what is most important is to do WELL only once, and that is on April, 18th...:) Good luck, DocDrakeRamoray!

Do you guys think the 4/18 will be hard? I feel like the AAMC is well ahead of the game and is setting a trap for those of us that voided on the 3/28 since that was the next available date to re-register. Add the fact that if you void on the 4/18, you can't register for the 4/24 test date.The pattern seems a tad eerie....
I know it's futile trying to predict the difficulty level of a standardized test but it does make one think......:xf:

Hello, MegaProjectile, I may be wrong, but I heard that AAMC administers several different tests on the same test day, and it's just a matter of luck whether you'll get an easy test, or a hard test...So...We'll see, my friend...But prepare yourself psychologically that it will be a super hard test. That way if the test is easy, things should go smoothly for you. If it's hard, you won't be nervous or panic as much, since you would already be prepared....

prepare yourself psychologically that it will be a super hard test. That way if the test is easy, things should go smoothly for you. If it's hard, you won't be nervous or panic as much, since you would already be prepared....

That's a good advice. To be prepared for the worse (but not to start freaking out) is better than to be in total shock on the test day.

Yes, that's what happens to me...I do poorly on Kaplan, yet I do way better on AAMC...Anyway, what is most important is to do WELL only once, and that is on April, 18th...:) Good luck, DocDrakeRamoray!

Thank you same to you :) Do content review you will do fine if you do well on AAMCs, I have a bit of trouble with that kind of reasoning AAMC tests require, but I'm getting used to them.

Out of curiosity, who here hasn't written a single practice essay? I definitely haven't. I've looked at some essay examples to get an idea of what they want, but I just never motivated myself to care about the writing sample.

Hello, MegaProjectile, I may be wrong, but I heard that AAMC administers several different tests on the same test day, and it's just a matter of luck whether you'll get an easy test, or a hard test...So...We'll see, my friend...But prepare yourself psychologically that it will be a super hard test. That way if the test is easy, things should go smoothly for you. If it's hard, you won't be nervous or panic as much, since you would already be prepared....

Thanks Mashuk.The mental preparation is the hardest part. I'm still not sure if I can withstand another version of 3/28. I'm hoping for the best. May be I should ditch the books and start doing some serious yoga.:laugh:

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, who here hasn't written a single practice essay? I definitely haven't. I've looked at some essay examples to get an idea of what they want, but I just never motivated myself to care about the writing sample.

I would definitely suggest that you write at least a couple of essays before the test. Just give yourself an hour as in the real test and do two essays. Don't completely underestimate the importance of writing section. I know people who got N's and M's just because they hadn't been practicing at all. before the test...I'm pretty sure you'll do well on writing section, but for your own benefit try a couple of essays before the test day, and see how it goes! Good luck!!!

we got one week left.....till the test

we got 5 weeks left till we get our lives back :laugh: (may be :scared:)

how's studying coming along btw? i got like two practice tests left to take (8 and 10) and a lot of content review

thank god the university library is open 24/7 starting this sunday :thumbup:

how's studying coming along btw? i got like two practice tests left to take (8 and 10) and a lot of content review

Hello, JokerMD...I have 3 tests left (8, 9, and 10), but I'm going to do only two - 9 and 10...Yes, one week left! Hopefully, this will be a successful Saturday for all of us - April, 18th...

Hey guys, home stretch time. i took AAMC 8 today, and i have to say i thought it was tough...ive taken everything out of order and i have 6 and 7 left, and i thought so far 8 was the hardest. Anyone else feel this way about AAMC 8?? Just as an idea ive been averaging about 33-34, but on this one i got 30, and i thought it was going to be even lower after i finished. maybe it was just a bad day, but i feel like the real exam is going to be more like 8, very passage based bio and such.

anyways just thought id share my experience...hope things are going well for everyone. its time to push hard, balls to the wall until the test for me.

Hello, JokerMD...I have 3 tests left (8, 9, and 10), but I'm going to do only two - 9 and 10...Yes, one week left! Hopefully, this will be a successful Saturday for all of us - April, 18th...

Same here. I've got 3 left and will probably do 9 and 10 or 8 and 10. At this point I'm where I want to be in terms of practice scores, and really haven't been studying a whole lot the past week or so. I've done a few timed practice problems and about an hour's worth of content review. Pretty much ready to roll.

Hey guys, home stretch time. i took AAMC 8 today, and i have to say i thought it was tough...ive taken everything out of order and i have 6 and 7 left, and i thought so far 8 was the hardest. Anyone else feel this way about AAMC 8?? Just as an idea ive been averaging about 33-34, but on this one i got 30, and i thought it was going to be even lower after i finished. maybe it was just a bad day, but i feel like the real exam is going to be more like 8, very passage based bio and such.

anyways just thought id share my experience...hope things are going well for everyone. its time to push hard, balls to the wall until the test for me.

I took AAMC8 today, and I did really poorly on physical sciences which is normally my strongest section. I did well on bio though...I think physical sciences section was sometimes harder than any of the previous tests