The 04/19/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN2013

Athens
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
38 :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've always noticed that it's the lurkers that get the insane *** 40+ scores lol

Congrats everyone

Yeah I agree.. 13 - 15 involves some luck

And mterp45, did you walk outta there thinking you got all the science questions right?

well, I would hate to think that 7 months of 10 hour days studying for this test came down to 50% luck.
The breakdown for me was more like 50% hard work which emcompasses knowledge, 30% repetition and scrupulousness down to a science through practice, 15% good test day, thus getting passages that enable me to exploit my strentghs and 5% luck.

So are you saying you would get 15/15 80% of the time?

To me, the whole thing felt like a Kaplan test. I can tell you that there were at least 5 question in the BS which made me uneasy, and the same could be said for the PS but overall I knew I did well. Honestly, I can't say that I got all the questions right for I simply don't know. I think there was definetly a curve. I have a feeling that the real MCATs are curved more like the Kaplans than the AAMCs, that would explain why many come out thinking they bombed it and end up doing well.

Members don't see this ad :)
mterp45 when you say that the biological sciences section felt more like a kaplan than an aamc.. does that apply to the organic questiosn kaplan gives. I ask because I feel that kaplan organic questions are exponentially harder than those I have seen on aamc andthey have been giving me a hard time.

You don't need to ace a science section on the real thing to get a 15 I don't think, considering I had to guess on 3 questions and got a 14 on BS

a look at your profile, you got an impressive MCAT score. I'm not making any generalizations this is what I heard based on friends who took it on that day. By the way how did you score so well, any suggestions??
check out my post in the 30+ thread, and read other peoples advice too. theres no magic bullet but there are some things almost all high scorers do: take lots of practice exams, do tons of problems, EK101 verbal, etc

I took the test on 4/18 and since our test days were so close I followed the 4/19 thread as well before and after the MCAT (pretty much to see if I should have taken it the next day) and the general idea I got from everyones post test feelings was that your guys' test was a lot harder than ours (or atleast that was my recollection.. I remember that after reading your posts I was glad I took it 4/18)... but if you look at the scores now, y'all obviously got better scores so you probably got some wicked curve or something....which is awesome... good job and just be happy that the awful wait is over.

mterp45 when you say that the biological sciences section felt more like a kaplan than an aamc.. does that apply to the organic questiosn kaplan gives. I ask because I feel that kaplan organic questions are exponentially harder than those I have seen on aamc andthey have been giving me a hard time.

Well, it's hard to say, I am referring more so to the nature of the whole test in general and that feeling of discomfort that accompanies Kaplan tests. The May 10th test was said to have some extremely difficult orgo so I guess it depends on the test day.

You don't need to ace a science section on the real thing to get a 15 I don't think, considering I had to guess on 3 questions and got a 14 on BS

lol @ I got a 14 on BS.... I wonder how you did on the other sections ... mr. humble :D

retake for me also. I dunno I thought the actual test was much harder. Did really bad as compared to my practice. Got 12 on both biological science and physical for most of my practice both aamc and princeton review. Then got an 8 in physical and 9 in biological. I think I was just really nervous when I took it. O well what can you do, I'll kill my next test in August.

I scored a 34Q. PS-10, VR-11, and BS-13. I took the 4/19 test and I honestly thought that it was a really hard test, but I scored better on this actual test than any other previous practice test from Princeton Review or AAMC. I can't really explain it. Ah well, I'm just glad that the wait is over and I can stop worrying about the MCAT.

Got 27Q (10PS 7V 10BS)

Funny thing is coming out of the test I thought I did the best in verbal. I already took this test once in Sept. so don't want to take again (got 24P the 1st time)

Do you know what MD schools this would competitive with?

Have 3.69 gpa overall, 3.55 science
Have solid research, clinical experience, extracurriculars and LOR

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
well, I would hate to think that 7 months of 10 hour days studying for this test came down to 50% luck.
The breakdown for me was more like 50% hard work which emcompasses knowledge, 30% repetition and scrupulousness down to a science through practice, 15% good test day, thus getting passages that enable me to exploit my strentghs and 5% luck.

I love this... you spent 7 months, 10 hour days... 5 days a week, that's something like 1500hrs for one test. You spent 9000% more energy than I did... and who got the higher score - 40S.

I'll take my other 1484 hours and get a commercial pilot's license.

Seriously, people, time management. I don't want a doctor who needs 1500 hours to prepare for anything. In fact, I find it unlikely that I'll spend more than 1500 hours studying for all of med school.

From a long time lurker to everyone in the 4/19 club, I just wanted to thank you guys for making the wait a lil' more bearable. I got the score (12V 10P 12 B) I needed, so I'm really ridiculously excited right now!! Btw, that physical sciences was ridiculous, no? It's usually my best section. On the other two, I got exactly my average score on practice tests, but physical just destroyed me, I guess. Man, some of those questions were hard. Ah who cares, I'm finally done with that stupid test and gave my MCAT books away! :D:D:D:D

Good luck with your scores, all!

I love this... you spent 7 months, 10 hour days... 5 days a week, that's something like 1500hrs for one test. You spent 9000% more energy than I did... and who got the higher score - 40S.

Seriously, people, time management. I don't want a doctor who needs 1500 hours to prepare for anything. In fact, I find it unlikely that I'll spend more than 1500 hours studying for all of med school.

No body cares. Why would you come and belittle someone. I smell troll. Mterp has been helpful. What have you contributed? For the record, MTerp was ready in January from his posts, however, he wanted to perfect his sciences. Did you ace the sciences? If not, stfu. He was scoring in mid to high 30s, but his goal was a 45. He nailed the science but had a bad day in verbal. Well done, M-terp. His 39 is more impressive than your 40 for the fact that he aced the sciences. Go to the 30 plus forum, M-terp is the only person I've seen who aced the sciences. That is a ridiculus accomplishment. Plus, I tend not to believe all the I got a 40 but didn't really study that much. You are the same gunners who set the curve in class but say you didn't study.

No body cares. Why would you come and belittle someone. I smell troll. Mterp has been helpful. What have you contributed? For the record, MTerp was ready in January from his posts, however, he wanted to perfect his sciences. Did you ace the sciences? If not, stfu. He was scoring in mid to high 30s, but his goal was a 45. He nailed the science but had a bad day in verbal. Well done, M-terp. His 39 is more impressive than your 40 for the fact that he aced the sciences. Go to the 30 plus forum, M-terp is the only person I've seen who aced the sciences. That is a ridiculus accomplishment. Plus, I tend not to believe all the I got a 40 but didn't really study that much. You are the same gunners who set the curve in class but say you didn't study.

He's definitely a troll.
How do they feel about MCAT 44s? Hopefully they'll take into account my 3.38.

44s or 40s? Which is it buddy? Nice try.

I definitely did worse. I scored within my AAMC practice range, but practically at the very bottom (31,32,35,35,37). I would kill for 2 points in my VR section, but it definitely seems that the general trend is that people are doing worse in the VR section than normal.

As much as I want a better score, I'm gonna suck it up and move on. I didn't believe the SAT was a good indicator of how well I'd do in college, and the same applies to the MCAT with medical school... and that's something I'll tell the adcoms.

Hey bud I totally agree with you. For the verbal type section on the SAT, I couldn't do better than a 600. The average at my undergrad is just below 700. I haven't gotten anything less than an A in a non-science class though. For me, the SAT was not a good predictor of my success in reading/writing related courses. The truth is, you are never forced to read a passage in 8 minutes in the real world. You can take as much time as you want digesting an article. Secondly, America's educational system is one that values interpreting literature and prose in multiple ways. From the beginning of our elementary school years, we're always asked "what do you think the author is trying to say?" always holding the assumption that if you support your opinion, your interpretation is correct.
Considering the variance of test scores I have seen on the MCAT verbal (between many of my friends, posters here, and myself), the standard deviation for the average test taker is higher than it should be for the MCAT to be an accurate predictor of your "verbal skills." At the same time I applaud everyone who can do well on it and get a 10+.

haha thanks. Yes, 1500 hrs but it may have been a little more. Congrats on your score, a 40S/44S is great.

Considering the variance of test scores I have seen on the MCAT verbal (between many of my friends, posters here, and myself), the standard deviation for the average test taker is higher than it should be for the MCAT to be an accurate predictor of your "verbal skills." At the same time I applaud everyone who can do well on it and get a 10+.

The overall 2007 data states that the standard deviations were 2.4, 2.6, & 2.5 for the PS, VR, & BS, respectively. It is definitely the highest for VR, but just barely.

30Q- not bad, considering i got a 6 on VR the first time and 10 this time :D

I promised my friends if I got a 30, i was gonna buy 30 patron shots.
LETS DRINK:thumbup:

Got 27Q (10PS 7V 10BS)

Funny thing is coming out of the test I thought I did the best in verbal. I already took this test once in Sept. so don't want to take again (got 24P the 1st time)

Do you know what MD schools this would competitive with?

Have 3.69 gpa overall, 3.55 science
Have solid research, clinical experience, extracurriculars and LOR

Thanks!

IMHO that is not competitive at MD schools. I got a 27R with 9's across the board, and I'm retaking. I don't know which is worse, my not breaking 10's in any section, or your 7 in verbal, but either way, I just don't think it will hack it.

I hope someone else chimes in on this because I'm not an expert, just another applicant. I hope I'm wrong for your sake and mine!

So I'm hearing that this test was pretty difficult. Would u say more difficult than kaplan or about the same?

Does anyone know what the series number means on the score report, or whether there is any way to know what raw scores in the sections corresponded to the scaled scores?

Does anyone know what the series number means on the score report, or whether there is any way to know what raw scores in the sections corresponded to the scaled scores?

I'm not totally sure about the series number, but I think it refers to the version of the test that you took.

As far as raw scores go, AAMC will not release this information.

I got a 36Q, 13V 12P 11B
Sort of pissed about the bio (I was testing around a 13) but I thought bio was pretty easy so maybe it was curved harder? I agree that physics was sort of rough, but I think it made for an easier curve. Also, I kind of played around on my essay a bit stylistically, so I guess that bit me in the *** - future test takers take note.

Does anyone know how to figure out how many people took the April 19th sitting?

You are my exact score twin. 36Q and 13V 12P 11B. I too was disappointed by Bio; I usually scored 14's and 15's on the practice tests.

On a side note, I don't believe anyone on these forums when it comes to MCAT scores. I love how everyone scores 40+. How many people do you actually think do that in a testing administration? What percentage of those people do you think come on SDN and post? I think people are trolling to try and intimidate those who are about to apply (I think SDN has a large silent readership). Scaling up the whole gunner thing.

Every premed knows about SDN. Type anything about med. school and SDN will be your first link on Google. Enough people get 40s. There always 3-4 people with a 40+ who post after every administration on SDN. If you notice, many of them are "new posters". A lot of people lurk and don't post. What's hard to believe?

Well, statistically, in 2007, exactly 271.3 people scored 40 or higher, which is about the size of a Harvard class plus a Hopkins class.

Now you guys are making me feel bad for not scoring 2 points higher on verbal, or 1 point higher on each of the sciences..

Thought the test was harder than the AAMC scores but got a higher score in the end.

Test Date: 04/19/2008 Verbal Reasoning (VR): 09 Percentile Range: 53.4 - 68.2 Physical Sciences (PS): 10 Percentile Range: 67.7 - 80.3 Writing Sample (WS): S Percentile Range: 93.5 - 98.8 Biological Sciences (BS): 11 Percentile Range: 75.9 - 87.8 Total Score: 30S Percentile Range: 74.3 - 79.4 Gender:

I dont see why people are mad if they get a 30. It's very close to the average of MD matriculants.

How did you arrive at this number? Was it using a mean and S.D. calculation or something?

I'm not the other guy but a 40 in 2007 was a 99.5-99.7 percentile so .005 or .003 times the number of test takers (67828) gives 339 to 203 people who got that score or above.

I'm not the other guy but a 40 in 2007 was a 99.5-99.7 percentile so .005 or .003 times the number of test takers (67828) gives 339 to 203 people who got that score or above.

Also

Anywhere between 2,984 - 4,273 people got 35+ scores in 2007. So it's not really shocking that you see a good 5 - 10 people post 35+ scores on here after each administration.

Depending on what the actual number is, it might be enough to fill the classes of all top 20 schools twice

that's enough to fill 2 WashU classes... and you know everyone with a 40+ will be applying to WashU... damn, that's kinda depressing lol

that's enough to fill 2 WashU classes... and you know everyone with a 40+ will be applying to WashU... damn, that's kinda depressing lol

I wasn't planning on it... I find it unlikely they'll be amenable to my 3.35 GPA. Am I wrong?

so I got a 32M

12 VR
9 PS
11 BS
M WS

Do you think that the 9 in PS is that significant? My overrall score is just above average for matriculants but a 9 in PS is below average. Do individual scores really matter much? I hope this is considered fairly balanced. I also hope that the M is not given much weight. Otherwise I am pretty happy with my score.

Hey everyone, I took the test on May 10 and am waiting for my score now before I finish and send in my application. I am asking for your help/advice.

From what you know, or how your results were on this test, how did you feel the curve was for each section? This is how I felt our test was: the first three sections I felt were comparable to the AAMC practice tests. The bio however was crazy hard, everyone I know who took the test seems to agree, as do the people on the 5/10 forum.

How much could they curve that section? On the practice tests on e-mcat I scored consistently a 10-12 on all of them, but am pretty worried about the real bio, where, unlike the e-mcat practice aamc, there weren't more than 1-2 freebie questions/easier qs, the majority seemed pretty difficult/arbitrary.

So what do you think the curve could be like? Would they ever make it much better than the e-mcat practice test's curves (which are posted on their link "How is the MCAT scored")? Were you surprised by your final score because you thought you bombed, but the score was better likely because of the curve? Please give me your thoughts!

Hey everyone, I took the test on May 10 and am waiting for my score now before I finish and send in my application. I am asking for your help/advice.

From what you know, or how your results were on this test, how did you feel the curve was for each section? This is how I felt our test was: the first three sections I felt were comparable to the AAMC practice tests. The bio however was crazy hard, everyone I know who took the test seems to agree, as do the people on the 5/10 forum.

How much could they curve that section? On the practice tests on e-mcat I scored consistently a 10-12 on all of them, but am pretty worried about the real bio, where, unlike the e-mcat practice aamc, there weren't more than 1-2 freebie questions/easier qs, the majority seemed pretty difficult/arbitrary.

So what do you think the curve could be like? Would they ever make it much better than the e-mcat practice test's curves (which are posted on their link "How is the MCAT scored")? Were you surprised by your final score because you thought you bombed, but the score was better likely because of the curve? Please give me your thoughts!

I think that they do make the curves much better than the AAMC practice test scores sometimes.

PS was hard for me on my exam, but I got a 10, so I'm sure it was curved better than the AAMC tests.

so I got a 32M

12 VR
9 PS
11 BS
M WS

Do you think that the 9 in PS is that significant? My overrall score is just above average for matriculants but a 9 in PS is below average. Do individual scores really matter much? I hope this is considered fairly balanced. I also hope that the M is not given much weight. Otherwise I am pretty happy with my score.

Hi rockydoc -- I too am unbalanced (more than you!). I'm just hoping some schools think verbal skills are more important than physics!

Last edited:
Hi rockydoc -- I too am unbalanced (more than you!):

13 VR
8 PS
11 BS
T WS

I'm just hoping some schools think verbal skills are more important than physics! I should have done better on the PS (really messed up on the timing), but like you, I'm okay with the overall score.

Yeah, I've heard that schools think verbal is more important than physics but Im not sure if that holds true when our physics scores are below average. I thought I was the only wierd one who scored highest in VR and lowest in PS. For most people it seems to be the other way around. Everyone else seems to rock the science sections and then do average or worse on VR. Does anyone know if these are competitive even with sub-par PS scores?

I too have an unbalanced score:
13p
9v
13b

=35 (94-96 %)

So I did some research with my advisor and some adcoms. Results:
Your overall percentile will still carry you so long as your lower scores are not below national averages. Even then you will still be competitive for the schools with said average. However, if it is directly b/w you and another app. the more balanced wins. Also, there is a ~.556 correlation for PS and USMLE pass, ~.488 correlation for BS and USMLE pass and ~.389 for VR and USMLE pass. Medical school will think about this when think about who to pick. But ultimately do not forget that you overall score is curved with everyone and is still a good indicator of how you did versus everyone so your overall score will still get you into the door. (as long as your app. is early)