The 07/18/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supafield

Dream Big
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unless I'm inept at finding threads it looks like there is no threads for this date or most of the July ones...

So good luck to all of you writing, this is my second go of it... and I want to do really well.... and am happy to offer advice about the whole process from my first time around.... feel free to ask

take care

Members don't see this ad.

Yay!

I can't believe July 18 is almost here. It's my second try, too. I took the test in 2003 but life kind of got in the way of applying to med school. I'm definitely applying this cycle (my app is mostly done, actually!). My main concern is that my score will be significantly lower than the 2003 score since I've been out of school for a while.

Yay!

I can't believe July 18 is almost here. It's my second try, too. I took the test in 2003 but life kind of got in the way of applying to med school. I'm definitely applying this cycle (my app is mostly done, actually!). My main concern is that my score will be significantly lower than the 2003 score since I've been out of school for a while.

It's approaching kinda quick eh.... aw I'm sure if you go through it vigilantly you'll pull it off again....

I just gotta bring up that bio score....! Strict cut-offs for ontario med schools to get interviews.... so my 31 R with a 9 in bio is virtually useless lol.... a crying shame....

I'll just make sure to get 11's across the board this time!! lol good luck

A responsible thread starter wouldn't let his MCAT club fall to the 7th pages lol...

BUMP!

Are there no July 18th'ers out there?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey supafield

I am writing on July 18th and I'm from Ontario as well!

we do need more people in here.

::starting to freak out::

lol needed to a quick study restructuring... after I lost a few days in may (one of which was due to a neck injury) do you know how big of an MCAT nerd you need to be to get a studying injury... I woke up and was in agony lol... I now have a new tentative schedule from today until july 18th lol...

Yep, count me in for july 18th also. It's going to be my second time. I took the may 27th, haven't gotten my score yet but am convinced I didn't hit the 30 mark due to my performance on the the PS section so am busting my last bubbles for the july 18th and this time I willl smack that PS section in the nipples. :smuggrin:

Last edited:
haha there we go, just needed a bump

you can be surprised with how well you do after feeling crappy...

Around these boards I've mentioned many times how bad I felt after bio the first time... and ended up with a 9.... if only my schools didn't have a 11 BS cutoff this year haha!

Around these boards I've mentioned many times how bad I felt after bio the first time... and ended up with a 9.... if only my schools didn't have a 11 BS cutoff this year haha!

Yeah thanks. but the only surprise am expecting is for my BS and VR scores to be even lower than anticipated. At least when I see that my horrid score, I will be ready for a new and better fight two weeks later. I am praying that the test on the 18th ends up being just like the AAMCs so I can go to work.

Yeah thanks. but the only surprise am expecting is for my BS and VR scores to be even lower than anticipated. At least when I see that my horrid score, I will be ready for a new and better fight two weeks later. I am praying that the test on the 18th ends up being just like the AAMCs so I can go to work.

haha I'm praying too.... what I would give for a BS heavy in physiology and endocrine lol....

Hey

Is the cutoff really at 11 BS this year? what school is this if you dont mind me asking? (Queens??)

thanks,

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone applying this cycle and taking the MCAT on July 18th? I heard it's possible even with the rolling admissions. Also, how is everyone studying for the July 18th test. Please share your schedules. I lost like 2 weeks of studying after the May 23rd test because I was so bummed out after taking it and voiding my scores. Now I am back in the mode and want to start studying! What I have planned is to complete the material by end of next week and then go over couple of practice tests that I took earlier. After that I'm thinking about taking some practice tests/review every other day until the day of the test. I don't know how this will work but we will find out :laugh:. So any suggestions or how you all are studying will help. Also, what other companies are out there that have practice CBT tests besides gold standard?

Thanks!

I've gone roughly from the beginning of may and will have read by about the last week of june..

TPR -physical sci
TPR - bio sci
EK - orgo....

will have completed about 60% of the TPR science work book
5 EK verbal 101 tests and a bunch of random verbal from the TPR workbook

I plan to have about 25 days left after getting through the material which will be given to
- finishing tpr science workbook.
- doing the bio 1001 from ek... at least the non-physiology stuff..
- doing 50-75% of EK 1001 orgo...
- 5 AAMCS (4,5,7,8,10) took two years ago and distinctly remember 9 and 6 from some reason... 4,5,10 will be new... 7 and 8 I took earlier on in my first time round...
- a day or two working on Writing samples... taking a prompt and making a quick outline that I would make on test day.
- 1 day to review aamc test mistakes and several days to re study all the outlines I've made as well as well as my weak points

I'm going to be finished with all content review by 6/26. After that, AAMCs, practice passages, review. That gives me about 20 somewhat days to review and do practice exams. Cutting it kinda close, but it should work out as long as I follow the schedule I made. :D

Material I'm Using / Going to Use
All EK (books + 1001) + Nova Physics
TPR online stuff (passages / practice tests)

I started studying may 5th. First couple weeks I finished TPR biology along with all the assigned practice passages. Next week finished the orgo with all the practice passages.

I did do a little practice in Verbal until this time.

Took a practice AAMC 3R on 25th of May..scored PS 10, VR 8, BS 11.
(finished the PS and BS sections 25 minutes early each...in retrospect, I should have taken my time, found really small silly mistakes while comparing answers)

Since then I've been doing one chapter in physics and one chapter general chemistry every day, along with practice passages(TPR)...should be done with whole PS section by this weekend.

I'll probably try and do AAMC 4R this coming Sunday.

I have also started practicing verbal from EK 101..and almost done with TPR verbal practice book.

still need to hit the writing section..I understand the T-A-S structure in detail...just need to practice several prompts on my own.

so I should be done content reviewing by June 8th the latest. After that its reviewing again and more practice.

I am taking the MCAT (again) on July 18th as well. I have been studying for the past three weeks or so.

I spoke with the admissions director at the school I am applying Early Decision to and she said that as long as I took the test by July 18th and already have the rest of my application materials in, then everything will still be early. I imagine it would be the same for everyone else applying, too. I am wading my way through Nova's MCAT Physics Book and EK VR book right now. So much fun! :rolleyes:

Good job everyone. All of you guys have a good studying plan going on. Thanks Milk07, I don't feel like I am the only one taking the MCAT's and applying at the same time.

Let's keep each other motivated! We can do this!!!

:)

Hi I am taking MCAT on July 18th as well. I am getting nervous as the days are passing by. I will be done with the contents by not this saturday but the next saturday along with the TPR workbook. And then I plan to redo TPR workbook along with Full lenth exams from AMC, Kaplan and TPR.
Do you guys think going through the workbook is a realistic plan?

Hi I am taking MCAT on July 18th as well. I am getting nervous as the days are passing by. I will be done with the contents by not this saturday but the next saturday along with the TPR workbook. And then I plan to redo TPR workbook along with Full lenth exams from AMC, Kaplan and TPR.

redoing it? I don't see why not mind you I mark mine so much the first time through it wouldn't help me lol

I'm planning on redoing the princeton workbook as well!

Should I practice some kaplan tests after the AAMC? I hear kaplan verbal is no where similar to whats on the actual test...extra practice should be good for BS and PS irregardless

I'm planning on redoing the princeton workbook as well!

Should I practice some kaplan tests after the AAMC? I hear kaplan verbal is no where similar to whats on the actual test...extra practice should be good for BS and PS irregardless

you know my brother took it last year. He practiced with Kaplan and AAMC stuff and said kaplan was actually closer to the real test in terms of difficulty level. However, I don't really know if it was just due to chance, so I will say practice Kaplan as well.

you know my brother took it last year. He practiced with Kaplan and AAMC stuff and said kaplan was actually closer to the real test in terms of difficulty level. However, I don't really know if it was just due to chance, so I will say practice Kaplan as well.

There is a difference between difficulty and representative difficulty....
The Kaplan stuff may be just as difficult but not in a way that would help you for the AAMC....

Most test prep companies that go for difficult test obscure knowledge and make very abstract connections in order for you to get the question right...
The AAMC in an attempt to make things difficult will give you relative simple concepts in poorly written and convoluted passages that mask the fact that they're basic science and then test you're ability to comprehend and figure out what they're asking...

this is just what I've gathered

Bump!

I'm applying this cycle too. Need to ask my physics prof for a LOR tomorrow.. wish me luck. :scared:

As for MCAT, finished EK 1001Qs for bio today! Yay... I get ridiculously happy about finishing one of these suckers. Still need to do content review for chem & a little bit for physics (machine stuff). Hope to start taking AAMC tests by 6/18. Guess I'm a little less ambitious than some of you, as those are the only practice tests I'll be focusing on. Took 2 TPR tests a while back, while in prep class, and they just seemed written strangely.

How's everyone doing on AMCAS? I don't know whether I should take time out to do this, or just focus on MCAT til July.

ahh!
just got my scores back from 5/10 and need to retake on july 18th...back to hibernation =(
and i am also applying this cycle

when do everyone else plan to submit their amcas by?
does anyone how schools deal with a 2nd mcat score if you submit before the score has come out?

gluck to everyone! we can do this =)

Bump!

I'm applying this cycle too. Need to ask my physics prof for a LOR tomorrow.. wish me luck. :scared:

As for MCAT, finished EK 1001Qs for bio today! Yay... I get ridiculously happy about finishing one of these suckers. Still need to do content review for chem & a little bit for physics (machine stuff). Hope to start taking AAMC tests by 6/18. Guess I'm a little less ambitious than some of you, as those are the only practice tests I'll be focusing on. Took 2 TPR tests a while back, while in prep class, and they just seemed written strangely.

How's everyone doing on AMCAS? I don't know whether I should take time out to do this, or just focus on MCAT til July.

I'm only doing about 5-6 aamc's... not too worry.... as much as practice tests help you review, a big purpose is to make sure you get a test routine down that you can follow on MCAT day..... doing the AAMC's should be enough to allow you that...

Getting that routine down is def. key. I plan on doing an AAmC every Friday and try to imitate the way the real MCAT is going to be ie. wake up at same time and stuff.

yah... good call... I have had a up at 7 a.m. schedule going since the start of june and in july that becomes 6 a.m.. fun stuff...

the first time around i didn't sleep too well the night before.... and it's not I ever felt tired during the actual exam... (the full day paper version too) however a lot of that was adrenaline based.... haha and one has to wonder even if the mind feels wide awake if it's going at full speed...

I suppose I should say epinephrine based haha

Heh. I get up that early for work, although I will admit that my brain is on auto-pilot through all of my fun morning meetings. I'm going to take some time off the few days before the test so that I'll be more relaxed. The issue I'm having right now is that I'm tired of studying. Study study study. I pick up my Kaplan book and immediately fall asleep. I'm awake enough to watch mindless TV, apparently, but put one of those books in my field of vision and I'm out! Caffeine no longer seems to help...

Well, back to the endocrine system. Zzzzzzzz.........

Heh. I get up that early for work, although I will admit that my brain is on auto-pilot through all of my fun morning meetings. I'm going to take some time off the few days before the test so that I'll be more relaxed. The issue I'm having right now is that I'm tired of studying. Study study study. I pick up my Kaplan book and immediately fall asleep. I'm awake enough to watch mindless TV, apparently, but put one of those books in my field of vision and I'm out! Caffeine no longer seems to help...

Well, back to the endocrine system. Zzzzzzzz.........

I'm generally as laid back as they come.... and was burning out after so many days.... I decided to ease up for 2 days and veg, and get some errands done on the back of my mind.... and have a wedding this weekend... I hope to come back monday revitalized and ready to kick it into high gear till the 18th... (minus my birthday July 1st)

resting and having some "you time" is something we just need to do. and i dunno, but i'm really not that stressed yet, though i feel it coming. haha. im usually a relaxed person so i hope that plays to my advantage on the real thing.

haha, tell me about burning up...this past weekend, I couldn't for the life of me look at another MCAT book. I just completely lost my motivation to study..combined with sudden change in weather, it proved disastrous.

I'm glad I took couple days off though..came back with full energy Monday.
How long do you guys study for, on average per day?

I might be studying a bit too much :confused: haha, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I would say usually, I put in around 8 hours every day (keep in mind I started studying May 10th though)

I study over the span of 8-10 hours a day haha but definitely not studying the whole time... I think an average day will be 4-6 hours or so.... some physics and chem chapters a lot quicker....

well, i guess it depends on how strong your background is in those subjects. if you have a strong background and the content review will be just a "review" and you will be blazing through the material, you should be fine. We still have about 30 somewhat days left and if you finish your content review within the next two weeks, you still have a little more than 3 weeks to do practice tests, not counting the week of the 18th.

Previous MCAT score (August 2007): 9PS-10V-Q WS-9B == 28Q (Ugh)

AAMC 3 (free one; first FL since 8/07): 9PS-13V-? WS-10B == 32_ (Woohoo!)

I'm using EK and slowly chugging my way through the study schedule. Instead of using the 1001 books, I'm "borrowing" my friend's online Kaplan access and doing a ton of problems there. Physics is my big weak spot so I'm going to spend more time on that and I'm pretty sure my next Bio section will be a little better than 10.

Good luck to everyone!

Previous MCAT score (August 2007): 9PS-10V-Q WS-9B == 28Q (Ugh)

AAMC 3 (free one; first FL since 8/07): 9PS-13V-? WS-10B == 32_ (Woohoo!)

I'm using EK and slowly chugging my way through the study schedule. Instead of using the 1001 books, I'm "borrowing" my friend's online Kaplan access and doing a ton of problems there. Physics is my big weak spot so I'm going to spend more time on that and I'm pretty sure my next Bio section will be a little better than 10.

Good luck to everyone!

13 in Verbal, that is really impressive! I wish I was capable of that

13 in Verbal, that is really impressive! I wish I was capable of that

It was a bit of a surprise but I'm pretty happy about it. Now I just need to figure out how the heck I'm going to turn PS into something above a 10. The EK 30 minute exams are helpful but I find that I'm just not doing that well.

Does anyone have any hints/tips/suggestions/incantations for working on improving PS beyond a 9? I feel like I'm spinning my wheels at this point.

It was a bit of a surprise but I'm pretty happy about it. Now I just need to figure out how the heck I'm going to turn PS into something above a 10. The EK 30 minute exams are helpful but I find that I'm just not doing that well.

Does anyone have any hints/tips/suggestions/incantations for working on improving PS beyond a 9? I feel like I'm spinning my wheels at this point.

I would say I'm okay with PS..got 10 on 3R without studying anything. That being said, my perspective of PS is that you really gotta know the basics.
Although memorization helps, that not till a later stage, just focus on really basic stuff.
Pick up an old book, even high school phys/chem and see if that helps.

1 month left!

I have Chapter 9-11 left in BS... and then am all practice and review and mocks..... I also purchased a Genetics workbook recommended on the forums to take an extra look at some stuff that seems to be quite emphasized now a days....

Also to my delight, the TPR bio text has included this year an appendix chapter that is common lab techniques, recomb, PCR, Blotting.... I'm going to take a good look at this to get comfortable... first time I wrote the MCAT I had about 14 days after my course was over this time I'm happy to have 25 or so.... more time to practice/indentify weaknesses and correct them

1 month left!

I have Chapter 9-11 left in BS... and then am all practice and review and mocks..... I also purchased a Genetics workbook recommended on the forums to take an extra look at some stuff that seems to be quite emphasized now a days....

Also to my delight, the TPR bio text has included this year an appendix chapter that is common lab techniques, recomb, PCR, Blotting.... I'm going to take a good look at this to get comfortable... first time I wrote the MCAT I had about 14 days after my course was over this time I'm happy to have 25 or so.... more time to practice/indentify weaknesses and correct them

What genetics workbook did you get? I have been looking for one. Just watch- our test will have absolutely no genetics on it! Haaha...at least we'll be prepared for it if it is on there! I have been doing the EK Mini MCATs and then working on places where I am having trouble.

What genetics workbook did you get? I have been looking for one. Just watch- our test will have absolutely no genetics on it! Haaha...at least we'll be prepared for it if it is on there! I have been doing the EK Mini MCATs and then working on places where I am having trouble.

Primer in Genetic Analysis by Thompson Jr. it's on the web used for under $20 bucks.... but living in Canada and wanting it quick I had to pay around 50 lol....

It is a problem based book and apparently pretty good... I'm just using it for a few things..... pedigrees, mendelian stuff.... quick chapters... so I hope to sqeeze 5 or 6 of them in between now and the end....

lol and as you were saying.... watch us have no genetics... I would be absolutely fine with that, my bio strength definitely rests in physiology... but I've learned not to count on it being there in any decent proportion... I find it kind of ridiculous for how hard you have to study all of physiology and endocrine not because it is tough but very detailed, and you're now looking at 1 or 2 passages on it... I guess the same can be said for orgo too... aww well... I'll stop complaining and keep preparing!

is everyone done or almost done with their content review and moving onto practice tests and such?

btw. this thread is extremely dead. makes me wonder how many people are actually taking the mcat on 7/18

Hi guys

how many practice exams r u guys planning to take before the real deal.

alsoooooooo any advise how to improve my verbal score as well.. i need ur help in that. do u guys do all 7 passages, or do u guys skip the hardest one and give urself more time on the rest, and how much time to u give urself on each passage(reading the passage+answering questions)...WHATS WORKING FOR YOU???,,, any advise would be veryyyy much appreciateddd. my BIOLOgy seems very strong. Physics okay--on the good side tho.. verbal not so good as of now..:scared:

my plan as of now is to take all the AAMCs but i might do some TPR ones. any input?

i wouldn't skip around with the passages because the way you practice is the way you're going to do it on the real thing. in terms of strategy, look on the 30+ forum and see what people in that past have done and try and mold your own strategy from that. or just read the EK verbal book and go from there.

is everyone done or almost done with their content review and moving onto practice tests and such?

btw. this thread is extremely dead. makes me wonder how many people are actually taking the mcat on 7/18

Yeah, I know. Are ppl on vacation, or what? ;) I'm 2 chapters away from being done with content review-- need to do acids/bases, & electrochemistry. There's a little bit of momentum stuff I skipped in physics too, but that's just a section of a chapter. Anyway, I'm planning on taking my first AAMC test this Saturday. How 'bout you?

I wonder which one I should take.. supposedly the later ones are more similar to the real deal?

Edit: by the way, I think the TPR tests suck, but that's jmo. They just seem so "off", everything from length, to wording, etc.

Hi everyone, I'm on this boat too.. Unfortunately I'm only about halfway done in my content review, following EK's home study schedule and working full time :|