The 07/18/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supafield

Dream Big
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unless I'm inept at finding threads it looks like there is no threads for this date or most of the July ones...

So good luck to all of you writing, this is my second go of it... and I want to do really well.... and am happy to offer advice about the whole process from my first time around.... feel free to ask

take care

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone explain to me why the marks were unsatisfactory for most ppl who have written on July 18? I also felt unhappy when I got my scores, and felt that I should have done better. I thought the test was straightforward for the most part. Why were the marks so low...

Can someone explain to me why the marks were unsatisfactory for most ppl who have written on July 18? I also felt unhappy when I got my scores, and felt that I should have done better. I thought the test was straightforward for the most part. Why were the marks so low...

I think, for the most part, a lot of us got a score that was nowhere near our practice test scores. Especially considering how GOOD we felt about particular sections after the test. There's just such a big discrepancy between how some of us felt after taking the test and the scores we received....

Members don't see this ad :)
Why thought? Is it because the test was too easy, there were too many ppl who did well, and so the curve was harsh (ie. 6 wrong in verbal to get a 10 as oppose to the usual 9-10 wrong)?

Or is it because there were concepts in the passages that we were unfamiliar with?

Is it because the test was too easy, there were too many ppl who did well, and so the curve was harsh

I am pretty sure this was the case, not the latter; most, including myself, felt the subject matter was pretty straightforward.

I am pretty sure this was the case, not the latter; most, including myself, felt the subject matter was pretty straightforward.

The subject matter was definitely straightforward. I felt the 7/18 exam could have easily been AAMC #11. I don't understand why scores were all over the map. To score 2-3 points outside of your practice range score is common, but to score 10 points outside your range is pretty rare and yet, it happened to a lot of people.

The subject matter was definitely straightforward. I felt the 7/18 exam could have easily been AAMC #11. I don't understand why scores were all over the map. To score 2-3 points outside of your practice range score is common, but to score 10 points outside your range is pretty rare and yet, it happened to a lot of people.

Hey, Revilla, did you request a rescore?? I did, but haven't gotten any response yet....

Hey, Revilla, did you request a rescore?? I did, but haven't gotten any response yet....

I haven't yet. I was nervous of getting a lower score somehow (though I don't know how that would be possible, but the MCAT already shocked me once). I have this weekend left to decide. Good luck to you! Let us know when you hear.

make sure yall post your results of your regrades..id be curious to see if they found alot of mistakes and ended up regrading everyones verbal

I wouldn't be too hopeful about a regrade, especially since the entire test is automated and I think it's pretty safe to say you didn't receive someone else's score.

It's fine to put in a regrade request, but I would focus on what you're going to do to fix the senario. If you had to repeat the test a couple times, something's not going quite right. Maybe take a review class? Focus on weak areas? Ask a friend to help explain concepts that didn't quite stick?

I'm not being a downer, you gave it your best shot, and it didn't go quite as well as you hoped...things happen. Now, you can either dwell on the outcome, or work to make the situation better.

I wouldn't be too hopeful about a regrade, especially since the entire test is automated and I think it's pretty safe to say you didn't receive someone else's score.

It's fine to put in a regrade request, but I would focus on what you're going to do to fix the senario. If you had to repeat the test a couple times, something's not going quite right. Maybe take a review class? Focus on weak areas? Ask a friend to help explain concepts that didn't quite stick?

I'm not being a downer, you gave it your best shot, and it didn't go quite as well as you hoped...things happen. Now, you can either dwell on the outcome, or work to make the situation better.

I agree with you, and I think most of us realize this fact! However, I NEVER had issues with the verbal part EVER until this test, and I very well know that this was probably a more difficult/higher curve test, but yet I can't seem to wrap my head around this.....It just makes NO sense to me :( Also, I don't think people should say that this was the best I (or others who scored poorly) can do on this test, there is obviously room for improvement, and whatever the underlying issue that led to the low score was (didn't prepare enough, test anxiety, etc) IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO BETTER!!! Especially since I would NEVER have taken the test if I hadn't been scoring in the high 20's low 30's on practices consistantly!

That being said, I am thinking about retaking in Jan. (I am on hold for grades at my top choice school and I will be notified of a decision in January) and hope to score MUCH higher. I made a huge mistake because I was not fully prepared for the test this summer. The first time I was extremely sick (have just been diagnosed with a chronic illness and had my first flare-up in the weeks surrounding the test) and thought well, my practices were above the average for all DO schools and okay for my in-state MD, so I took the test anyway.....and was sick the entire test, couldn;t concentrate, should ahve ahd it voided, but I thought I might as well get it scored, what a waste of money to void! When I scheduled a retake, I didn't spend a significant amount of time studying the second time around because I thought I would do better just because my circumstances were better, bad reasoning!

SO the point? Don't make the same mistakes I did! I underestimated this test and I will NOT do it again!

p.s: Some incouragement: A friend of mine scored a 19 the first time they tested and studied for three months and his second score: 32!!!!

I've not received my scores (since I've taken it on Aug 22), and I am aware this may be a bit nit-picky, but just out of curiosity: how many of you took the practice exams under circumstances similar to that of the actual testing environment?

A few weeks before the actual test, I deliberately took my last AAMC practice exams in crowded computer labs (aided by a hefty head-set that was my attempt at simulating the noise-cancellation headset), where I was sure to expect distractions. I recall strongly that my first exam took a bit of a dip (-3 points from previous exams), as I was distracted by my frustration about noises in the background. Then, my scores leveled out (+1), as I grew used to the background interruptions, ie: people flirting in computer labs, speaking aloud in different languages, at some instances, people patting me on the back to say hi, etc.

I am wondering if these "distractive conditions" strongly contributed to some of you receiving worse scores on your actual exams. If so, it may help you to take a few exams under strenuous circumstances.

I've not received my scores (since I've taken it on Aug 22), and I am aware this may be a bit nit-picky, but just out of curiosity: how many of you took the practice exams under circumstances similar to that of the actual testing environment?

A few weeks before the actual test, I deliberately took my last AAMC practice exams in crowded computer labs (aided by a hefty head-set that was my attempt at simulating the noise-cancellation headset), where I was sure to expect distractions. I recall strongly that my first exam took a bit of a dip (-3 points from previous exams), as I was distracted by my frustration about noises in the background. Then, my scores leveled out (+1), as I grew used to the background interruptions, ie: people flirting in computer labs, speaking aloud in different languages, at some instances, people patting me on the back to say hi, etc.

I am wondering if these "distractive conditions" strongly contributed to some of you receiving worse scores on your actual exams. If so, it may help you to take a few exams under strenuous circumstances.

Thanks for the tip! I took a couple of them in computer centers, but they were in the quiet area of the library!!
That definitely may have contributed!

Well I received the results of my rescore:

exactly the same! I'm just glad it didn't go down..... Thought you all would like to know!

I received re-score results---exactly the same. Darn.

They stated that they confirm the correctness of the answer key, compare your responses, determine the number of correct and incorrect responses, apply the conversion of the number of your correct responses to the scaled score.

Long time creeper here. Just thought I'd repay the favor.

Received my writing sample regrade today which was sent out on August 24th. Increased from O to Q. In terms of applying to Canadian medical institutes, this score-increase adds two more schools to my prospects.
I'm aware asking for a regrade is dubious since your score could go up or down, so I thought my experience, along with the others SDN has collated, will help others decide whether asking for this regrade is indeed to their benefit.

Happy huntings.
Lev.