The 08/07/2008 MCAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh L.Ac.

MSA/LAc & BSN/RN --> AA-S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took it for the first time on June 13th and I felt they should have bought me dinner first. Needless to say, I registered for a retake. While at first I was going to take it on July 10th, I moved for several reasons, including the realization that my first scores might not be back in time

So August it is. I on reading two books on ketogenic diets [to get totally ripped this summer] this week then start my content review next week. While it would probably be futile to use specific deficiencies from my first test to prep for the second, I will be going over areas that I had problems with, starting with a complete review of physics.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

I just ordered the ExamKrackers 101 Verbal Passages (2nd Edition) book online. I should get it pretty soon. I really want to get a head start on it.

January is not that far away... :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know how important the writing sample is?

I got a 36M, 12 on each section.

Justin

You did really well and your score is in each section is perfectly balanced. I don't think you should worry too much about the writing sample. Also, if you look at the "Should I retake?" thread, it says not to retake if you got an M with a total score of 30 or better.

I believe the schools automatically get them. At first, I wasn't sure either, but to check, I went logged on my Boston University application, and saw that my most recent MCATs were posted. So I'm guessing all the schools have them, even if you can't tell from the applications.

thanks dr. kate. Maybe we'll bump into each other if we get interviews at Boston!

This is my first time posting here, but I've been reading this thread since the MCAT, and had a question for all of you.

Average Kaplan Practice Test (inc diagnostic):
PS: 11.13
VR: 10.67
BS: 12.25
Total: 34.05

Average AAMC Practice Test (took these closer to the end):
PS: 12.2
VR: 13.2
BS: 13.2
Total: 38.6

Average Practice Tests Combined:
PS: 11.54
VR: 11.62
BS: 12.62
Total:35.78

August 2006 MCAT:
PS: 11
VR: 08
BS: 11
W: P
Total: 30P (My practice tests averaged around 30/31 with PS lower than VR, so both scores were surprising)

Predicted Score:
I knew this didn't feel like my best test on the science sections, especially BS since I usually ended up with 20min at the end, but only ended up with 4min on the real thing...but I thought I'd get 34/35.

Actual Score:
PS: 10-->lower than my diagnostic :(
VR: 12
BS: 11
W: R
Total: 33R

But I have a question for you guys. I've applied for this cycle, but haven't submitted any secondaries. I go to JHU and my Science GPA is only a 3.2, and overall is 3.35---both which are really low, and below average for med schools. From my practice scores, I expected to score high, and I really needed a high score (35/36+, but was willing to apply with a 34). I'm talking with my advisor soon, but I was wondering what you all thought about withdrawing my application and retaking in January. Thanks!

Since you've already submitted AMCAS, you do know that you would be considered a reapplicant, even if you didnt turn in the secondaries, right? So if you have the money, I would say just finish the application process, because you honestly never know. If, however, you need to closely watch your finances and really cant afford to apply this year without receiving an acceptance, then I would take a year off to focus solely on improving your GPA. Your MCAT is great, do NOT retake it. There is absolutely NO guarantee that you would do better, even if you're scoring higher on your practice exams, and it would look absolutely terrible if your score went down in any way. You have a 10 or higher on all sections. You're fine. If you want to focus on improving something, focus on that GPA.

Last edited:
so there were wayyyy more people that posted while we were waiting for scores...howd everyone else do?

ARGH!

I should be grateful because I thought I got a 21 no joke because I felt so unsure about my score coming out of the test, but I am in a bit of a dilemma. I've already applied to schools but my scores are strange.

FIRST MCAT:

28Q (I was averaging a 27-28 so expected)
10: V
8: P
10: B
Q: W

SECOND MCAT:

29 P (I was averaging 33-34 so not expected)

7: V (I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENEDDDD!!!)
10: P
12: B

Do some schools look at the top? Or the most recent? Or combined?
So scared.

Some schools take the most recent score, some take the top score in each section, and then some other schools average your MCAT scores (I believe Jefferson is one that does this). You need to check with each individual school in order to find out what their policies are regarding this.

Whether or not you retake -- personally, I would probably retake, especially since your average practice MCAT scores were 4-5 points higher. It's obviously too late for this application cycle though, so just ride this cycle out and see what happens. A 29 is not too terrible of a score, especially if you have a solid GPA. But maybe plan on retaking early next year if you fail to get interviews or signs are pointing to this cycle not working out.

So I finally built up the courage to check my score. Here's how it went:

Average TPR Practice Test
PS: 7
VR: 7.5
BS: 9
Total: 23.5

Average AAMC Practice Test (3, 4R, 8, 9, 10)
PS: 10.8
VR: 9.2
BS: 10.2
Total: 30.2

August 2007 MCAT:
PS: 9
VR: 9
Total: 27P

Predicted Score:
PS: 8
VR: 8
BS: 7 (I thought I absolutely bombed this section)

Actual Score:
VR: 10
BS: 10 (!!!)
Total = 29O

I'm soooo relieved and thrilled. I never have to take this test again!! Completely happy with a 29. I was absolutely terrified that I was gonna do worse on the re-take but it ended up being 2 points better.

Thanks to everyone who was with me along the way, especially J DUB. You are definitely an inspiration, my friend.

:)

So I finally built up the courage to check my score. Here's how it went:

Average TPR Practice Test
PS: 7
VR: 7.5
Total: 23.5

Average AAMC Practice Test (3, 4R, 8, 9, 10)
PS: 10.8
VR: 9.2
BS: 10.2
Total: 30.2

August 2007 MCAT:
VR: 9
Total: 27P

Predicted Score:
PS: 8
VR: 8
BS: 7 (I thought I absolutely bombed this section)

Actual Score:
VR: 10
BS: 10 (!!!)
Total = 29O

I'm soooo relieved and thrilled. I never have to take this test again!! Completely happy with a 29. I was absolutely terrified that I was gonna do worse on the re-take but it ended up being 2 points better.

Thanks to everyone who was with me along the way, especially J DUB. You are definitely an inspiration, my friend.

:)

Good job!! Congrats!!!

Hopefully, I can get there one day!

Hey congratulations cornpops!

I was rooting for you to do well. I've been following some of the frequent posters, and I hope your score serves you well in your applications. Good Luck!

so took the test two days before you guys and I went to look over my application on AMCAS and noticed above my MCAT scores it says:

MCAT TEST SCORES
(NR) Not Released * Non-Standardized Condition (C) Computer-Based

What is the "* Non-Standardized Condition " for? Anyone have any idea? Should I call AAMC? I did not request any accommodations! Thanks!

so took the test two days before you guys and I went to look over my application on AMCAS and noticed above my MCAT scores it says:

MCAT TEST SCORES

What is the "* Non-Standardized Condition " for? Anyone have any idea? Should I call AAMC? I did not request any accommodations! Thanks!

Sounds like something happened during the test.

I would call the AAMC and see what it is all about.

MCAT TEST SCORES

This is the first time I am posting. I took the test on August 15th. On my amcas it says the same thing so I called them today. I was told by the amcas representative that she doesnt see anything like that on my application. So I do not know what to do?

Thought I would revive this thread a bit. I know it's only been a week since we got our scores, but when should we expect to start receiving interview invites from schools? My secondaries were all sent before the end of August so theoretically, my files should all be complete by now and under review. Does anyone have an idea how long this process typically takes? When should I start to panic if I haven't received interviews yet?

Thought I would revive this thread a bit. I know it's only been a week since we got our scores, but when should we expect to start receiving interview invites from schools? My secondaries were all sent before the end of August so theoretically, my files should all be complete by now and under review. Does anyone have an idea how long this process typically takes? When should I start to panic if I haven't received interviews yet?

You will have to check the status pages of each school and get e-mails from each school saying that your application is complete. That could take anywhere from 1-2 days (unlikely) to 2-3 weeks (more likely). Until your application is marked as complete, its not even put in line for review. After you are marked complete then it could still be anywhere from 1 week to many months before you hear something.

Hey, so has anyone who took the 8/7 exam, is applying this cycle, and has submitted their secondaries already, started to receive interview invites yet? I just got one from SUNY-Upstate last night (my first, whoohoo!).