The 2011-2012 "Let's Get Fit before OMM Class" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not even going to pretend like I just read through all these posts....but I will say, never would I ever discourage you from taking care of your body and being healthy. However, if your program is anything like mine, we did maybe 2 or 3 labs where we had to take off ours shirts. Any other lab is pretty minimal with exposure. You do get the waistline poked and prodded a lot with clothes on with you're doing pelvic/sacrum stuff, so that would be the only other time I would say people feel concerned about physical appearance.

Members don't see this ad.

ah, the thread title is much more of a joke. But no really, I thought a few people could benefit from a fitness/nutritional discussion (myself included) :)

I think Wily verbalized what we were all thinking, pretty much spot on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone who wants to loose body fat should start off by controlling their insulin. Do some research. When should you spike your insulin? When do you want to keep it low? You can easily get into better shape just by understanding this. The type of exercise you do is going to be based on your physique goals and interests. IMO, Nutrition is 95% of the equation when trying to get lean.

Everyone who wants to loose body fat should start off by controlling their insulin. Do some research. When should you spike your insulin? When do you want to keep it low? You can easily get into better shape just by understanding this. The type of exercise you do is going to be based on your physique goals and interests. IMO, Nutrition is 95% of the equation when trying to get lean.

I demand links :thumbup:

I do understand that nutrition plays a much larger role than exercising, and thus my biggest problem: what to buy/eat.

I go to the store and come back with vegetables, lean meats, etc. But what the hell do I make? How much portions is ideal, and how many times can I eat spinach salad before I throw up? Some of you more in touch with your nutrition throw up some sample menus for me. Show me what you eat on a daily basis.

I bake chicken on Sundays for the entire week with some balsamic vinegar and seasonings. Then steam some brown rice, broccoli, and voila!

Or those delicious snack wraps from McDonald's. Mmmmmmmmm. (no sauce though!)

I did an uphill fast walk with my gf tonight on the treadmill at the gym at 15 degrees for 45 minutes. She's got knee issues and she held up just fine.

For me... I feel like I know how to lose weight because I've done so much research over it; I just can't seem to get myself up from whatever I'm doing and get on the treadmill. Chasing a basketball or whacking a tennis ball is the only fun I get when exercising, since there's some goal involved (like getting the basketball through the hoop, etc.), or something to chase. I feel like a dog. haha.

I eat a lot of chicken... but since you don't eat bird, maybe fish would do the trick? I'm not a huge fan of fish, probably because I can't find a recipe for it that doesn't involve huge preparation or tons of add-on calories.

I'm going to start forcing myself to do more cardio, and who knows... maybe I'll start enjoying an hour-long treadmill run. I get bored after the first 10 minutes though... eh, we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me... I feel like I know how to lose weight because I've done so much research over it; I just can't seem to get myself up from whatever I'm doing and get on the treadmill. Chasing a basketball or whacking a tennis ball is the only fun I get when exercising, since there's some goal involved (like getting the basketball through the hoop, etc.), or something to chase. I feel like a dog. haha.

I eat a lot of chicken... but since you don't eat bird, maybe fish would do the trick? I'm not a huge fan of fish, probably because I can't find a recipe for it that doesn't involve huge preparation or tons of add-on calories.

I'm going to start forcing myself to do more cardio, and who knows... maybe I'll start enjoying an hour-long treadmill run. I get bored after the first 10 minutes though... eh, we'll see.

this. oh man i can't agree more. i eat very little meat throughout the week with very few processed carbs. i drink a lot of water. i eat fresh veggies and fruits. i buy foods without preservatives and hormones. I have cut my portions back significantly. I eat very little cheese. I try to maintain a good healthy diet. It isn't that I don't eat chicken or beef or whatever, i just eat very little. But i cannot get my ass to stop reading, playing video games, watching tv, or playing on my computer and get on a treadmill. And when I do, I am in hell for 10 minutes and I usually push it to 20. I hate every second of it.

Everyone I know says go run outside, but I am not in shape enough to run outside. And being that I work nights, running outside puts me exercising either when everyone is going to work or coming home from work. Embarrassing.

And I used to bodybuild with the bulking and cutting crap. I know exactly how to lose the fat, and how to put on lean muscle. I know the benefits of lean muscle mass and the what to eat post workout. I just don't do it. God typing this post out makes me feel pathetic, but I won't do a damn thing about it. And to top it all off, I have already lost 30 pounds. I just want to spit in my own face.

And I used to bodybuild with the bulking and cutting crap. I know exactly how to lose the fat, and how to put on lean muscle. I know the benefits of lean muscle mass and the what to eat post workout. I just don't do it.

I hear ya on this. I wasn't a body builder, but I lifted weights a LOT in high school... so I know all about protein and carb intake (I'm sure you do as well).

The concept behind losing weight is so simple... but it's one of those "easier said than done" things. I kinda wish I had a dog to have an excuse to go running. Maybe I can stitch a fishing wire on a baseball cap with a cupcake on the hook, and pretend like I'm chasing it. I've seen it on TV... so it must work.

ah, the thread title is much more of a joke. But no really, I thought a few people could benefit from a fitness/nutritional discussion (myself included) :)

I think Wily verbalized what we were all thinking, pretty much spot on.
Lol alright alright....just figured I'd throw my 2 cents in in case anyone was actually worried about the whole thing. People tend to get really nervous and worked up over lab and it turns out not to be a big deal at all :)

I am new to going to the gym. I went to the one on campus a handful of times during undergrad but that's it. I like the elliptical and hate running, but I could use some tips for getting started (like what equipment to start out with). I would like to lose 15ish lbs and tone all over, really.

I am new to going to the gym. I went to the one on campus a handful of times during undergrad but that's it. I like the elliptical and hate running, but I could use some tips for getting started (like what equipment to start out with). I would like to lose 15ish lbs and tone all over, really.
Are you a guy or a girl?

I do understand that nutrition plays a much larger role than exercising, and thus my biggest problem: what to buy/eat.

I go to the store and come back with vegetables, lean meats, etc. But what the hell do I make? How much portions is ideal, and how many times can I eat spinach salad before I throw up? Some of you more in touch with your nutrition throw up some sample menus for me. Show me what you eat on a daily basis.

Start with www.fitday.com and begin tracking your nutrient intake. I'm not sure what your fitness background is, but you are my size (+1 inch) down to the bodyfat if your estimate is on, which makes you in pretty decent shape to begin with. How are you measuring your body fat? Keep in mind most people can see abs decently at 13 and have an upcoming 6 pack at <11%. I broke my elbow 3 months ago so I'm just getting back to it but...

Personally, I cut on a 10-12x body weight in calories diet, aiming for high protein (I've been lifting forever) of 1.5x BW each day. This puts me at anywhere from 275-300g of protein a day. Fats and Carbs vary depending on how I want to eat each day, how much protein I'm getting and how I feel.

For you, the diet would be near identical to what I ate today so here's an example of my daily intake.

Breakfast: 3 Egg Whites, 2 Eggs, 2.5oz chicken, 1/2 cup spinach
Snack: Costco Turkey Burger (extra lean) with 100calorie whole wheat bun
Lunch: 5oz Chicken, 5oz Sweet Potato
Post Workout: Whey Protein Shake
Dinner: 12oz Tilapia with Mixed Veggies
Pre-Bed: Muscle Milk Protein Shake, 3g Fish Oil, Multivitamin

Macros: 2080 Calories, 52g fat, 106g carbs, 295g protein

This was a lower carb day than I usually get, but you get the idea.

As for workouts, I lift 4x per week
Monday - Legs
Tues - Chest
Thurs - Back
Fri - Shoulders & Arms

For Cardio: I'll get on a stationary bike after my workouts for 25 minutes. If I'm really looking to get into good shape I will do fasted cardio before eating breakfast and walk on a treadmill while reading notes for whatever class I have an upcoming test in for an hour at an incline. I emphasize WALKING on this one and that it is not really cardio. You don't want to burn through muscle doing something crazy while fasted. I normally set the treadmill on 3mph with a level 4 or whatever incline, increase it the leaner I get. I'll do this anywhere from 3-5 times per week.

For anyone that says things like this are too time consuming, especially those of you not in med school yet, its not. If working out is something you love (or even if you just do it to be healthy) you will find time for it. I have found time despite the fact that we have 11 exams in the next 23 days and I have head/neck anatomy tomorrow. I'll find time during finals week, residency, etc. Its good stress relief and will help keep you sane, trust me

That's triple the amount of calories from protein than carbs; your liver has no way of processing that much in a day and could eventually lead to issues down the line. Unless your goal is to kick into keto, I think it's too much.

That's triple the amount of calories from protein than carbs; your liver has no way of processing that much in a day and could eventually lead to issues down the line. Unless your goal is to kick into keto, I think it's too much.

Its less than 3x for one, and I said it was lower carbs today than normal. I guarantee you will not get into Keto with 100-140g of carbs per day; you need MUCH lower than that. Without pre-existing liver conditions you will do no damage to your liver with excess protein. I've been doing this for plenty long and physiologically your body only needs 140g of carbs per day to maintain full function :rolleyes:

Sorry but coming for someone who was talking about snack wraps from McDonalds, I'm not going to make a major dietary change to something that works for me. Cutting weight and fat without losing muscle requires protein, high protein lets me do it.

Sorry, Arnold!

C4zeL.png

Its less than 3x for one, and I said it was lower carbs today than normal. I guarantee you will not get into Keto with 100-140g of carbs per day; you need MUCH lower than that. Without pre-existing liver conditions you will do no damage to your liver with excess protein. I've been doing this for plenty long and physiologically your body only needs 140g of carbs per day to maintain full function :rolleyes:

Sorry but coming for someone who was talking about snack wraps from McDonalds, I'm not going to make a major dietary change to something that works for me. Cutting weight and fat without losing muscle requires protein, high protein lets me do it.

I routinely stay below 150 g of carbs without problems. For me, I probably get into keto around 30-50 g/day. Personally, when I'm not training for anything, I'll do modified carb drop 3:1 (3 low, 1 high) or zig zag style diet (strict during the week, and free days on the weekends.)

And to be honest with you I did get to 6% BF eating fast food for one meal a day, when I did my first 90 days of P90x. Usually, I'd get a 6" whole wheat sub with double turkey, or the Chili from wendys and pour it over a salad.

I'm not sure what your fitness background is, but you are my size (+1 inch) down to the bodyfat if your estimate is on, which makes you in pretty decent shape to begin with. How are you measuring your body fat? Keep in mind most people can see abs decently at 13 and have an upcoming 6 pack at <11%.

haha, well, my father brought home two different BF machines from his work and I stole one (he works at a health clinic). They are the handheld kind, the ones that zap you as you hold it with both hands. I know it's probably highly inaccurate, but I figured it's giving me a rough idea.

My idea of "in shape" is not so much stats wise, but strength/cardiovascular fitness. I'm borderline hypertensive so I'd like to get that under control through exercise as well. I'm pretty weak given my size I think.

The other day on my SS routine, I was only pushing 135s for squats, bench, and deadlift. Just started <2 weeks ago, been trying to get the proper form down. I never really lifted before. The last type of physical sport I participated in was pole vaulting in high school, and I haven't really done much since.

23 year old female

There really isn't such a thing as "tone" imo. Work to lose body fat %, and that nice adipose layer over your muscles will disappear, leaving you with "toned" looking muscles.

Women in general have higher BF% than men do. Get that down.

Women in general have higher BF% than men do. Get that down.

Pshh... What do they have that could naturally raise their body fat % more than an average male?

Teach me Wily.

way interested in getting fit, but I have a ways to go. When I started college I was all concerned about getting "jacked." I ended up getting pretty swole. Was benching 450 max. But i just stopped caring. Now I just want to get to a healthy weight and be healthy. I can put on muscle, but I can't lose weight easily. I eat clean, exercise a normal amount, I don't smoke or drink, but I just need to lose the body fat. It is lame, but what do you do? As long as I am healthy.

That being said, I am on a staycation this week and I can't motivate myself to do anything but read and play video games. But I am all for getting fitter for OMM. Mainly so I don't grab a salad at DMU in the fall while everyone thinks, "oh man, he probably has no idea what that is."

That's damn impressive, were you doing any of the other big 3 (squatting, deadlifting) ?

That's damn impressive, were you doing any of the other big 3 (squatting, deadlifting) ?

nope just benching. no other exercises. :laugh: actually i was, and my deadlift was up there as were my squats, but I will admit that it wasn't where they should be comparatively. I don't remember what they were. benching is easy because every conversation with a tool at the gym starts with, "damn man, what do you bench?" who cares? what does a good bench do? nothing. Only the gym rats even know about deadlifts and few squat.

i've been out of it so long though, I would be impressed if I could still do 225. embarrassed.

Supplements: a good multi, Jack3d, and Muscle Milk (as I'm lactose intolerant and it is friggin delicious).

Recommend me a good multi. Currently taking some kind of OneaDay for Men (no iron). Also, what is this "Jack3d"? I've played around with supplements before.. currently have Creatine Mono, Muscle Milk Whey (from Costco!), Fish Oil, and Casein.

Currently take Creatine Mono with some gatorade (can't find dextrose around here to save my life) before workout, whey protein shake post workout, fish oil with meals, and I haven't even touched the Casein yet.

Also, with regards to that insulin thing by Dr. Willey that drgiaodds posted.. is that like intermittent fasting? Eat only during the morning/lunch, and fast the rest of the day?

Also, with regards to that insulin thing by Dr. Willey that drgiaodds posted.. is that like intermittent fasting? Eat only during the morning/lunch, and fast the rest of the day?

I was wondering the same thing. Also, according to his insulin spiking chart towards the end of the video, he talks about lipolysis and insulin levels have an inverse relationship. So is he assuming that most people exercise noon/evening?

I suppose if we enjoy exercising in the morning, the chart should be flipped. But that's a lot of calories to be taking in before bed. Hmm...

My normal routine is:

Breakfast - 1 egg on a piece of toast. Maybe a glass of 1% milk with splenda and instant coffee.

~1-2 hours later... do cardio.

Lunch - fruits, whey protein isolate shake (YUMMY!).

Lunch 2 - fruit, carb smart ice cream bar (only 100 cals! :love:)

Dinner - some form of chicken. I trim the extra fat off as well. Or 2 lean pockets (doesn't taste as bad as it sounds).

If I get hungry after dinner... I may have another carb smart ice cream bar. I'm a night owl, so I typically stay up till 4am every day. I also keep dumbbells in my room, so at night if I get bored, I just do some bicep, tricep, and shoulder workouts (nothing major... I just do it for fun, but I might do it longer to reap benefits).

I'm thinking about replacing one of the icecream bars with another whey protein shake. If you haven't used whey protein isolate and you're wanting to get some muscle, I highly recommend it. It tastes great, cools you down after a workout, and fills you up just enough.

-14 lbs down

190 squat
210 DL

Bench is at a mere two digits, but I recently started training with a man who pulled 500 raw, so we had to get back2basics.

COME AT ME BRO

I like Trutein protein.

-14 lbs down

190 squat
210 DL

Bench is at a mere two digits, but I recently started training with a man who pulled 500 raw, so we had to get back2basics.

COME AT ME BRO

I like Trutein protein.

Aw shiet, I'm getting out squated and out DL'd by a woman.

I accept it, for now...

131149190914.jpg

I'm horrible weak...Started lifting again in the beginning of January for the first time in a long time...aka a couple/few years...

Started 3x5 squatting (assss to grassss) at about 190, benching 170 3x5, and deadlifting 295 for about 4 singles. I can only do 1.5-2 (depending on the day) deadhang pullups now....I remember when I could do 8 :(

Anyway...I was consistent for about the first 2 weeks of january...but 1) I'm involved with a literature review I'm a little behind on and 2) lost my gym lock and have been to lazy to find it or buy a new one...so I haven't been back since then....I know..I'm making excuses

Anyway, so I'm sitting here drinking a Coor's (not the light version either), contemplating ordering a pizza like I did 2 days ago....Hmmmm decisions decisions

Tl;dr - I'm sucking at life right now

And to make matters worse, my gf can squat more than me right now...

anyway, so i'm sitting here drinking a coor's (not the light version either), contemplating ordering a pizza like i did 2 days ago....hmmmm decisions decisions

tl;dr - i'm sucking at life right now

Don't Do it!

This is such an awesome thread! I remember maybe six months ago there was a thread on the allo forum where someone asked if being overweight would put them at a disadvantage in interviews. That thread quickly devolved into, "Fat people have no excuse, they are disgusting, just being lazy etc."

Way to go guys on a great thread, coming from someone who will hopefully be one year behind you in med school. I used to run a lot, I was never good enough to be competitive, but I used to run 5 miles or so in ~40 minutes. I've put on a ton of weight since then and am just trying to gradually get it back.

Anyway, way to go.

Everyone's got their natural strong points. I can't do a pullup on my own (yet) and my max bench with improper form was 90 lbs. Right now coach has me at 70 lbs with proper form.

I'm 4'11" and I have some decent stumps for legs. I started with stronglifts5x5 with the bar and worked my way up.

I also recommend videotaping yourself to check your form if you don't have a workout partner. Getting someone to critique my vids helped me break past my 160 lb squat plateau and it was really a 1-2 simple changes.

Right now I'm dieting for fat loss, so my numbers have taken a bit of a hit.

As far as food goes, I'm generally eating chicken, chicken, broccoli, extra virgin coconut oil, trutein, and oatmeal.

I think people, especially females, need to remember to eat. Cutting too many calories too quickly can fry out your metabolism.

Last edited:
My boyfriend is training me according to Rippetoe's routine. I've been doing the squat, dead lift, bench press, and overhead press. I'm four weeks in and I hope to reach novice training before school starts in the fall!
Some stats:
Female, 23 years old, 130 lbs, 5'7"
Strength to date: squat 65 pounds, bench press 50 lbs, deadlift 65 lbs, overhead 30 lbs.

Keep at it lady! :) It always makes me happy seeing women lift weights. :love:

Can I tell myself that I'm probably >70lbs over your weight, add that to my squat amount (since I have to squat my body weight + iron weight), puts me at 200lb squat.

SUP COME AT ME BRO

super jokes on this post.

trololololololololololololol

I GOT YO MYSPACE ANGLES HERE BROCHACHO

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6690484563_58fdb41fbf.jpg Hopefully these can get a bit smaller as far as fat goes for that "toned" look LOLOLOLOL TONE

Right now I'm on something along the lines of 531 for the squat and DL while we address my seriously weak upper body.

Check out my website for Free Fitness Advice.

http://www.toneyourbod.com

I still have some work to do on the site and some sections to add, but it has a good section with free diet plans, and also some weight exercises, etc etc.

for those that hate running, i got on my treadmill tonight and ran until i was bored and hating life. when this happened, I looked at the time. 4 minutes and 33 seconds. I am unreal awesome.

But then I said, "screw it, I am going to try a high intensity interval type workout." This made a world of difference. I didn't get bored as I worked 1 minute at a time. so some of you that hate running like i do, maybe try doing an interval thing.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I can't even resist trolling my own threads.

Last edited:
Same here, I get bored while running and then I just feel like quitting. It takes so much mental energy to force myself to run but by the time I am half way through I feel great.

I prefer running outside with a partner/group because it really motivates me. That's why races are so awesome!