The 2011-2012 "Let's Get Fit before OMM Class" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here, I get bored while running and then I just feel like quitting. It takes so much mental energy to force myself to run but by the time I am half way through I feel great.

I prefer running outside with a partner/group because it really motivates me. That's why races are so awesome!

Same here. It helps when there's some type of goal involved... whether racing, basketball, tennis, etc.

I do intervals as well. It definitely makes things more interesting, but only for 30 minutes. Then I'm back to being bored.

Another problem is that after a week, my music playlist gets old... but there aren't enough good running songs to update my ipod ever week. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
have you guys tried insanity with shaun t? haha i have to admit the guy is really cheesey and lame, but the workout is great. p90x is alright, but you have to have the weights at home and the pull up bar

http://www.beachbody.com/text/products/programs/insanity/popup_wht_control/shaun.html

I've started it, you can find it online places for free, but I always get bored during the 2nd or 3rd week. Also, not really able to lift weights while you are doing it (partly because its time consuming and partly because its just draining) and since weight lifting is my stress relief I've never finished it.

As with any of those beachbody workouts you have to follow the diet to get the real results, which comes down to it again. Diet is the most important part of leaning out. Abs are made in the kitchen and all that jazz...

I'm horrible weak...Started lifting again in the beginning of January for the first time in a long time...aka a couple/few years...

Anyway...I was consistent for about the first 2 weeks of january...but 1) I'm involved with a literature review I'm a little behind on and 2) lost my gym lock and have been to lazy to find it or buy a new one...so I haven't been back since then....I know..I'm making excuses

Anyway, so I'm sitting here drinking a Coor's (not the light version either), contemplating ordering a pizza like I did 2 days ago....Hmmmm decisions decisions

This what you remind me of:

9OAvf.jpg

At the end of the day, your health is your responsibility.

tumblr_lnzlzp4lqx1qke924o1_500.png

tumblr_lo1se4vmee1qke924o1_500.png

tumblr_lolt83Qn2C1qke924o1_500.png

fitness-motivation-1.jpg

tumblr_lrorc7p1pr1qke924o1_500.png

So I hate running with a passion. Like, really bad. What are some other ways to get in a good cardio workout?

I used to do the kickboxing for my cardio, because I enjoyed beating the crap out of other people/pads/bag. Now I can't do that at my home gym.

Any suggestions? Preferably low impact so that my girl can participate (she has bad knees from a snowboarding accident)

Got a road bike this summer...biking is so much fun and a great, low-impact workout. You can knock out 10 miles easily without wrecking your knees and ankles.

I used to do some band resistance stuff, not quite as much cardio as kickboxing and running but it will do...

Also if you put your mind in the gutter there is cardio that you and your lady friend can participate in at the same time... :cool:

LOVE bands. Great way to supplement free weights -- loop a band around a 45-lb barbell, step on both ends of the band, then curl away for a great workout (and if you're studying for the MCAT, it's good practice for those physics spring problems).

I'd swim everyday if I could, but I won't pay for a gym membership that has a pool...

sooo.... have to stick to things I can do without paying... and no, I don't live close enough to the beach to go everyday!

Your school doesn't have a natatorium and/or a pool in the student rec complex??

YES! Everywhere has a mall that they can speed walk in. And your girl would love it!

No

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/a-few-words-about-discipline-and-sacrifice/

People that aren’t like me often ask how I get by on so little sleep and how I eat the things I do day in and day out. They really don’t understand…and the explanations I offer up don’t really seem to bring them any closer to seeing things from my point of view. Just as frequently they state that they could never do that, but always offer excuses as to why right along with it. When I talk about things like training through major injuries, training myself to endure pain and some of the really crazy stuff I have done and continue to do, I see a bewildered look in people’s faces and right then it really hits me just how different I am from most of the people in this world. I often feel like I’m speaking a foreign language and it’s just not possible to communicate what goes on in my mind.

I realize that a majority of the people in the world (or at least in this country) suffer from weakness and the inability to force themselves to do the things that are necessary to achieve the things that they would really like to in life. For me, the pain of failing to achieve what I set out to do is much greater than the pain I endure to do what is required of me to achieve those goals. I can think of nothing worse or more painful than to give up and never move closer to the things I really desire. It is this fear of failure that often drives me and far outweighs the pain of discipline and sacrifice.

My attitude is not at all unique, though. This same level of discipline and sacrifice is displayed universally throughout the world and not only in athletics, but in academics, business and any other pursuits that people are passionate about. If you look at anyone that is extremely successful in their chosen passion you will find not only a very similar level of discipline, but also a very similar degree of sacrifice. Simply put– it is what is required to separate yourself from the masses, for if you wish to achieve more than most, you must be willing to suffer more than most. This is an ideology I willingly embrace and if you are among that minority that desires to be more than average in life…so should you.

Recommend me a good multi. Currently taking some kind of OneaDay for Men (no iron). Also, what is this "Jack3d"? I've played around with supplements before.. currently have Creatine Mono, Muscle Milk Whey (from Costco!), Fish Oil, and Casein.

Currently take Creatine Mono with some gatorade (can't find dextrose around here to save my life) before workout, whey protein shake post workout, fish oil with meals, and I haven't even touched the Casein yet.

188067_215948871767532_332265_q.jpg
Jack3d is an NO booster (pre-workout). It doesn't have a bunch of the filler like other ones do. #3 best selling supplement on bodybuilding.com and going strong for years. Best pre-workout for 2010 and 2011. MusclePharm's Assault is a new up and comer. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/top-5-reasons-you-should-try-jack3d-as-your-preworkout.htm (I was on the stair climber in the bottom picture earlier tonight for my warmup. They shoot at our gyms all the time).

I take the dot-fit active multivitamin (formerly Apex), but you can go with whatever, as long as it's not generic and as long as it dissolves in coke or vinegar in 30 minutes or less. Gold Standard and Animal Pak are two big ones.

Muscle Milk Whey (love Costco!) is great. I drink regular Muscle Milk when they have it.

188067_215948871767532_332265_q.jpg
Jack3d is an NO booster (pre-workout). It doesn't have a bunch of the filler like other ones do. #3 best selling supplement on bodybuilding.com and going strong for years. Best pre-workout for 2010 and 2011. MusclePharm's Assault is a new up and comer. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/top-5-reasons-you-should-try-jack3d-as-your-preworkout.htm (I was on the stair climber in the bottom picture earlier tonight for my warmup. They shoot at our gyms all the time).

I take the dot-fit active multivitamin (formerly Apex), but you can go with whatever, as long as it's not generic and as long as it dissolves in coke or vinegar in 30 minutes or less. Gold Standard and Animal Pak are two big ones.

Muscle Milk Whey (love Costco!) is great. I drink regular Muscle Milk when they have it.

Relatively, Muscle Milk is high in fat and contains heavy metals. There are better options out there.

I use 2:1:1 recovery or Dr. Willey's blend and for protein I use Dymatize Iso 100.

Same here. It helps when there's some type of goal involved... whether racing, basketball, tennis, etc.

I do intervals as well. It definitely makes things more interesting, but only for 30 minutes. Then I'm back to being bored.

Another problem is that after a week, my music playlist gets old... but there aren't enough good running songs to update my ipod ever week. :mad:

You guys crack me up. Get rid of the excuses and just do it. Make it a part of your life and be consistent.

All the beach body programs are ok--I'd say p90x was the best, the rest are ok, but I enjoy going to the gym.

Members don't see this ad :)
This what you remind me of:

9OAvf.jpg

At the end of the day, your health is your responsibility.

tumblr_lnzlzp4lqx1qke924o1_500.png

tumblr_lo1se4vmee1qke924o1_500.png

tumblr_lolt83Qn2C1qke924o1_500.png

fitness-motivation-1.jpg

tumblr_lrorc7p1pr1qke924o1_500.png

Hah, alright buddy. b/c I'm drinking a few beers and occasionally eating pizza I'm a failure. When I wrote that, I meant to add a little humor to the thread. I might be making some excuses to not be going to the gym right now, but hell, I'm only human.

So I'm not an elite athlete right now...my HDL, LDL, trigylcerides, FBS, etc. are completely fine. Sure, my gf can squat more than me :)p)...she's a a varsity shot putter/discus/soccer player. I'd like to think I'm not horrible shape for not working out for a while. Just because I'm not the best that I can personally be in oneeeee single aspect of my life (fitness, which I used to take very very seriously), doesn't mean I'm not some diabetic, hypertensive, obese non-compliant patient you should bombast with no regard to even knowing who the hell I am. Take "lazy" me compared the baseline fitness of the majority of your future patients and you'd realize you're blowin smoke out your ass.

Internet fight. Coooool. I'd say we should just have a beer and chill, but hell, I'd think you'd judge me for suggesting we consume those extra carbs

I'm a lover not a fighter.

Guess I should have specified I was posting general motivational posters for readers of the thread. Only the first pic was directed at you as I too sensed the funny and went there also :D

Cracking open a Pacifico now. Cheers.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ[/YOUTUBE]

This is one of my favorite videos. I actually prefer the original speaker's video (since the other one leaves out some things), but both are amazing:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NQREuc7JX8[/YOUTUBE]

I'm a lover not a fighter.

Guess I should have specified I was posting general motivational posters for readers of the thread. Only the first pic was directed at you as I too sensed the funny and went there also :D

Cracking open a Pacifico now. Cheers.

Mmm, Pacifico. Reminds me of spring break in mexico. I liked it much better than the otherstuff we were drinking (sol, tecate, etc)

Relatively, Muscle Milk is high in fat and contains heavy metals. There are better options out there.

The one that they are talking about is a cytosport 100% whey product that is made by the makers of muscle milk. Its 40 bucks for a 6lb bag and has some good macros. It's safe and low in fat. I use actual muscle milk at the end of the day because I have it and I'm not gonna let it go to waste, fats and casein in it make it a decent late night snack as long as you don't go overboard with it.

Recommend me a good multi. Currently taking some kind of OneaDay for Men (no iron). Also, what is this "Jack3d"? I've played around with supplements before.. currently have Creatine Mono, Muscle Milk Whey (from Costco!), Fish Oil, and Casein.

Currently take Creatine Mono with some gatorade (can't find dextrose around here to save my life) before workout, whey protein shake post workout, fish oil with meals, and I haven't even touched the Casein yet.

You don't need an iron supplement. Most physicians don't recommend them anyway unless you are anemic. I use the One-a-Day Men also, it works out fine. Most of the time, many of your nutrients should be met by a balanced diet anyway. Some studies have shown that multi-vitamins and other pill forms don't give the same nutritional benefits as their whole food counter-parts (at least thats what they told us in lecture).

As said before, Jack3d is a pre-workout NO product. Caffeine, NOS, etc. Same as NO-Xplode, White Flood, etc. I have never used nor liked Creatine so I can't speak to that. Casein is a good pre-bed protein, same as if you were to have cottage cheese or something similar. Slower digesting protein. You can get dextrose or waxy maize starch online, they aren't very expensive but also aren't very necessary unless you are trying to force down high amounts of carbs. Gatorade is fine. I only use dextrose/waxy maize when I am carb cycling to gain weight

Last edited:
in the past 2 years ive worked out... ive put on 30 pounds of muscle. you dont need to take all these supplements and whatnot... im now 145 pounds and i flat bench 285 and decline bench 300 - all i take is protein and creatine along with a multivitamin every day. all it takes is hard work and dedication... if u slack and dont wanna do it then youre not going to get results

Ugh, I'm waiting on the Austin Marathon to come. Marathon training made me lose a lot of muscle mass and tone, and I'm way too exhausted to lift after running. In a few weeks, Operation Explode will commence

Its amazing how much a good nights sleep helps. I'm a night owl and am usually content and functional with 3-4 hours of sleep... But last night I randomly got about 8 hours and did some intense intervals today on the treadmill, followed by weights. I was so energized! I might do another round this evening.

Has anyone used melatonin pills before? I'm considering a natural aid to help me sleep more. I avoid taking pain killers and sleeping pills, so I figure melatonin would be a good option.

Internet lulz aside, there's always a choice. You always have a choice. If drinking in moderation improves your QOL then more power to you.

A multi and some BCAAs intra and post-w/o are all I've done so far. I don't think I've really reached a point where I needed much else for now, as my diet is dialed in and fat loss is coming along.

Well, I know that it's damn near impossible do cut weight and get jacked at the same time.. so I'm doing one at a time. Thanks for that website, I'll take a look!

In your situation, you should do both. You need to get lean before you start trying to build copious amounts of muscle. Otherwise you're going to be disappointed with your appearance. Rippetoe is a hell of a way to start and based on that name-drop alone you've done your homework. Stick with that program - you'll build a better foundation than any kind of system you or anyone else tries to put together. You will be shocked how much stronger you get in a short period of time.

Watch some of his videos on YouTube and make sure you're using the correct form. Even if you think you are, you might not be. I realized after watching them that I was doing squats wrong for 15 years. It's shocking how insightful he is and how much he knows about body mechanics.

Remember, as you build muscle your basal metabolic rate increases. In layman's terms, the more muscle you contain the more calories it takes to maintain that muscle. Hence, that's why if you're doing it right you're able to maintain approximately the same weight but change your body size and composition drastically. A pound of fat is roughly the size of a grapfruit while a pound of muscle is roughly the size of a large lemon.

Nutritionally, if you need a good place to start, Weight Watchers is pretty much a calories in / calories out kind of diet. It's not as "clean" as if you counted your own calories and it doesn't factor in nutrient breakdown but it's a good place to begin. There's tons of apps for smartphones (many free) that will let you look up the points for varieties of foods. Additionally, you can calculate your points allowance online. No need to pay. Something many people also don't know is that WW gives you ~35 flex points per week to use as you wish. Whether it be a dessert a couple nights a week or 5 extra points per day. As you start eating healthier, start logging your intake into something like MyFitnessPal so you can see a breakdown of where your calories are coming from in terms of macronutrients.

In terms of body building there are two things worse than just appearing out of shape in my mind. One is having absolutely no muscle mass and looking soft. The other is having lots of extra body fat and being muscular underneath it. The latter will just make you feel more out of shape than you already do because you're bulky. So, do both at once, shed the pounds and add a solid layer of muscle underneath with Rippetoe.

I can't give up soda either so I started drinking diet sodas. Aspartame is somewhat addicting and can cause you to crave sugar more than sugar itself but it's harmful effects are exaggerated. People often cite its breakdown in the body to formaldehyde but we did some literature research on the topic in Biochem and discovered that fruit juices are broken down in greater quantities to formaldehyde byproduct than diet sodas. Additionally, you would need to drink like a couple hundred of them at once to cause any toxic effect.

My opinion... worth price paid.

[Edit]: I forgot, if you do weight watchers you'll need to take a really good men's multivitamin. Make sure it has all the calcium you need. A legit study found the program to be safe (after all it's just a calorie in/out) with the exception of most participants not getting quite enough FDA recommended essential vitamins and nutrients.

Last edited:
Its amazing how much a good nights sleep helps. I'm a night owl and am usually content and functional with 3-4 hours of sleep... But last night I randomly got about 8 hours and did some intense intervals today on the treadmill, followed by weights. I was so energized! I might do another round this evening.

Has anyone used melatonin pills before? I'm considering a natural aid to help me sleep more. I avoid taking pain killers and sleeping pills, so I figure melatonin would be a good option.

I've used melatonin on occasion in short intervals. Especially when I was a cop on night shift and my schedule would abruptly change to days. After living that life I can tell you how brutal changing your sleep cycle consistently really is. EM docs probably experience the same sh~t I'm sure.

It's not something to take long-term (read online about long-term effects) but I never had any negative side effects. I did have some weird ass dreams so be prepared to jump on grenades and soar through the air like a bird. I'm only half kidding.

They usually sell melatonin in like 2mg or 4mg tablets. The first time I took it, I bought the 4mg tablets and I was an absolute zombie the entire next day. Long story short, I worked my way down, and now I take 0.5mg of a 2mg tablet when I use it. That's more than enough to knock me out. I'd start small and work my way up until you figure out what won't make you groggy the next day.

It's a bit difficult to build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

I have some issues with WW. What I did like from the program that I use today are weighing out my food and journaling my diet/exercise. Paying attention to my macros did a whole hell of a better job for me in terms of WL. I'm eating way more in terms of cals and am still dropping. Obligatory YMMV and if it works for you, kudos.

+1 on myfitnesspal

When I move out to CA I'd like to run a DEXA scan on my booty.

In your situation, you should do both. You need to get lean before you start trying to build copious amounts of muscle. Otherwise you're going to be disappointed with your appearance. Rippetoe is a hell of a way to start and based on that name-drop alone you've done your homework. Stick with that program - you'll build a better foundation than any kind of system you or anyone else tries to put together. You will be shocked how much stronger you get in a short period of time.

Watch some of his videos on YouTube and make sure you're using the correct form. Even if you think you are, you might not be. I realized after watching them that I was doing squats wrong for 15 years. It's shocking how insightful he is and how much he knows about body mechanics.

Remember, as you build muscle your basal metabolic rate increases. In layman's terms, the more muscle you contain the more calories it takes to maintain that muscle. Hence, that's why if you're doing it right you're able to maintain approximately the same weight but change your body size and composition drastically. A pound of fat is roughly the size of a grapfruit while a pound of muscle is roughly the size of a large lemon.

Nutritionally, if you need a good place to start, Weight Watchers is pretty much a calories in / calories out kind of diet. It's not as "clean" as if you counted your own calories and it doesn't factor in nutrient breakdown but it's a good place to begin. There's tons of apps for smartphones (many free) that will let you look up the points for varieties of foods. Additionally, you can calculate your points allowance online. No need to pay. Something many people also don't know is that WW gives you ~35 flex points per week to use as you wish. Whether it be a dessert a couple nights a week or 5 extra points per day. As you start eating healthier, start logging your intake into something like MyFitnessPal so you can see a breakdown of where your calories are coming from in terms of macronutrients.

In terms of body building there are two things worse than just appearing out of shape in my mind. One is having absolutely no muscle mass and looking soft. The other is having lots of extra body fat and being muscular underneath it. The latter will just make you feel more out of shape than you already do because you're bulky. So, do both at once, shed the pounds and add a solid layer of muscle underneath with Rippetoe.

I can't give up soda either so I started drinking diet sodas. Aspartame is somewhat addicting and can cause you to crave sugar more than sugar itself but it's harmful effects are exaggerated. People often cite its breakdown in the body to formaldehyde but we did some literature research on the topic in Biochem and discovered that fruit juices are broken down in greater quantities to formaldehyde byproduct than diet sodas. Additionally, you would need to drink like a couple hundred of them at once to cause any toxic effect.

My opinion... worth price paid.

[Edit]: I forgot, if you do weight watchers you'll need to take a really good men's multivitamin. Make sure it has all the calcium you need. A legit study found the program to be safe (after all it's just a calorie in/out) with the exception of most participants not getting quite enough FDA recommended essential vitamins and nutrients.

Good info CopToEm.....but DrWilly is nearly correct in saying that it is nearly impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (except maybe when you first start working out....its called the "Honeymoon Phase" where you can't do anything wrong. If you simply work out and attempt to eat right you will lose fat and build muscle). But once you have been working out for 6 months straight or longer it is nearly impossible to do both simultaneously.
You can either be in a catabolic state (calorie defficient) where you lose both fat and muscle at the same time (hopefully if your diet is right, ie high protein, you will lose much more fat than muscle). Or you can be in an anabolic state (calorie surplus) where you gain muscle and sometimes fat (hopefully if your diet is right you will gain much more muscle and very little fat).
It's a simple equation of: calories in vs. calories utilized. Of course you want to be sure that your macronutrient ratios are balanced (protein, carbs, and fat) to optimize your bodies nutrient delivery.

I explain a lot of this for free at my website http://www.toneyourbod.com

(I am not trying to use SDN to promote my website, I just figured it applied to this thread and may help some people. I have trained hundreds of people with great results, you can take it or leave it.)

Last edited:
I just got finished running sprints (and nearly passing out), and I thought about this group and OMM while I was doing it. I'm all in!

Don't mind me, just gonna sweat away the calories from my Superbowl party. We made nachos with so much cheese/win! Did you guys behave?

Don't mind me, just gonna sweat away the calories from my Superbowl party. We made nachos with so much cheese/win! Did you guys behave?

no :laugh: I had to reset my leptin levels.:thumbup:

A 3 mg melatonin tablet knocks me out in about a half-hour. But like CopToEM said, it also gives me crazy dreams (more like nightmares) when I take it. I stopped taking it pretty quickly, but I used Schiff brand tablets. They're cheap and effective.

I had Panda Express! It's surprisingly not too high in calories (I had the mushroom chicken and kung pow chicken entrees). Ate only half of the steamed rice to avoid too many carbs.

I might have it again tomorrow! YUM.

It was a good game too.

I know this thread has lost its steam, but i just wanted to say to the people have problems motivating yourselves: I have incorporated a high intensity interval program for my cardio is it 100x easier to stick with it. I got really bored with long runs and tried to make every excuse I could. But with this interval stuff I take one minute at a time and it is exponentially easier to handle. And I push myself much more than normal because i only look at one minute at a time.

I highly recommend to those that don't want to get on a treadmill because it is boring. This past week has really helped keep me on track.

For me, I think that one of my main issues is form checking my squat. I don't work out with anyone, and trying to record a good video with my iphone is proving more difficult that I care to admit.

On a lighter note, moving into a new house that already has a pre-existing hook to hang a heavy bag has me psyched. Going to hang one up and go to town for my cardio/skill training.

Good for you, man. HIIT is where it's at. Everyone thinks its the way to go if you want to lose fat and keep your muscle mass (I remain skeptical). I think it's imperative that you switch things up often. Go row 5k, then bike 10k, then run 5k, then swim 1k, then climb 100 floors, each on different days, etc.

I agree--outdoor running is way better than "dreadmill" running. Races are great because you see everyone of all shapes and sizes running.

On a side note--Youtube 23 1/2 hours. The doctor who made the video gives the real reason why we should exercise for 30 min a day.

Good for you, man. HIIT is where it's at. Everyone thinks its the way to go if you want to lose fat and keep your muscle mass (I remain skeptical). I think it's imperative that you switch things up often. Go row 5k, then bike 10k, then run 5k, then swim 1k, then climb 100 floors, each on different days, etc.

And I am sure you are right, but I am just going to focus on getting into a habit and sticking with it long term (couple months) before I try a marathon. Lol.

I know a group does Insanity at DCOM every day. I'd like to add Crossfit to the mix!!

I know a group does Insanity at DCOM every day. I'd like to add Crossfit to the mix!!

I am the Command Fitness Leader at the Naval Base I work at. We alternate insanity, P90X, Cross-Fit, and Heavy Weight Training every day (its awesome!). I would love to bring this to DCOM (see you there CopToEM)!

P.S. HIIT training is phenomenal if done right. I know from personal experience that you can lose tremendous amounts of fat while sparing muscle. I went from 14% bodyfat to 3.5% bodyfat, and kept my muscle (it was for a natural bodybuilding show), utilizing HIIT training and a proper diet.

I am the Command Fitness Leader at the Naval Base I work at. We alternate insanity, P90X, Cross-Fit, and Heavy Weight Training every day (its awesome!). I would love to bring this to DCOM (see you there CopToEM)!

P.S. HIIT training is phenomenal if done right. I know from personal experience that you can lose tremendous amounts of fat while sparing muscle. I went from 14% bodyfat to 3.5% bodyfat, and kept my muscle (it was for a natural bodybuilding show), utilizing HIIT training and a proper diet.

I ran 6 marathons in 3 years and lost very little muscle and I wasn't exactly jogging as my best was 3:22 and my worst 3:44. It can be done with proper diet.

I ran 6 marathons in 3 years and lost very little muscle and I wasn't exactly jogging as my best was 3:22 and my worst 3:44. It can be done with proper diet.

Yes...but try and get down to under 5% bodyfat with just running! It can be done.....but I promise you will lose a %$@# load of muscle.

I don't think you calculated your body fat right, 3.5% is not healthy/normal.

For me, I think that one of my main issues is form checking my squat. I don't work out with anyone, and trying to record a good video with my iphone is proving more difficult that I care to admit.

On a lighter note, moving into a new house that already has a pre-existing hook to hang a heavy bag has me psyched. Going to hang one up and go to town for my cardio/skill training.

I use an iphone for my vids too. It's rather annoying, but doable.

Diet >>>>> exercise I think I was the fattest half marathoner when I did my one race lol

It's only Thursday and I've surpassed last Saturday's low. So that makes for a lil over 14 lbs lost and didn't start incorporating HIIT til recently.

531 for squats/DLs

I hired someone to help with my bench / SOHP

I do understand that nutrition plays a much larger role than exercising, and thus my biggest problem: what to buy/eat.

I go to the store and come back with vegetables, lean meats, etc. But what the hell do I make? How much portions is ideal, and how many times can I eat spinach salad before I throw up? Some of you more in touch with your nutrition throw up some sample menus for me. Show me what you eat on a daily basis.

Back before I was working 80 hours a week and could hit the gym daily, I would eat kidney beans with tuna and egg white omlettes as a post-workout meal. Both have a ridiculous amount of protein, very little fat, and some good ol' fiber.

As far as diet, the amount really varies depending on the person (base metabolism, what you do during the day for work/school, how intense your workouts are, how often your workouts are, etc.). Personally, I think anything under ~1500 cal. a day for an active male is to low to provide you necessary energy, especially if you are starting a new workout routine. What you put in your body is 1000x more important, although portions do matter, obviously.

Breakfast is what kills a lot of people. Most cerals, breakfast drinks, pastries, etc have ridiculous amounts of bad carbs. My recommendation, if you don't like oatmeal, start liking it. Egg white omlettes are also great. If you drink coffee with sweetener or cream, try to cut back on the amount you put in. Completely trash any fruit juice/drinks.

Other than that, lean sources of protein (chicken, fish, lean steak, egg whites), veggies, legumes, and slow burning carbs are what I would build a diet on for gaining muscle and losing fat. Make sure you're eating often. Take healthy snacks with you for between meals if you can't eat full meals every 3-4 hours.

And to answer your previous question regarding burning fat vs building muscle first, unless you're looking to get bulked, I would recommend building a workout routine that is balanced enough to do both. If you are just lifting, you're going to put on the muscle but not going to lose a lot of fat. Do a well rounded workout of lifting, cardio and core and you'll gain muscle but at the same time be cutting unwanted fat. I know there's the old adage that you can't do both at the same time, but a well designed workout routine definitely will do both.

Now if you are wanting to really bulk up, then I would recommend putting on the muscle first. In order to do this, you are going to have to be eating a LOT, which is not conducive to fat loss. However, once you have bulked up, the added muscles will help you burn fat so then you can cut back on the amount of food you're eating, keep up maintainance lifting and focus on toning. This can be tricky though. I know a lot of people who have tried to do this and end up being big but not toned at all. You have to make sure you do it right if you're going to do it.

As far as another form of cardio other than running, try mountain biking. Find a decent bike and go hit a single track trail around your area and you will be hooked (if you like that outdoors at least). It's tough to find a better cardio and core workout and it is a lot more entertaining than riding on the road or swimming back and forth in a pool.

I would love to get in great shape before school, but alas working 80 hours a week plus having a newborn just is not conducive to getting into the best shape of my life :rolleyes:

Well since we are showing pictures/questioning my integrity....here you go:

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/dicedone/

I had it calculated by a trained Microfit specialist. If I wasn't 3.5% I was darn close.[/QUOTE

I was running 50 miles a week in those pictures from the blog. I am now in the process of dieting for a show in march so we will see.(and 3.5 is normal for bodybuilders that are show ready) The point I was making was that I didn't have trouble maintaining muscle with all that cardio. It all comes down to genetics and nutrition. Personally, I think food timing is a big part of the equation. Proper recovery meals are key.

Well since we are showing pictures/questioning my integrity....here you go:

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/dicedone/

I had it calculated by a trained Microfit specialist. If I wasn't 3.5% I was darn close.[/QUOTE

I was running 50 miles a week in those pictures from the blog. I am now in the process of dieting for a show in march so we will see.(and 3.5 is normal for bodybuilders that are show ready) The point I was making was that I didn't have trouble maintaining muscle with all that cardio. It all comes down to genetics and nutrition. Personally, I think food timing is a big part of the equation. Proper recovery meals are key.

Most of the professional bodybuilders and amateur bodybuilders I have spoke with tend to be of the philosophy that long steady-state cardio does burn fat, but at the expense of a lot of muscle. However, in the past I used to run 8 miles a day and still maintained a very toned physique, but in order for me to pack on another 15 pounds of muscle I had to adjust my cardio and diet.

I have seen studies that have shown support for both of our arguments, so in the end I digress. If running is your favorite type of cardio, then by all means continue. (I still have to run at least 3 times a week because I am in the Navy...:rolleyes:)

By the way, what show are you going to do?